Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really like the bard changes. Encouraging you to Always Be Singing fits the bard class fantasy much better, and I also really like having fewer cool downs to remember to use.

And of course you now have a flute, which is huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

pld's damage was way more than 'brought up to par'. the changes are over the top and if square enix gave a poo poo at all about actual game balance the changes would be tweaked by 4.1, but they don't so pld will be stupid until 5.0.

PLD's in a place now where they have a mechanic for being brought up to FELL CLEAVE META but if they do too much all it takes is some numbers changing. Before there was nothing they could change to give paladin a big burst until a rework, so that's what they did.

And if you think yoshi doesn't give a poo poo about game balance I invite you to go look over at what's going on in wow for legion. Class balance in FFXIV has always actually been really good, but shitlords scream about the meta constantly on reddit so people actually believe you couldn't kill A3S without a meta comp (you could and people are poo poo).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I find the cleric stance change makes playing any of the healers now feel incredibly slick.

My one complaint is that it makes it a little harder to see at a glance if I'm with an Honest HealerTM or not.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/877194344003887106

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So will we be melding STR on tank gear?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I should hate this but I kind of don't

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard a lot of people complaining about how their class was ruined in Stormblood--are there any classes that people are (mostly, this is still the internet) agreeing got better?

MCH and PLD are enormously improved.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

If they left vit as a mainstat they couldn't have changed weakness in the way they did.

Also it's a deliberate tank nerf because eventually we'll all have to use vit gear for stormblood stuff.

Changing tank AP to 100% str was on OK decision and probably necessary. The stupid decision was making jewelry role restricted, because it fucks over tanks outside of group content. All they had to do was make it so that mobs hit hard enough that you'd want to wear vit jewelry.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard a lot of people complaining about how their class was ruined in Stormblood--are there any classes that people are (mostly, this is still the internet) agreeing got better?

I'm not at 70 yet but BLM is way more forgiving now, both in terms of Enochian being easy to keep up and with being able to teleport back to ley lines.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

Changing tank AP to 100% str was on OK decision and probably necessary. The stupid decision was making jewelry role restricted, because it fucks over tanks outside of group content. All they had to do was make it so that mobs hit hard enough that you'd want to wear vit jewelry.

I feel like they blunted this with Grade VI materia. Also, people are selling their grade V materia for ridiculously cheap on the MB because of all the quests making GBS threads it on you, now's a good time to stock up to either sell later or use for yourself. People were selling GV crit materia for 900 gil per yesterday.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SirPhoebos posted:

My one complaint is that it makes it a little harder to see at a glance if I'm with an Honest HealerTM or not.

Are healers still some kind of weird chattel that gets whipped and beaten if they press a button that doesn't raise HP? That's the overall attitude I remember from WoW circa Lich King :v:

I remember in City of Heroes people would try to be a pure "healer" as the Defender class, and it was... a real mess. People get weird ideas about classes with heal buttons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's the meteor-shaped onion ring that makes this good.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Are healers still some kind of weird chattel that gets whipped and beaten if they press a button that doesn't raise HP? That's the overall attitude I remember from WoW circa Lich King :v:

I remember in City of Heroes people would try to be a pure "healer" as the Defender class, and it was... a real mess. People get weird ideas about classes with heal buttons.

only if people die, and it seems like theres more damage being thrown around then before anyways.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Since I've been playing quite a bit of RDM and Machinist, this game DESPERATELY needs the proc-based notification icons that WoW has. I find myself doing nothing but staring at the bars to see when abilities are available (RDM) or has increased potency (MCH). The WoW ones show up around your character and really make proc-based gameplay much more convenient.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

There is a... let's say "debate" about whether healers should DPS or not (mostly "honest healers" who say they signed up to heal and you can't make them do damage :colbert:), but the general opinion from experienced players is that you should be helping with DPS whenever you don't need to use a GCD to heal someone. Two of the healers also have awesome, flashy AoE spells that you're gonna want to spam as much as possible just because they look sweet as hell, and the fact that you're being helpful in the process is just a bonus.

Basically nobody's going to yell at you for doing DPS if you're also keeping people up, and in general people will appreciate that you're making pulls go faster.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

deadly_pudding posted:

Being a trick arrow defnder was rough because despite the fact I could debuff things so much that people rarely took damage, people still threw a fit over heals.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Radioactive Toy posted:

Since I've been playing quite a bit of RDM and Machinist, this game DESPERATELY needs the proc-based notification icons that WoW has. I find myself doing nothing but staring at the bars to see when abilities are available (RDM) or has increased potency (MCH). The WoW ones show up around your character and really make proc-based gameplay much more convenient.

I agree, although rdm at least isn't so bad; at least the proc you have to watch for follows an instacast spell, so you have a little downtime to glance at your bars and see if anything's glowing.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
smoke the bole heal whatever

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 20, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
healers acting as put-upon martyrs is this really weird trope and i have no idea where that attitude comes from. i see it all the time in fan art where the Poor, Downtrodden Healer is being yelled at by the mean dps and tanks despite - naturally - playing their job perfectly, and i see this in FFXIV even more than usual.

i can't remember the last time i saw someone chew out anyone in a dungeon, let alone some conspiracy targeting healers. it feels like a myth people made up after one bad dungeon run

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There are enough poo poo people out there that I've run into them.

Lol at the anti-healer conspiracy though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ONION KNIGHT NEXT JOB?!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

PLD's in a place now where they have a mechanic for being brought up to FELL CLEAVE META but if they do too much all it takes is some numbers changing. Before there was nothing they could change to give paladin a big burst until a rework, so that's what they did.

And if you think yoshi doesn't give a poo poo about game balance I invite you to go look over at what's going on in wow for legion. Class balance in FFXIV has always actually been really good, but shitlords scream about the meta constantly on reddit so people actually believe you couldn't kill A3S without a meta comp (you could and people are poo poo).

pld dps is currently substantially better than either warrior or drk, which is absolutely terrible from a gameplay balance perspective that the best tank at actual tanking is now also the one with functionally infinite sustain AND the best overall dps. the fact this even made it to live is absolutely bizarre.

class balance in ffxiv has not been 'always good' and the fact wow has worse balance doesn't somehow mean other things balanced better doesn't somehow mean they're still balanced well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Countblanc posted:

healers acting as put-upon martyrs is this really weird trope and i have no idea where that attitude comes from. i see it all the time in fan art where the Poor, Downtrodden Healer is being yelled at by the mean dps and tanks despite - naturally - playing their job perfectly, and i see this in FFXIV even more than usual.

i can't remember the last time i saw someone chew out anyone in a dungeon, let alone some conspiracy targeting healers. it feels like a myth people made up after one bad dungeon run

I've never been yelled at in a dungeon when I didn't deserve it

I guarantee you the healers being "persecuted" are all bad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

the general opinion from experienced players is that you should be helping with DPS whenever you don't need to use a GCD to heal someone.

The important thing of note here is that this will happen, and happen often - healers in FFXIV pack a LOT of healing power and can drop some major heals instantly, freeing up a notable amount of GCDs where otherwise you'd either be spamming cures on the tank just to do something or I guess standing there idly for 5-6 seconds after every other spell.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's more that when a healer makes a mistake--and everyone makes mistakes--it's often instantly obvious, while bad tanks or dps usually skate

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Either that or they define "persecution" as "someone suggested that I cast stone once or twice instead of doing literally nothing"

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

pld dps is currently substantially better than either warrior or drk, which is absolutely terrible from a gameplay balance perspective that the best tank at actual tanking is now also the one with functionally infinite sustain AND the best overall dps. the fact this even made it to live is absolutely bizarre.

class balance in ffxiv has not been 'always good' and the fact wow has worse balance doesn't somehow mean other things balanced better doesn't somehow mean they're still balanced well.

it will be balanced by plds who don't use holy, i have already seen it happen. Full mana bars the entire fight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not even sure how they could change the dynamic that makes healer DPS possible without either a) making fights so hard bad healers will wipe you 100% of the time or b) completely reworking the healing spells in a dramatic way that probably ruins all old fights

e: I guess they could just make all healer DPS skills do like 1/20th of their current damage so nobody cares if you're honest because it doesn't matter, and then do...something about solo content

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Holyshoot posted:

it will be balanced by plds who don't use holy, i have already seen it happen. Full mana bars the entire fight.

What a bunch of jabronies, I'm gonna spam Holy ALL THE TIME.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Is it just me or does crafting now have some kind of reverb audio every 2 seconds. I can hear it when I craft and when others around me craft.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not even sure how they could change the dynamic that makes healer DPS possible without either a) making fights so hard bad healers will wipe you 100% of the time or b) completely reworking the healing spells in a dramatic way that probably ruins all old fights

e: I guess they could just make all healer DPS skills do like 1/20th of their current damage so nobody cares if you're honest because it doesn't matter, and then do...something about solo content

Yeah, given the alternatives, I'm kind of fine with things as they are now. I don't mind putting up with the odd honest healer here and there making a dungeon run take a couple minutes longer if it means that I don't have to worry about pubbie healers letting the party wipe nonstop because they can't even do the healing part of their job right.

e: I also enjoy not having to worry about letting the party wipe nonstop when I myself join as a healer

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm waiting for the dungeon where someone complains about my holy spam. Thin air is great.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dear Caster DPS (aka Red Mages) who don't give me Mana Shift after I pointedly tell them to give me Mana Shift when I'm at 20% MP 'cos I've spammed the poo poo out of Holy in your level 50 dungeon that I'm graciously healing

gently caress YOU

Signed

Me

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

cheetah7071 posted:

I play with my SO who happens to main heals. The two angry Tanks that complained were, "Don't heal me, I don't need it." and "Stop doing DPS, learn 2 play". So I can understand why the healers may be conflicted and complaining.

Fake Edit: It baffles me that people stare at other peoples Cast Bars. I just, like, play the game and stuff.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Absolutely. Usually I rake in the comms while healing.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
im a bad healer that died like 5 times on nidhogg and a goon was going to trash on me but realized i was in the FC and decided to be polite but really i did deserve it

thats my healer story

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've definitely let tanks die by DPSing too much and usually we just wipe and the tank passive aggressively doesn't multi pull that time and nobody says anything in chat

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I've definitely let tanks die by DPSing too much and usually we just wipe and the tank passive aggressively doesn't multi pull that time and nobody says anything in chat

That seems a lot more logical than passive aggressive

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
also i fell off the edge like immediately in titan hard for the HW msq and still got several commendations im pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
Found this near Bardam's Mettle... Someone was helping Lyse... stretch...

http://imgur.com/a/296YZ