Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pixar Week 1

I don't have much in the way of thoughts for the first lot of short films. Here's a quick summary:
Adventures of Andre and Wally B - Sure ok.
Luxo Jr - Cute and well anthropomorphised! The best of the bunch.
Red's Dream - Wtf, that's a depressing non-ending.
Tin Toy - That baby is loving terrifying... wait is nobody going to attend to this fallen crying fuckin baby????
Knick Knack - Maybe it was the music but I just found this one intensely annoying.

Main feature: Toy Story

- I'm getting such strong memories of playing the Toy Story game for Gameboy back in 1995!

- Sid is an artistic wunderkind and his creativity should be nurtured.

- The "Buzz finally realises he's a toy" scene plays really loving stupid because of that dumb Randy Newman song. Modern Pixar would have done that much more elegantly.

- Honestly, while there's no doubt that this movie was pioneering for what it did technically, I just don't like it that much as a movie! The pacing feels weird and rushed and our hero Woody doesn't really have much of a personality beyond "is a jealous jerk". I'm still looking forward to watching the sequels again though, especially TS3 because I remember that being a hilarious romp.

Next week will be A Bug's Life, which I haven't seen since it was in cinemas in 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Next week will be A Bug's Life, which I haven't seen since it was in cinemas in 1998.

Last time I watched A Bug's Life was two months ago when I was stuck in an urgent care waiting room for four hours while suffering through the most severe flu I've had in my life.

Definitely don't wanna touch it again anytime soon, but I'll say - whilst in a fever induced mania it was a wild ride.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

GeekyManatee posted:

Last time I watched A Bug's Life was two months ago when I was stuck in an urgent care waiting room for four hours while suffering through the most severe flu I've had in my life.

Definitely don't wanna touch it again anytime soon, but I'll say - whilst in a fever induced mania it was a wild ride.

I really like Bug's Life, I don't understand the apparent hate for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Saw Captain Underpants yesterday, it was pretty damned fun!

It takes potty humor and make fun of it (apparently the books do it too?). It's the only animated movie that has potty humor that isn't really crude at all unlike pretty much every animated movie in the last 4-5 years (minus Zootopia).

I loved the art style in the movie and this is definitely one I'll pick up on Blu-Ray once it's out. Luckily, it's a kid's movie so it should be on Blu-Ray in a few months.

Yeah, Captain Underpants is more potty humor ABOUT potty humor than anything else. An observational potty humor.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hedrigall posted:

- The "Buzz finally realises he's a toy" scene plays really loving stupid because of that dumb Randy Newman song.

I Will Go Sailing No More is perfect, you heathen!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/WarnerArchive/status/876946732222783488
I really need to see Mask of the Phantasm so I'm glad its getting this treatment

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/WarnerArchive/status/876946732222783488
I really need to see Mask of the Phantasm so I'm glad its getting this treatment

That should be great, and providing it in both aspect ratios is a good sign that they really care about the project.

For those who don't know, like most of WB's animation that was in the nebulous "maybe this will be for theaters, maybe not" category, MOTP was drawn with full 4:3 framing but intended to be cropped down to 16:9 for theaters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gonna need more extras than 'trailer'. That's some 2002 barebones DVD extras crap.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

starkebn posted:

Same. I loved that movie and I was really shocked that so many people didn't.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Having seen both Bug's Life and Antz but not sure about the general reaction to both I can't imagine Antz being more popular. Given Antz is in general a little less "cute".

I did like both but I think having seen it first Bug's Life is always going to be my preference.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Chalk me up for another defender of Bug's Life and Randy Newman's Toy Story score.

This is edging off topic but sometimes Japan does little 30 shorts for commercials and the new Cup Noodle commercial features a imagining of a thread favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWCUrr6kUTc

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Chalk me up for another defender of Bug's Life and Randy Newman's Toy Story score.

This is edging off topic but sometimes Japan does little 30 shorts for commercials and the new Cup Noodle commercial features a imagining of a thread favorite

It's based off of an animated movie, so I say it fits the spirit of the thread. :colbert:
(And I like looking at pretty things!)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Antz visual aesthetic completely put me off. It may be an amazing movie but I'll never know.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

starkebn posted:

While I don't hate it, it's definitely one of my least favorite Pixar movies. I don't care that they reuse plots from classic movies, but the plot for this always felt sort of lazily assembled (to me at least). The writing and characters and animation (for the time) were fine and all, but even for the second movie in it feels a little uninspired. Doesn't make it bad, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Martytoof posted:

Antz visual aesthetic completely put me off. It may be an amazing movie but I'll never know.

Antz's ugliness absolutely suits the story it aims to tell.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Antz's ugliness absolutely suits the story it aims to tell.

That no matter the form I hate Woody Allen?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A Bug's Life was okay, I guess, but I haven't seen it in a long time and only barely remember how it goes. I do remember it being the first Pixar film with the outtakes at the end, those were nice while they did 'em.

I recall Antz was really good, too. Probably a little less kindly remembered since it lacked the Disney brand A Bug's Life had, but taken on its own it's still a fun little romp.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Honestly, I already have the only advertisement for THE ULTIMATE FLAVOR EXPERIENCE I'll ever need.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You da ant! :madmax:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Barudak posted:

That no matter the form I hate Woody Allen?

Most Woody Allen movies are predicated on recognition that Allen's characters are wormy, irredeemable wrecks, but if you just straight don't like his films, Antz is probably more tolerable than, say, Zelig or Bananas.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Gonna need more extras than 'trailer'. That's some 2002 barebones DVD extras crap.

I'm just so damned excited to get
:siren: STRONG OPINIONS WARNING :siren:
the best Batman movie ever produced on the planet
:siren: STRONG OPINIONS CONCLUDED :siren:
released on Blu-ray with a good transfer. I mean, sure there are precious few doggos in it but it's still exciting news!!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm still unreasonably annoyed that The LEGO Batman Movie neglected to mention it in its "reference every past Batman movie" gag.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Antz will forever be that loving terrifying movie with the termites and magnifying glass.

Whatever happened to Paul Dini that he wants to pursue that gross Bruce Wayne/ Barbara Gordon pairing?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Does anyone here have the giant Taschen book of the Walt Disney Film Archives? Is it worth the purchase?

It's on sale at Amazon for $89 which is the lowest I've seen it.

Apparently, it's even too big & heavy to look at while it's sitting on your lap? I've never owned a Taschen book myself, but it looks too wonderful to pass up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Most Woody Allen movies are predicated on recognition that Allen's characters are wormy, irredeemable wrecks, but if you just straight don't like his films, Antz is probably more tolerable than, say, Zelig or Bananas.

I do not like Woody Allen the person, the character, or the director so regardless of the corporeal form he takes I hate him.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Barudak posted:

I do not like Woody Allen the person, the character, or the director so regardless of the corporeal form he takes I hate him.

What did he do to deserve such spite?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

paradoxGentleman posted:

Uh, normally I don't expect anyone to get everything that might be referenced somehow, but do you live under a rock?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

mycot posted:

Uh, normally I don't expect anyone to get everything that might be referenced somehow, but do you live under a rock?

Almost. I often find myself shockingly ignorant of stuff regarding the people who produce media. I just don't care all that much about them.

E: The main problem with this is that, unless what they do is so heinous that it penetrates my bubble of ignorance, I don't know when they're complete shitbags.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Whatever happened to Paul Dini that he wants to pursue that gross Bruce Wayne/ Barbara Gordon pairing?

I thought that was Bruce Timm

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

paradoxGentleman posted:

He married his daughter.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm not especially familiar with Woody Allen, his films or his skeletons in his closet, but there's allegations from his daughter about him sexually abusing her in 1992 when she was only seven.

So, y'know, :stare:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I always associate the name "Woody Allen" with Toy Story not only because of Woody but also because Buzz's VA is Tim Allen

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He married his daughter.

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm not especially familiar with Woody Allen, his films or his skeletons in his closet, but there's allegations from his daughter about him sexually abusing her in 1992 when she was only seven.

So, y'know, :stare:

Yeah, :stare: is about right

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Aw everyone's talking about Bug's Life this week but I'm watching it next week :qq:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I always associate the name "Woody Allen" with Toy Story not only because of Woody but also because Buzz's VA is Tim Allen
...............same...

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Feel free to dislike Woody Allen all you want, but if you're hating on Crimes and Misdemeanors, we're gonna have a problem. :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Feel free to dislike Woody Allen all you want, but if you're hating on Crimes and Misdemeanors, we're gonna have a problem. :colbert:

Yes. Even prior to discovering his repugnant and criminal personal life, i didnt like Woody Allens characters and his movies and at this point I refuse to go back and watch any I missed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think Antz is important from a historical perspective as Katzenberg's parting shot at Disney being too safe and sanitized and DreamWorks establishing how they were going to stand apart from the rest of the animation world. Like, right out the gate you have a bunch of contemporary celebrity voice actors effectively playing caricatures of themselves, there's a lot of pop culture references, and the whole thing is just really gross and abrasive in a way that Disney and Pixar weren't; you have the war with the termites as an explicit riff on Vietnam war movies and Aliens with people being decapitated and dissolved in acid, you have a story about class warfare and ethnic cleansing, it even plays up the gross insect biology with the huge difference in sizes between characters and the ant queen who is shown perpetually giving birth and immobilized by her egg sac compared to Bugs Life where she's just a cute old lady.

It's like how in 1994 Disney couldn't even say "fart" in The Lion King and then Shrek comes along just a few years later and is just non-stop scatalogical humor, it helps you appreciate what a product of it's time it was even if it hasn't held up.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Has anyone ITT ever successfully (or unsuccessfully, I guess) pitched an animated series to a network? I'm working on a pitch right now and would love any stories or advice.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Antz is so loving weird. For a while when I wanted to get a rise out of animation fans I would say I preferred it to A Bug's Life. Then I realized I wasn't actually kidding. I don't know if Antz is GOOD in the same way A Bug's Life is good, but it's more interesting. It's got more going on under the hood, as it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I thought Antz was really cool the one time I watched it, but I was really in an "animation can be EDGY" anti-Disney phase so I'm not sure if it was actually good.