Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People have taken qos and people have threatened to take qos to force trades most likely. It is useful leverage.

I think we underestimate rookies leverage at the end of the 4 year deal especially for stars. Also, now new with this cba, The new designated player contracts depending on being on your rookie team OR a team that trades for you on a rookie deal will imho make agents even more likely to try and force trades before the 4 years is up. And plenty of players have forced trades on their rookie deals! It happens.

You can disagree that's cool, but that's how I see it. In Staps case he's clearly - at least to me - in the first stages of forcing a trade following the well known dance of non cooperation with non mandatory activity and so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

That would be a robbery by Phoenix. Suns should flip Booker before everyone realizes he's the next MCW.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also it's likely 5 more years. 2 more on the rookie deal and then he'd be offered a 3+1 in rfa which he'd sign and the knicks would be forced to match. Most likely.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Since I enjoy making you guys suffer, I just wanted to remind you of how dumb the outside world discusses sports

quote:

This is the LIMIT the Lakers should extend to on Paul George talks

Brewer / Deng / Mozgov / Black
28th Pick

AT THE HIGHEST: Clarkson

A combination of these things should be the LIMIT the Lakers go to trade for George, and if they want Clarkson, they are going to have to absorb either Mozgov or Deng's contract as well with him and the 28th pick.

ANYTHING MORE and we hang up the phone and say "See Paul in free agency."

quote:

quote:

quote:

My Guess

Zubac/Nance/Clarkson/28 + 2020 protected first
We aren't giving up Zubac.
Yeah that's waaaay too much.

quote:

Would you guys do Zubac, Brewer and Black for PG13?

Then we could use JC and the #28 to dump Deng's contract on the Nets.

No one is making fun of these people, and everyone is agreeing. I'm glad I have you guys, I couldn't go back to those places full time

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

It'll be sad to see Iggy and Livingston leave, but sometimes you just have to go for it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

sum posted:

That would be a robbery by Phoenix. Suns should flip Booker before everyone realizes he's the next MCW.

I'm not 100% sure MCW could score 70 points in 48 minutes alone in a gym.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
MCW's debut is still one of my favorite moments as a Sixers fan. it was nuts.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

leftist heap posted:

Someone is gonna take on one or more of Meyers Leonard, Evan Turner or Allan Crabbe and personally I can't wait.

:hfive:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I promise I'll stop, but this one is just soooo dumb

quote:

Not trying to be harsh to the new front office but anything more than Clarkson + #28, I would give a grade B if not lower, despite acquiring an all-star on this team.

How do people who care enough about basketball to discuss it online have such a poor understanding of value?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Also it's likely 5 more years. 2 more on the rookie deal and then he'd be offered a 3+1 in rfa which he'd sign and the knicks would be forced to match. Most likely.

Yeah, you're probably right. That player option used to be pretty rare but it's getting common as teams are realizing what a steal the rookie max is.

euphronius posted:

People have taken qos and people have threatened to take qos to force trades most likely. It is useful leverage.

This isn't the argue, but whom? I can see the leverage if your not a max player but once you hit the level of "My Team will offer/match the max" it seems like a lost cause because you'll never make that money back.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Glumslinger posted:

I promise I'll stop, but this one is just soooo dumb

How do people who care enough about basketball to discuss it online have such a poor understanding of value?

:ohdear:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
paul george sucks and is a total chump unless we get him somehow

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, bad Lakers fan comments is a bit of shooting fish in a barrel. There are lots of great Laker fans around, but the bad ones are especially ripe.

In general, it's a lack of understanding of the salary cap (the Durant signing has got a lot of people thinking teams can just sign whomever, whenever) and in this case not understanding that PG might decide that he'd rather take the higher raises on another team that swoops in. The Boogie trade also tanked a lot of peoples perceptions on trade returns.

They are right that this is a pretty rare case when the team trying to get the all-star has a ton of leverage.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Brolander posted:

paul george sucks and is a total chump unless we get him somehow

Well do my proposed 3-team trade and you can have him!

He's still a chump.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Jack's Flow posted:

It'll be sad to see Iggy and Livingston leave, but sometimes you just have to go for it.

No way man. The most we give up is Looney and Matt Barnes and our second from 2022.

ANYTHING MORE and we hang up the phone and say "See Paul in free agency."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't want to trade for Paul George, putting a known primadonna on a bad team that's going to be bad with him is a bad idea.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

Yeah, you're probably right. That player option used to be pretty rare but it's getting common as teams are realizing what a steal the rookie max is.

This isn't the argue, but whom? I can see the leverage if your not a max player but once you hit the level of "My Team will offer/match the max" it seems like a lost cause because you'll never make that money back.

We don't know who has threatened it but I'd argue it's reasonable to assume many

Here is an old list that doesn't include Greg Monroe

Kevin Seraphin signed a qualifying offer of $3,898,692 from the Wizards on 7/18/14.
Ivan Johnson signed a qualifying offer of $962,195 from the Hawks on 9/18/12. Has not signed another NBA contract.
Devin Ebanks signed a qualifying offer of $1,054,389 from the Lakers on 8/13/12. He signed a non-guaranteed training camp invitation from the Mavs on 9/13/13, but he didn’t make the opening-night roster.
Luke Harangody signed a qualifying offer of $1,054,389 from the Cavaliers on 7/3/12. Has not signed another NBA contract.
Darius Morris signed a qualifying offer of $962,195 from the Lakers on 7/2/12. He agreed to sign a non-guaranteed training camp invitation from the Sixers on 9/12/13, but he didn’t make the opening-night roster. He later surfaced on a 10-day contract with the Clippers, signed 1/6/14.
Nick Young signed a qualifying offer of $3,695,857 from the Wizards on 12/19/11. He was traded to the Clippers 3/15/12, and signed for one year, $5.6MM with the Sixers on 7/6/12.
Marco Belinelli signed a qualifying offer of $3,377,604 from the Pelicans on 12/13/11. He signed for one year, $1.957MM with the Bulls on 7/24/12.
Spencer Hawes signed a qualifying offer of $4,051,024 from the Sixers on 12/10/11. He re-signed with the Sixers for two years, $13.1MM on 7/12/12.
Raymond Felton signed a qualifying offer of $5,501,196 from the Hornets on 9/23/09. Signed with the Knicks for two years, $14.56MM on 7/12/10.
Ben Gordon signed a qualifying offer of $6,404,750 from the Bulls on 10/1/08. Signed with the Pistons for five years, $58MM on 7/8/09.
Robert Swift signed a qualifying offer of $3,579,131 from the Thunder on 9/11/08. Has not signed another NBA contract.
Mickael Pietrus signed a qualifying offer of $3,470,771 from the Warriors on 10/1/07. Signed with the Magic for four years, $21.2MM on 7/10/08.
Melvin Ely signed a qualifying offer of $3,303,813 from the Hornets on 10/2/06. He was traded to the Spurs on 2/13/07, and agreed to sign for two years, $1,893,739 (minimum salary) with the Pelicans on 9/13/07.
Vladimir Radmanovic signed a qualifying offer of $3,166,155 from the Thunder on 9/19/05. He was traded to the Clippers on 2/14/06, and agreed to sign for five years, $30.247MM with the Lakers on 7/12/06.
Stromile Swift signed a qualifying offer of $5,993,105 from the Grizzlies on 9/30/04. Signed with the Rockets for four years, $22.4MM on 8/2/05.
Michael Olowokandi signed a qualifying offer of $6,061,214 from the Clippers on 9/23/02. Signed with the Timberwolves for three years, $16,226,100 on 7/17/03.
Rasho Nesterovic signed a qualifying offer of $2,436,813 from the Timberwolves on 8/25/02. Signed with the Spurs for six years, $42MM on 7/16/03.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/jZexphr/status/877196302987268096

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

We don't know who has threatened it but I'd argue it's reasonable to assume many

Here is an old list that doesn't include Greg Monroe

None of those guys were max contract guys, and since the contract shortening none of those guys were much above min-contract types. Monroe would be an ok example, but Detroit specifically did not want to sign him to a max contract.

I get the leverage when a player thinks he is being lowballed, but there is no leverage when the team is offering literally the maximum. Unless you think Zing won't command that, I think New York probably feels pretty comfortable with the next 5 years of control.

I think they are trying to trade him because they don't want him on the team anymore, for whatever stupid reason, not because of the threat of FA.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I remember at the time Ben Gordon getting absolutely crushed for signing the QO instead of taking a low-ball extension offer from Chicago, then Detroit throwing piles of money at him (and Charlie Villanueva!) the year after

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

I think we underestimate rookies leverage at the end of the 4 year deal especially for stars. Also, now new with this cba, The new designated player contracts depending on being on your rookie team OR a team that trades for you on a rookie deal will imho make agents even more likely to try and force trades before the 4 years is up. And plenty of players have forced trades on their rookie deals! It happens.

You can disagree that's cool, but that's how I see it. In Staps case he's clearly - at least to me - in the first stages of forcing a trade following the well known dance of non cooperation with non mandatory activity and so on

If the Knicks think like this they deserve to be awful

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/877264912803926016

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Rick posted:

I'm not 100% sure MCW could score 70 points in 48 minutes alone in a gym.

Sure, but he was also a young, high-usage guard who put up gaudy counting stats on a poo poo team. Also Booker was the first recorded player to put up a negative +/- in a 60+ point game

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
The Knicks seem like a dumb enough team to ask for Kawhi in a trade. I don't think Kristaps moves, their price seems too high.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bashez posted:

The Knicks seem like a dumb enough team to ask for Kawhi in a trade. I don't think Kristaps moves, their price seems too high.

I don't think the Spurs move LMA either. They made a big deal about committing to him as a free agent. If they dump him on a poo poo team in a trade I think it ruins their FA market for a while and probably pisses off the locker room. Spurs don't seem to be a team that would do that.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Bad news for the world of Shook, Prodigy of Mobb Deep passed away at age 42 from complications due to sickle cell anemia :[

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sum posted:

Sure, but he was also a young, high-usage guard who put up gaudy counting stats on a poo poo team. Also Booker was the first recorded player to put up a negative +/- in a 60+ point game
He was also only 20 years old while putting up those 70 points. Remember, this thread always discusses how 19-20 year olds are "bad" in terms of helping teams win games? For his age, he's very impressive.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 20, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Didn't his team basically foul repeatedly to let him get enough possessions to shoot that much

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

EvanTH posted:

Bad news for the world of Shook, Prodigy of Mobb Deep passed away at age 42 from complications due to sickle cell anemia :[

rip

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tae posted:

Didn't his team basically foul repeatedly to let him get enough possessions to shoot that much

Its OK, so did the Warriors when Wilt scored 100

Kobe's 81 is the only one that remained pure

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tae posted:

They only fouled twice. Williams fouled IT right away with 45 seconds left and then Ulis fouled him again with 41 seconds left and that was it, then Booker scored his 70th

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 20, 2017

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Guys, the Russell for George trade posted on twitter is from a fake Marc Stein account, I hope that Magic isn't that loving stupid.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

do something funny suns since you wont be good enough to beat the warriors

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What the hell are the Knicks even hoping for.

The NBA BOG has realized that the Lakers/Bulls/Knicks will steadily rise in value (billions of USD) no matter how awful the product on the court gets.

EMC posted:

The new Warriors arena looks like a toilet too, unbelievable foresight to secure KD for the long term. Light years ahead indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC1r5ZDhDzU

Spite posted:

LeBron "Sisyphus" James. He was incredible all series. He had, what, one bad playoff game this season?

Yes, that was the game he threw so he could embarrass the Celtics one more time in Boston.

Dutchy posted:

It's kind of an interesting hypothetical. Would [LBJ's] rep be higher or lower if he had spent the last seven years mostly sputtering out in the 2nd round/WCF, but won a couple of Finals over the Raptors or whoever in dominant fashion?

Probably lower, but it would depend on the city he was in and a lot of the strange narratives that writers came up with based on random small/irrelevant events.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If Kevin Durant murdering basketball in the greatest bball bitch move in history results in the craziest most panicked off-season where all these rumored trades and movements go down and it's basically like a mass expansion draft for everyone then...well that fart sniffing snake and his Warriors are now cool by me
Even if it creates a Super Clippers

Imagine if every five years the entire league rosters were randomized. That'd be entertaining.

glowing-fish posted:

Fox Sports has an article about things that could derail a Warriors Dynasty. #2 behind injury, is "all the good assistant coaches leave"

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/golden-state-warriors-nba-dynasty-offseason-062017

I know coaching and support staff are important, but I can't think of any great NBA teams that fell apart because of a lack of assistant coaches, both because it seems like there is a pretty big pool of them out there, and because a championship team is going to be a draw for good staff, even if some of them leave.

If you have elite players the coaching becomes overrated.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Would Jimmy Butler really be their best option at getting over the top though?

It would be good if LBJ made Butler shave his head (and Kevin Love).

ex post facho posted:

mostly because with talent concentrated amongst a smaller number of teams it's more likely that those teams are closer to eachother in relative talent level...

I haven't seen evidence of that. With contraction the talent gets even more saturated. Look at the 1960s Celtics and what they did when the league had less than ten teams.

More teams would add more unpredictability.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
omg https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/877287243236462592

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

It wasn't like that, it was more like Kobe's last game except his team was losing by like 20 points and the other team was laughing and letting it happen because, i believe it was a suns home game and the crowd was pumped

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

yeah holy poo poo.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

I wouldn't of minded watching Russell on the Pacers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Is D'angelo Russell secretly bad? Why are the Lakers doing this?

• Locked thread