Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The most iconic scene in the movie ruined it, because in the comic the moment actually sucked and wasn't exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Push El Burrito posted:

I only know like 2 things about Martian Manhunter: he likes Oreos and he hates genocide.

You can add a 3rd to that list: Bonds with Batman over their mutual interest in Sailor Moon.

The name being a giveaway because it belongs to Sailor Mars.

Apparently, the writer said "Give me a Japanese woman's name with a reference to Mars in it" and didn't care what that reference actually was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I choose to believe that Batman just loving loves Sailor Moon. Alfred had to spend hours convincing 13 year old Bruce Wayne that he needed to be something scarier than a magical girl if he wanted to fight crime.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Well Batman does spend his time fighting evil by moonlight, while Bruce Wayne is busy winning love by daylight.

And I don't recall him ever running from a real fight.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
But doesn't he live for love, and fight for family?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cuchulain posted:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Batman would call that strategic repositioning of assets

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Bongo Bill posted:

Differing from source material is not ruining.

It is when it completely changes the characterization.

Skwirl posted:

Fitting since that's where we get the word "laconic" from.

Exactly. The point is, the Spartans were literally a country full of snarky bastards. In the comic, Leonidas didn't give a poo poo; some fools got up in his grill, and he disposed of them like tossing out the trash. In the movie, he goes into the whole vein-popping roid rage routine.

It's exactly the same problem as the 'you know what happens to a toad that gets hit by lightning' line; a different delivery of the exact same thing changes the entire tone, the entire motivation, everything.

You know, let alone the fact that one of the entire points of the comic is that team work, disciplined formations and proper military behavior were able to hold out against the larger numbers of the Persians, but in the movie, they're just running around like superheroes. Yes, I get that the framing device is Dilios hyping up the newbs, but again, it gives the kids the wrong lesson. Oh, and the 'boy lovers' line, given that Sparta had institutionalized the practice of pedagogy.
:goonsay:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Work Friend Keven posted:

The most iconic scene in the movie ruined it, because in the comic the moment actually sucked and wasn't exciting.

We should judge all works of art by how many unfunny memes they create.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

Well Batman does spend his time fighting evil by moonlight, while Bruce Wayne is busy winning love by daylight.

Does this make Catwoman Tuxedo Mask?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

It is when it completely changes the characterization.

No, changes still only make things different.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

We should judge all works of art by how many unfunny memes they create.

I've heard worse ideas.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I choose to believe that Batman just loving loves Sailor Moon. Alfred had to spend hours convincing 13 year old Bruce Wayne that he needed to be something scarier than a magical girl if he wanted to fight crime.

I choose to believe that Batman hates all anime but spends a lot of time watching 12 episodes of a series at the same time in both dubbed and subtitled form at 1.5 speed so that he can immediately recognize if the riddler makes a reference to an anime when alluding to a potential crime.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Batman watched the Big O and realized he needs bigger Batmechs. Now I want the return of the composite Batman/Superman mech.

EDIT: And now I'm kind of sad remembering that Sam Loeb was supposed to work with his dad and Pat Lee on a follow up to that issue of Superman/Batman with Superboy and Robin in the mech suits.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 21, 2017

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
The only time Batman tried anime was when Commissioner Gordon insisted that they watch Patlabor together.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And then Gordons was the Batsman.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Batman vs. Lord Death Man.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thomas Wayne had a collection of Ogon Bat story cards he brought back from Japan after the War.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I choose to believe that Batman hates all anime but spends a lot of time watching 12 episodes of a series at the same time in both dubbed and subtitled form at 1.5 speed so that he can immediately recognize if the riddler makes a reference to an anime when alluding to a potential crime.

Didn't he actually do that with foreign art films?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

TheCenturion posted:

Oh, and the 'boy lovers' line, given that Sparta had institutionalized the practice of pedagogy.

Well sure, nobody's born knowing how to jump in slow motion.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

TheCenturion posted:

Oh, and the 'boy lovers' line, given that Sparta had institutionalized the practice of pedagogy.

The study of teaching?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's only one way to pedagogy these boys some manners and it's pederasty.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ponsonby Britt posted:

The only time Batman tried anime was when Commissioner Gordon insisted that they watch Patlabor together.

(While watching the anim together.)

Batman: That robot looks so dumb. I wouldn't be caught dead with ears that long.

(Flash forward to the Super Heavy arc years later, just as Jim is about to get into the suit.)

James Gordon: Just according to Keikaku*!

* = Translator's note: Keikaku means plan.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Top 10 Issue #11

Just reading this for the first time. It's really loving good!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Johnny Aztec posted:

Please to be telling me what trade that is in, so I can get my comic shop to order it.
That panel deserves to be owned.

ISBN 9780785143673 has the whole arc. It's a decent story, not too different from The Prophecy in its general shape.

You also get Knuckles O'Shaughnessy and the Undead G-Man:

This seems funnier in context.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Isn't that also the one that has Ghost Trucker?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The study of teaching?

Yes sorry, I had 'pedophila,' 'pederasty,' and the agoge all mixed up in my poor little brain.

Also, Spartans were famed for giving up their seats to old people while watching the Olympics.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't that also the one that has Ghost Trucker?

It is. I was going to post the full sequence but it's pretty long and not funny at all. If you want to check it, it's at Aaron's Ghost Rider #33.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Samuringa posted:

It is. I was going to post the full sequence but it's pretty long and not funny at all. If you want to check it, it's at Aaron's Ghost Rider #33.

I think it's pretty funny to see all the other ghost riders they came up with, but it is basically the whole issue.

The other one-off villain I remember from that run, not at all related to Ghost Trucker, is The Highwayman:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I like that Wages of Fear/Sorcerer reference.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh my god, that's from US 1, isn't it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

I think it's pretty funny to see all the other ghost riders they came up with, but it is basically the whole issue.

The other one-off villain I remember from that run, not at all related to Ghost Trucker, is The Highwayman:

The Highwayman is not a one-off villain.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh my god, that's from US 1, isn't it?

Yes, yes it is. It's an amazing deep pull.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Lurdiak posted:

The Highwayman is not a one-off villain.

Yes, yes it is. It's an amazing deep pull.

Well, okay, one-off in the sense of "he's in this run for one issue, not part of the main arc, and not killed conclusively, which happens a few times in this run".

You're going to have to buy the book if you want to see what his eight-track player looks like.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How much luckier than a rabbits foot is a baby's foot

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

Well, okay, one-off in the sense of "he's in this run for one issue, not part of the main arc, and not killed conclusively, which happens a few times in this run".

You're going to have to buy the book if you want to see what his eight-track player looks like.

Highwayman not only survived, he later showed up in a team-up between US1 and Rocket Raccoon. It was amazing and I'm not sure I didn't dream it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Highwayman not only survived, he later showed up in a team-up between US1 and Rocket Raccoon. It was amazing and I'm not sure I didn't dream it.

It's not a dream? It's not an imaginary story?!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

How much luckier than a rabbits foot is a baby's foot

Not very lucky for the baby

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phy posted:

Not very lucky for the baby

Much luckier for the rabbit though.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Close. The team-up was with Deadpool, but the Highwayman somehow had genetically modified raccoon minions causing the characters to mention Rocket for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I think the real question is how he kept getting work as he and his cab mutated.