Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HyperPuma posted:

*stands still for 15 seconds waiting for lizard to finally attack*

this... owns

Have you considered that it is not the game that's bad... but u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
i hadnt because all the enemies are trivially easy to beat

ill think about it tho

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

HyperPuma posted:

*stands still for 15 seconds waiting for lizard to finally attack*

this... owns

lol look at this scrub.

Edit: the back pedal begins!

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 20, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

so wait, the enemies are easy to beat, yet you can't figure out how to hit an enemy that jumps away from you

please get your story straight

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

you hit them by standing still until they try to attack you

please try to keep up

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you're not freezing every enemy and blowing them off a cliff with a Korok Leaf you're playing the game wrong.

If you're not fighting enemies next to cliffs then you're really playing the game wrong.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The combat mechanics in BOTW are really good. Too good actually for what the game demands imo. I hope master mode makes it so we have to make more use out of the more advance stuff you can do.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I love that elemental enemies just go poof if you use the opposite element

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

HyperPuma posted:

you cant charge in because they jump away when you try

have you played the game?

Noob who doesn't abuse Stasis found

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

thats actually a good point i always forget i can do that

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I think it's rad that there are so many options in Zelda's combat, I guess I just think the melee options are a bit clunky.

Also it's weird that the bosses are so much easier than rando black mob encounters in the wild.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The combat in zelda is good only if you kill enemies in ways other than going 1v1 with them. It's especially bad when fighting silver enemies since they're just huge damage sponges.

Hard mode being "every enemy is one tier higher!" sucks because that just means they take more hits to kill

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Stasis+ is awesome, I wreck lynels with it.

And it's good for guardians that try to run away before you've had a chance to hack their legs off.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
:aaaaa: You can use Stasis on mobs??

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Imagined posted:

:aaaaa: You can use Stasis on mobs??

You have to get it upgraded, but yes.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

El Burbo posted:

The combat in zelda is good only if you kill enemies in ways other than going 1v1 with them. It's especially bad when fighting silver enemies since they're just huge damage sponges.

Hard mode being "every enemy is one tier higher!" sucks because that just means they take more hits to kill

One other side effect is that you'll have to consider focusing one enemy because their health bar slowly recovers otherwise. So you'll have to do a bit more mental math on which weapons you want to stun enemies with so you don't break all your good poo poo on an enemy that isn't going to die for a while

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

El Burbo posted:

this is what i was getting at and i dunno why people got so upset. i try to be creative when i can but sometimes youre just face to face with a guy and it gets boring when they take forever to create an opening.

gonna start using stasis more though, but its kinda funny that the solution to the boring enemy ai is to just freeze them lol

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
You... can upgrade stasis? :pusheen:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There are so many other solutions than "wait for them to make an opening", most of which involve using other weapons, like maybe a spear to hit them at range or a heavier weapon to knock the weapon out of their hands or throw them. It all comes down to knowing what each weapon type does and timing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guy, guys guys!

What if The Switch had...

:darksouls: ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Guy, guys guys!

What if The Switch had...

:darksouls: ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Dark Souls came out on Switch instead of Skyrim in the Bernie got elected universe.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the only nintendo platform i want dark souls on is wii u with miiverse integration

that would probably be the only game i ever need until the end of time

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You... can upgrade stasis? :pusheen:

Yeah. You can upgrade it, bombs and the camera at the Sheikah inventor who gives you the camera.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For all ya'll that didn't know you could upgrade Stasis, don't abuse it. It's up there with spin to win greatswords.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope the gold enemies they hinted at in DLC pack 1 have different AI and aren't just damage sponges.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

Yeah. You can upgrade it, bombs and the camera at the Sheikah inventor who gives you the camera.
I was really hoping for Cryonis+ (five at a time rather than three) and Magnesis+ (honestly, the only not-insane thing they could do was "more damage to enemies" so really I didn't want it that badly) after the other three got upgraded, but noooooo.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
While we are talking about games we would like to see on the Switch, I would really like to see Darkest Dungeon especially with the new DLC out.

Portable Darkest Dungeon :unsmigghh:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope the gold enemies they hinted at in DLC pack 1 have different AI and aren't just damage sponges.

At e3 they showed off that enemies (I think all of them, not just gold ones) can see much farther, so they're much more likely to spot you if you're trying to sneak around them.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

enojy posted:

For all ya'll that didn't know you could upgrade Stasis, don't abuse it. It's up there with spin to win greatswords.

Abuse it if you want, it's a single player game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

aware of dog posted:

At e3 they showed off that enemies (I think all of them, not just gold ones) can see much farther, so they're much more likely to spot you if you're trying to sneak around them.

That's cool then. I'm going to wait until pack 1 drops to finally get my last 4 shrines and head to the castle.:D

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Zelder posted:

Abuse it if you want, it's a single player game

Seriously. Stick it to single player games all you want. Hell, cheat in multi too, who gives a poo poo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Playing how you want and having things still work out is the best aspect of BOTW so go nuts.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Meldonox posted:

Seriously. Stick it to single player games all you want. Hell, cheat in multi too, who gives a poo poo.

Pirate amiibos

Or as the kids like to call it 'Pull a Whatley'

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Kaubocks posted:

the only nintendo platform i want dark souls on is wii u with miiverse integration

that would probably be the only game i ever need until the end of time

this would be great until the first somewhat known twitch streamer or YouTube LPer played it, and then all the Miiverse posts would turn into people repeating the jokes he'd already made.

with that said, every game could use miiverse integration.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Instant Sunrise posted:

this would be great until the first somewhat known twitch streamer or YouTube LPer played it, and then all the Miiverse posts would turn into people repeating the jokes he'd already made.

with that said, every game could use miiverse integration.

They recently announced that graffiti is coming back in Splatoon 2 so the spirit will live on.:yeah:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Meldonox posted:

Naw, ruining someone else's day by cheating is lovely

KoB
May 1, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

So Zelda is consuming what little is left of my life that my newborn son doesn't take from me but thankfully the Switch is great for times when those needs overlap!

Is there something I'm missing about spear and two-handed weapon combat in Zelda? It feels like combat was basically designed around having a shield as sidestepping is awkward and sucks compared to Souls-like games and so many enemies don't even flinch when getting hit. Do two handed weapons just kinda blow?

Also just in general I wish the combat was more skill and less numbers based.

Use stasis and then the spin move with big weapons.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Zore posted:

... I never did any of this rip ...

:negative:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i would like to see daikatana on the switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Pirate amiibos

Or as the kids like to call it 'Pull a Whatley'

I just spent $30 to get all the Zelda amiibo "cards" with all the drops from an Etsy vendor, because I already bought like 8 of them and GameStop is sold out. :rms:

• Locked thread