Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

SRM posted:

Those dirty Imperial Fists look great man. Bet they look great on the tabletop.

I was actually just looking through them for nostalgia's sake a minute ago! I have trouble fielding older armies that aren't painted to the standard I paint to now because I'm such a stickler for aesthetics, so they haven't seen the tabletop in a while. It's interesting looking at how the army progressed over 3 years of painting though, and those were the 3 years I evolved the most as a painter.

Yeah I'm the same, looking at the first Tac squad I painted vs. the later stuff is a crazy difference although I'm not at the quality level you are.

Ps post pics, I love seeing other Fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

chutche2 posted:

I don't think normal dreads are particularly worth it. I mean if you've got the models go for it, but contemptors are so much better at CC. They're better at it than ironclads. And for shooting, go with a venerable dread or a mortis.

But dreads are rad as gently caress no matter what kind it is, and you'll do pretty well with any of them. Contemptors are just far and away your best bet for CC outside of forgeworld lwith them being way faster, having an invuln, and 2+ to hit at higher strength. Ironclads can do tons of damage and are T8, but their hammer hits on a 4+ and a contemptor will wound T7 vehicles (which is everything lighter than a land raider) on 2+.

Thanks, this sounds like I could have a very intersting assortment of big stompy things doing different stuff without automatically losing every game :)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Re: Primaris Librarians. They exist, there's one in the Dark Imperium book.

"A primaris librarian accompanies Felix and a group of Primaris during the assault to relieve the siege of Ardium. (p216)"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm hoping for the entire suite of characters in Primaris. Captain, Librarian, Chaplain, Apothecary.

Apothecary especially cuz my Primaris chapter are BA successors and Primaris Sanguinary Priest would rule.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm hoping for the entire suite of characters in Primaris. Captain, Librarian, Chaplain, Apothecary.

Apothecary especially cuz my Primaris chapter are BA successors and Primaris Sanguinary Priest would rule.

Really looking forward to the Chaplain one, although I guess the Reiver close combat dudes will all have skull-masks. which would be rad as gently caress, if that turns out to be true.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Kinda want to run one of my deimos preds as an infernus sometime. 4d6 heavy flamer hits, 2d6 of which do 2 damage for 184 points.

I don't know if that's actually good or not but it sounds awesome as hell.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Really looking forward to the Chaplain one, although I guess the Reiver close combat dudes will all have skull-masks. which would be rad as gently caress, if that turns out to be true.

The Reivers sound like they are extremely my poo poo. I'm really holding out hope for an actual assault unit with Gravis Armor and Jump pack though.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

The Reivers sound like they are extremely my poo poo. I'm really holding out hope for an actual assault unit with Gravis Armor and Jump pack though.

Those apparently accurate leaks about primaris releases mentioned the inceptor box also making the close combat variant so wish granted I guess.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo I missed that. Awesome!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

GW Store birthday exclusive. Actually doesn't look half bad.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

The gently caress, thats rad I need one.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

How does this work?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

How does this work?

It's only available (Outside of eBay scalpers) at store opening anniversary events. Typically one per customer.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

It's only available (Outside of eBay scalpers) at store opening anniversary events. Typically one per customer.

gently caress was gonna comment a store was opening near me but it apparently did two weeks ago to zero fanfare. 😤

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

And plasma pistols are even good now! :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I will overpay for one if someone manages to grab one.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
drat! Need to find out when my stores bday is

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Played a game of 8th today against Beer4theBeerGod. Called it after 2 because it was getting rush-hour-ish and I was getting destroyed. I had orks in face turn 1 and my IG could not kill stuff fast enough to do anything about it. I'm a little demoralized because he had control the whole game and I felt as if I had very little agency: it was the old pick up my models bit by bit while he rolls poo poo.

Good thing 8th is such a huge change from 7th.

EDIT - Oh, and my loving GW order got delayed in goddamn Lorton. So now I won't get to play with new plastic spacemen until tomorrow. Today sucks.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
There does seem to be a whole lot of games ending on turn 3 in 8th.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
That's one way to make the game faster.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Artum posted:

I'm pretty sure that will change once people are getting more used to how the rules play.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I wonder if they're just going to keep the primaris as part of the inevitable space marine codex or if we will get a separate primaris list when the rest of them come out. Or maybe go full GW and give a full codex to a primaris only chapter.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think they're more like pointed hooves.

I've always loved this art, and these guys. Mainly because of the ridiculousness of Cavalry in the industrial age, which being based off of the WWI French with a touch of WWI German and WWI British, is one of the points of their design aesthetic.

In other news, my Dark Imperium arrived today. I love the box layout. All of the sprue is in a smaller box that pulls out if you want the rules first.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Kithkar posted:

I wonder if they're just going to keep the primaris as part of the inevitable space marine codex or if we will get a separate primaris list when the rest of them come out. Or maybe go full GW and give a full codex to a primaris only chapter.

Probably part of the inevitable Space Marine codex in the next fortnight(?). We probably won't see a separate codex for them for a while, and definitely not any for a Primaris chapter for a long, long time. At the moment, they're just colour schemes.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Artum posted:

The few I've played have been like this, too. Also the lack of decent cover rules make things feel like we're just lining up and running at each other. More LoS blocking terrain helps some, but it feels pretty binary.

Disclaimer: I am a Bad.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I think more terrain is pretty vital this edition, what with the changes to cover. Suits me just fine, I dig the hell out of dense boards.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

spacegoat posted:

The few I've played have been like this, too. Also the lack of decent cover rules make things feel like we're just lining up and running at each other. More LoS blocking terrain helps some, but it feels pretty binary.

Disclaimer: I am a Bad.

My own two games have both gone till turn 5 and seemed reasonably close the entire time. I suppose my game this last weekend against orks wasn't that close for points (7-11 or so) but that was more because the mission we were playing allowed my opponenet to score a shitload of points really fast due to his gigantic horde giving him some major board control during the first few turns.

On another note I really want to see some sort of announcement about the next release. The last few months have turned me into some sort of junkie for new 40k content.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Terrain, especially obstructive terrain, probably helps a lot with breaking up firing lines for melee armies and neutralizing straight-board charges for ranged armies. I can see it coming in handy for all sides involved.

Of course, not needing LOS to charge is a big buff in favor of melee unit long-shots. If you can hook around a mountain or building corner and smash into the enemy, they lose Overwatch and you score the charge.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pendent posted:

My own two games have both gone till turn 5 and seemed reasonably close the entire time. I suppose my game this last weekend against orks wasn't that close for points (7-11 or so) but that was more because the mission we were playing allowed my opponenet to score a shitload of points really fast due to his gigantic horde giving him some major board control during the first few turns.

On another note I really want to see some sort of announcement about the next release. The last few months have turned me into some sort of junkie for new 40k content.

Probably expect new Space Marine/Death Guard announcements after this weekend's AoS release.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

JSJ was terrible, it needed to go.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The Bee posted:

Of course, not needing LOS to charge is a big buff in favor of melee unit long-shots. If you can hook around a mountain or building corner and smash into the enemy, they lose Overwatch and you score the charge.

Which is a change I really like. You can actually set up ambushes now! Like, hide a unit around a corner and force the enemy toward them, then charge around the corner.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Kingfish posted:

JSJ was terrible, it needed to go.

I remember the same thing from Eldar fire prisms back in 3rd.

What a truly unfun experience.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Which is a change I really like. You can actually set up ambushes now! Like, hide a unit around a corner and force the enemy toward them, then charge around the corner.

Also: infantry running away from Wraith Knights into ruins where they can't be followed. It's pretty thematic.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, something tells me that MSU, super-dense urban maps could be incredibly fun.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My first 2 games this edition were determined on turn 2 and over by turn 3. After that I started getting more used to pile ins and consolidation and how melee plays out and my other games went the distance. I haven't actually won yet against a melee-centric army, but I've been losing on objective instead of being tabled now.

Also, is it weird that I sometimes let my hamster run around on my painting table with my miniatures

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 21, 2017

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I'm a little bummed that the tau army I just bought and painted now suuucks.
Fireblade doesn't buff long ranged shots
devilfish waaay overpriced for what it is--Seriously compare it to a chimera
Broadsides massively overpriced
Plasma rifles now objectively 100% worse than imperium plasma guns

It seems like stealth suits and seeker missiles are decent now at least, but I'm thinking of starting a mechanized astra militarum army instead.

thesurlyspringKAA fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 21, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

I've always loved this art, and these guys. Mainly because of the ridiculousness of Cavalry in the industrial age, which being based off of the WWI French with a touch of WWI German and WWI British, is one of the points of their design aesthetic.

In other news, my Dark Imperium arrived today. I love the box layout. All of the sprue is in a smaller box that pulls out if you want the rules first.

DkoK are probably my favorite model line from FW. I think it's because they appeal to the historical warham inside me, but space WW1 is just so grim dork in a 80s heavy metal kind of way

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I'm a little bummed that the tau army I just bought and painted now suuucks.
Fireblade doesn't buff long ranged shots
devilfish waaay overpriced for what it is--Seriously compare it to a chimera
Broadsides massively overpriced

It seems like stealth suits are decent now at least, but I'm thinking of starting a mechanized astra militarum army instead.

I guess that's what happens when you build and play armies off of what the current overpowered meta is.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Welll

Compared to a chimera, the devilfish is more expensive. It gets to fire the burst cannon at full BS when moving unlike a chimera's guns though, and though shorter ranged it still has a decent amount of firepower, 12 S5 shots with the drones instead of 6 from a chimera.

More importantly, the devilfish has 2 more wounds and it can fly. A chimera can get surrounded in melee by a consolidation, preventing it from backing up or disembarking. That'll never happen to a devlifish, it can fall back over enemy models and then shoot them. I'd rather have the devilfish. I think the stuff it brings is worth the extra 30 points, 40 with a pair of seeker missiles. I feel the devilfish works better as a transport and the chimera works better as a cheap gun platform in a faction of cheaper gun platforms.

Better comparison is Devilfish v Taurox or Taurox Prime really.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BULBASAUR posted:

DkoK are probably my favorite model line from FW. I think it's because they appeal to the historical warham inside me, but space WW1 is just so grim dork in a 80s heavy metal kind of way

I've always wanted to do a Krieg army, but Steel Legion are so close in looks it'd be a waste.

But man, the riders are such nice minis.