Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mad Dragon posted:

Has anyone ever made medieval armor (European or Japanese) out of carbon fiber?

I'm sure someone has, but I haven't seen it. Would be spendy, even compared to how expensive well-made steel is. The SCA never bothered with it because the standard formulation of carbon fiber doesn't hold up to blunt impact very well, and since they're fighting with rattan sticks, blunt impact is 100% of what the armor actually has to take.

The sweet spot for price vs weight seems to be HDPE plastic or aircraft aluminum.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Materials question. The internet indicate that I should tie armor plates together with paracord. I was browsing the hardware store yesterday and noticed that the braided clothesline is much, much cheaper. Is there a good reason to use paracord over clothesline, since I'm not using it to suspend my body?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Clothesline won't lie flat, which is essential to the look of Japanese armor. Paracord with the center nylon strings pulled out will. It'll be really narrow, though. The usual material for this is 3/8"-1/2" shoelace or braid. Others have quoted Laces 4 Less as a good source, and at $.52 per pair for 132" laces you'd be hard pressed to get paracord cheaper. Plus they have a bunch of nice colors.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 20, 2017

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm almost done adding paperclay to this gosh darned thing. I still have some dips in the overall form I need to bulk out to complete a round appearance.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Not directly cosplay, it could be but it's more meant to be a prop:

Deku Mask. I'm donating it to SGDQ this year. Kinda small to be actually worn, although it's a good size for a Happy Mask Salesman get up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is that clay?
HMS is a costume I've always wanted to do but do not have the patience for.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Inzombiac posted:

Is that clay?
HMS is a costume I've always wanted to do but do not have the patience for.

3D printed wood PLA that I slathered with wood putty, sanded, stained, sanded, then sealed with a wax treatment and Poly.

Here's some other pictures.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crain posted:

3D printed wood PLA that I slathered with wood putty, sanded, stained, sanded, then sealed with a wax treatment and Poly.

First off, that looks awesome.

Second, am I reading this right? There's a method of 3D printing that is basically liquid plywood? Holy poo poo.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

First off, that looks awesome.

Second, am I reading this right? There's a method of 3D printing that is basically liquid plywood? Holy poo poo.

Basically. It's wood pulp like fibers mixed with binders and PLA thermoplastic. So when the filament goes through the extruder the deposited layer's fibers bind slightly with the previous layer.

A lot of 3d printer people don't like but I get my best results from it I find.

Sands, stains, and glues just like real wood. It's weaker than normal PLA though.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Hey all, looking for some advice. I have a Casey Jones (Ninja Turtles) costume from Halloween that worked out pretty well. Bought a cheapo mask that was straight from the cartoon and spray painted the wear-n-tear away with white paint.

Looking to add to it, torn between making it look like the cartoon vs. functional/realistic. Is there a decent website for used sports equipment beyond Amazon? Thinking of getting some knee guards and a shoulder guard, plus a skinny golf bag to hold everything while walking around.

The plastic mask I have works but I wouldn't be opposed sinking a little dough into something sturdier.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone have any good resources for an ankle length coat like you'd see on a plague doctor or the like? I'm not looking for anything with a collar or lapels, just something basic and utilitarian.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Is there a decent website for used sports equipment beyond Amazon? Thinking of getting some knee guards and a shoulder guard, plus a skinny golf bag to hold everything while walking around.

Goodwill son. Or some other thrift shop.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
If you're in the US you might have a Play it Again Sports near you somewhere.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Crain posted:

Goodwill son. Or some other thrift shop.

That's what I did the first time around. Most second hand shops around here don't have much beyond baby clothes and crappy furniture.

cloudy posted:

If you're in the US you might have a Play it Again Sports near you somewhere.

Yup, that's where I got my hockey stick. But they don't have any cricket bats, goalie sticks, pads, and a bunch of other stuff I'm interested in. I'll check again later and see if maybe they changed things up.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

neogeo0823 posted:

Does anyone have any good resources for an ankle length coat like you'd see on a plague doctor or the like? I'm not looking for anything with a collar or lapels, just something basic and utilitarian.

Maybe an old graduation gown that you can modify? Goodwill tends to hoard those until Halloween but you might be able to find one this time of year.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

neogeo0823 posted:

A priest's cassock of some sort? There are a bunch on Amazon for fairly reasonable prices.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

So, for this year's PAX, I'm going to do mid-game Link from Breath of the Wild, with a random assortment of gear to reflect what I wind up actually wearing at any given point.

I'm doing the Stealth Tights for sure, which is kind of a stretch for me ability-wise since I've never really done any work in a really stretchy tights material. What makes it extra difficult is that it looks like the tights continue straight down and are part of the boots:

How the hell should I do this? I figure I'm going to buy some tabi boots, strip them down to just the soles, and build them back up somehow, but I don't really know where to begin, especially when working with such a stretchy fabric. Does anyone have any suggestions of things I could start looking at?

(also i might be doing the climbing gear because it means i don't have to attach any sleeves)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

blastron posted:

So, for this year's PAX, I'm going to do mid-game Link from Breath of the Wild, with a random assortment of gear to reflect what I wind up actually wearing at any given point.

I'm doing the Stealth Tights for sure, which is kind of a stretch for me ability-wise since I've never really done any work in a really stretchy tights material. What makes it extra difficult is that it looks like the tights continue straight down and are part of the boots:

How the hell should I do this? I figure I'm going to buy some tabi boots, strip them down to just the soles, and build them back up somehow, but I don't really know where to begin, especially when working with such a stretchy fabric. Does anyone have any suggestions of things I could start looking at?

(also i might be doing the climbing gear because it means i don't have to attach any sleeves)

Maybe don't try to make them the same thing? Why can't you just get tabi boots, and some matching colour tights, and wear them together / overlapping. No one is going to be looking for seams down at your ankle, especially if you have the additional strap on shin guards.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Skandranon posted:

Maybe don't try to make them the same thing? Why can't you just get tabi boots, and some matching colour tights, and wear them together / overlapping. No one is going to be looking for seams down at your ankle, especially if you have the additional strap on shin guards.

That is an excellent suggestion. Thanks!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

blastron posted:

Another suggestion in the "you don't have to make the actual thing, just make something that looks like it" camp:

Get regular leggings/tights, cut and sew up the tabi toe, then get some EVA foam for something and make a sandal of sorts to just wear on the feet.

Basically just the toe cups, a sole, and the heel cap. You can also make the cover on the top of the calf the same way.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Finally caught up on this thread and loved seeing everyone's thought process and execution when building stuff they're passionate about. I've been posting my final pics in the PYF Cosplay thread for awhile, but this time around I took lots of progress pics for the Ghoul Ana Candy Emote I just put the finishing touches on last night. Sorry for being spammy, but I'm really excited about what I accomplished here. I'm not the best at either sewing or prop-making, but I'm really proud of the most elaborate pieces I've made so far in my cosplaying career.

Tons more pics on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/jayssplays/

I'll be showing it off at Anime Expo in LA this weekend. If you're there keep an eye out for me, I'll be the one giving out handfuls of candy.

Keep making and posting badass stuff, thread!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

jmistajay posted:

Finally caught up on this thread and loved seeing everyone's thought process and execution when building stuff they're passionate about. I've been posting my final pics in the PYF Cosplay thread for awhile, but this time around I took lots of progress pics for the Ghoul Ana Candy Emote I just put the finishing touches on last night. Sorry for being spammy, but I'm really excited about what I accomplished here. I'm not the best at either sewing or prop-making, but I'm really proud of the most elaborate pieces I've made so far in my cosplaying career.

Tons more pics on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/jayssplays/

I'll be showing it off at Anime Expo in LA this weekend. If you're there keep an eye out for me, I'll be the one giving out handfuls of candy.

Keep making and posting badass stuff, thread!

That bucket build is brilliant.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Here are the costumes I made for Denver Comic Con this year.

Wonderwoman for a client she sent me some blurry photos but I hope to get some better ones from her.

There are process photos on my Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/funhilde/

Squirrel Girl for myself-

We also took Totoro to the Con and it was so awesome. We got a cheer when we entered.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Funhilde posted:

Squirrel Girl for myself-

That's a fantastic Doreen Green.

I did Oz Comic Con on the weekend, and was delighted to put Jason on again. Donated a sweater to a close friend and she made a Freddy in 3 days.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is that facepaint? Her Freddy burns look rad.

I also love that Squirrel Girl and that Wonder Woman. Great work all around!!

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
SHAMELESS CROSSPOSTING FROM PYF COSPLAY

Got lots of great pictures of my outfits at Anime Expo this past weekend.

My friend and I were reprising from PAX South Immortal 76 and Lady McCree on Day 1

And I was Ghoul Ana on Day 2. Fortunately people were very willing to take candy from a stranger, and I handed out something like 7 pounds of assorted sweets. I also found it kind of interesting that at the Overwatch meetup there were 8 or so ladies dressed as Captain Amari plus just me as the only outlier doing a different skin.

Not seeing any of my Ghoul Ana on Cospix.net yet, but hopefully they'll post some soon?

Also, found this other dude doing Ghoul Ana as well and I like seeing a different approach. I clearly put a lot of work into glowy electronics and the inside of the jacket, but he's got a gun and more accurate accoutrements. His costume also sorely lacks free candy.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

Is that facepaint? Her Freddy burns look rad.

Yeah, its apparently eye-shadow, lip (?) liner and a form of lipstick... I could be wrong.

From her:

quote:

Red lip liner, pink eye shadow, red lipstick, and black eye shadow for the burns and different shades of foundation for the wrinkles inbetween

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 6, 2017

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Goons. Help me.

I'm making Zorg's ZF-1 gun from The Fifth Element.

I'm 3D printing pretty much the whole thing. I am a few parts in, but I decided I'd check the scale before I went too much farther, so I printed it out 1:1 and mounted it on cardstock.

The scale is based off the rocket part - someone took measurements of it, which gave me something to scale against.

:siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: thinks it's too big. I'm comparing it against shots of Gary Oldman holding the thing.

My reference is basically his forearm length from fingers to elbow, in which case I think I'm close?. But Gary Oldman is also 5'9", and I'm 6'2", and probably have longer arms, so I'm not sure if I'm going overboard scale-wise.

What do you think, goons?

Harvey Baldman fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 8, 2017

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'd say go bigger. Oldman's extends down to his elbow, and yours is still pretty far from that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It might be a little on the bigger side, but not by a lot by what I can see.

Of course, the original prop was also comically huge so I wouldn't be bothered much by it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The scale as it is looks fine, but the joke is that it's a comically oversized in the movie.

It looks like something from Borderlands.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I would not worry about going too large on that gun unless it's for ergonomic/logistical reasons. It's hilariously huge and the one you have looks fine - I also agree that you could scale it up a bit, because its not actually sized the same on you as the prop is on Oldman. Very possibly you are taller/lankier and so its not matching right (Oldman is 5'9")

I have the reverse problem, where I have a replica of a prop that was made for Billy Campbell, who is 6'4", and I'm 5'10" so its outsized for me. Doh!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
IIRC from watching Adam Savage's videos about his one, there were half a dozen or so different models used on screen anyway, so its not trivial to find an acceptable 'canon size' for that reason.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What's a decent and simple method for connecting one thing to another that'd be plausible for a plague doctor? I'm making a sort of utility belt thing loosely based on some festival belt plans I found, and I wanna be able to hang my bottles and phials of weird cure-alls off of it for looks. I don't wanna use carabiners, and I'm not sure how D-rings would look/work for the smaller stuff. What did people use to hang things on stuff back then?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Does it have to be hanging? Image search "vial bandolier" and you'll see the tiny-pouch-based approach that I think is close to the look you want. You can do a similar technique with leather to make containers you can hang from a belt.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

legendof posted:

Does it have to be hanging? Image search "vial bandolier" and you'll see the tiny-pouch-based approach that I think is close to the look you want. You can do a similar technique with leather to make containers you can hang from a belt.

Huh. I didn't even know that was the name for it. That's much closer to what I was looking to make.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Actually, wait, duh, I will be making one of those, yeah, but I still need to hang bottles off of it in addition to the vials I'll be using. I'm gonna have 3 or 4 of these bottles as well, and I want to show off their webbing and have them swaying as I move and such. The specific bottles pictured there are the ones I have, so they have a rim around the neck that I can tie or wrap something around to use as the connecting piece to the belt.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Oh, yeah, with those you could add additional lacing as a loop hanging off the neck and larks head knot them onto your belt or something.

You can also make a leather bottle holder (if you want to be able to take them off) - I went looking for a picture of what I mean and just found this instructable, so take a look at this and modify according to your needs. You could probably use fake leather if cost is a concern, just pick something fairly sturdy and make proper straps rather than just cutting strips of it so the underside doesn't show.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Not exactly sure what period you are aiming for; the image of a plague doctor most people know is from the 1600s, but I think I've seen a number with a more steam-punky bent that push it later than that in general. I think that if you want to use D rings it would be fine - 1600s is full of elaborate armors and most typical buckles and fasteners would be fine - barring those spring clasps, I guess.

The easiest way to do it would probably be a simple leather strap with a buckle, you run the strap through the webbing, over your belt, and then buckle it back to itself. You'll see this sort of arrangement sold for LARP/SCA as a 'tankard hanger'. You can also look at this page of sword hangers for inspiration.

The answer to 'how did people hang things on stuff' is mostly 'they didn't' - if you try this you'll find that strapping a bunch of stuff to your belt, or even a bandoiler, is pretty unwieldy. Especially if you are making it heavy stuff like filled bottles, it mostly pulls down your pants and sways around. You'll notice that most practical ways of doing this, like toolbelts, rely on making fixed bags you put things in, rather than just tying things to each other. Don't get me wrong, it can look cool for a costume, but its not how things were done. People mostly only wore a few light items like a purse or a knife and if you had a bunch of stuff to carry you put it in bags or trunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If you are going the vial route, and have smaller ones, you can just grab a bandoleer for either shotgun shells or just large rounds/machine gun bullets.

Test tubes should fit in there pretty snug, and they can be made with elastic material so they have some stretch to em. Loop a small piece of leather or suede wrapping around the ends, and tie them or sew them to the back piece and it should be pretty secure.