Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

RCW 46.61.100 is really loving clear on this issue.

If you aren't moving to the right, you are breaking the law. Staying there because you think it's ok or to teach others a lesson does nothing but increase congestion and road rage. If you don't like it, move to WA, become a resident and author an initiative.

Have you ever received a phone call from a loved one telling you to get to the hospital because another loved one is about to die? Just move to the right, it's not that difficult. You have no clue why the person behind you needs to get where they are going, so just let them on their way instead of blocking traffic.
They're not going to be able to get onto the highway to get to the hospital because you won't let them merge in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

They're not going to be able to get onto the highway to get to the hospital because you won't let them merge in.

Not only are you the guy who drives 57 in the left lane, you are the guy that can't match speed and judge when to merge.
Can we forward this to ODOT? This guy needs extra driver's ed.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

48 Hour Boner posted:

So much for the tolerant left (lane)

It would be really sad if this gem got lost in the sea of poo poo currently happening here because people are mad at drivers.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

Not only are you the guy who drives 57 in the left lane, you are the guy that can't match speed and judge when to merge.
Can we forward this to ODOT? This guy needs extra driver's ed.
Only if you go back to school to shore up those flagging reading comprehension skills.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

seiferguy posted:

I mean, I see people going slow in the left lane, but rarely enough to feel like my rights have been impeded on. This just feels like one of those "I'm right and want to punish those who are wrong" laws. And also whoever pointed out that it will probably be used against minorities unjustly is right, too.

It's not about being punitive, it's about hoping the action will act as a deterrent against left lane squatters. Why does that seem reasonable? Because literally every other city in the US has this driving norm and it works.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Eggnogium posted:

It's not about being punitive, it's about hoping the action will act as a deterrent against left lane squatters. Why does that seem reasonable? Because literally every other city in the US has this driving norm and it works.

Police enforcement of traffic laws has/does not reduce traffic accidents or improve traffic in any way. This state already has laws regarding the left lane, and maybe you're just not very attentive but all over the US people ignore this law. It does not work regardless of where you live in this country, sorry to burst your bubble, but every city has bad drivers, we aren't exceptionally bad compared to other cities. Increasing enforcement only serves to punish people and like I said earlier, it'll probably target minorities.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
A lot of Seattle drivers think the Good and Proper thing to do is defer to the drivers they see in front of them. Seldom do they consider how their actions affect those behind them.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

Police enforcement of traffic laws has/does not reduce traffic accidents or improve traffic in any way.

Have you called the CDC to let them know they're wrong about this?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Officer Sandvich posted:

Have you called the CDC to let them know they're wrong about this?

Are you making a joke or something? What does the CDC have to do with traffic enforcement?

There have been plenty of studies about this in this country and in other countries. It's well known that police enforcement of traffic laws doesn't do jack poo poo, if you want to improve traffic and reduce traffic accidents it takes urban/transportation planning. At best police enforcement of traffic laws has no effect, at worst studies show it increases the number of accidents.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ElCondemn posted:

Are you making a joke or something? What does the CDC have to do with traffic enforcement?

There have been plenty of studies about this in this country and in other countries. It's well known that police enforcement of traffic laws doesn't do jack poo poo, if you want to improve traffic and reduce traffic accidents it takes urban/transportation planning. At best police enforcement of traffic laws has no effect, at worst studies show it increases the number of accidents.
The CDC does a lot of studies related to public health, and that does include driving. I don't know that any of their studies have measured the effects of traffic law enforcement.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

yo it's hella rude when I have to stop at a roundabout because those dicks already in the circle aren't yielding to me the person that is actually supposed to be yielding

actually they're called Traffic Circles here

e: (poo poo was that this thread or the Seattle thread that had a long argument about that?)

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It's amazing how angry people get about this left lane thing.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

It's amazing how angry people get about this left lane thing.

It is a good litmus test for the type of people who road rage.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

It is a good litmus test for the type of people who road rage.

I guess I'm glad I don't drive.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Reene posted:

real glad I don't drive rn

I just have to deal with heat stroke in the summer and hypothermia in the winter as I play the "will the bus arrive?" game

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GodFish posted:

I just have to deal with heat stroke in the summer and hypothermia in the winter as I play the "will the bus arrive?" game

Better than playing the 300/mo just to park game, really doesn't seem reasonable to drive to me.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

ElCondemn posted:

Better than playing the 300/mo just to park game, really doesn't seem reasonable to drive to me.

and the drivers insurance poo poo, ya

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
It takes the same amount of time for me to get home driving as taking the bus so I just commute because at least if I fall asleep on the bus my nap won't kill someone (in theory).

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

I guess I don't see how a short term, public campaign about enforcing a already existing law results in more minority oppression. Notwithstanding the illegality of pretextual stops in WA, State Patrol could already pull over people for lane camping (and probably did on a regular basis) but because of the ubiquity of traffic violations and a lot of other factors, the law was less likely to be enforced. A public campaign with press releases and news stories draws attention and reminds people not to do it. If anything, a public campaign seems more likely to be generally enforced, rather than a selective excuse for targeting.

Similarly, see "Increased DUI Patrols Happening Now."

That is, unless we are operating on the assumption that every single law enforcement policy and procedure exists purely as an excuse to oppress minorities.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

marxismftw posted:

That is, unless we are operating on the assumption that every single law enforcement policy and procedure exists purely as an excuse to oppress minorities.

Maybe not an excuse to oppress minorities directly, but certainly a way to appeal to straight white males. Did you notice how these left lane guys are so militant about it? Why do you think the police force is promoting that? Do you think police don't know who this kind of public declaration of enforcement appeals to?

But regardless of the targets any action by police calling for stricter enforcement is just code to fragile whites to garner support. I say "gently caress the police" and a people will come out of the woodwork all day to say "my step-newphew-in-law is a police officer and he's not a bad cop", they do that because they've been conditioned to see police as moral and anyone negatively impacted by them as immoral. So really ask yourself why is there a public campaign about enforcing a law that hasn't changed and who is most likely to suffer for it?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I just did some driving, and I'm glad they're enforcing this obscure law.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

No Pants posted:

It's literally on the driving test, it's not an "obscure law".

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/docs/driverguide-en.pdf

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Maybe they should make the fucks everyone had to pass on the right re-take the test!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

No Pants posted:

Maybe they should make the fucks everyone had to pass on the right re-take the test!

Here's a suggestion, go the speed limit or bellow and maybe you wont be endangering peoples lives by passing on the right.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

No Pants posted:

I also just did some driving, and it turns out that Washington drivers are extremely bad at it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

I also just did some driving, and it turns out that Washington drivers are extremely bad at it

He's probably stuck doing 15mph by an rear end in a top hat bicyclist camping that lane.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

ElCondemn posted:

Here's a suggestion, go the speed limit or bellow and maybe you wont be endangering peoples lives by passing on the right.

What a useful suggestion.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ElCondemn posted:

lol
Thanks for the advice grandma :rolleye:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah. I try and take public transit when I can. But then the only bus coming into my neighborhood breaks down from having too many tech interns on it.

Literally happens everyday since summer started. It's easier and less frustrating just to walk.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
"But it's THE LAW!!!"

*commits reckless driving and illegally undertakes on the right in a fit of rage*

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

Maybe not an excuse to oppress minorities directly, but certainly a way to appeal to straight white males. Did you notice how these left lane guys are so militant about it? Why do you think the police force is promoting that? Do you think police don't know who this kind of public declaration of enforcement appeals to?

But regardless of the targets any action by police calling for stricter enforcement is just code to fragile whites to garner support. I say "gently caress the police" and a people will come out of the woodwork all day to say "my step-newphew-in-law is a police officer and he's not a bad cop", they do that because they've been conditioned to see police as moral and anyone negatively impacted by them as immoral. So really ask yourself why is there a public campaign about enforcing a law that hasn't changed and who is most likely to suffer for it?

They do public enforcement campaigns on all sorts of stuff, from HOV violations, late merging, drunk driving, speeding, and now this. They get complaints, State Patrol doesn't have the resources/manpower/willpower to ticket it on a regular basis, so they do public awareness campaigns to remind everyone, that yes, it is still against the law.

They have all the resources they need right now to apply the law as it is, unfairly to minorities, without notice or a public campaign. Why do you assume this is targeted oppression rather than the opposite? After 15 years of driving on PWN highways, left lane campers that I notice are almost exclusively elderly and white. You could argue that there is something fundamentally unfair about warning white people ahead of time that they might get busted, but that assumes that everyone is equally ignorant of the law and that minorities aren't on notice about other crimes that they are disproportionately targeted for. Such a point of view would ignore that the purpose of the increased enforcement and public relations campaign is not to give out more tickets, but to remind people that it's illegal in the first place.

There's tons of issues with racism and policing in Washington, but it seems weird to try and make this specific circumstance part of it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Javid posted:

"But it's THE LAW!!!"

*commits reckless driving and illegally undertakes on the right in a fit of rage*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6cyDsuNx_U

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

ElCondemn posted:

I get real loving sick of relying on Trimet's capricious and fey-like definition of the word "schedule" not to mention tacking an extra hour on my commute anywhere but yeah it's the price you pay to avoid the rest of this horseshit.

Even using Lyft two or more times a week on top of paying 100/mo for my monthly bus pass it's still miles cheaper.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Javid posted:

"But it's THE LAW!!!"

It's legal on multi-lane roadways in Washington. :angel:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

jesus will forgive him for killing that bicyclist

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

Uh, then why the gently caress did I previously respond to you directly, agreeing that people suck at merging? Why the hell are you yelling at me about this poo poo?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, then why the gently caress did I previously respond to you directly, agreeing that people suck at merging? Why the hell are you yelling at me about this poo poo?
I didn't know I was yelling?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

Answer my question.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

anthonypants posted: