Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Their local news sucks imo and the people who run their op-ed page are dumb.

Also both versions of their website are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

On the purely retail level, yea. But Whole Foods has a lot of operations and IT based out of the Austin headquarters, and I imagine there is going to be some serious upheaval there. (Fortunately, pretty much everyone I know who worked at Whole Foods HQ jumped ship years ago...)

Makes me wonder if the people working in Whole Foods stores will get their wages cut drastically, wasn't entry level around 10/hr? Like somewhere on par working at Costco.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Crossposting from Trump thread because jesus loving christ:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

In other "Our State Legislators Are Bad And Also Fuckheads" news:

https://twitter.com/rfelliott/status/875751337891442689

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Badger of Basra posted:

Their local news sucks imo and the people who run their op-ed page are dumb.

Also both versions of their website are bad.

I'd rather read their information on local elections than the Chronicle.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I'd rather read their information on local elections than the Chronicle.

People who are really in the know read the Monitor :smug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Best major paper in Texas is probably the DMN. But my god they require you to white list them and the ad experience is invasive.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/pfikac/status/875813187941273600

When are we going to get a buff mayor?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

notice the can of spinach tattoo

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Question... Why did Pete Sessions run unopposed last year in the 32nd? Was there really no democratic candidate interested in running against him?

Seems baffling to me, since the district went democrat in the general.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well the thing about the Texas Democratic Part is that it's extremely bad.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This year I'm moving from Dallas to Waxahachie (about 30 miles south). Looks like they went pretty red (about 75-25 for Trump). I wonder if any sentiments have changed.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

zoux posted:

Well the thing about the Texas Democratic Part is that it's extremely bad.

Is it because many candidates applied but the Party didn't select one? I find it impossible to believe nobody in a district of 750,000 wanted the job.

"Bad" doesn't explain it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

smoobles posted:

Is it because many candidates applied but the Party didn't select one? I find it impossible to believe nobody in a district of 750,000 wanted the job.

"Bad" doesn't explain it.

Really? Who wants to spend their time and money dragging themselves across their congressional district to lose. Being a candidate sucks. Oh yeah and also, hope you know how to campaign (and who to hire) cause you're not going to get much help in that department.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TX 23 was considered the only swing district before election day, every thing else was safe. TX 32 went for Romney by like 17 points. Sessions had $2.3 million in his war chest in 2016, and Democrats are overly careful with their limited funds. Most of the effort was focused on the Hurd/Gallegos race.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Really? Who wants to spend their time and money dragging themselves across their congressional district to lose. Being a candidate sucks. Oh yeah and also, hope you know how to campaign (and who to hire) cause you're not going to get much help in that department.

Goddamn your reasoning loving sucks. Other than Democratic Texan Nihilism, there is no other reason you should have typed the words you did. "Wahh, I poll above the state R/D average, therefore I should expect no help".

Nobody gives a gently caress. People are personality-based at this level. Normal people can do this. Trab, gimme your top 5 for the nom in this district and I promise my rear end could beat half of them in a fair fight

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aliquid posted:

Goddamn your reasoning loving sucks. Other than Democratic Texan Nihilism, there is no other reason you should have typed the words you did. "Wahh, I poll above the state R/D average, therefore I should expect no help".

Nobody gives a gently caress. People are personality-based at this level. Normal people can do this. Trab, gimme your top 5 for the nom in this district and I promise my rear end could beat half of them in a fair fight

You mistake my point. I'm saying I don't begrudge why random citizens don't put the effort into running for office without a party eager to help them.

There is no such thing as a fair fight and just because "normal people" can subject themselves and their family to the poo poo circus that is campaigning it doesn't mean normal people would want to do it.

You can't rely on good candidates to volunteer themselves they have to be found and convinced by activists and the party.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jiro posted:

Makes me wonder if the people working in Whole Foods stores will get their wages cut drastically, wasn't entry level around 10/hr? Like somewhere on par working at Costco.

I seriously doubt it. 10/hr is pretty standard in grocery work these days, with Wal-Mart also offering that as a minimum. The Whole Foods competitors like Natural Grocers, Sprouts, and Trader Joes all offer comparable or higher pay.

Whole Foods doesn't really take care of its workers that well, although they do spend a lot of time cultivating an image that they do. If they cut back on their current pay, they'd have serious issues.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

You mistake my point. I'm saying I don't begrudge why random citizens don't put the effort into running for office without a party eager to help them.

There is no such thing as a fair fight and just because "normal people" can subject themselves and their family to the poo poo circus that is campaigning it doesn't mean normal people would want to do it.

You can't rely on good candidates to volunteer themselves they have to be found and convinced by activists and the party.

agreed, why can i go 1/4 mile down 620 and get 13/hr at Taco Bell? i got calls back from freda's and holiday inn express this week and i turned them down because of a $17/hr offer

my weekly bike commute is over 120mi and it loving sucks but lol it's better than someone else telling me what to do over my shoulder on my shift

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/south-southworst-56239

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Trabisnikof posted:

Pete Sessions district suffers from this kind of thinking. Voted Clinton. No Democratic challenger.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A lovely Reporter posted:

Crossposting from Trump thread because jesus loving christ:

What the gently caress. Again I have to ask like I did earlier, is there anything "normal people" can do about this crap?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This election was a wake up call for many people. Maybe I'm being optimistic but I can't see that kind of thing happening again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lote posted:

Pete Sessions district suffers from this kind of thinking. Voted Clinton. No Democratic challenger.

It suffers from a lack of long term Party development and strength. Blaming everyone in the district who didn't run as a challenger misses the forest for the trees.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
It's 100 degrees in June.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ghetto Prince posted:

It's 100 degrees in June.

That's pretty normal. At least for here in the RGV.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jiro posted:

We didn't have the rainy season. It just didn't happen.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So last few days I've been researching more about state politics, something I don't normally pay attention to but I really should. Trying to learn more just makes me more depressed, though.

Also
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06/15/uttt-poll-texas-republicans-strongly-support-trump/

I know partisanship is running wild but I figured a university of all places wouldn't be so terrible.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So last few days I've been researching more about state politics, something I don't normally pay attention to but I really should. Trying to learn more just makes me more depressed, though.

Also
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06/15/uttt-poll-texas-republicans-strongly-support-trump/

I know partisanship is running wild but I figured a university of all places wouldn't be so terrible.

That's a poll of all Texans run by UT, not a poll of university students.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rasmussen has the highest support of any favorability poll. Goddamn, Nordic people are awful

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

That's a poll of all Texans run by UT, not a poll of university students.

...oh. :negative: My bad.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/patricksvitek/status/877184800637038592

Texas Monthly is trolling all of us

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FYI the Schaefer "show me your papers" amendment only went on because the D's refused to deal. They had an agreement between leadership to pull down that amendment in exchange for trimming the 150 D amendments to 15 or so. Anchia and Turner were for it, but a bunch of valley Ds decided they would rather grandstand on the floor for eight hours. Guess how many of those D amendments went on the bill. Good Job Texas Democrats :thumbsup:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/tex...ath-house-floor

Als the Schaefer amendment was identical language to the Senate version but nobody called it a "show me your papers" bill until that amd. was introduced on the House floor. The power of messaging.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 20, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

FYI the Schaefer "show me your papers" amendment only went on because the D's refused to deal. They had an agreement between leadership to pull down that amendment in exchange for trimming the 150 D amendments to 15 or so. Anchia and Turner were for it, but a bunch of valley Ds decided they would rather grandstand on the floor for eight hours. Guess how many of those D amendments went on the bill. Good Job Texas Democrats :thumbsup:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/tex...ath-house-floor

Als the Schaefer amendment was identical language to the Senate version but nobody called it a "show me your papers" bill until that amd. was introduced on the House floor. The power of messaging.

If by Valley you mean Rio Grande Valley, then that's not at all surprising. Considering we are a majority Hispanic population on the border and have people driving in cars from Mexico 24/7, and you know living here working here. All. The. Time.

Also it is most certainly not grandstanding when you have a personal investment in this, family members, family history of recent immigration. It's all extremely personal. Especially when you have the more conservative north and east Texans acting scared about us down here. And we down here know it's only the poor that will suffer for it, the gangs, corrupt cops with ties across the river are going to put the screws to those families that aren't here legally because they know they won't go to the police for fear of getting dumped back across the river.

The irony is that you have poor and rich illegal immigrants living in those northern cities as well. And usually those rich illegal families are tied to Narcos, and are left untouched on purpose so they can be surveiled, while the poor will be almost immediately targeted even if their only crime is crossing illegally but obeying the law otherwise. It's hateful and based in ignorance, and willfull pandering to people that just loving suck.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 20, 2017

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

They're forecasting 107 in McAllen on Thursday :cmon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you think that the citizens and residents of the RGV are worse off under a bill that permits immigration checks at any lawful detention or one that only permits checks for arrested persons? Because the House Democratic Caucus could've had the latter but instead they decided to speak for 15 hours at the front mic for the former.

SB 4 is a racist, hateful, bad bill in either case, but one version is going to hurt Hispanic Texans and immigrants a lot more than the other. And the only thing they got for it was a few extra hours of garment rending.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

zoux posted:

Do you think that the citizens and residents of the RGV are worse off under a bill that permits immigration checks at any lawful detention or one that only permits checks for arrested persons? Because the House Democratic Caucus could've had the latter but instead they decided to speak for 15 hours at the front mic for the former.

SB 4 is a racist, hateful, bad bill in either case, but one version is going to hurt Hispanic Texans and immigrants a lot more than the other. And the only thing they got for it was a few extra hours of garment rending.

The 15 amendments would not have went in either. Republicans pulled this with healthcare and the public option. Texas Republicans are no different.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

They're forecasting 107 in McAllen on Thursday :cmon:

Pffft my cousins have it worse in Rio Grande City 106 tomorrow, 109 Thursday, 108 Friday with a possible reprieve of 98 for Saturday. :colbert: This is pretty much the norm for us. And also when AC's start to ice up, even here at work. Had the beer side of the work fridge ice up twice now. Have to start de-icing it in the morning with blowers on for a few hours before being able to crank on the cooling air.

zoux posted:

I think down here it won't be as bad if it went either way since the police force across the length of the Valley is also majority Hispanic. It's the DPS that concerns me that is out in ridiculous numbers in Western Hidalgo, Starr, and Zapata counties. You can see them on both sides of the highway two or three at a time for pretty much every quarter to half mile, and they stop pretty much every truck and 18 wheeler out there. My uncles are stopped regularly by DPS that cycle in and out of the region due to them driving big rigs, and or big rear end pickups that have spare tires for rigs. They're always respectful and polite, and from their accounts met with suspicion and more often than not rudeness that they, living in one of the poorest counties in America, are able to own an 18 wheeler or an over sized pickup truck for work. I fear for them it's going to be like a return to when they were young in the late 60's and 70s when they were migrant workers in the fields and treated like absolute sub human poo poo.

I see what you're saying but like a quote in the article read, you're essentially saying we have a choice while having a gun to our heads which is no choice at all. I would rather have those that represent us down here actually take a stand instead of caving in for something that, in my eyes, attacks our dignity as Hispanics either way. I'd rather be able to see who will stand and be counted on and can be counted on. Because you are going to have an even bigger drop in immigrant families cooperating with local law enforcement everywhere in this state. Even the local cops say so and know it, some don't blame them for not wanting to involve law enforcement they understand.

zoux posted:

Really the whole point of the bill was to let the state of Texas declare "we hate Hispanics" and give Republican primary voters boners.

The northern and eastern parts of Texas have been making that abundantly clear for a while now.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 21, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SirKibbles posted:

The 15 amendments would not have went in either. Republicans pulled this with healthcare and the public option. Texas Republicans are no different.

Yes so instead of 150 amendments not going on, 15 would not have gone on. And then people couldn't be stopped on the street for the flimsiest excuse and be asked for their papers. Now they can (at least until the courts step in)

Also, putting it back to the senate version allowed for a simple concurrence. Maybe the arrest/detain difference can't be reconciled in conference and the bill dies. The House reaaaally didn't want to vote for the detain language.

Jiro posted:

I think down here it won't be as bad if it went either way since the police force across the length of the Valley is also majority Hispanic.

I don't think it'll have much of a huge effect anywhere tbh. Everything in the bill (minus the detain language) was already allowed, the bill just banned cities from banning cops from doing it, and complying with detainers. I don't think Austin, Houston, SA, or valley cops were champing at the bit to become junior ICE officers, and outside of a few dickheads, I don't see that changing much. As far as detainers, the cities were still complying with detention requests for actual dangerous criminals and the whole issue might be moot anyway with the recent 5th (?) court ruling.

Really the whole point of the bill was to let the state of Texas declare "we hate Hispanics" and give Republican primary voters boners.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gee Charlie Brown you didn't even try to kick the football