Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Marxalot posted:

Whether or not you should ska or heal is highly situational and dependent on the gear of both the healer and the tank. But more often than not pubs are just dumb and bad.

That and there's a good chance that your "Heal me!!" tank is used to bad healers that let him die while trying to spam Stone II.

Please, whatever you do, do not ska in dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up,l *cast rez on the Dragoon*

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Can you Flamethrower without a target to build heat during phase transitions?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Had a DRG cry at me in Dun Scaith earlier because I used Red Mage LB3 on Diabolos Hollow once he'd cast his commit suicide move.

It's like the only time I'll ever get to see it and not have it be a total useless waste.

It's also cool as fuuuuck.
Bet that DRG doesn't even glamour. Fashion > Function

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was a fun thing found in the red mages discord BTW. If a mana type is unbalanced it will not only gain, but lose half of what it should. It may be a bug but it allows you to go into a melee phase early if you start with 0/0.

"Unbalanced thing: when white and black mana difference is >30, the smaller mana has gains reduced by half, but also expenditure is reduced by half; namely riposte cost goes 30->15, zwerr and redoub go 25->12"

"Precast Accel+VerAero -> VerThunder -> VerStone -> VerThunder -> Jolt2 -> VerThunder -> Impact -> VerThunder -> Manafication -> Melee combo"

"After manafication you're at 54/100"

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Where the other classes can't do the same job.

Also, expansion launch, no poo poo some classes are outperforming. This happened at HW launch, too.

i mean, paladin could do literally everything in HW, but by and large people really didn't bring them in progression content. can you explain why that is? spoilers: it's because ease of completion is a much more useful balancing metric than just ability of completion. i don't doubt that all of the tank jobs *can* clear all of the content, but if paladin can clear it x times easier than the other tanks, why bring the other tanks? i don't doubt a static of like seven other people you know would be fine with you playing warrior, or whatever, but if you don't think there will be a noticeable difference come raid-time when one of the tank classes does 25 percent more damage, survives way better than the others, is barely reliant on burst windows to do their top dps, and can mitigate ridiculous damage for the rest of the raid, you've got your head buried in the sand.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My dumb question: can I just install the game again with a trial account until I'm ready to sub on my real account? Weird they don't let you download with expired accounts.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
How long would it take a new player to catch up to the new expansion (without using those boost potions). I've been enjoying the trial so far, but I'm hearing a lot about the hundreds of main story quests that will need to be completed to move on to the new content. The complete edition for $48 on Amazon is tempting, but I don't want to spend 2-3 hours a night doing fetch quests for the next 2-3 months. I'm not expecting to be raid ready in a week, but I also don't want to be stuck in a drawn out leveling process that I'd only complete long after people get bored of the new content, and struggle to get groups.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i mean, paladin could do literally everything in HW, but by and large people really didn't bring them in progression content. can you explain why that is? spoilers: it's because ease of completion is a much more useful balancing metric than just ability of completion. i don't doubt that all of the tank jobs *can* clear all of the content, but if paladin can clear it x times easier than the other tanks, why bring the other tanks? i don't doubt a static of like seven other people you know would be fine with you playing warrior, or whatever, but if you don't think there will be a noticeable difference come raid-time when one of the tank classes does 25 percent more damage, survives way better than the others, is barely reliant on burst windows to do their top dps, and can mitigate ridiculous damage for the rest of the raid, you've got your head buried in the sand.

I had a similar problem trying to go Warrior when T4 was current. Running me and the OT as PLDs was just astoundingly easier and WAR just wasn't worth the effort.

This has a slightly different weight now because LB gauge builds faster with diverse classes or w/e, but I bet we'll be seeing a lot of dual-PLD groups.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

the pvp set is great and looks way better with this sword and not the pvp sword

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are there lvl 50 armor pieces I can buy for samurai with tome stones or something? I feel very squishy using the armor you get when you unlock the job trying to grind quests and events in the open world and leveling via PotD seems hit or miss when you could waste 20 minutes with nothing to show for it because people can't seem to learn to avoid damage zones.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

80 Bard skill line.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TyrantWD posted:

How long would it take a new player to catch up to the new expansion (without using those boost potions). I've been enjoying the trial so far, but I'm hearing a lot about the hundreds of main story quests that will need to be completed to move on to the new content. The complete edition for $48 on Amazon is tempting, but I don't want to spend 2-3 hours a night doing fetch quests for the next 2-3 months. I'm not expecting to be raid ready in a week, but I also don't want to be stuck in a drawn out leveling process that I'd only complete long after people get bored of the new content, and struggle to get groups.

I completed ARR (1-50 and 50-heavensward)in about 3-4 weeks playing a couple hours a night, skipping all cutscenes/quest dialogue and doing nothing but MSQ. The 50 to Heavensward quests will break you.

I boosted past Heavensward MSQbut I've read you can get through that in a week or two.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

TyrantWD posted:

You'll never struggle to get groups for anything, really. There's a set of duty queue roulettes that give big rewards to people who do them every day for the entire span of all content in the game more or less. Leveling is trivial and happens naturally. The single BIGGEST timesink in the game is doing the Main Story Quest line. It's single player and is completed solely at your pace. How quickly you do that is entirely up to you, but it is quite long. Don't worry at all about people getting bored of content and struggling to find groups though. I did a roulette yesterday and got one of teh first dungeons in the game, and I'm level 67 and near the end of Stormblood MSQ. Additionally, if it's your first time doing a dungeon, it gives extra rewards to the party members who have already completed it but who are helping you to run through it.

My advice is to just treat the MSQ like you're playing JRPG and enjoy it at your own pace. The story is actually pretty solid and holds up well next to any other single player RPG. Don't stress about "catching up", it just doesn't matter at all. You can't really be "left behind" in this game outside of trying to stay current with content if you're playing with a static group of friends or whatever. Just play the game and enjoy the story and Stormblood will be there when you're at that point in the story. Have fun!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are there lvl 50 armor pieces I can buy for samurai with tome stones or something? I feel very squishy using the armor you get when you unlock the job trying to grind quests and events in the open world and leveling via PotD seems hit or miss when you could waste 20 minutes with nothing to show for it because people can't seem to learn to avoid damage zones.

Ironworks from Poetics.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

I'm pulling these numbers out of my rear end but to catch up to SB if you're not skipping cutscenes and dialogue is probably like 80 hours give or take worth of MSQ. ARR itself is 30-40 of that and is kinda padded out but from 2.2 the pace picks up pretty quickly with way fewer fetch quests padding poo poo out. Being a couple weeks behind isn't gonna be a big deal don't worry about it.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

pissdude posted:

You'll never struggle to get groups for anything, really. There's a set of duty queue roulettes that give big rewards to people who do them every day for the entire span of all content in the game more or less. Leveling is trivial and happens naturally. The single BIGGEST timesink in the game is doing the Main Story Quest line. It's single player and is completed solely at your pace. How quickly you do that is entirely up to you, but it is quite long. Don't worry at all about people getting bored of content and struggling to find groups though. I did a roulette yesterday and got one of teh first dungeons in the game, and I'm level 67 and near the end of Stormblood MSQ. Additionally, if it's your first time doing a dungeon, it gives extra rewards to the party members who have already completed it but who are helping you to run through it.

My advice is to just treat the MSQ like you're playing JRPG and enjoy it at your own pace. The story is actually pretty solid and holds up well next to any other single player RPG. Don't stress about "catching up", it just doesn't matter at all. You can't really be "left behind" in this game outside of trying to stay current with content if you're playing with a static group of friends or whatever. Just play the game and enjoy the story and Stormblood will be there when you're at that point in the story. Have fun!

Add this to the OP, please.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Lol if the story isn't the main reason you play the game. The rest is okay, but that's the main draw.

That said, it's pretty easy to catch up and you probably aren't missing that much by taking your time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fister Roboto posted:

my hellsguard bard, Mighty Bosstone

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Meldonox posted:

Lol if the story isn't the main reason you play the game. The rest is okay, but that's the main draw.

That said, it's pretty easy to catch up and you probably aren't missing that much by taking your time.

To add to this, you can still group with higher level players for LDR and the level scaling options are good in this game.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just heard of the server bottleneck and it sounds like the WORST experience ever. I feel REALLY bad for you guys right now.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I've got a quite possibly very dumb question, and a very long way to ask it, so here goes.

I started playing this game a couple months ago and I levelled up along the main quest as a Dragoon, because a buddy suggested it as I wasn't sure which job to play, and that was fun. I didn't have Heavensward so I stopped progressing along those quests for a while. I love tanking in games so I started levelling a Paladin at this point because I've always been a sword & shield fan when it comes to tanking. I enjoyed playing him a lot and got to 45 via POTD and some dungeons, but then my sub ran out so I decided to wait until Stormbloods release before playing again.

Now it's here and my original plan was to play my Paladin along the main quest from where I stopped, but I tried playing Red Mage and I'm really liking this class, so much so I've been using him for the pre-heavensward quests I've done so far.

I've done some of these trials and things from other quests (like along the Hildibrand quest line) that are unlocking before Heavensward and even as my Red Mage I barely have a clue what's going on or what to do, and I don't think I've actually been much help in the fights.

As you can imagine that's probably bad for a tank so how much would I struggle as a relatively new player as a tank going through the Heavensward content and then into Stormblood? Would it be difficult or would people be annoyed at me for having poor gear/no knowledge of the fights?

Would it make more sense to play through all the main quest stuff as the Red Mage and then level up my Paladin when I'm more used to the dungeons and whatnot? I'm thinking this might be the best option as I do like Red Mage, even though as mentioned I really do love playing a tank in games (or at least when I have a little more familiarity).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There is like exactly one mandatory fight that will give you trouble as a new tank and it's level 70, if only because your co-tank can main tank for you in 8-man content. Maybe if both of you are new it'd be an issue but even then just following best practices will get you through 90% of stuff without knowing the fight.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm going to say that you'll pick up the essentials of tanking quick enough, and none of the story dungeons are going to be mechanically intensive for a new tank. Learn how to hold threat on multiple targets, learn to use your defensive abilities properly and you've got a good start. once your comfortable not losing threat and not dieing, you can play around with stance dancing on bosses. And if you mess up, well, you mess up. Everyone else is overgeared by this point so you'll have an easy enough time to recover. You can always practice by running some mid-level stuff to get a feel for it. It doesn't really change past the 30s.

Tanks come with the benefit of fast queues, whereas you'll probably be waiting ~30 minutes every time you try to do a dungeon as rdm.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Grouchio posted:

I just heard of the server bottleneck and it sounds like the WORST experience ever. I feel REALLY bad for you guys right now.

Are you talking about when the instances were broken or did something else happen

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm going to say that you'll pick up the essentials of tanking quick enough, and none of the story dungeons are going to be mechanically intensive for a new tank. Learn how to hold threat on multiple targets, learn to use your defensive abilities properly and you've got a good start. once your comfortable not losing threat and not dieing, you can play around with stance dancing on bosses. And if you mess up, well, you mess up. Everyone else is overgeared by this point so you'll have an easy enough time to recover. You can always practice by running some mid-level stuff to get a feel for it. It doesn't really change past the 30s.

Tanks come with the benefit of fast queues, whereas you'll probably be waiting ~30 minutes every time you try to do a dungeon as rdm.

As someone who had never played an MMO before this one I had no problems learning how to tank.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jinh posted:

There was a fun thing found in the red mages discord BTW. If a mana type is unbalanced it will not only gain, but lose half of what it should. It may be a bug but it allows you to go into a melee phase early if you start with 0/0.

"Unbalanced thing: when white and black mana difference is >30, the smaller mana has gains reduced by half, but also expenditure is reduced by half; namely riposte cost goes 30->15, zwerr and redoub go 25->12"

"Precast Accel+VerAero -> VerThunder -> VerStone -> VerThunder -> Jolt2 -> VerThunder -> Impact -> VerThunder -> Manafication -> Melee combo"

"After manafication you're at 54/100"

So they didn't fully math out how their system works and as a consequence the ideal rotation is to deliberately do things the "wrong" way? Or would this have otherwise negative consequences on your dps output? I haven't redmaged yet so I'm not sure if don't this screws you in some other way.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Honest healers before Stormblood:

Post-Cleric Stance change:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SonicRulez posted:

The 65 NIN quest reminds me of why I wish we could replay instances. That was some hot stuff.

Care to spoiler bar what it was? I did the 65 RDM quest yesterday and if all the jobs are taking the same tack then that makes me really look forward to the leveling process for the rest of the jobs.

RDM 65: Going through the last wing of Great Gubal Library--boss included--was inspired and made me feel like a total boss. :c00l:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
DRG 70 has you tank swap with Estinien using elusive jump

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

vOv posted:

Can you Flamethrower without a target to build heat during phase transitions?

Out of combat heat gain is explicitly disabled for flamethrower and barrel stabilizer. It's...something.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress. I was loving the new MCH... but then I tried to do a FATE. Leveling down unequips gauss barrel just like it did in Heavensward, but while it was previously only a mild annoyance it now costs you all your heat. :argh:

Honestly the heat mechanic is really interesting but it also seems horribly half baked and unfriendly. There's a lot of little tweaks they could do to make it better, but I don't imagine any of it happening quickly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
speaking of out of combat resource generation, a pro tip for other red mages: pop Manafication on cooldown when you're questing. just like, any time you dismount to gather a resource or something, use it. it's a free 20/20, 40/40, etc. mana.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Asimo posted:

gently caress. I was loving the new MCH... but then I tried to do a FATE. Leveling down unequips gauss barrel just like it did in Heavensward, but while it was previously only a mild annoyance it now costs you all your heat. :argh:

same with sen and kenki for SAM which while not quite as bad is still pretty annoying

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The thing that annoys me about samurai is that there's no way to dump Sen before a boss fight, although I think that's somewhat remedied by Hagakure at 68. Until then, though, you can totally gently caress your opener in a dungeon.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Okay for real, why am I suddenly throwing giant fire frogs at dudes as a ninja, is there some secret ninjutsu lore regarding frogs or something?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

UHD posted:

Okay for real, why am I suddenly throwing giant fire frogs at dudes as a ninja, is there some secret ninjutsu lore regarding frogs or something?

Yep

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

UHD posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiraiya

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

UHD posted:

Naruto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Oh, neat, I had no idea.

Only thing I would change about ninja :argh: