Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Stanyer89 posted:

I guess that's what happens when you build and play armies off of what the current overpowered meta is.

I didn't... no one used railsides, I bought them because I liked the model. Similarly, I don't have a riptide or stormsurge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I didn't... no one used railsides, I bought them because I liked the model. Similarly, I don't have a riptide or stormsurge.

Railgun Broadsides do legitimately look pretty badass. It is sort of a bummer that the way some people like to play their armies got nerfed, but let's all be honest here- Tau were some serious bullshit in 7th, especially if you played an assault focused army :smith:

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Here's another dump of my Imperial Fist photos.

Tactical Squad (A):

Tactical Squad (B):

Tactical Squad (C):

Tactical Squad (D):

Drop Pod:

Bike Squad:

Land Speeder (A):

Land Speeder (B):

Stormtalon (A):

Stormtalon (B):

Devastator Squad:

Predator:

Land Raider (A):

Land Raider (B):

Imperial Knight (A):

Imperial Knight (B):

Imperial Knight (C):

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
more fists

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

DkoK are probably my favorite model line from FW. I think it's because they appeal to the historical warham inside me, but space WW1 is just so grim dork in a 80s heavy metal kind of way

I honestly just want more DKoK models because they look good. I'd be glad if I just have a small detachment to use as count-as troops for my army.
To which I'm really close with, all I technically need is another infantry blob. And like one extra guy because the Grenadier squad I won in an auction only had 9 guys.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Pendent posted:

Railgun Broadsides do legitimately look pretty badass. It is sort of a bummer that the way some people like to play their armies got nerfed, but let's all be honest here- Tau were some serious bullshit in 7th, especially if you played an assault focused army :smith:

They totally were. There was a lot of cheesy subsystem rules that could stack all kinds of buffs and it needed toning down.

You can't play them the same way anymore, but most of the batreps are still people fielding them as if it were 7th, but with 8th rules. Huge/many units of infantry with poo poo saves, relying on a stormsurge for main damage, no commanders issuing auras, just trying to marker light everything and hope for rapid fire range. Devilfish never move, breachers never get in somethings face.

Tau players are 9-10 reactionary, rather than making the enemy deal with their units.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So Kromlech sells tarantulas for 13 euros if anyone's interested. They're so loving good. https://bitsofwar.com/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=sentry

Tarantulas are T5 W4 3+ save, 4+ BS. Take up a fast attack slot, comes in a unit of 1-3. 27 points for twin HB, 45 for twn assault cannon, 37 for multimelta, 60 for twin lascannon or a kinda lovely Heavy d3 krak missile launcher that only does d3 damage and is better at shooting flyers.

You just deploy them like a normal model, they can't move and if they're in melee are hit automatically but can shoot while in melee. Some of them have some targeting restrictions, needing to shoot the closest unit. Because FW is bad at writing rules the multimelta and assault cannon ones have no targeting restrictions. Tarantulas have the <CHAPTER> keyword so buffs work on them. I guess your captain yells at the robot really good?

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 21, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Here's another dump of my Imperial Fist photos.

Your armies are fuckin righteous dudes. Kudos to you both

(Edited because I thought the second post was the same guy! So many good fists)

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 21, 2017

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I am not the biggest fan of space marines, but I will make exceptions for cool yellow marines, keep posting them forever

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
[quote="Kabuki Shipoopi" post="""]
1. Huge/many units of infantry with poo poo saves, 2. relying on a stormsurge for main damage,
3. no commanders issuing auras,
4. just trying to marker light everything and hope for rapid fire range.
5. Devilfish never move, breachers never get in somethings face.

Tau players are 9-10 reactionary, rather than making the enemy deal with their units.
[/quote]

1. Never happened in 7th.
2. Granted.

3. Commanders have max weapon range of 36", they should be among other crisis suits blasting at the enemy flanks, not floating behind fire warriors doing nothing. It seems like you want commanders to be LESS mobile.

4. Homie, we need markerlights. Our primary damage dealers have worse BS than an IG veterans, a *SIX POINT MODEL*

5. Sure if you've seen this you've seen it, but it would be idiotic to keep a 130 point transport with short ranged guns immobile in the rear. I load mine with carbine fire warriors and try to wreak havoc.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
So, I'm still waiting on my full fulebook, but I have the "digest" PDF that they released and I have my ePub index for Chaos and T'au and wanted to confirm something: can units not shoot out of vehicles at all?

I remember previous editions having "Fire Points" or whatever, allowing X number of models to shoot out of them, but I'm not seeing anything mentioning them in 8th edition.

I won't be too sad if shooting out of vehicles is not allowed: I never remembered to do it in 6th edition at all so it won't make any difference to my Rhino-carted Noise Marines in 8th. :v:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

1. Never happened in 7th.
2. Granted.

3. Commanders have max weapon range of 36", they should be among other crisis suits blasting at the enemy flanks, not floating behind fire warriors doing nothing. It seems like you want commanders to be LESS mobile.

4. Homie, we need markerlights. Our primary damage dealers have worse BS than an IG veterans, a *SIX POINT MODEL*

5. Sure if you've seen this you've seen it, but it would be idiotic to keep a 130 point transport with short ranged guns immobile in the rear. I load mine with carbine fire warriors and try to wreak havoc.

I didn't mean that was a list of things you should do, but what I've seen people doing in 8th which is bad, so I think we are agreeing here? Of course markerlights are needed, but they shouldn't be the crux of your entire army. Once you lean on one unit too heavily as Tau, you lose.

I completely agree on the point of commanders running around with suits. If you had shadowsun running around with 3 crisis suits with 2 fusion blasters each, advanced targeting systems and 2 each of the markerlights per crisis suit, those fusion blasters now have -5 AP with their S8 D6 damage. Kauyon allows for rerolls of missed to hit rolls, plus any benefit of markerlights, AND you can keep them all alive using the drones as ablative wounds, and the drones aren't a part of any unit so don't count towards morale checks.

Even if that little troupe doesn't wreck poo poo, it's something your enemy absolutely should deal with, hopefully freeing you up to put them on the defensive, or divide up their army enough so they can't just focus down the weaker units unchecked.

A lot of my point comes from the Tabletop Gaming batrep where the Tau guy just sat back and tried to facetank a shitload of space elf firing. The guy playing DrewCarey had total control of the table and the shooting, and the Tau guy just scrambled to react to his damage. I guess my TLDR is the Tau are fine, but don't play/field them the way you used to. :shrug:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
When people are playing games of 8th edition, what missions are you playing? So far I've played one each of Planetstrike, Eternal War, and Maelstrom and found the new Maelstrom missions to be much improved, but I suspect that games and experiences will differ greatly both while players are learning the new edition and also based on the mission played.

In particular, the Narrative Missions strike me as the most fun to play in the new edition, but I suspect that people are mostly playing the standard Eternal War/Maelstrom set.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I never play any of the missions with my friends, we just stick something in the middle of the board and call it an objective and we say whoever is camping on it by the end of turn 6 is the winner

This something often ends up being an overturned cup or an empty cardboard box

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Xarlaxas posted:

So, I'm still waiting on my full fulebook, but I have the "digest" PDF that they released and I have my ePub index for Chaos and T'au and wanted to confirm something: can units not shoot out of vehicles at all?

I remember previous editions having "Fire Points" or whatever, allowing X number of models to shoot out of them, but I'm not seeing anything mentioning them in 8th edition.

I won't be too sad if shooting out of vehicles is not allowed: I never remembered to do it in 6th edition at all so it won't make any difference to my Rhino-carted Noise Marines in 8th. :v:

Unless your vehicle is open-topped models can't shoot from it, iirc

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

When people are playing games of 8th edition, what missions are you playing? So far I've played one each of Planetstrike, Eternal War, and Maelstrom and found the new Maelstrom missions to be much improved, but I suspect that games and experiences will differ greatly both while players are learning the new edition and also based on the mission played.

In particular, the Narrative Missions strike me as the most fun to play in the new edition, but I suspect that people are mostly playing the standard Eternal War/Maelstrom set.

Just been playing the non-tactical-objectives ones. The narrative ones look really fun, I think our group will actually try them once we get a couple more of the 'balanced' mission types in and get used to all our units in the new rules.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xarlaxas posted:

Unless the transport specifies, no you can't shoot out. Makes my Sisters of Battle sad (minus the repressor which should kick rear end).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

I never play any of the missions with my friends, we just stick something in the middle of the board and call it an objective and we say whoever is camping on it by the end of turn 6 is the winner

This something often ends up being an overturned cup or an empty cardboard box
Playing with objectives is objectively better than this. Just use quarters or something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Played a game of 8th today against Beer4theBeerGod. Called it after 2 because it was getting rush-hour-ish and I was getting destroyed. I had orks in face turn 1 and my IG could not kill stuff fast enough to do anything about it. I'm a little demoralized because he had control the whole game and I felt as if I had very little agency: it was the old pick up my models bit by bit while he rolls poo poo.

Good thing 8th is such a huge change from 7th.

EDIT - Oh, and my loving GW order got delayed in goddamn Lorton. So now I won't get to play with new plastic spacemen until tomorrow. Today sucks.

On the plus side that Asian restaurant was pretty tasty.

I think I learned a lot about how survivable Battlewagons are (extremely), but also how ridiculously potent meltaguns are when used properly. I think units of meltaguns (like Command Squads) in transports would be incredibly dangerous for the Guard. Drive up, unload melta squad, nuke enemy, repeat.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

On the plus side that Asian restaurant was pretty tasty.

I think I learned a lot about how survivable Battlewagons are (extremely), but also how ridiculously potent meltaguns are when used properly. I think units of meltaguns (like Command Squads) in transports would be incredibly dangerous for the Guard. Drive up, unload melta squad, nuke enemy, repeat.

I wonder if the full listing for Primaris Hellblaster squads will have a melta version. I suspect the Primaris codex is going to look a bit like a Sigmar codex with simplified weapon options.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So why do I have to look up what disgustingly resilient on the data sheets?

There's certainly room on them for it.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
I've spent way too much money on new orks this week. Boys are so expensive nowadays but I need 200+ Goff choppa boys. I've also updated my cheesy lootas and shokk attack gun 1500pt list after many games and much hilarity. It's a spearhead deployment with an extra -1cp HQ slot, 3 naked battlewagons, 3x14 squads of lootas and 3 Shokk Attack guns. I found the big shootas on the wagons to be unnecessary and by removing them and benching 3 lootas you can afford an extra big mek. You'll only get 3 command points which I save to re-roll lousy shot number rolls on the Shokks. Multiple Shokk attack guns really perform well, the -5 ap and d3 wounds are great at crippling land raiders and dealing with terminators. It's a stupid gimmick list but it's fast to play and can be quite effective, but it struggles against MSU lists and lascannon spam lists. Teleporting terminators with chainfists will pack your poo poo in faster then Bill Cosby in a coma ward.

I have a rules lawyers question for the intelligent goons about reinforcement rules while I'm here.

I'm not sure if I got it wrong or not (apologies if this has been covered), but I initially assumed during matched/narrative play that the reserves rule applied to everything that comes onto the board via esoteric means such as teleportation. However many hams in the local group point out that units such as terminators, lictors etc. have rules that say they deploy at the end of any movement phase and that "codex trumps BRB". Another lad pointed out that reserves in narrative/matched are references to certain mission deployments(eg. patrol) and are a subset rule for those deployments only and that a deep striking units normal rules are not effected. That makes sense to me, but there is a now a standoff among some of the local hams about it, as some have been on the receiving end of a terminator spam list doing the rounds and believe turn one teleports are intended for open play only.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pendent posted:

I'd like to see some numbers on how much the Primaris release has hurt the sales on smallmarines. There's a bunch of stuff that looks pretty good now that I'd never bother to buy before like Whirlwinds and Landraiders but the knowledge that there's likely to be a new, bigger, replacement sometime soon really puts a damper on things.

Little early to call, IIRC aren't the only Primaris models out so far the ones in the Dark Imperium boxed set? Give it a bit for the actual model range to be out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you want to play small marines play 30k! It's just as fun as 40k and twice as expensive!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JBP posted:

If you want to play small marines play 30k! It's just as fun as 40k and twice as expensive!

Oh, just you wait. You think there won't be bigmarines in 30k this time next year?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Oh, just you wait. You think there won't be bigmarines in 30k this time next year?
There won't be. The Raven Guard Raptors might show up, but biglys are purely a 40k thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only way 30k will go big is if GW turn around and go "hahahaaha loving sucked in, we just changed the entire scale of the game by stealth, hope your bin can accommodate those land raiders."

Also I think the FW sculptors would kill themselves.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Safety Factor posted:

There won't be. The Raven Guard Raptors might show up, but biglys are purely a 40k thing.

I thought I read something about them loving around with this for 10k years and some of these primaris guys have been in tubes suspended for that time? I'm sure they can retcon it that there was a trial run of primaris marines during the post siege of terra cleanup.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

ElNarez posted:

Unless your vehicle is open-topped models can't shoot from it, iirc

My Dark Eldar will have some fun when I retrieve them from the northern hemisphere then!

LordAba posted:

Unless the transport specifies, no you can't shoot out. Makes my Sisters of Battle sad (minus the repressor which should kick rear end).

Ahh, okay, so, it's specified on the datasheet, neat.

I'm really liking the (pretty much) everything is explicitly written out on the Datasheet aspect of 8th edition: it feels like that most "can X do Y" questions can be answered with "does it say it can on the datasheet?" Definitely going to make it easier for new players.

My problem is that I have vague memories of 2nd, 3rd, and 5th edition in my head, so I need to unlearn a bunch of stuff.

Thanks for the answers. :D

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chutche2 posted:

I thought I read something about them loving around with this for 10k years and some of these primaris guys have been in tubes suspended for that time? I'm sure they can retcon it that there was a trial run of primaris marines during the post siege of terra cleanup.

Bobby G and Cawl put this plan into motion in the 30k era and I think that's when most of them went into their EZ Bake chambers but Cawl wasn't ready for debut until recently IIRC.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

mango sentinel posted:

Bobby G and Cawl put this plan into motion in the 30k era and I think that's when most of them went into their EZ Bake chambers but Cawl wasn't ready for debut until recently IIRC.

I think they've technically been good to go the whole time, but the holy imperium meant Cawl couldn't keep doing cool poo poo for fear of being murdered. Now that Gooly is back it is on for young and old.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

mango sentinel posted:

Honestly, I think that if they can mind wipe space marines to forget about the Grey Knights for like 8-9k years, making people forget about your trial batch of this new tech while the majority remain sealed would be easy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

chutche2 posted:

Honestly, I think that if they can mind wipe space marines to forget about the Grey Knights for like 8-9k years, making people forget about your trial batch of this new tech while the majority remain sealed would be easy.

HH players are massive loving grognards and probably wouldn't buy them.

Not in my historical wargame!

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hey, how does he already have 200 years of service?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rando posted:

They've fast forwarded the timeline by just over 200 years. The indomitus crusade is over and primaris marines are in general circulation with chapters basically.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rando posted:

There's a Primaris upgrade track for existing Marines. Still doesn't explain the Dreds tough.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

There's a Primaris upgrade track for existing Marines. Still doesn't explain the Dreds tough.
They said somewhere that the new dreadnoughts are normal sarcophagi slapped into a different chassis.

30k's got like 5 different dreadnoughts. Whatever, this is no big deal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Added on 112 years have passed since Guilliman started his new crusade. The First of the new Dreads was the first Primaris Casualty that could not be healed.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
All I'm really hoping for now is to have the rest of the Primaris line release before the Konor campaign kicks off, so I have enough time to build poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

JBP posted:

HH players are massive loving grognards and probably wouldn't buy them.

Not in my historical wargame!

That's not the proper size for Ultramarines in late M30.