Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Antz is not good

There is a scene where they dance to Guantanamera and it's a bad movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Unmature posted:

Has anyone ITT ever successfully (or unsuccessfully, I guess) pitched an animated series to a network? I'm working on a pitch right now and would love any stories or advice.

If nobody here has personal experience (Which I don't recall anybody having, but I could be wrong), you could always look up show creators and staff on Tumblr and Twitter, Owen Dennis (Infinity Train) for example is decently active on Tumblr and will occasionally answer questions.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just watched Trolls.

That was a really pretty movie with a really positive message.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Unmature posted:

Has anyone ITT ever successfully (or unsuccessfully, I guess) pitched an animated series to a network? I'm working on a pitch right now and would love any stories or advice.

there was a/ some dudes in the animation thread in CC that pitched to (iirc) Cartoon Hangover, and there are a couple of professional animators there so it might be worth checking out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Just watched Trolls.

I agree, we must eat the Trolls.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If nobody here has personal experience (Which I don't recall anybody having, but I could be wrong), you could always look up show creators and staff on Tumblr and Twitter, Owen Dennis (Infinity Train) for example is decently active on Tumblr and will occasionally answer questions.

I've been reading a ton online, but hasn't seen Owen's stuff. I'll check it out, thanks.

Koramei posted:

there was a/ some dudes in the animation thread in CC that pitched to (iirc) Cartoon Hangover, and there are a couple of professional animators there so it might be worth checking out

Thanks, I'll check that out too. I'm also pitching to them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Unmature posted:

I've been reading a ton online, but hasn't seen Owen's stuff. I'll check it out, thanks.

No problem, I wish you luck!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ConfusedUs posted:

Just watched Trolls.

You all said I was crazy.

Well, who’s crazy now?

Me.

Crazy prepared :smug:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Guy Mann posted:

You all said I was crazy.

Well, who’s crazy now?

Me.

Crazy prepared :smug:

I love that line so much. So many twists and turns!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The new Cartoon Network show O.K. K.O. was made by a goon, iirc

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

starkebn posted:

I really like Bug's Life, I don't understand the apparent hate for it.

Same. Was actually one of my favorite animated films as a kid. I even played the hell out of the PS1 game. I wouldn't even consider it one of Pixar's "weaker" films. It's nowhere near Cars franchise levels of lazy.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Ian Jones-Quartey is a goon?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

GonSmithe posted:

That's right! Ian JQ. He also worked on Steven Universe and posted in that and the Adventure Time threads in TVIV for a bit. Not sure if he still does.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I watched Antz a whole bunch of times when I was a kid. It's still Allen's best movie because 1) You don't have to actually see the little worm, just an ugly rendered ant. 2) The MC and love interest are supposed to be the same age. 3) It actually has funny moments.

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
I've always preferred Antz, setting aside my loathing for Allen. There are jokes in that film that still randomly occur to me and make me smile, stupid though some of them are. The wasps being WASPs, the Marxist revolution among the ants, Z's therapy session... The music is also really great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD2t3SCbDvI

It's an ugly film though; even taking into account that it's thematically appropriate for it to look kind of grody, there's stuff in there that looks like they had no idea how to render or texture it. The trash in the trash chute escape sequence sticks out as especially weird-looking.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
All things ant are good. :anttony:

While we're talking about animated ants:

Based on the novel of the same name by French author Bernard Werber (not the short story of the same name by H.G. Wells, which inspired the 1977 film), Empire of the Ants is a project I've been waiting for for years. Announced around 2007, I believe it's still underway, but details and news are scarce. Hell, I only just finally found some footage as I was doing my usual periodic search for news yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlsLbk4ueM

The novel follows a series events surrounding a large colony of Formica rufa ants - mostly from the perspective of the ants. Ants, termites, humans, war, intrique... it's a weird book (The author has a brief excerpt on his website). I've seen it called "Watership Down. But with ants," and if you get a chance you should check it out.

A fun fact to bring it back around, Bernard Werber apparently tried to get a film adaptation made back in the 90s...

Bernard Werber posted:

We were going to make a film in the USA, based on “Empire of the Ants.” The person selling the rights contacted [film producer] Jeffrey Katzenberg of DreamWorks Animation. He told my representatives at Canal+ that he would make a film about ants but would not pay anything for the rights. He launched into production on “Antz.”

-----

EDIT: And while I'm talking about France, animation, and macroinvertebrates, everyone should check out the tv series Minuscule.

Here's some of the shorts collected:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcmxipxAObg

There's even a feature-length film now (following the ants, because of course :colbert:):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94QlYiCmWvg

Official Youtube Channel for Minuscule

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 21, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

A fun fact to bring it back around, Bernard Werber apparently tried to get a film adaptation made back in the 90s...

I almost admire the sheer dickery of that comment.

"Hm, nice idea. Welp, mine now."

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

ImpAtom posted:

I almost admire the sheer dickery of that comment.

"Hm, nice idea. Welp, mine now."

It should be noted that Antz and Werber's novel are very much not the same story outside of some obvious things like warring with termites, political machinations, etc.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Alehkhs posted:

EDIT: And while I'm talking about France, animation, and macroinvertebrates, everyone should check out the tv series Minuscule.

Here's some of the shorts collected:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcmxipxAObg

There's even a feature-length film now (following the ants, because of course :colbert:):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94QlYiCmWvg

Official Youtube Channel for Minuscule

Minuscule it's a cute as hell show :kimchi: It's on/was latin american Netflix, dunno on other countries. But yeah it's a nice funny thing to see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

It should be noted that Antz and Werber's novel are very much not the same story outside of some obvious things like warring with termites, political machinations, etc.

Oh, I know. Just the comment of "Huh, a movie about ants. I'm going to make a movie about ants. Not YOUR movie about ants." Antz is very much not Watership Down.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Alehkhs posted:

All things ant are good. :anttony:
I dunno, I admittedly never watched it, but just going off boxart/what promotional material I can remember, The Ant Bully does very little for me.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

That's right! Ian JQ. He also worked on Steven Universe and posted in that and the Adventure Time threads in TVIV for a bit. Not sure if he still does.

I still can't believe that the guy who made RPG World and used to draw MS Paint comics about how shitposters were ruining GBS 10 years ago grew up to actually be a successful cartoon showrunner.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

This looks awesome.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

I still can't believe that the guy who made RPG World and used to draw MS Paint comics about how shitposters were ruining GBS 10 years ago grew up to actually be a successful cartoon showrunner.

The cycle is much shorter now. The SU crew hired at least three shitposters based purely on the quality of their shitposts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Whiz Palace posted:

The cycle is much shorter now. The SU crew hired at least three shitposters based purely on the quality of their shitposts.

wait are you loving serious

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

wait are you loving serious

no and yes: 3 of the show's storyboard revisionists (Lauren Zuke, Amber Cragg, and Mira "Tang" W; the former two being promoted to storyboard artists after openings popped up and the later two hired because the previous was promoted) were hired because of their fanart, they just also happen to have a shitposty sense of humor

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh okay I was wondering if there was sweet, sweet moolah I was missing by not applying my shitposting talents to gay space rocks

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

no and yes: 3 of the show's storyboard revisionists (Lauren Zuke, Amber Cragg, and Mira "Tang" W; the former two being promoted to storyboard artists after openings popped up and the later two hired because the previous was promoted) were hired because of their fanart, they just also happen to have a shitposty sense of humor

And at least one of them got fired for being too shitposter-y.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

gmq posted:

And at least one of them got fired for being too shitposter-y.

it sounds like they left, not that they were kicked out (there's posts from them indicating they still have a job at Cartoon Network)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bolingbroke posted:

I've always preferred Antz, setting aside my loathing for Allen. There are jokes in that film that still randomly occur to me and make me smile, stupid though some of them are. The wasps being WASPs, the Marxist revolution among the ants, Z's therapy session... The music is also really great:

It's an ugly film though; even taking into account that it's thematically appropriate for it to look kind of grody, there's stuff in there that looks like they had no idea how to render or texture it. The trash in the trash chute escape sequence sticks out as especially weird-looking.

Still get this theme stuck in my head sometimes.

I haven't even seen Antz in like, fifteen-ish years.

Darn good movie though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If anyone is in the SF Bay Area or thereabouts, I'd really recommend the Walt Disney Family Museum's exhibit of Eyvind Earle art. Holy poo poo is that stuff gorgeous in person. I'm still gawking at it and I'm at home.

Edit: Here are some galleries of his work. While his relevance to this thread is his work on Sleeping Beauty, just LOOK AT IT:

http://www.paragonfineart.com/artists/eyvind-earle.html
http://www.eyvindearle.com/products.aspx?type=serigraph

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 25, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

If anyone is in the SF Bay Area or thereabouts, I'd really recommend the Walt Disney Family Museum's exhibit of Eyvind Earle art. Holy poo poo is that stuff gorgeous in person. I'm still gawking at it and I'm at home.

Moving there soon and can't wait to visit the museum. I plan on volunteering.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I could stare at their model of Disneyland all day and never get bored.

I have stared at their model all day and never got bored

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's a good museum.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit: Here are some galleries of his work. While his relevance to this thread is his work on Sleeping Beauty, just LOOK AT IT:

http://www.paragonfineart.com/artists/eyvind-earle.html
http://www.eyvindearle.com/products.aspx?type=serigraph

Ohh my god that's some stunning art.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7IGBkaIQiG8Qj1AQ9qcC2saBebitmjRW
The latest student shorts from Gobelins are in! The quality seems a bit more uneven than in previous years but they are still pretty good. Also, unless you work at a schlong factory, My Pleasures and Morning Coffee are pretty :nws:.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pentaro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7IGBkaIQiG8Qj1AQ9qcC2saBebitmjRW
The latest student shorts from Gobelins are in! The quality seems a bit more uneven than in previous years but they are still pretty good. Also, unless you work at a schlong factory, My Pleasures and Morning Coffee are pretty :nws:.

It's been a hard few months at the schlong factory. More layoffs, and a couple of weeks ago a guy fell into the machinery and got completely mangled. It was terrifying, hearing the screams. Management only gave us the afternoon off because they had to extract the body and hose down the gears. It was back to work the next day. People walk around with this haunted look in their eyes now. There's not much talking amongst us, even on our measley 20 minute lunch breaks. Just a... defeated silence.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should reboot Avatar The Last Airbender to be accurate to the periodic table of elements.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

They should reboot Avatar The Last Airbender to be accurate to the periodic table of elements.

Im not watching a show that has 20 minute long opening credits and 30 seconds of actual episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Everything changed when the Plutonium Nation attacked...