Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

False Toaster posted:

This is hilarious.. OPO's dubious claims about OP5 dual camera being top tier, yet reviews indicate it's poo poo/inconsistent and lackluster in low light. Icing on the cake is that they stated that they can't even promise consistent security and software updates. Like what the gently caress. Why would you say that on a product you heavily marketed and just released? gently caress just hire a dev off XDA or something.

Yeah, the Ars review has image samples that just look embarrassingly bad. Combine it with such a lovely and shady company, no expectation of updates/support, I have no idea why so many turbonerds buy into the marketing.

But hey, it has a lot of RAM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's too bad cause it could be a great Nexus alternative

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What's the point of dual cameras anyway? Has anyone done a worthwhile implementation?

Even on my iPhone shots from the 'zoomed in' camera look lovely enough that I'd rather just crop from the main one (which I think the phone itself does some of the time anyway)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

dissss posted:

What's the point of dual cameras anyway? Has anyone done a worthwhile implementation?

Even on my iPhone shots from the 'zoomed in' camera look lovely enough that I'd rather just crop from the main one (which I think the phone itself does some of the time anyway)

Huawei uses a monochrome sensor with better dynamic range to improve image quality on many of their phones. It also takes really nice 20mp black and white photos. You can read a detailed review of their dual cam setups Here

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Don Lapre posted:

It's too bad cause it could be a great Nexus alternative

Yep. I will be all over a phone from them once they demonstrate a track record of phones that dont have bad screen lag and get reasonable support.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thermopyle posted:

Yep. I will be all over a phone from them once they demonstrate a track record of phones that dont have bad screen lag and get reasonable support.

I mean, on xda its like, one dude can keep a phone or tablet up to date indefinitely yet one plus cant.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I'll probably end up keeping my Pixel but I'm hoping that the Pixel 2 isn't made by LG because otherwise, this year's flagship lineup will be extremely uninspiring.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Literal garbage

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I know this is from a couple of pages back now, but...

Nalin posted:

I would not get a USB-A charger with a USB-A to C cable, though, as I'm pretty sure standards compliant USB-A to C cables only allow a maximum of 1.5A of power. You won't be able to fast charge with that.
How would I know if the cable that came with my Axon 7 is standards compliant? It at least seems like it's safe, considering nobody has reported issues with it so far (that I've found). The charger it came with is USB-A and the cable is C-to-A/A-to-C, and it seems to be charging around 3A if Ampere is to be believed. The three states that the charger has specified on it are 5V/3A, 9V/2A, and 12V/1.5A.

What I'm gathering, though, is for extra cables I should stick to the known good cables that have been mentioned and not necessarily just whatever's on the USB-IF list since some of the things on there are also apparently not safe. I'll probably at least end up trying a USB-PD charger and seeing if it still quick charges. If not, I can always look for a reputable Quick Charge charger.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh hey, page 911 and we're talking about Samsung phones, seems relevant.

Oh hey they're a major brand with significant market share in the Android device market and it'd be pretty fuckin' weird if the Android thread didn't talk about them!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
So who all is getting the new OnePlus phone? Looks pretty cool.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Oh hey they're a major brand with significant market share in the Android device market and it'd be pretty fuckin' weird if the Android thread didn't talk about them!

It was an explosion joke hth

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hughmoris posted:

So who all is getting the new OnePlus phone? Looks pretty cool.

Did you read the last page? Or was this a joke?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blue Train posted:

It was an explosion joke hth

Oh that does help. There's enough people itt whining about how everyone is aware of Samsung phones being garbage so I assumed a continuation of that pattern.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Literal garbage

I know they've bumped the G6 warranty to two years. Maybe LG is confident in their new products? The G6 is certainly a better phone than the OP5, even with the older chipset (that is still really quite exceptional).

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
2 years manufacturers is standard in many countries with stronger consumer protection rules. Not to mention statutory warranties can be for the life of the device (i.e. longer than 2 yrs).

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Forever_Peace posted:

I have an unlocked Moto X Pure that I'll be taking to Europe next month. What are folks using for travel SIM cards these days? ~1gig of data and ~20 texts should cover my needs.

In Finland I bought a Telia sim which had 10GB of EU data, 600mins/600txt for 25€/month for my summer trips. Considering keeping it since it has 100mbps unlimited data inside Finland..

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My wife and I are both really impressed with the G5+ phones we got a few days ago. The whole package feels flagship with the exception of the camera. The Moto software goodies are as good as I remember, and the fingerprint reader shortcuts are a great addition as well. Good recommend, guys.

:respek:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

nimper posted:

The pinnacle of Moto X models was the 2014 and nobody can convince me otherwise.

The battery on my 2014 just bit the big one like hours ago and I am pretty bummed out.

I guess I should get a G5+? I'm out of the phone loop since I finally found one I liked and held onto it for like 3+ years.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yep

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Get it from a place with a good return policy like Costco as the announcement of the Moto X4 is expected before the end of the month.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Cool thanks, I'm going to go pick up the 4GB version now. Not spending $600 on a phone seems kind of cool? I dunno

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Grog posted:

I know this is from a couple of pages back now, but...
How would I know if the cable that came with my Axon 7 is standards compliant? It at least seems like it's safe, considering nobody has reported issues with it so far (that I've found). The charger it came with is USB-A and the cable is C-to-A/A-to-C, and it seems to be charging around 3A if Ampere is to be believed. The three states that the charger has specified on it are 5V/3A, 9V/2A, and 12V/1.5A.

What I'm gathering, though, is for extra cables I should stick to the known good cables that have been mentioned and not necessarily just whatever's on the USB-IF list since some of the things on there are also apparently not safe. I'll probably at least end up trying a USB-PD charger and seeing if it still quick charges. If not, I can always look for a reputable Quick Charge charger.

Yeah, it seems I was a little wrong. I haven't found a single place that really explains all this poo poo, so you have to bounce around to a dozen different places and try to piece it all together, which sucks. So, from what I can tell, a good USB-A to C cable needs a 56k ohm resistor on it. The purpose is to advertise that the cable is connected to a "default usb power" port, which will get you 5V/0.5A. Incorrect cables use stuff like a 10k ohm resistor, which makes the phone think it is connected to a pure 3A capable port, which will then cause it to try to pull a full 3A and possibly fry the port. Anyway, from there it can negotiate USB BC 1.2 to go up to 5V/1.5A, or, I believe, it can negotiate one of the proprietary charging protocols to use higher amperage or 9V or whatever.

I'm not sure exactly how you test your own cables. Benson Leung seems to use some special hardware, as well as some special Chromebook dev tools. I would just use it to charge your device through the charger and not risk using it to connect it to your computer.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Lot of people here were saying that once the OP5 came out, Oneplus would forget about 3/3T owners. This screenshot is from a Oneplus 3:

Bet you guys feel pretty stupid now :smug:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Cool thanks, I'm going to go pick up the 4GB version now. Not spending $600 on a phone seems kind of cool? I dunno

You know what feels even better than not having to spend $600 on a phone?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Incessant Excess posted:

Lot of people here were saying that once the OP5 came out, Oneplus would forget about 3/3T owners. This screenshot is from a Oneplus 3:

Do they normally push ads to the system or is this new?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IOwnCalculus posted:

You know what feels even better than not having to spend $600 on a phone?

Not living in Phoenix

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr. FAUXTON'S 5X got dunked in the shitter and died, she reverted back to her N5 for a week while waiting for her Pixel and was neutered-pet levels of miserable. No fingerprint sensor, none of the new emojis, lovely camera, sluggish UI, the whole 9.

She bought her 5X at most a year ago so she's not a big sperg about the newest hardware. She immediately ruled out having a Samsung because of how pissed she still is at the Sprint Galaxy Nexus lol.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's funny, I had to use my N5 for a few days while my N5x got replaced and I was pretty happy with how it performed. Minus the whole 4 hours of updates thing.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Duggler posted:

Do they normally push ads to the system or is this new?

This is the first one from what I've read.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

quote:

Before everyone here freaks out. This is only from the OnePlus community app. Which can have notifications cut off and even uninstall the app. So it's not OnePlus pushing this on phones without permission.
This guy was bitching yesterday on a different post.
Turn off the loving notifications ffs and shut up

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

I don't think this helps the case any.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Not living in Phoenix

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm still incredibly happy with my Axon 7!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Alan_Shore posted:

It even gets updated

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Carl Pei (Co-founder @oneplus) posted:

🔥🔥🔥The first numbers are in, the OnePlus 5 is our fastest selling device ever!🔥🔥🔥

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Alan_Shore posted:

:same:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

let me guess, it's installed by default and notifications are on by default

which is basically exactly the same as the device forcing an ad on you

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Taffer posted:

let me guess, it's installed by default and notifications are on by default

which is basically exactly the same as the device forcing an ad on you

It's also probably not the source of the notification.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/6ilt22/oneplus_pushes_op5_adnotification_on_op3t_phones/dj7f5ux/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

hahahahahahaha, good lord it just keeps getting better