Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Guy Goodbody posted:

this is the stupidest goddamn take. You don't need to swing Republicans, non-voters are a far larger group.

He clarified to make it a lot less dumb but yeah, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Quorum posted:

this is not and has never been how primaries worked, if you like someone then vote for them, the DNC literally does not get to decide this stuff, and in fact has very little power over anything at all besides occasionally fundraising. Blame people you like losing on not enough people liking them, no more.

If you like someone for president now, I encourage you to start laying the groundwork. The failing for most unsuccessful presidential primary runs has been insufficient ground work, and only you can solve this problem for Future Space Communist Duckworth Martin O'Malley.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Glazier posted:

And when you lose in 2018? Then what? What about 2020 when Trump will be reelected in a landslide, what then?

Continue shoveling sand with a spoon.

Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

skylined! posted:

trump isn't making it out of 2017 you broke brained fucks

Hey I resemble that remark. And they tell me it's not broken anymore, just a bit misaligned.

Though in all seriousness the sooner they get the Orange One out of the White House the better. I mean to make people long for the days when the stupid poo poo the president did was forget to take off the protective caps of binoculars or mispronounce nuclear is really saying something.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why don't black people and white women share the wealth with white men? This is what the election really hinges on imo

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

skylined! posted:

What does this look like? Who impeaches?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

skylined! posted:

That hope you're sipping on is actually poison, be careful

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Deified Data posted:

KFC

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Elotana posted:

I can't imagine a bigger indictment of DCCC than SC-5 turning out closer than GA-6

It makes me wonder if the level of spending backfired by nationalizing the election. It made sense in some ways but I could see that having happened.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Deified Data posted:

The clot in his heart, I'm guessing.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Quorum posted:

This is stupid, the Dems lost one election, and are still massively favored to win future presidential elections thanks to demographic factors. Stop becoming a depressed suicidal poo poo thanks to one election.

My post had nothing at all to do with presidential elections, which aren't really the deciding factor for what's going to happen to the future of the party.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Easily our best chance.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
three outs for trump before 2018, all with equal weight

assassination
health decline forcing resignation/death
impeachment based on mueller investigation

the rapid acceleration toward any of these three things did not just loving stop because a democrat just failed to win a house seat in a special election in suburban Erich white Georgia

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Gorelab posted:

It makes me wonder if the level of spending backfired by nationalizing the election. It made sense in some ways but I could see that having happened.
I definitely think that in an alternate universe where the Dems just spent 1/4 of the GA-06 money on each of the special elections, one of them would've come up blue

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Trump will survive his four year term but will lose in 2020 to [Slightly Left but still Centrist Democrat]
The House will flip in 2018 but the Dems will gain in the Senate but will still fall short.
Not having the votes to remove Trump from office the Dems in the House will spend the last two years of Trump's term holding special hearings to investigate Trump and his staff.
McCain will be troubled.
The pee tapes will never be revealed.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
To those of your hating on Pelosi: The GOP is going to demonize anyone who is the leader of the party. It's Pelosi's turn because Hillary and Obummer aren't around anymore. Dumping Pelosi wouldn't have done poo poo because they'd just be calling the next person a dirty commie.

But really, lol at running a guy who didn't live in his district.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Apparently not if multiple people in this thread went to the hospital and had psychotic breaks on November 6th.

I'm all about obsessing over political minutae and caring too much, but a comedy forum discussing politics 24/7 is probably the last place you should be (the royal you).

Get some exercise, eat right, get your mental state in a good place, and get ready to vote in a year and a half.

Jokes on you, I've had major depression since long before Trump got elected

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

I already don't care about Ussef or whoever in Nashville-69

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Petr posted:

My post had nothing at all to do with presidential elections, which aren't really the deciding factor for what's going to happen to the future of the party.

The loss here was purely due to gerrymandering, which we have two separate chances to kill: SCOTUS and the 2020 state level legislative election. As they happen to coincide with a year which, even if Trump somehow survived and is re elected, will not be terribly kind to his party's control of legislative bodies, that's a good thing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

gently caress I hope not. Imagine the narrative of Pence taking office and "restoring sanity". I like our fat dumb president just where he is until someone who's not a republican takes his place.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Elotana posted:

I definitely think that in an alternate universe where the Dems just spent 1/4 of the GA-06 money on each of the special elections, one of them would've come up blue

Lol god drat DNC spending both too much and not enough money! :argh:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Trump will survive his four year term but will lose in 2020 to [Slightly Left but still Centrist Democrat]
The House will flip in 2018 but the Dems will gain in the Senate but will still fall short.
Not having the votes to remove Trump from office the Dems in the House will spend the last two years of Trump's term holding special hearings to investigate Trump and his staff.
McCain will be troubled.

Most likely, yes. Trump's bad policies will not be entirely undone but whatever good policies the Democrat passes will be spitefully erased by President Spencer.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Quorum posted:

The loss here was purely due to gerrymandering, which we have two separate chances to kill: SCOTUS and the 2020 state level legislative election. As they happen to coincide with a year which, even if Trump somehow survived and is re elected, will not be terribly kind to his party's control of legislative bodies, that's a good thing.

Democrats have lost more than 1000 legislative seats since 2008. That's not just gerrymandering.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Like I think the SC race not getting any made sense on the face of it going in with what you knew at the time. I just think that the amount that went in to GA-06 basically got Republican voters who'd have stayed home normally out and there are more of them in that district that Democratic voters by a decent margin.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mantis42 posted:

Most likely, yes. Trump's bad policies will not be entirely undone but whatever good policies the Democrat passes will be spitefully erased by President Spencer.

Don't forget that, having learned all the wrong lessons from the 2016 primary, the dems will be running mark Zuckerberg in 2020. GG.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

This is too optimistic, based upon the Bush II -> Trump projected trajectory.

Petr posted:

Democrats have lost more than 1000 legislative seats since 2008. That's not just gerrymandering.

I'm afraid you're going to have to cite that, considering the elections since 2008 were a wave year (2010) that defined the redistricting that every other election has used, and since then Dems have won more or less every other generic ballot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"We can get suburban Republicans to flip and just run on being Not-Trumpists" is exactly the strategy that caused Hillary to blow the easiest shoe-in humanly loving imaginable, so it's no real shocker that it worked so well for Ossoff here.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

take that back you monster

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

McCain will be troubled.

If the Democrats gain in the Senate 2018, it will be through pickups in Nevarda, Arizona, Texas, or South Carolina. :getin:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

skylined! posted:

three outs for trump before 2018, all with equal weight

assassination
health decline forcing resignation/death
impeachment based on mueller investigation

the rapid acceleration toward any of these three things did not just loving stop because a democrat just failed to win a house seat in a special election in suburban Erich white Georgia

Neat, so after Trump dies/leaves we get super creepy Christian guy who calls his wife "mother" and probably thinks The Handmaid's Tale has a "few good ideas" as President.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Lote posted:

If the Democrats gain in the Senate 2018, it will be through pickups in Nevarda, Arizona, Texas, or South Carolina. :getin:

Here's my hot take: the house will flip in 2018, the Senate in 2020. Expecting the Senate in 2018 is an exercise in futility the likes of which will keep this thread going for ages.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The House will not flip if the Democrats run John Ossoffs everywhere.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Lote posted:

South Carolina?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Arglebargle III posted:

Lol god drat DNC spending both too much and not enough money! :argh:
Yes lol at the concept of not putting your eggs in one basket

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

South Carolina?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prNM4QxF8E

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

dont even fink about it posted:

The House will not flip if the Democrats run John Ossoffs everywhere.

A statement as obvious as the opposite. The Republicans have Flakes and Cruzes, but all are reliable on key votes. This is the only way forward for us also, even if makes governing harder than it ought to be (since it renders governing possible at all).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lote posted:

I am unironically going to do some work to fight the Ooze in Texas, but my hopes are modest.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Quorum posted:

I'm afraid you're going to have to cite that, considering the elections since 2008 were a wave year (2010) that defined the redistricting that every other election has used, and since then Dems have won more or less every other generic ballot.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/jan/25/cokie-roberts/have-democrats-lost-900-seats-state-legislatures-o/
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/306736-dems-hit-new-low-in-state-legislatures
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/barack-obama-won-the-white-house-but-democrats-lost-the-country/

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Whoa, Illuminati confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/877362291267715073
https://twitter.com/natemcdermott/status/877246605690273792