Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So had a bit of an experience today with Verizon. I'm on my folks plan and when my Dad called today to drop our data from 10gb down to 8gb. No big deal until the end of the call when the rep stated that my unlocked s8+ I bought through Samsung will no longer work on the account and to have a nice day.

So I go to the local Verizon store and they tell me that not only can they not put my S8+ back on the plan, they have no idea how it was added in the first place. I activated it in store with a brand new SIM provided by Verizon so it's a pretty big loving mystery. The rep told me that the approved unlocked devices was the flavors of pixel and iPhone 5 - 6 series. This culminated in me taking my business to T-Mobile because they'd let me use my phone. It's not a huge deal because I was going to change providers when I move to Lafayette area and when I spent a month down there my Verizon service was just terrible with my old phone, but I was wondering if anyone also has the unlocked S8 phones or IPhones 7 and if they have experienced anything similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Moochewmoo posted:

So had a bit of an experience today with Verizon. I'm on my folks plan and when my Dad called today to drop our data from 10gb down to 8gb. No big deal until the end of the call when the rep stated that my unlocked s8+ I bought through Samsung will no longer work on the account and to have a nice day.

So I go to the local Verizon store and they tell me that not only can they not put my S8+ back on the plan, they have no idea how it was added in the first place. I activated it in store with a brand new SIM provided by Verizon so it's a pretty big loving mystery. The rep told me that the approved unlocked devices was the flavors of pixel and iPhone 5 - 6 series. This culminated in me taking my business to T-Mobile because they'd let me use my phone. It's not a huge deal because I was going to change providers when I move to Lafayette area and when I spent a month down there my Verizon service was just terrible with my old phone, but I was wondering if anyone also has the unlocked S8 phones or IPhones 7 and if they have experienced anything similar.

Well, iPhone 7 is different. The unlocked iPhone 7 legit won't work with Verizon, the Verizon/sprint version will.

Couldn't tell you on the S8+, I haven't run into that yet. Sorry to hear that.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Well last night I looked up on Verizon's website and the unlocked S8+ is approved there. It's a little lovely to state you'll accept a product then deny it in store but such is life. Obviously nothing to be done now but I wanted to ask the professionals around these parts for input I guess.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Moochewmoo posted:

Well last night I looked up on Verizon's website and the unlocked S8+ is approved there. It's a little lovely to state you'll accept a product then deny it in store but such is life. Obviously nothing to be done now but I wanted to ask the professionals around these parts for input I guess.

Well, it's two different things:
1. If they tried to activate it, and it didn't work, then that's a network / tech issue, it's possible it then just couldn't be setup in store.

2. If they just refused to activate it and were assholes, well that's lovely. It's not that hard to swap a SIM.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So 2 years ago I had the option of several plans and chose to get a phone subsidy + normal plan. I'm now eligible for an upgrade and whatnot, and I"m on a family plan with some other family members, both of whom did the installment plan for phones and got $25/mo off their line access fee. How can I knock that $25 off my $40? I don't really need to upgrade but would even buy a phone and return it if I need to.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, it's two different things:
1. If they tried to activate it, and it didn't work, then that's a network / tech issue, it's possible it then just couldn't be setup in store.

2. If they just refused to activate it and were assholes, well that's lovely. It's not that hard to swap a SIM.

I just don't know. The phone had been activated from May 30th to June 18th. Dropping the data then somehow removed the unlocked S8+ and every single person we spoke with said they don't understand how it worked in the first place. I went from a Note 3 to a S8+ so it was literally a brand new SIM card activated in the phone. I watched the rep take it out of the card thing it comes in. I spoke with a phone rep, a sales associate, and the door check in dude. They said as if June 14th they only devices you could take into the network were IPhones 5 and 6 the pixel line, and some others like LG I think.

I guess I don't understand why lowering the data limit caused them to drop my phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

So 2 years ago I had the option of several plans and chose to get a phone subsidy + normal plan. I'm now eligible for an upgrade and whatnot, and I"m on a family plan with some other family members, both of whom did the installment plan for phones and got $25/mo off their line access fee. How can I knock that $25 off my $40? I don't really need to upgrade but would even buy a phone and return it if I need to.

Post what plan you have. Very likely you can get the $25 off by calling care and requisite it, no phone purchase needed.

All new plans going forward auto give the discount (its $20 off on the new plans instead of $25). So once you get whatever discount, you got it going forward.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Post what plan you have. Very likely you can get the $25 off by calling care and requisite it, no phone purchase needed.

All new plans going forward auto give the discount (its $20 off on the new plans instead of $25). So once you get whatever discount, you got it going forward.

The 10GB for 80/mo plan, shared with two other lines. So I should just call and ask? Sounds like I should've done this a few months ago.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

The 10GB for 80/mo plan, shared with two other lines. So I should just call and ask? Sounds like I should've done this a few months ago.

Yes, def call and ask and they should be able to move it right down.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, def call and ask and they should be able to move it right down.

they refused and claimed it only works with a device. I asked about my wife's that the payment plan ends on in two months and they claimed hers would go back up to 40/mo. which I know is wrong because my mom's device is paid off and kept the discount

I don't believe them for a second and am going to keep calling in but man that's annoying

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

they refused and claimed it only works with a device. I asked about my wife's that the payment plan ends on in two months and they claimed hers would go back up to 40/mo. which I know is wrong because my mom's device is paid off and kept the discount

I don't believe them for a second and am going to keep calling in but man that's annoying

If they don't fix it by tomorrow let me know and I'll see how else to get it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

If they don't fix it by tomorrow let me know and I'll see how else to get it.

2nd try : they tried to sell me on a 16gb plan instead because apparently line access is $20/mo on the new plans? What a mess.

I'll pm you tomorrow if you're up for helping , thanks a bunch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

2nd try : they tried to sell me on a 16gb plan instead because apparently line access is $20/mo on the new plans? What a mess.

I'll pm you tomorrow if you're up for helping , thanks a bunch.

Yeah, PM me name and cell tomorrow, I'll fix it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, PM me name and cell tomorrow, I'll fix it.

fyi everyone duckman2008 is the raddest dude ever

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

fyi everyone duckman2008 is the raddest dude ever

This is true.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If I pickup a jetpack hotspot of some sort, will it work with my current sim card that's tied to an old age unlimited plan? Or does it still specifically need some sort of hotspot flag on the account to work?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

If I pickup a jetpack hotspot of some sort, will it work with my current sim card that's tied to an old age unlimited plan? Or does it still specifically need some sort of hotspot flag on the account to work?

Yeah that'll likely change your plan so I wouldn't roll the dice. This is something I see like, ever at this point, but I would put money the system would provision it to a jet pack oriented plan.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Meh why don't you try it and live a little? I have a jetpack that I did that with an unlimited sim card a few years ago. But it was provided as a Verizon vendor...they still haven't shut that fucker off

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Would I be able to wipe this verizon pixel completely, sell it, and keep making my monthly device payments on it but transfer my SIM to a different phone? I'm supposed to get an iPhone for work and was thinking of the best way to do this.

Oh. Apparently, yes I can.

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 7, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
If you happened to call Verizon (billing or technical stuff or just automated line) in he past six months:

CHANGE YOUR PLAN PINS NOW SERIOUSLY DO IT NOW

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU STILL READING THIS? GO AND CHANGE YOUR PIN YOU STUPID IDIOT!

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 13, 2017

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
For anyone who wonders why, here's why: http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/12/technology/verizon-data-leaked-online/index.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Thanks for the heads up - changed my VZW and FiOS PINs.

To save people from having to hunt around: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/account-pin-faqs/

And for FiOS, the PIN change option is found on the "Profile" tab on your My Verizon page under "Security."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 13, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Thanks for the heads up - changed my VZW and FiOS PINs.

To save people from having to hunt around: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/account-pin-faqs/

And for FiOS, the PIN change option is found on the "Profile" tab on your My Verizon page under "Security."

drat, I picked a good day to be off work.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Since this seems like the defacto verizon thread, are there any "hidden" deals on FIOS double/triple plays?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Since this seems like the defacto verizon thread, are there any "hidden" deals on FIOS double/triple plays?

Couldn't tell you. I don't think anyone here sells Fios. I'm not in a Fios area anymore; and even then Verizon phone reps don't do anything with Fios anyway.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Hey Duckman, or any other VZW employee:

My girlfriend's waiting on her third warranty replacement refurbed Pixel to come in the mail. First two phones lost all earphone/mic capability, which is apparently a known issue, and the third phone has a busted proximity sensor. In the (I had assumed) unlikely event that this new replacement has some serious issue, do you know if there's an escalation procedure to get a brand new phone instead of a poorly-checked refurb? Or any other tactic we could try? It's getting a bit frustrating at this point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Hey Duckman, or any other VZW employee:

My girlfriend's waiting on her third warranty replacement refurbed Pixel to come in the mail. First two phones lost all earphone/mic capability, which is apparently a known issue, and the third phone has a busted proximity sensor. In the (I had assumed) unlikely event that this new replacement has some serious issue, do you know if there's an escalation procedure to get a brand new phone instead of a poorly-checked refurb? Or any other tactic we could try? It's getting a bit frustrating at this point.

Yeah, I've seen that issue keep happening. Honestly, I don't have a fix. I would call and ask for retentions , getting raised up the chain to someone with actual power or credits is both a bit of a hassle, but also likely your only option.

No lie, I had warranty offer a customer to switch from a Pixel to a Droid Maxx 1. And the customer took it. One of the worst things I've seen in a while. So if warranty can do something great, but I haven't seen them be able to.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I've seen that issue keep happening. Honestly, I don't have a fix. I would call and ask for retentions , getting raised up the chain to someone with actual power or credits is both a bit of a hassle, but also likely your only option.

No lie, I had warranty offer a customer to switch from a Pixel to a Droid Maxx 1. And the customer took it. One of the worst things I've seen in a while. So if warranty can do something great, but I haven't seen them be able to.

Yeah, back when I was requesting the second replacement, the store rep told me that they'd potentially be able to switch us to a different phone model if this keeps happening, which seems like a super bad deal.

Thanks for the advice! Pretty lovely experience overall, but it's good to know there's not much more I can be doing at this point.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Yeah, back when I was requesting the second replacement, the store rep told me that they'd potentially be able to switch us to a different phone model if this keeps happening, which seems like a super bad deal.

Thanks for the advice! Pretty lovely experience overall, but it's good to know there's not much more I can be doing at this point.

So just an update on this: Verizon sent the third replacement, which failed yesterday with the same audio issue (lol). I went on Google chat this morning and they're sending a replacement device directly. Downside is they can only send it out after we ship the defective one back.

Gotta find someone with a loaner now.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I'm tempted to grab a Pixel on sale from Google's store - Am I likely to have any trouble from Verizon activating this thing?

And as a second question, do I even need to have them do it anymore if I already have a phone with a nano sim? Or can I just pop that thing in and somehow do it myself?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just pop it in. Works right away.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/08/verizon-to-start-throttling-all-smartphone-videos-to-480p-or-720p/

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

That article doesn't mention that go unlimited users are throttled at all times, not just after 22gb

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/8/22/16181362/verizon-new-unlimited-data-plan-video-throttling-net-neutrality

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I was planning on switching to unlimited when the next note comes out...I guess it might be better to jump on the regular unlimited plan before it goes away tomorrow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The $75 plan's tethering is limited to 600kbps, always.

Why loving bother?

This has got to be one of Verizon's most anti-customer moves ever and I'm half tempted to switch carriers out or principal even though I can (mostly) keep what I have now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 22, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this blows. Btw, take a look at the terms of service for the new Verizon rewards program.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pretty sure that’s been the TOS for Selects since it came out in 2014. Up just happens to require Selects.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I flat out ignore the rewards program and you would never get me subscribing to it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ugh, this affects non-unlimited customers too. My bandwidth is metered already, what's the point?

quote:

If you're already a Verizon customer, your video resolution will be reduced to 720p on phones and 1080p on tablets whether you have a limited or unlimited data plan. Customers who purchase any Verizon limited plan in the future will see the same restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Ugh, this affects non-unlimited customers too. My bandwidth is metered already, what's the point?

To upsell you to unlimited? That's why they got rid of the larger data buckets, to get people to move to Unlimited. I would gladly switch back to my 20GB bucket to save some cash on my 4 line account today, but alas, it's no longer available.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't realize the video throttling hits unlimited too. Still, they obviously got rid of the larger buckets to upsell.

• Locked thread