Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No it doesn't don't be stupid.

Also, yeah, people complaining about dc being grimdark are gonna love joker nuking a preggo Lois and Superman becomes an evil overlord.

the comic is pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No it doesn't don't be stupid.

Also, yeah, people complaining about dc being grimdark are gonna love joker nuking a preggo Lois and Superman becomes an evil overlord.

It doesn't? The faces in Injustice 2 look a lot better than the CGI bad guy in Rogue One, aka number 20 in the top grossing films of all time. The Injustice crew needs to be given a lot more credit imo

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 20, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It doesn't? The faces in Injustice 2 look a lot better than the CGI bad guy in Rogue One.

Not sure I agree:

Not that this is the most fair comparison* or that you aren't right that the Injustice animators don't deserve a ton of credit. But realistically the animators from RO did a stellar job and had a bigger budget and a limited number of scenes to get lighting and other considerations right. There is just no actual comparison on an objective level which is consistently (this is a key consideration) higher quality.

*(this is an image from last year and the release quality is almost certainly better as well, but none of the other images I could find were anywhere near Tarkin quality, feel free to contradict me tho I admittedly don't play the game)

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 20, 2017

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

It doesn't? The faces in Injustice 2 look a lot better than the CGI bad guy in Rogue One, aka number 20 in the top grossing films of all time. The Injustice crew needs to be given a lot more credit imo

I love both Injustices and I'm almost done with Year 3 of the comic but this is crazy. I've talked to real people who didn't realize Tarkin was CG, if that's who you're talking about.

Everyone should still play Injustice 2. Braniac stories own.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

my face when the planet dies

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Anyone have any idea what this new "digital face painting" tech they are describing is like?

I'm assuming something similar to how they projected young MIchael Douglas onto old Michael Douglas or RDJ, but that isn't "new."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Brother Entropy posted:

although you could've said the same about 'strong alcoholic detective' and JJ didn't really end up that way

JJ's a strong alcoholic detective but the show was anything but a procedural because a little way into the first case we see her take she finds out it was set up by David Tennant to gently caress with her and that occupies the entire series.

Injustice 2 has basically the best face animation I've ever seen in a video game, but it's still not as good as Grand Mock-Tarkin. There's still enough "this is a video game" going on in Injustice 2 regarding characters' hair/etc. that hold it back a bit, but the face tech is indeed awesome.

I saw Rogue One in 2D (I know some said in 3D the effect stands out more) and the only time it really broke for me was at some points where his rank insignia stuff was just a little TOO shiny and plastic and it made his uniform stand out as fake compared to the great face work.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 20, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dragonshirt posted:

I love both Injustices and I'm almost done with Year 3 of the comic but this is crazy. I've talked to real people who didn't realize Tarkin was CG, if that's who you're talking about.

Is this like one of those things where someone claims they can't tell the difference between SD and HD? Or maybe it looks better on DVD or something? I saw it in theaters and it was really noticeable to me. I'm not trying to say that I'm right and you're wrong, I'm just relaying my personal experience. Also for everyone posting screens of Injustice 2 faces, it really needs to be seen in motion to get the full effect. And yes, some scenes are worse than others. But some of them look straight up real

edit: Oh yeah that reminds me, a lot of people saw the Injustice 2 commercial on TV and actually thought it was live action. So I think the takwaway here is that many people are blind

SleepCousinDeath posted:

the comic is pretty fun

gently caress yes. The comic is really really good. I've only read up to year two though. I can say with certainty that its way way better than Flashpoint.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 20, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CGI Superman in BvS can come across worse than CGI Superman in Injustice 2 because CGI Henry Cavill shares a movie with actual photography of Henry Cavill, which both creates a clearer contrast and restricts the style Superman can be rendered in. Injustice 2 covers for the limits of its CGI by being a little cartoony, which is a smart choice for a videogame, but makes it kinda silly to say that it's "better CGI" than the movies have. Put one of those figures acting against a human and it would look just awful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

I frankly still can't believe a Blade Netflix series isn't already in development. Iron Fist was loving embarrassing and they don't seem to have anything up right now beyond Daredevil S3 and The Defenders.

They were looking at doing a Ghost Rider show until Agents of SHIELD took the character. Punisher comes out in October, Jessica Jones S2 began shooting as soon as The Defenders wrapped a few months ago, and Luke Cage S2 started filming last week. Feige said late last year they want to do something with Blade, so I'd think a Netflix show isn't out of the question.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Feige has said that they want to do something with Blade since they just recently got the rights back, but that nothing is happening with Blade until at least 2019.

Wesley Snipes said he's had at least two meetings with Marvel in the last two years to talk about it.

The rumor is that they were going to do a Netflix show that apes the format of the newer Blade comics where Blade is the mentor figure and his daughter is the slayer.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Is this like one of those things where someone claims they can't tell the difference between SD and HD? Or maybe it looks better on DVD or something? I saw it in theaters and it was really noticeable to me. I'm not trying to say that I'm right and you're wrong, I'm just relaying my personal experience. Also for everyone posting screens of Injustice 2 faces, it really needs to be seen in motion to get the full effect. And yes, some scenes are worse than others. But some of them look straight up real

You should really back this up with some comparison shots or something. Who in the world can't tell the difference between SD and HD? lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dragonshirt posted:

You should really back this up with some comparison shots or something. Who in the world can't tell the difference between SD and HD? lol

Baby boomers, who also can't detect motion smoothing

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Baby boomers, who also can't detect motion smoothing

I would say they can tell, they just don't give a poo poo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dragonshirt posted:

A certain category of stubborn old people.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I also have to wonder how people who didn't liked Flash' appearance on BvS would react to a story on which characters show up once for the obligatory fight and then vanish into the background with no real relevance or impact on the larger plot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm also annoyed that his name does not reflect his powers or origin. It's just a word that sounds cool.

Who was it that pointed out that superhero names unnecessarily give away what their powers are and possibly how to defeat them? I remember Invincible ragging on Spider-Man's name but I'm not sure that's what I'm thinking of.

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know where the all caps clap every other word came from but it's incredibly annoying.

It helps if you imagine the hands making a squeezy fart noise.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Lobok posted:

Who was it that pointed out that superhero names unnecessarily give away what their powers are and possibly how to defeat them? I remember Invincible ragging on Spider-Man's name but I'm not sure that's what I'm thinking of.

So the key to defeat Spiderman is brooms and rolled up magazines?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Injustice's story is serviceable at best, but it does have the new Blue Beetle and Doctor Fate and those guys are great.

They should do a Blue Beetle movie, it's like The Guyver for kids.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Injustice's story is serviceable at best, but it does have the new Blue Beetle and Doctor Fate and those guys are great.

They should do a Blue Beetle movie, it's like The Guyver for kids.

I still think of Jaime as the new Blue Beetle too, but he's been a character for over a decade now.

But yeah, give me a movie Blue Beetle. Do a trilogy focusing on each one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Detective No. 27 posted:

I still think of Jaime as the new Blue Beetle too, but he's been a character for over a decade now.

But yeah, give me a movie Blue Beetle. Do a trilogy focusing on each one.

Maybe something like Animatrix

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should have stealth cast someone as Booster Gold and hid him in the background during Wonder Woman and BvS scenes, and continue doing that in future DDCU films.

You figure they would have fast tracked Blue and Gold or Plastic Man after Deadpool did gangbusters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Black Bones posted:

So the key to defeat Spiderman is brooms and rolled up magazines?

Newspaper Spider-Man? Yes.

The thing about names giving away info was not that scene in particular. Invincible was ragging on Spider-Man's​ name for being a lazy choice.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lobok posted:

Newspaper Spider-Man? Yes.

The thing about names giving away info was not that scene in particular. Invincible was ragging on Spider-Man's​ name for being a lazy choice.

That was such a great crossover.

He even had the same issue with Batman.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Seeing Wolverine there reminds me that Hugh Jackman did not know that wolverines are real animals until his first day on the set of the first X-Men movie.

Fabio-Man's weakness are birds.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Just pointing out that Injustice 2 the video game has better CGI than any big budget Marvel/DC movie. And also better characters, better storylines, better everything honestly. If you haven't, I strongly urge you to watch a youtube compilation of all the cutscenes in the Injustice games. I can 100% guarantee that it will be better than whatever the Justice League movie will turn out to be.

Just want to say that I 100% agree with SnakesSolidBanana. The big budget Marvel/DC movies look like a cut scene from Crash Bandicunt on PS1.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

UmOk posted:

Just want to say that I 100% agree with SnakesSolidBanana. The big budget Marvel/DC movies look like a cut scene from Crash Bandicunt on PS1.

As long as we agree the new FIFA has better CG than anything ILM is putting out in the next year

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lord & Miller left the Han Solo movie so I hope they can do The Flash again.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

The MSJ posted:

Lord & Miller left the Han Solo movie so I hope they can do The Flash again.

:same:, but lol, how bad is this stupid Han Solo movie that the directors peace out halfway through filming?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Equeen posted:

:same:, but lol, how bad is this stupid Han Solo movie that the directors peace out halfway through filming?

Apparently there's only three weeks of shooting left.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lord and Miller maybe realized the guy who they cast as Han is terrible from the all the dailies and there's nothing salvageable from his performance.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

LesterGroans posted:

Apparently there's only three weeks of shooting left.

:psyduck: why now? why so late into production?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Shageletic posted:

Your politics are swamping over your cultural taste. I've seen better argued railing against "politically liberal" media at r/donald.

So what great identity politics pandering movie am I missing out on?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

teagone posted:

Lord and Miller maybe realized the guy who they cast as Han is terrible from the all the dailies and there's nothing salvageable from his performance.

Uh, he's amazing so I really doubt that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GonSmithe posted:

Uh, he's amazing so I really doubt that.

I wasn't being serious, and there's no way that was the reason why Lord and Miller walked. That said, I've only seen Alden in Beautiful Creatures, and I thought he was pretty bad in that so :shrug:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

teagone posted:

I wasn't being serious, and there's no way that was the reason why Lord and Miller walked. That said, I've only seen Alden in Beautiful Creatures, and I thought he was pretty bad in that so :shrug:

Watch Hail, Caesar!, where he somehow steals the show from almost everyone else in it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw Rogue One in 2D (I know some said in 3D the effect stands out more) and the only time it really broke for me was at some points where his rank insignia stuff was just a little TOO shiny and plastic and it made his uniform stand out as fake compared to the great face work.

What made tarkin stand out to me was his voice. I mean, it's Peter Cushing. He's got a pretty famous, distinctive voice, even just restricted to the Star Wars films, and he sounded nothing alike. Which is weird, since there's probably enough recordings of Cushing from the 131 films he made to just make his dialogue out of old snippets.

GonSmithe posted:

Watch Hail, Caesar!, where he somehow steals the show from almost everyone else in it.

Second.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe Lord and Miller are not cut out for directing big blockbuster action movies? I mean, Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street are great, but they were basically given free reign to do whatever the gently caress they wanted in both instances, they probably are just the kind of guys who naturally bristle against that level of control.

Maybe they should stick to animated movies, comedies, and sitcoms.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe Lord and Miller are not cut out for directing big blockbuster action movies? I mean, Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street are great, but they were basically given free reign to do whatever the gently caress they wanted in both instances, they probably are just the kind of guys who naturally bristle against that level of control.

I dunno, who would have guessed one of the directors on The Simpsons would be directing a Mission Impossible movie?

I reeeeally hope they go back to The Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Well, up until this point, Kennedy and other people involved in the Star Wars movies have claimed that there's no studio interference at all in their writers and directors. It was either Rian Johnson or the Rogue One writers who claimed they asked for more studio involvement because they were supposedly given so much leeway.

• Locked thread