Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

nuru posted:

I'm curious if some dialog I saw in the MSQ was because I cleared Bahamut in 2.x, or if everyone sees that.
I suspect it's completion-triggered like the Alisaie stuff in 3.5 just because it makes little sense otherwise, if it's the line I'm thinking of.

Specifically this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

nuru posted:

I'm curious if some dialog I saw in the MSQ was because I cleared Bahamut in 2.x, or if everyone sees that.

I never cleared Coil, but if it's the line I'm thinking of, it still sounded like it was implied I took down Bahamut.

Edit: I was a bit confused by the line, and thought maybe it was supposed to be implying the stuff that happened at the end of 1.0? I'd need to re-check it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Are the stormblood beast tribes in?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The first new fisher quest has a line change based on the Sahagin beast tribe, probably

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

https://twitter.com/FFXIV_NEWS_EN/status/877400794500177920

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hooray, FFXIV is popular enough to eat a DDoS :woop:

Wonder if it's someone mad at Pink Peanut :v:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
OK, ISIS, that's the last straw!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Falcon mount looks to be pretty good. I'm sure we're all getting it purely because we were going to be subbed for the duration anyways.

Deets: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/mount_campaign_2017/

We did it, guys! FFXIV is finally popular enough to be targetted with DDOSes!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The underwater parts of Othgard feel weirdly empty of fish aside from the spearfishing nodes. If you go into the underwater settlements you can see fish schools moving around but when you're out in the wild swimming the ocean is essentially a sterilized pool.

Cataclysm's Vashj'ir had a ton of fish and marine life swimming around, with the occasional shark and giant whale. I'm disappointed that FF14 doesn't have an equal amount of ocean fauna or even an Emerald Weapon to suddenly loom up on you out of the depths to make you jump in your seat.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So turns out I have an extra Fantasia left over from my last subscription run, so I guess I can say goodbye to this Au Ra after maintenance is over. :allears:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm really impressed with how good this game looks on the PS4, and the ability to plug in a mouse and keyboard and play it just like the PC version, while being able to switch to the gamepad instantly without having to do anything.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Asimo posted:

I suspect it's completion-triggered like the Alisaie stuff in 3.5 just because it makes little sense otherwise, if it's the line I'm thinking of.

Specifically this one.

Nah I saw this and I haven't touched coils

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

Squenix will never make a sequel to that. :negative:

A sequel to what exactly?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

SKULL.GIF posted:

The underwater parts of Othgard feel weirdly empty of fish aside from the spearfishing nodes. If you go into the underwater settlements you can see fish schools moving around but when you're out in the wild swimming the ocean is essentially a sterilized pool.

Cataclysm's Vashj'ir had a ton of fish and marine life swimming around, with the occasional shark and giant whale. I'm disappointed that FF14 doesn't have an equal amount of ocean fauna or even an Emerald Weapon to suddenly loom up on you out of the depths to make you jump in your seat.

That would blow my goddamn mind. I remember getting out of that plane in FF7 as a kid and having him be RIGHT loving THERE OH GOD OH NO OH SWEET JESUS

Even now when I hear the underwater music from that game it inexplicably gets me antsy.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Asimo posted:

Specifically this one.

I never finishedFinal Coil and got that line too. They probably decided to go, "ok you might not have actually fought Bahamut, but as far as the story is concerned you did" since despite being optional that's kind of a major thing to leave as never being mentioned as or only being minor references. Or to leave as a plothole as to why Allisaie and Alphinaud aren't constantly begging you to please go back and finish the last couple Turns before he's restored and the world ends.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I just popped into this thread but I'm gonna guess Final Fantasy. They never make sequels to Final Fantasy.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

The two lines posted in this thread from that NPC are a reference to Sleeping Dogs

A series that SE brutally murdered and I'm still mad about it :mad:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have definitely seen schools of fish and the occasional shark while swimming around in the Ruby Sea, but they sure could put more pretty things under the sea.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ChocNitty posted:

I'm really impressed with how good this game looks on the PS4, and the ability to plug in a mouse and keyboard and play it just like the PC version, while being able to switch to the gamepad instantly without having to do anything.

Well, the secret is, , the PS4 is basically a PC and so the PS4 client is extremely similar to the PC client and can use all the same resources. :ssh:

I think if you plug a mouse in you can even just straight up play it KB/M style.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Shy posted:

Nah I saw this and I haven't touched coils

Gruckles posted:

I never finishedFinal Coil and got that line too. They probably decided to go, "ok you might not have actually fought Bahamut, but as far as the story is concerned you did" since despite being optional that's kind of a major thing to leave as never being mentioned as or only being minor references. Or to leave as a plothole as to why Allisaie and Alphinaud aren't constantly begging you to please go back and finish the last couple Turns before he's restored and the world ends.
Aww. That's kinda sad, considering they included quest-specific details in the plot before. Definitely a fun line if you have beaten Coils though!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Xun posted:

Are the stormblood beast tribes in?

Kind of. We're obviously getting a BlueGreen Kojin rep, I haven't seen an Ananta place yet but I bet there is one, and there's also a place that is otherwise under-utilized (the old manor where you ambush Zenos) that feels suspiciously like it's been set up to be a Namazu hub. We'll have to see.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

nuru posted:

ruta posted:

I never cleared Coil, but if it's the line I'm thinking of, it still sounded like it was implied I took down Bahamut.

Edit: I was a bit confused by the line, and thought maybe it was supposed to be implying the stuff that happened at the end of 1.0? I'd need to re-check it.

I haven't finished the MSQ (on Lakshmi) but I don't think he was referring to the WoL... Pretty sure he is referring to Omega, the thing the Allagans used to shove Bahamut into that artificial moon in the first place.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I haven't finished the MSQ (on Lakshmi) but I don't think he was referring to the WoL... Pretty sure he is referring to Omega, the thing the Allagans used to shove Bahamut into that artificial moon in the first place.

That... would make a lot of sense. Absolutely no one but Alphinaud, Alisaie, and yourself should even know you fought Bahamut if you did Coils after all.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I finally hit RDM68 and have VerFlare. Surprisingly, I haven't really had balance troubles with it so far. Figured only having one of the two finishers would cause issues.

Also, new gpose is so good. It also works with limit breaks. I need to figure out a way to get the LB3 cast and Gpose it. What criteria lets you use an LB3? Any full 8man party? Even if its open world?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Eopia posted:

That... would make a lot of sense. Absolutely no one but Alphinaud, Alisaie, and yourself should even know you fought Bahamut if you did Coils after all.

Urianger knows as well.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I think lb3 is only available in raids.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I finally hit RDM68 and have VerFlare. Surprisingly, I haven't really had balance troubles with it so far. Figured only having one of the two finishers would cause issues.

Also, new gpose is so good. It also works with limit breaks. I need to figure out a way to get the LB3 cast and Gpose it. What criteria lets you use an LB3? Any full 8man party? Even if its open world?

Gotta be in an eight man against a final boss, unfortunately.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ciaphas posted:

Gotta be in an eight man against a final boss, unfortunately.

drat, I guess I'm just gonna have to hope I get a kill shot with it at some point (and remember to bust out gpose after).

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

drat, I guess I'm just gonna have to hope I get a kill shot with it at some point (and remember to bust out gpose after).

Pretty sure you can pull it off against a lot of the old primals.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Turns out RDM "balance" is mostly an illusion and you can rig things very, very easily to have less Black than White mana to consistently trigger Verflare's proc.

Once you have Verholy then there's basically no point in bothering and you just cast whatever fits your current meter.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also, on the topic of race-related dialogue and such, sadly I haven't seen much just yet as a Lalafell up to Bardam's Test, but that's sort of not surprising because it appears there straight-up are no potatoes native to the Far East. The only tater I've seen besides Tataru is a Thavnairan merchant in Kugane, who provides a sidequest (and proves that there are Lalafell in Thavnair, at least). If there's any references in the jobs, it's likely in Scholar and Black Mage, since those jobs are tied at the hip to Lalafellin history - and even then, I might expect only Plainsfolk to get a reference in SCH, and Dunesfolk in BLM.

Eopia posted:

It would not surprise me at all if the Garleans had at least an inkling of what happened. That small castrum in La Noscea was trying to excavate some Dalamud remains, after all, and once you cleared things out they probably wormed their way down to the former heart chamber.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Verflare's sound, or lack there of, is such a big disappointment after coming from black mage. "True Flare" my rear end.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Speaking of differences in quest text based on race/gender, I did find one bit as a lalafell. During the Doman MSQ, in the questline where you need to disguise yourself as an imperial, you are given three choices of soldiers to strip of their clothing, and choosing the roegadyn as a lalafell gives an amusing response.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

oh
gently caress

it's a motorbike too

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It took a lot of work and gathering a small arsenal of gear, but back when I played FFXI 12 or so years ago, RDM (usually with /NIN subjob) was one of the few classes that could solo things.

You know how enterprising statics will sometimes sell savage drops and carries for people? Back in FFXI I used to make the majority of my cash soloing Avatars (primals basically) for fledgling Summoners so they could get their summons. These weren't outdated fights either.

That's right, FFXI was such a lovely grind fest that SMN was required to do fights requiring a full party (Or mercenary RDM/NIN) just to get job essentials, one such battle for each and every summon.

They patched the summons after not too long at all so that there were two versions of the fight; a party version and a solo version. The solo version was scaled to be do-able solo, but since you had to be a SMN and you had to do them to get the summon themselves, pulling it off with just carbuncle required a RIDICULOUS amount of kiting the boss back and forth on the boss arena. (which was a huge long strip, which facilitated you kiting them back and forth and back and forth) Once you had one of the better summons it wasn't too hard to solo the rest of them.

But yeah, at launch summoners had it REALLY rough, and then it only got slightly easier.

But in return, SMN in XI was loving amazing. You'd have Fenrir or Ifrit chiling with you 24/7. I just can't bring myself to play SMN in XIV when all you get is the tiny little egi dudes. Weak!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Magil Zeal posted:

Speaking of differences in quest text based on race/gender, I did find one bit as a lalafell. During the Doman MSQ, in the questline where you need to disguise yourself as an imperial, you are given three choices of soldiers to strip of their clothing, and choosing the roegadyn as a lalafell gives an amusing response.

Choosing the lalafell as an au ra had a really good response too, though I can't remember what.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

But in return, SMN in XI was loving amazing. You'd have Fenrir or Ifrit chiling with you 24/7. I just can't bring myself to play SMN in XIV when all you get is the tiny little egi dudes. Weak!

Was it though? When I played you were basically a glorified white mage with some cool group buffs that you would summon an avatar for, have them cast, and then unsummon to minimize the MP cost. Accurate to the single player games, sure, but hardly great gameplay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How do you do gpose stuff like limit breaks? Do you just type /gpose right AS you're using the spell or LB or whatever in order to pause it and take a screenshot? That seems wonky.

I figured you'd be able to trigger different animations in /gpose but I can't find a way to do that. Its just lighting and camera movement.... I tried looking up some tutorials but nobody explains poo poo. How does this work? Thanks.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Was it though? When I played you were basically a glorified white mage with some cool group buffs that you would summon an avatar for, have them cast, and then unsummon to minimize the MP cost. Accurate to the single player games, sure, but hardly great gameplay.

IDK I never mained SMN hardcore and that was all a lifetime ago so its hard to remember... but I seem to remember summons chilling out and doing damage the whole time at least some point in the game's lifecycle.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

vOv posted:

Choosing the lalafell as an au ra had a really good response too, though I can't remember what.

I screenshot both the alternative lines as a Roeg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

How do you do gpose stuff like limit breaks? Do you just type /gpose right AS you're using the spell or LB or whatever in order to pause it and take a screenshot? That seems wonky.

I figured you'd be able to trigger different animations in /gpose but I can't find a way to do that. Its just lighting and camera movement.... I tried looking up some tutorials but nobody explains poo poo. How does this work? Thanks.

IDK I never mained SMN hardcore and that was all a lifetime ago so its hard to remember... but I seem to remember summons chilling out and doing damage the whole time at least some point in the game's lifecycle.

I haven't tried gposing abilities but if you or anyone in your party does an emote before you /gpose then it'll repeat on loop.