Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cymoril posted:

The person I was arguing with has shifted the goal posts. First, they were concerned about the London apartment building vs WTC 7. Now it has mutated into the New American Century, the Iraq war and the "convenience" of a Pearl Harbor-esque attack, and how the hi-jackers even pulled it off.

Is it even worth continuing this? They are clearly tumbling head first into the whole conspiracy theory and quite honestly, I got tired of this a decade ago. This is the first time a friend has brought this up in forever and I am surprised since they are otherwise rather intelligent.

Conspiracists are not interested in having an argument, nor even in winning one. They just want people who listen to their bilge so they can feel important, kick him to the curb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm thinking gangstalking meets whatever the hell he thinks is being done with his brainwaves.

"His" brainwaves

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

Tias posted:

Conspiracists are not interested in having an argument, nor even in winning one. They just want people who listen to their bilge so they can feel important, kick him to the curb.

This would be " Thief, Thief"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

El Puerco posted:

"His" brainwaves

apologies if I got your gender wrong

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
Those towers were designed to withstand 2 707 impacts

Looks like the fool I was responding to removed his gay post

El Puerco fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 21, 2017

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

Data Graham posted:

I wanna hear more about this one

In a demolition the supports are removed, significant structural elements are weakened, but more importantly, the oxygen is consumed by the Thermate, Thermite, or C4, instantly. This allows a faster than gravity fall into the foot of the structure which is impossible without controlled demolition.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

El Puerco posted:

* low-speed, low-fuel impacts

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

You are a female divider dumbshit

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

El Puerco posted:

A 707's empty weight is 74 tons and change. A 767's empty weight is 94 tons.

I don't recall the buildings being built to withstand two impacts, but I won't argue the point. But the scenario that was proposed when the 707 was the expected plane was one lost in fog or weather at low speed with low fuel because they would be coming in to land, not a nearly full and much larger plane slamming into them with the throttles wide open.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

QuarkJets posted:

As in, a 707 lost on approach to JFK or LaGuardia that's already burned off most of its fuel en route to New York and is lost in the fog.

The crashes that happened in the September 11th attacks were 767's with a full fuel load due to being configured for a cross country flight out of Boston. Which meant that there was way more fuel was in the planes when they hit than the buildings were designed for.

Not only that, but the hijackers gunned the engines so that the planes would hit the towers at high speed, far faster than the WTC was designed to withstand.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

El Puerco posted:

In a demolition the supports are removed, significant structural elements are weakened, but more importantly, the oxygen is consumed by the Thermate, Thermite, or C4, instantly. This allows a faster than gravity fall into the foot of the structure which is impossible without controlled demolition.

Appx. how much % is a building's fall slowed by oxygen

How come no office workers remarked on the sudden absence of structural supports throughout their floor or the enormous packs of explosives strapped to the elevator shafts in the days leading up to it

listen to yourself

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I know I should know this, but can someone explain the "faster than gravity" stuff? Demolition or not, the building isn't going to fall faster than free fall unless something is propelling it down, which means the alleged demolition explosives would...shoot upward? Or something?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I know I should know this, but can someone explain the "faster than gravity" stuff? Demolition or not, the building isn't going to fall faster than free fall unless something is propelling it down, which means the alleged demolition explosives would...shoot upward? Or something?

it's brain damaged nonsense. the real conspiracy talking point is that the towers fell at free-fall speeds which relies on cartoon physics to imply the non-collapsing structure of the towers should have impeded debris falling from above which is pretty much not how buildings work at all. once any portion of your building starts to move downwards in an uncontrolled way you're going to have a real bad time

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

boner confessor posted:

it's brain damaged nonsense. the real conspiracy talking point is that the towers fell at free-fall speeds which relies on cartoon physics to imply the non-collapsing structure of the towers should have impeded debris falling from above which is pretty much not how buildings work at all. once any portion of your building starts to move downwards in an uncontrolled way you're going to have a real bad time

Ah, ok.

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

A 707's empty weight is 74 tons and change. A 767's empty weight is 94 tons.

I don't recall the buildings being built to withstand two impacts, but I won't argue the point. But the scenario that was proposed when the 707 was the expected plane was one lost in fog or weather at low speed with low fuel because they would be coming in to land, not a nearly full and much larger plane slamming into them with the throttles wide open.

The architect said very clearly that the building was built to withstand 2 impacts. He elaborated by using a pencil and stabbing it through a screen like on a screen door, the pencil just sticking in the mesh, the mesh absorbs the impact, the building stabilizes in several minutes. They made it clear that it is impossible to knock down a metal framed building like a skyscraper.

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

They fell just faster than gravity according to measurements

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

El Puerco posted:

The architect said very clearly that the building was built to withstand 2 impacts. He elaborated by using a pencil and stabbing it through a screen like on a screen door, the pencil just sticking in the mesh, the mesh absorbs the impact, the building stabilizes in several minutes. They made it clear that it is impossible to knock down a metal framed building like a skyscraper.

turns out that guy you met in rehab with meth mouth was not minoru yamasaki no matter how many times he insisted he was

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

boner confessor posted:

It actually has to overcome the inertia as it falls, each floor having its own inertia, this inertia causes the collapse to be slower than gravity, assuming you buy into the idea that a steel skyscraper can collapse at all without demolition

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

El Puerco posted:

It actually has to overcome the inertia as it falls, each floor having its own inertia, this inertia causes the collapse to be slower than gravity

your trolls are so lazy you can't even keep track of when you're saying the building fell faster or slower than gravity. try harder

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

boner confessor posted:

your trolls are so lazy you can't even keep track of when you're saying the building fell faster or slower than gravity. try harder

Your contribution appears to be be Recovery , try again

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

El Puerco posted:

They fell just faster than gravity according to measurements

How?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
El Puerco's posts manage to make even less sense than the "magic...magic..." that gave Freep it's title for a while, and I have to admit, I'm kind of impressed by that.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why would they try harder when you idiots won't stop responding to them?

I don't think you "get" boner confessor.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 21, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

boner confessor posted:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

El Puerco posted:

You are leaving out the difference in mass, speed, and fuel load between the theoretical 707 and the real 767s. Also, no engineer is ever going to say that it's impossible to knock down any building. That's loving ridiculous.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

mocking bad posts isn't the same as biting on trolls

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

El Puerco posted:

Ah, so your assertions are based on a tenuous grasp of physics, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and common sense.

Proceed, governor.

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

You are leaving out the difference in mass, speed, and fuel load between the theoretical 707 and the real 767s. Also, no engineer is ever going to say that it's impossible to knock down any building. That's loving ridiculous.

Wrong again homo

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

Dirk the Average posted:

Ah, so your assertions are based on a tenuous grasp of physics, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and common sense.

Proceed, governor.

No, homo, I live in reality

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

El Puerco posted:

No, homo, I live in reality

Your wit is on par with your understanding of the world.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

El Puerco posted:

Wrong again homo

Would you deign to explain to us why Mister Humorous Legwear is in the wrong on this subject, or are you just tossing out slurs at people and pretending like you've accomplished something?

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

Dirk the Average posted:

Your wit is on par with your understanding of the world.

Hello Home O follow

El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017

SatansOnion posted:

Would you deign to explain to us why Mister Humorous Legwear is in the wrong on this subject, or are you just tossing out slurs at people and pretending like you've accomplished something?

I like telling Home O to gently caress off

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

There's a video on YouTube of a guy like this who just yells about how stupid it is and heats a piece of metal up just to show how much it bends, and then shouts "so shut up!" And the video ends

I know the thread has moved on to ... other things, but here's that video.

I just watched it again, it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzF1KySHmUA

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Data Graham posted:

How come no office workers remarked on the sudden absence of structural supports throughout their floor or the enormous packs of explosives strapped to the elevator shafts in the days leading up to it?

From a quick google for "how many people worked at the world trade centers" I got this from the Guardian:

quote:

Number working in World Trade Centre on average working day prior to 11 September: 50,000.
Average number of daily visitors: 140,000.
Number killed in attack on New York, in the Twin Towers and in aircraft that crashed into them: 2,823.

So you have 50 thousand people who work there every day and - assuming the government managed to prepare the building for collapse in just a week, rather than the months it would normally take - you have just under 1 million people passing through the towers.

But not a single person noticed anything out of the ordinary? Not a single person has ever come forward and said, "Hey, I saw a bunch of MiB removing supports."

I mean there are still 47 thousand people out there who used to work in the towers who are still alive and not one has come forward?

If we even needed any more proof these "controlled demolition" people were deluded idiots it's right here.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

El Puerco posted:

Wrong again homo
Even for a nutjob, you are really bad at this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El Puerco posted:

You are a female divider dumbshit

Mods change my name to "female divider"

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

What did Mitt Romney use to organize his "binders full of women"?

El Puerco posted:

a female divider

:rimshot:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gorilla Salad posted:

From a quick google for "how many people worked at the world trade centers" I got this from the Guardian:

So you have 50 thousand people who work there every day and - assuming the government managed to prepare the building for collapse in just a week, rather than the months it would normally take - you have just under 1 million people passing through the towers.

But not a single person noticed anything out of the ordinary? Not a single person has ever come forward and said, "Hey, I saw a bunch of MiB removing supports."

I mean there are still 47 thousand people out there who used to work in the towers who are still alive and not one has come forward?

If we even needed any more proof these "controlled demolition" people were deluded idiots it's right here.

All 2823 people who died knew! They were chained in the top floor of the WTC when the bombs went off!!!

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

El Puerco posted:

Gravity is an acceleration not a velocity, fuckhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

El Puerco posted:

I like telling Home O to gently caress off

Why must you resort to attacks when people question your ideas?

• Locked thread