Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Stabbatical posted:

I was thinking about the episode and I wasn't really sure what the rules of the monster were. So it ate people and could put some kind of toxic slime on them and lived in the dark. But it and its kind also eat light and will eat all the light in the universe unless they are stopped but also they really hate having light shined on them. Plus it can be stopped in its home dimension by brute force/Roman period weaponry but in our dimension it can kill almost an enitre Roman legion with little issue? Did it even get a name? I can't remember now.

I mean, the episode was fun and I enjoyed it but I'm realising I had no idea of how the antagonist worked or really was.

If I were to hazard a guess, the monster was probably supercharged by our yellow sun. Presumably they're weaker in their home dimension, hence the migration.

So, really looking to next week's episode. Not really much of a fan of Simms' portrayal, but I like him as an actor, and I'm interested in seeing how he plays off Gomez, and the mechanics of a multi-Master story in general. What's really got me excited, though, are the retro-Cybermen designs. To echo what a lot of people have said, modern Cybermen lack much of the visceral medical horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

Well the crows aren't gay

They might be. The gay cawgenda

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Box of Bunnies posted:

They might be. The gay cawgenda

Bloody gay crows. Coming over here. Taking our... crows?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Stabbatical posted:

I was thinking about the episode and I wasn't really sure what the rules of the monster were. So it ate people and could put some kind of toxic slime on them and lived in the dark. But it and its kind also eat light and will eat all the light in the universe unless they are stopped but also they really hate having light shined on them. Plus it can be stopped in its home dimension by brute force/Roman period weaponry but in our dimension it can kill almost an enitre Roman legion with little issue? Did it even get a name? I can't remember now.

I mean, the episode was fun and I enjoyed it but I'm realising I had no idea of how the antagonist worked or really was.

The monster fed on light (the doctor earlier mentions someone's bones have disintegrated from sunlight deprivation, so it's clearly working on "edible energy" rules where that makes sense; this is a common sci fi trope though), and the feeding was stated to make it stronger. Presumably, during the day, it can suck up sunlight, but at night it eats people. It wasn't afraid of sunlight in general, but light reflected through the amber lenses that the doctor identified with some technobabble name (chromatic nullifier, I think?). Presumably in it's home dimension where it can't feed on sunlight it's much weaker.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, he described the light going through the lenses as 'poisoned' for the creature.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Yeah, that all basically works. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to some of the technobabble lines this time. :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nah, they did rattle through it all with some speed. I only know because I watched with subtitles.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Nah, they did rattle through it all with some speed. I only know because I watched with subtitles.

I could never watch this show with subtitles. Half the fun for me as a viewer is having some of what the Doctor says fly right over my head.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I've recently started to believe that bad stories don't have dumb concepts, viewers/readers/etc. are just harder on the concepts in bad stories. Suspension of disbelief, IOW, is mostly about the audience wanting to invest in the story; what makes the story good is more fundamental.

Example: The monks in the 3ish-parter weren't all that much more inconsistent than the light eaters in this episode. But the light eaters were in a much better and better-told story with more interesting characters, so I'll give them a pass and rip all the dumb poo poo about the monks story to shreds.

Maybe this is pretty elementary to anyone but me. Doctor Who is a pretty good place to observe the audience's relationship with outlandishness, though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So Gatiss and Moffat are going to be doing Dracula series for the BBC.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can't wait for everyone on tumblr to think of "Superwholocula"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Calling it now: Dracula will be Alexander Vlahos. Likewise, the official title will probably be "Drac" and he'll be a disaffected millennial who hates his PhD supervisor, Professor Van Helsing. :v:

I love Dracula. I love the novel, I love the movies, I love the character, and there's a whole bunch of spin-offs and remakes and reinterpretations I love as well. I'll be interested to see how this goes. Of course, I love Sherlock Holmes as well and I'm fairly equivocal about Sherlock, so we'll see. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 20, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

Didn't Gatiss do Dracula for Big Finish?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Wheat Loaf posted:

Calling it now: Dracula will be Alexander Vlahos. Likewise, the official title will probably be "Drac" and he'll be a disaffected millennial who hates his PhD supervisor, Professor Van Helsing. :v:

I love Dracula. I love the novel, I love the movies, I love the character, and there's a whole bunch of spin-offs and remakes and reinterpretations I love as well. I'll be interested to see how this goes. Of course, I love Sherlock Holmes as well and I'm fairly equivocal about Sherlock, so we'll see. :shrug:

Sherlock was awful.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

gently caress.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Dabir posted:

Can't wait for everyone on tumblr to think of "Superwholocula"

Sherlock Whocula, surely?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nah there's Supernatural in there too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dabir posted:

Nah there's Supernatural in there too.

Because of course there is.

(I liked Supernatural for a while but there are some fandoms I will never engage with even a little and Supernatural's is at least three of them)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

docbeard posted:

Because of course there is.

(I liked Supernatural for a while but there are some fandoms I will never engage with even a little and Supernatural's is at least three of them)

If it's bad for a fandom to want two brothers to gently caress I don't want to be bad

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

If it's bad for a fandom to want two brothers to gently caress I don't want to be bad

And to want the actors, who are both married IIRC, to gently caress.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dabir posted:

And to want the actors, who are both married IIRC, to gently caress.

Is that worse than in Dexter where two actors who were married IRL, get divorced and then start boning on the show? Also that they are technically brother and sister in the show

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Cojawfee posted:

Is that worse than in Dexter where two actors who were married IRL, get divorced and then start boning on the show? Also that they are technically brother and sister in the show

Just as bad, because all of that is still true of the Supernatural cast and fan demands.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Sherlock was awful.

There were bits of it I enjoyed.

Obviously it's not as good as the Jeremy Brett series from the 1980s, but what is?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

There were bits of it I enjoyed.

Obviously it's not as good as the Jeremy Brett series from the 1980s, but what is?

The BBC radio series starring Clive Merrison.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder how many callbacks to The Tenth Planet we'll see

Or Invasion, or Tomb of the Cybermen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seriously. That was an incredible series.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
I like to think of Sherlock as basically being Jonathan Creek filtered through several layers of dumb. Except most of the time Moffat can't even be bothered showing us how Sherlock's magic brain works through the problem.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Davros1 posted:

The BBC radio series starring Clive Merrison.

Merrison is great in those. 4 extra repeats them every so often and I always try to listen.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I like to think of Sherlock as basically being Jonathan Creek filtered through several layers of dumb. Except most of the time Moffat can't even be bothered showing us how Sherlock's magic brain works through the problem.
Jonathan Creek is pretty scrupulous about being a fair-play mystery (although I haven't seen the last few episodes). As dumb as some solutions end up being you generally have enough info to work things out (especially if you marathon through it and get into the right mindset).

Sherlock stops being a mystery show after a while. Even the actually good episode in season 4 isn't a conventional mystery.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The trouble with Sherlock for me was that Moffat and Gatiss never seemed interested in doing actual mysteries, just the continued Great Game stuff. I count only 3 episodes out of 13 that are more or less standalone.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

And he was ginger as a young'un

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

The trouble with Sherlock for me was that Moffat and Gatiss never seemed interested in doing actual mysteries, just the continued Great Game stuff. I count only 3 episodes out of 13 that are more or less standalone.

Sherlock started off okay - though I feel they made a mistake bringing in Moriarty as soon as they did - the second series is mostly enjoyable, with some very questionable moments, and yeah, too much focus on the Great Game. Series 3 lost me with ninja Mary Watson, and pissing away Lars Mikkelsen. Same for that Christmas special which was an hour-and-a-half explanation that the man who shot himself and died...shot himself and died.

I don't even know what the hell was with Series 4.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pgroce posted:

I've recently started to believe that bad stories don't have dumb concepts, viewers/readers/etc. are just harder on the concepts in bad stories. Suspension of disbelief, IOW, is mostly about the audience wanting to invest in the story; what makes the story good is more fundamental.

Example: The monks in the 3ish-parter weren't all that much more inconsistent than the light eaters in this episode. But the light eaters were in a much better and better-told story with more interesting characters, so I'll give them a pass and rip all the dumb poo poo about the monks story to shreds.

Maybe this is pretty elementary to anyone but me. Doctor Who is a pretty good place to observe the audience's relationship with outlandishness, though.

You're neglecting the fact they needlessly burned two entire episodes just to get to actually facing off with the Monks.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're neglecting the fact they needlessly burned two entire episodes just to get to actually facing off with the Monks.

Extremis was an interesting idea and, I think, basically successful, and there's a really good idea at the core of the monks in Pyramid, even if the episode doesn't quite work. Lie was just a complete wet fart of an ending though. I can't believe it made it through a script that the monks don't even talk in that episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rochallor posted:

Extremis was an interesting idea and, I think, basically successful, and there's a really good idea at the core of the monks in Pyramid, even if the episode doesn't quite work. Lie was just a complete wet fart of an ending though. I can't believe it made it through a script that the monks don't even talk in that episode.

Extremis is almost interesting except that it has no resolution beyond "This doesn't matter and THE MONKS ARE COMING."

Pyramid is an idiotic mess of nonsense and stupid ideas that are strained beyond breaking point to force the ending.

Lie has people dying in large numbers in the six months the Monks rule the planet while The Doctor does nothing for no good reason, and ruins what could've been an decent standalone episode with two prior ones of buildup. Why are Monks here? How have they been here since the dawn of Earth's history? Why is the Doctor working for them?

Doesn't matter, we know all this already.

Also the Monks are a cheap Silence knockoff. They have been with mankind throughout history, control people through subliminal suggestion, and shoot lightning from their fingertips. Sound familiar?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Silence work in secret, have actually been around for all of history, and have a specific goal (that isn't conquering the planet), none of which is true for the Monks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
There wasn't really anything egregiously bad about any of the Monk episodes individually, they were all kinda mediocre. The problem is they didn't string together well, and if you're sticking us with the same villain and overarcing story for an unbroken quarter of the series, it'd better be a fun one. To date, the only three-parter we've had in the new series was the Master three-parter in series 3, and frankly I think John Simm himself is the reason that one worked, you just wanted to see as much of him as possible.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

frankly I think John Simm himself is the reason that one worked, you just wanted to see as much of him as possible.

Not to take away from Simm being a charismatic actor who played a great manic Master against Tennant's similarly energetic Doctor, but "holy poo poo, turns out the Doctor isn't actually the last of the Time Lords like we thought, here's the Master to really gently caress things up" is also a much greater hook justifying three episodes than "these monsters you just met have a further plan we'll maybe elaborate on in the next episode or two" regardless of who was in the role

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cleretic posted:

There wasn't really anything egregiously bad about any of the Monk episodes individually, they were all kinda mediocre. The problem is they didn't string together well, and if you're sticking us with the same villain and overarcing story for an unbroken quarter of the series, it'd better be a fun one. To date, the only three-parter we've had in the new series was the Master three-parter in series 3, and frankly I think John Simm himself is the reason that one worked, you just wanted to see as much of him as possible.

Face the Raven, Heaven Sent and Hell Bent was a three parter. It's relative quality overall, I leave up to you to decide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barry Foster posted:

Face the Raven, Heaven Sent and Hell Bent was a three parter. It's relative quality overall, I leave up to you to decide

Heaven Sent is technically a needless detour between a two-parter story, but it's just so. good! :suspense:

• Locked thread