Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I'm laughing real hard right now, but I'm also kinda apprehensive. Who is he going to poach for Justice? Eva Joly? Elisabeth Guigou? Jacques Toubon? Valérie Pécresse? Everything is possible with that guy.

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Manuel Valls! :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kassad posted:

Manuel Valls! :v:

gross

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Man I wished every terrorist attack began with the guy loudly announcing he wants to blow up an empty train platform after rush hour and then getting loving shot dead by a squad of soldiers.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Just stating the worst, but unlikely, possibility to get it out of the way. Still hoping that Valls loses the appeal about the election in Evry.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Deltasquid posted:

Man I wished every terrorist attack began with the guy loudly announcing he wants to blow up an empty train platform after rush hour and then getting loving shot dead by a squad of soldiers.

quote:

he cried: ‘Allahu Akbar’ and he blew up a trolley.

rip infidel trolley

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
That trolley was haram

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Denying logistic infrastructure to the kuffar infidels bro.

https://youtu.be/VCpVh8Wox1U

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the little poo poo is trying to form a pro-macron parliamentary group

http://lelab.europe1.fr/manuel-valls-essaye-de-creer-son-propre-a-lassemblee-nationale-3367508

Republicans will make two groups in the assembly, a pro-macron and an anti-macron https://www.lesechos.fr/politique-societe/politique/030396977508-il-y-aura-bien-deux-groupes-les-republicains-a-lassemblee-2096008.php

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
:italy:

- Jus Soli law is still being discussed, and it's the current political hot potato; Lega Nord doesn't want it (of course), Five Star Movement wants it but has called the current iteration "an unvotable mess". Well, Grillo did. To gain political points, of course. Populism! :toot:

- Another sticking point is earthquake reconstruction: nearly ten months after the first quake in central Italy (late August 2016), almost all of the debris is still where it fell, and reconstruction hasn't started yet. Now the central government and the local governments are playing the blame game.

- Rome mayor Virginia Raggi is about to be indicted for abuse of office and false declarations. She's from the FSM, who have made honesty the top point of their campaign :ironicat:

Polls! Getting wrecked at local elections cost the Five Star Movement a lot, but they're still the top party:

Five Star Movement: 28,4%, down from 29,8% (-1,6%)
Democratic Party: 26,8%, down from 27,4% (-0,6%)
Forza Italia (Dear Silvio): 14,1%, up from 13,1% (+1,0%)
Lega Nord (anti-EU, anti-immigration): 13,8%, up from 13,4% (+0,4)
Fratelli D'Italia - AN (thinly disguised fascists): 4,8%, up from 4,7% (+0,1%)
Articolo 1 - MDP (socialdemocrats, former-DPs): 3,6%, up from 3,2% (+0,4%)
Alternativa Popolare (Alfano, former Forza Italia): 2,6%, no change
Sinistra Italiana (former DPs plus former FSMs): 2,2%, no change
Others: 3,7%, up from 3,6% (+0,1%)

Notably, should the right wing parties (Forza Italia, Lega Nord, Fratelli D'Italia) decide to run together, at 32,7% they would absolutely obliterate both the FSM and the DP. Too bad Dear Silvio and Salvini can't agree on anything. And I just jinxed the next elections didn't I.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mikl posted:

- Rome mayor Virginia Raggi is about to be indicted for abuse of office and false declarations. She's from the FSM, who have made honesty the top point of their campaign :ironicat:
I don't follow a lot of Italian politics but i remember the roman mayoral campaign being insanely poo poo this cycle, partially because of her and her party "we are the only honest/clean ones!" rhetoric. Thank the gods she was a woman too so she had something else to harp on. This is veep, the Italian version.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 21, 2017

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Mikl posted:

Notably, should the right wing parties (Forza Italia, Lega Nord, Fratelli D'Italia) decide to run together, at 32,7% they would absolutely obliterate both the FSM and the DP. Too bad Dear Silvio and Salvini can't agree on anything. And I just jinxed the next elections didn't I.

Interesting as always, thanks. But how in the everloving gently caress is anyone at all still prepared to vote for Berlusconi et al??

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Interesting as always, thanks. But how in the everloving gently caress is anyone at all still prepared to vote for Berlusconi et al??

How is anyone prepared to vote for Sarkozy or Fillon? How is anyone prepared to vote for Trump? Etc.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Berlusconi's track record is a little longer than any of those people.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

It seems like soldiers on the streets do actually provide some protection against (incompetent) terrorists

https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/877267947231875072

I'm kinda surprised that terrorists are THAT dumb.
Considering his bomb was triggered but failed to explode properly and the soldiers shot him afterwards, I don't think this is a prime example of soldiers on the streets providing protection. And frankly, a cop could've done exactly the same thing.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Berlusconi's track record is a little longer than any of those people.
Generally people who vote for "extremely polarizing candidate X" do it because they hate the people "extremely polarizing candidate X" drive insane. They know the candidate will gently caress up but at least it's guaranteed tears from the other side. So Silvio is like 3000% guaranteed "it will piss them off".

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
They prevented a possible days-long manhunt and terror alert and 48 hour media scandal and reduced it to a news ticker. It's taking the "terror" out of terrorism. How is this hard to grasp.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

They prevented a possible days-long manhunt and terror alert and 48 hour media scandal and reduced it to a news ticker. It's taking the "terror" out of terrorism. How is this hard to grasp.
A cop could've done the same thing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

R. Mute posted:

A cop could've done the same thing.

I don't think anyone ever advocated for soldiers replacing police. The point is to get more people with guns on the street in a very short time.

Double people with guns on the street = double chance to shoot an Allah snack bar in progress

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol Bayrou

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I don't think anyone ever advocated for soldiers replacing police. The point is to get more people with guns on the street in a very short time.

Double people with guns on the street = double chance to shoot an Allah snack bar in progress
We don't have a shortage of cops here in Belgium, certainly not when it comes to hotspots like the train stations. Putting soldiers on the streets is purely a PR move.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

R. Mute posted:

We don't have a shortage of cops here in Belgium, certainly not when it comes to hotspots like the train stations. Putting soldiers on the streets is purely a PR move.

In that case, disregard my comment

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
its done, the republicans (right wing) are officially divided in the assembly, many mps have left the republicans group to create a center right group called "republicains constructifs-udi".

the original republican group will oppose the macron government while this new republican group will only oppose him when necessary and will work with the government

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Can someone in tune with French politics explain the whole MoDem resignation thing to me?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

R. Mute posted:

We don't have a shortage of cops here in Belgium

This is false, we keep gutting our police force to the point that off-duty police officers were asked to do extra work on the weekends when guarding the French border back when we reintroduced border checks with the Bataclan. They're even talking about reducing the police's work to "the core of police work" and leaving silly things like guarding banks and regulating traffic at intersections to private security like G4S.

EDIT: if your argument is "we need to invest more in police so we don't need the military to do police work" then we're in agreement, but that's factually not the case and I'd rather have soldiers be deployed than nobody at all.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

remember the story of the boy who cries wolf?

the wolf was there the entire time.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

Can someone in tune with French politics explain the whole MoDem resignation thing to me?
It requires explaining Bayrou's career since the 90s. I do not have the courage. But basically the party who wanted to clean politics is now hit by a scandal and need to get out of the government until they are clean again.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Pluskut Tukker posted:

In Italy until the nineties politics was basically right-wingers screaming "COMMIES!!! :argh:" at left-wingers, and left-wingers screaming "FASCISTS!!! :argh:" back. Things have changed since then, but Silvio managed to set himself up as The Only One Standing Between You And Stalinism in that time period. His core voting base is made up of nostalgic people aged 40+ who buy completely into his narrative.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

His core voting base is made up of nostalgic people aged 40+ who buy completely into his narrative.

And self-employed people and shop owners who always evade the VAT. Silvio's electoral campaigns revolved around telling these kind of people in every possible way that evading taxes is cool and good.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

This is false, we keep gutting our police force to the point that off-duty police officers were asked to do extra work on the weekends when guarding the French border back when we reintroduced border checks with the Bataclan. They're even talking about reducing the police's work to "the core of police work" and leaving silly things like guarding banks and regulating traffic at intersections to private security like G4S.

EDIT: if your argument is "we need to invest more in police so we don't need the military to do police work" then we're in agreement, but that's factually not the case and I'd rather have soldiers be deployed than nobody at all.
The Bataclan French border thing isn't a great example. We basically revived the border guard with France from one day to another - it's not surprising that we didn't have the manpower on hand to do that and increase security elsewhere.

And yeah, like you said, the privatisation of the police force is straight garbage. But we're not at the point yet where we're running that low on cops that we can't up the security at major hot spots without relying on soldiers. The issue is that while they can do it, thanks to budget cuts, it means taking that manpower from elsewhere. I guess you've got a point in saying rather soldiers than nobody, but ultimately it's just papering over the cracks. And not only are those cracks going to get bigger, it's also the principle of it - soldiers don't belong on our streets. It sends the wrong message on so many fronts, aside from being plain wrong on principle.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I Love Annie May posted:

And self-employed people and shop owners who always evade the VAT. Silvio's electoral campaigns revolved around telling these kind of people in every possible way that evading taxes is cool and good.

True. My previous post was probably guilty of oversimplification. Thanks for adding to it :)

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
In German news, it seems even the government is coming around to the idea that all those uneducated immigrants might not be quite the economic miracle that was claimed:

quote:

Up to three quarters of Germany’s refugees will still be unemployed in five years’ time, according to a government minister, in a stark admission of the challenges the country faces in integrating its huge migrant population.

Aydan Özoğuz, commissioner for integration, refugees and integration, told the Financial Times that only a quarter to a third of the newcomers would enter the labour market over the next five years, and “for many others we will need up to 10”.

https://www.ft.com/content/022de0a4-54f4-11e7-9fed-c19e2700005f?mhq5j=e1

(if you're paywalled out just google the headline and click into the article via the Google search results)

I wonder how all those "refugees welcome!!" people will feel when their taxes are increased to support these 1million ish unemployed people for the next 5 years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

We seem to be having this discussion every few pages itt, but the economic pretext for accepting refugees was always rubbish. The purpose of integrating these populations was always primarily a moral / humanitarian one, and hopefully people who supported it can see that.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does the top party in Italy still get bonus seats? An M5S government seems like it would be a shitshow.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
https://euobserver.com/institutional/138297

quote:

While the UK has traditionally been an ally to countries such as the Netherlands and Denmark, these numbers show that it cannot be easily replaced.

Voting power on legislative files, for which member state approval is needed, is related to population share. Even if the nine countries join forces, they cannot form a so-called blocking minority to hold up EU legislation.

Danish PM Loekke Rasmussen told EUobserver in a recent interview in Bergen, Norway, that the UK leaving will mean losing "a voice around the table that we often have been able to understand, especially when talking about the value of free trade ... the value of streamlining the EU institutions, [and] budget discipline."

He noted that on these issues, "other countries might appear a bit more laissez-faire."

More Brexit news. The smaller EU countries are trying to see how voting alliances will shift afterwards. I hope this does mean the EU can shift towards more social issues now one of the big neolibs drivers is out.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Someone posted this in UKMT. Could the Queen stop Brexit?!

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/877484817109192705

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Someone posted this in UKMT. Could the Queen stop Brexit?!
Short of her telling it outright, it's just pointless speculation.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Wow, this Melenchon really demonstrates why he's the left's posterboy:
An ugly old man with ugly old men's attitude, bullying those more intelligent than him and showing off small-minded nationalism. The old reactionary left's answer to Trump.

Everybody who voted for him should feel ashamed.

Link of infamy

http://www.lepoint.fr/politique/melenchon-ne-supporte-pas-de-voir-le-drapeau-europeen-a-l-assemblee-21-06-2017-2137037_20.php

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Einbauschrank posted:

Wow, this Melenchon really demonstrates why he's the left's posterboy:
An ugly old man with ugly old men's attitude, bullying those more intelligent than him and showing off small-minded nationalism. The old reactionary left's answer to Trump.

Everybody who voted for him should feel ashamed.

Link of infamy

http://www.lepoint.fr/politique/melenchon-ne-supporte-pas-de-voir-le-drapeau-europeen-a-l-assemblee-21-06-2017-2137037_20.php
I don't read this thread often, is this post satire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

R. Mute posted:

I don't read this thread often, is this post satire?

einbauschrank thinks refugees being allowed to go anywhere but the state next door is an abuse, rather than intended outcome, of the human rights convention

Einbauschrank posted:

An ugly old man with ugly old men's attitude, bullying those more intelligent than him and showing off small-minded nationalism.