Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I thought he was meant to be Sojiro age so like... 45-50ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Deltasquid posted:

I think Shido is meant to be late 30's or so. Outside of that, same.

I dunno where they got the info but the SMT wiki says he's 53

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

I think Shido is meant to be late 30's or so. Outside of that, same.

He has a kid that is slightly older then the protagonist so he has to be in his 40's at a minimum.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

Most likely from a databook, or something like that. It's probably correct.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't know where I learned he was in his 50s if they don't say it in game. Probably here, I guess

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hey did anybody else wonder what was up with the Kind Teacher and Gaudy Student out in the school courtyard?

Nobody seems to be talking about them online but me and two of my friends immediately thought their closeness was kind of odd when we stumbled onto them and we each noticed it independently from each other. I was wondering if I was overthinking it but since the topic came up between us I was wondering if anybody else picked up on anything suspicious with them.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Xarbala posted:

Hey did anybody else wonder what was up with the Kind Teacher and Gaudy Student out in the school courtyard?

Nobody seems to be talking about them online but me and two of my friends immediately thought their closeness was kind of odd when we stumbled onto them and we each noticed it independently from each other. I was wondering if I was overthinking it but since the topic came up between us I was wondering if anybody else picked up on anything suspicious with them.

I don't think I ever went to the courtyard after needing to get the TaPP's for the first few weeks. :shrug:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheLoser posted:

I don't think I ever went to the courtyard after needing to get the TaPP's for the first few weeks. :shrug:

The worst part about the giant city and having all the fast travel is you never pay attention to those NPC stories I loved in P3/P4

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, man, what happens to bloodstorm girl after you kick her rear end in mementos?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, man, what happens to bloodstorm girl after you kick her rear end in mementos?

She chills out and talks to the guy she's been stalking. They get lunch someplace.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I know people talk big about Kamoshida, but I think shido is the best human villain in the game by a mile . Also, I hope that when I'm 50 I look even half as good as shido does
I'll fully admit that, on paper, Shido comes out ahead in terms of being a villain, but Kamoshida's VA just loving sold it in a way that gives me the creeps just listening to him outside of the palace.

edit: Shido also talks like every dime-a-dozen rear end in a top hat politician out there...makes him more believable as a character, but it also kind of makes him blend into the crowd

edit2: looking at it another way: Shido wants to run a country (like an rear end in a top hat), but Kamoshida just wants to chill and abuse children all day

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 21, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Whilst waiting for the lp to get to the scene, I have to say I quite liked how the final modeling scene was handled in regards to Yosuke and Ann. On a personal level I remember feeling kind of skeeved out about the whole thing until the reveal and then I just couldn't stop laughing. On a more conceptual level I like it as it would have been easy to turn that scene into pure eyecandy but instead they used it to show off that at heart Ann was as much a goofball as Ryuji.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheLoser posted:

I get the feeling that's exactly why nobody's noticed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Digirat posted:

But it's funnier when people talk at him in cutscenes and he just tilts his head and makes strange grunts in response because they're determined not to have him talk for some reason

This is from a few pages back but the worst example of this was Persona 2 where you two games from different perspectives but have two silent protagonists that talk when they aren't the playable character. It's especially egregious since Maya talks a lot with a very defined personality and in Eternal Punishment you have characters that are constantly reacting to the weird poo poo she says that you can't read. There was just no point other than the stubborn commitment to the mentality that your character can't talk which was the standard at the time and it kinda needs to go away if they are just going to have the other characters repeat everything in an artificial manner anyway.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 21, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's mentioned in the game when the Phantoms are trying to look up information on Shido.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are any of the other villains in the game references to real people? Someone in this thread (or maybe another one) posted an article about the judo coach that was supposedly the inspiration for Kamoshida.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Radish posted:

This is from a few pages back but the worst example of this was Persona 2 where you two games from different perspectives but have two silent protagonists that talk when they aren't the playable character. It's especially egregious since Maya talks a lot with a very defined personality and in Eternal Punishment you have characters that are constantly reacting to the weird poo poo she says that you can't read. There was just no point other than the stubborn commitment to the mentality that your character can't talk which was the standard at the time and it kinda needs to go away if they are just going to have the other characters repeat everything in an artificial manner anyway.

Golden sun did this too but neither of the main characters really had any notable personality to speak of so it wasn't as jarring

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

Golden sun did this too but neither of the main characters really had any notable personality to speak of so it wasn't as jarring

CoD: Modern Warfare 2 did it too lol. In the couple missions you play as Soap MacTavish he's silent but during the rest of the game he speaks

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Agreed that shido and kamoshida are great villains, and would have been great bookends to the conflict in the game if not for the crap in between shido and christmas. However shadow madarame is still my favorite. he's mustache twirly and over the top in just the right way and his palace is the best

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
See, I never felt Madarame was as bad as Kamoshida. It wasn't until it was revealed he allowed the mum to die that he did anything that surpassed Kamoshida. It felt so weird he was built up to be this huge villain in Sae's dossier, but it's not until the lategame of Palace 2 that I felt he was anything worse than a hack fraud. Maybe it's because I'm a teacher that Kamoshida just feels far worse to me than Madarame or, to an extent, Haru's dad.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Clawtopsy posted:

See, I never felt Madarame was as bad as Kamoshida. It wasn't until it was revealed he allowed the mum to die that he did anything that surpassed Kamoshida. It felt so weird he was built up to be this huge villain in Sae's dossier, but it's not until the lategame of Palace 2 that I felt he was anything worse than a hack fraud. Maybe it's because I'm a teacher that Kamoshida just feels far worse to me than Madarame or, to an extent, Haru's dad.

Remember that a lot of Madarame's former disciples are homeless because he's blacklisted them, and at least one killed himself from the abuse. Whether he's better or worse than Kamoshida is debatable but he's scum long before you find out about Yusuke's mom.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alacron posted:

he's a scum

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Clawtopsy posted:

The fucker basically ran a sweatshop fueled by the dream of slightly maladjusted kids which left them at best challenged to handle living in normal society after having everything they cared about ripped away from them.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Indeed he was terrible, but it felt far less intimate. Kamoshida was just insidious.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Are any of the other villains in the game references to real people? Someone in this thread (or maybe another one) posted an article about the judo coach that was supposedly the inspiration for Kamoshida.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Persona5/comments/6emvpl/allusions_of_persona_5_antagonists/

More or less yes, some more loosely based than others

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

No, that's a complaint I can understand.

Madarame is obviously awful, but they set bar really high with Kamoshida when it comes to making a villain you hate on an intimate level. You don't just hear about Kamoshida's bad actions, you get to see them in practice and meet his victims and watch as he torments them. Meanwhile, Madarame's abuse is all stuff that, while unforgivable, happened in the past. You don't get to see it, just the aftermath, and that feels a little less impactful after having to deal with Kamoshida who's crimes effected you and your friends personally.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Xarbala posted:

I tried to keep up with every NPC's storyline as best I could and tho I noticed them I never felt something was weird with them. The student seems really outspoken, and just outwardly teasing of this one chill teacher in Shujin that listens to her. iirc they have decent conversations about current events and life outside of school, it was a neat subversion of the lovely Adults running theme.

tho my teacher is coming over in a maid outfit to do my laundry and give me massages and I don't even pay her for it so who I am to judge

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

so i'm a nerd who likes both persona 5 and fighting games, so i decided to trick out my fight stick a bit

anyways hope you guys like it i'm going back to playing tekken

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's sick as hell

Moltrey posted:

I tried to keep up with every NPC's storyline as best I could and tho I noticed them I never felt something was weird with them. The student seems really outspoken, and just outwardly teasing of this one chill teacher in Shujin that listens to her. iirc they have decent conversations about current events and life outside of school, it was a neat subversion of the lovely Adults running theme.

tho my teacher is coming over in a maid outfit to do my laundry and give me massages and I don't even pay her for it so who I am to judge

That's the surface read I got, which made me wonder if my suspicions were just me reading too much into things since the topic of student-teacher relationships was pretty prominent and on my mind.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

The way the teacher was friendly, but a bit milquetoast made me think of it as a callback to the Timid Teacher series.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So did they actually change sae nijima's heart or not

She acts like they did, but not right away, and doesn't have the same breakdown everyone else does?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Digirat posted:

She acts like they did, but not right away, and doesn't have the same breakdown everyone else does?

I think they say they stole a fake version of the treasure at some point during the post-twist exposition. I assume they didn't steal the real thing because then she would have had a breakdown and wouldn't have been able to go to the interrogation room.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Digirat posted:

Her palace never collapsed, so no.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Digirat posted:

They explicitly did not. Otherwise her Palace wouldn't have been there for Goro to fake kill Joker in.

She just has a real, non-supernatural change of heart.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The only confusing thing about it to me is that you would expect the moment that Sae 'accepts her shadow' to be when you achieve rank 10, but that's clearly not the case since Joker's getting fake shot 5 minutes after that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Sae, just like Mishima, ended up growing as a person without the phantom thieves changing her heart directly. No accepting your shadow necessary like Futaba did, or else she'd have her own persona.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zore posted:

They explicitly did not. Otherwise her Palace wouldn't have been there for Goro to fake kill Joker in.

She just has a real, non-supernatural change of heart.

Also if she did have her heart changed, she probably would ended up in the Mementos Depth prison with all the villains.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rirse posted:

Also if she did have her heart changed, she probably would ended up in the Mementos Depth prison with all the villains.

I was confused about this. Since they were down there being sad and stuff, did that mean stealing their hearts actually was a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Badger of Basra posted:

I was confused about this. Since they were down there being sad and stuff, did that mean stealing their hearts actually was a bad thing?

No, it was good that the Phantom Thieves stole their hearts. They were all terrible people doing terrible things, and stealing their hearts stopped them. It's just there was also a larger systemic problem that the PTs had been previously unaware of.

• Locked thread