Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ManofManyAliases posted:

From what I've seen...

Pfffff nice try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

But for stuff that screams "I'm pretty much a lie!" I have some hope that people will wake up and smell the coffee.
Most Americans still believe in the meritocracy. Abandon all hope.

quote:

" And a buddy telling somebody that is far more effective than 1000 July blogs saying exactly that in a billion words.
That's true, it was a friend that finally convinced me to refund.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

ManofManyAliases posted:

From what I've seen, coming along very nicely. Backers (such as myself) will be blown away. 3.1 and 3.2 are going to be that much more amazing.
4.0 is the patch that is really going to prove Derek Smart is wrong!!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

"a buddy telling somebody that is far more effective than 1000 July blogs saying exactly that in a billion words."

This is gospel. The more confrontational you are against something that a person is emotionally invested in, the more they will resist and dig their heels in. People will die over things they believe in and trying to talk down to someone about them will only reinforce their feeling of being right.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Bluegoblin posted:

...are we not as members of this community duty bound to counter them...

Star Citizen... is bad?

*sigh*
*unsheaths katana*

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Natron posted:

Star Citizen... is bad?

*sigh*
*unsheaths katana*

*The Star Citizen backer sighed as he donned his black garb and shouldered his non-functional AR15*

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Natron posted:

Star Citizen... is bad?

*sigh*
*unsheaths katana*

*opens sexbot fem bot crates in basement*

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

*opens bitcoin velcro wallet, pledges another $200*

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
^ lol

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
*unzips bodysuit*
*puts on bunnyears and tail*
*begins wanking furiously in your direction*

Septic Tank Gulag fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 21, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

From what I've seen, coming along very nicely. Backers (such as myself) will be blown away. 3.1 and 3.2 are going to be that much more amazing.

Usually you're better than this. But yeah, your employer or favorite company is sort of leaving you without much anmo.

Just say it all really starts coming together in 5.0, or 16.8, or 42.42. Just pick some dumb arbitrary numbers now.

It doesn't matter what version you pick because the "here's what's going to be in x.xx!!!! Hype!!!!" On day 0 is going to be totally different than "uh.. don't get too excited but this is what's actually in x.xx. Remember it's alpha please..." on day +365, which is also going to be 335 days after the day 0 promised release date.

Doesn't even really matter anymore. :(

Sorry your company loving sucks and puts you in these positions.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Best character. :3:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
But why would backers have high expectations if that wasn't communicated to begin with?

Oh right, because CIG never mentioned release dates despite being all about release dates.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Cymelion has successfully shifted his hopes to 4.0

Well done CIG :911: :patriot: :patriot: 2018 looks bright.

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
In Cymelion's analogy, does the cart represent promises or jpegs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

ManofManyAliases posted:

So, 3.0 is no longer the wonder patch, but 3.1 and 3.2 are. Got it.

2018?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

It's a slippery slope really.

I don't care if people pre-order stuff. I don't care if they buy stuff that's junk. I'm not the world's mother trying to direct them to spend money wisely.

But for stuff that screams "I'm pretty much a lie!" I have some hope that people will wake up and smell the coffee.

Also the original scope of Star Citizen was totally doable. So was Sq42. One was basically a Freelancer with better graphics and walking around at big landing places, and the other was just 3D cutscenes between scripted missions. Neither one was hugely out of the ordinary outside of maybe Star Citizen and walking around ships. But that was cool and has been done before in other genres so it'd be a neat difference to set them apart from the crowd.

But now we're 5+ years in, no sign of even a functional demo that proves anything works as expected, no vertical slice, etc etc etc.

I don't get jubilant because XXBobXX got a refund, but I do have a "Oh good for you" internal nod of approval for them. If other people want to burn money, I don't care either.

I'm kind of done bandstanding refunds at this point. Those that are still buying will do it, but I think eventually most people will stop. I also think CIG is helping that with their whole "get your buddies to join!" Because those buddies will probably say "this is poo poo, what the gently caress is wrong with you?" And a buddy telling somebody that is far more effective than 1000 July blogs saying exactly that in a billion words.

:same:

Also, if the failed Father's Day sale (less than $50K) or the fact that they didn't even raise $1m in June, are any indication, it's safe to say that the money squeeze is in full swing. The whales still giving them money, are waiting to see what 3.0 delivers. And even they can't save this train-wreck now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/877565659202306049

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

*unzips bodysuit*
*puts on bunnyears and tail*
*begins wanking furiously in your direction*

:stare:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

:same:

Also, if the failed Father's Day sale (less than $50K) or the fact that they didn't even raise $1m in June, are any indication, it's safe to say that the money squeeze is in full swing. The whales still giving them money, are waiting to see what 3.0 delivers. And even they can't save this train-wreck now.

How have you been following this project for so long and NOT realise this yet?

JUNE IS A SLOW MONTH! People, (their massive following in Germany), are just waiting to spend in JULY and AUGUST when they are all on vacation.

We went over this last year and the year before!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So MoMA (or anybody else), what is actually supposed to be in 3.0 now?

Loading transitions to Planet maps at least?

A few more broken ships?

Extra male clothes/armor?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess "anything that requires genuine programmer talent to implement" is pretty much off the table.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sillybones posted:

Oops. Oh, dear.

This pic always makes me laugh because he looks like a completely gormless fuckwit.

:shrug: I have nothing more to add.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

“Looks like”?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

I feel we have done a bad job preparing the afterparty. Or is there someone out there with 100 itshappening.gifs ready to go?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

I feel we have done a bad job preparing the afterparty. Or is there someone out there with 100 itshappening.gifs ready to go?

No, but I have been planning an actual party for that event though.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

likely anatomically accurate

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

So MoMA (or anybody else), what is actually supposed to be in 3.0 now?

Loading transitions to Planet maps at least?

A few more broken ships?

Extra male clothes/armor?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess "anything that requires genuine programmer talent to implement" is pretty much off the table.

I wrote this up for the June 16th scheduled update. I can't wait for the hilarity that is going to be the June 23rd update.

======================

So the latest 3.0 schedule is out. Here is a diff between previous and current versions.

The fact that the "aim date" still remains July 27, 2017, even as things are delayed, removed (TBD), means that they're probably going to ship 3.0 with some items removed, while pushing them either into 3.0x or 3.1 etc. It's like 2.0 all over again. Also, Gamescom 2017 is coming up in Aug, and CitizenCon 2017 is Oct 27th. Both in Germany. So either way, there is going to be some version of a 3.0 build at one of these two events (fundraising!).

Star Citizen Schedule Analysis (spreadsheet)

Star Citizen Tracker

HIGHLIGHTS

quote:

Everything is hosed. And delayed. Again

Also, quick synopsis from Nicholas over at SA

Completed

- Rover
- "Reworked" Cutlass Black
- "Reworked" Devastator Shotgun "Some minor polish remains"
- "Reworked" Arrowhead Sniper rifle "Some minor polish remains"
- Mobiglass refactor
- Diffusion subset for 3.0

Delayed

- Derelict ships. this was marked feature complete but also delayed 2 weeks (ETA is 30th June)
- Items 2.0 ROVER AND DRAGONFLY IN SHIPS (ETA June 27th)
- Asteroid Physics (ETA June 23rd)
- Exposure Improvements (ETA June 30th)
- Solar System Service Shop (ETA June 23rd)

Other

- New Message Queue has "a number of issues noted" (no longer has an ETA)
- Repair - "Code Complete Bugfixing to follow as needed" (no longer has an ETA)

So...

- 4 reworks of things already finished, but still not actually completely "finished"
- a new golf cart marked complete even though you cant transport it or use it on a planet
- and whatever the gently caress "diffusion subset" means.
- Actual gameplay features 0

Never forget the original promise:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

This shitshow makes Madoff look decent.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Colostomy Bag posted:

This shitshow makes Madoff look decent.

its probably the same but he just had bigger fish

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tippis posted:

“Looks like”?

I meant to say "is" but was in a hurry to eat some bacon :)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sabreseven posted:

I meant to say "is" but was in a hurry to eat some bacon :)

Ah, well. Ok then. Carry on.

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
When all is said and done, will crobbers and freyermuth do time for this scam?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

so soon?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

This is loving art.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Almost certainly not.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nah. The guys who'd have reason to put them there would be too busy clogging up the list of defence witnesses.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 21, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Anime body pillow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

Nah. The guys who'd have reason to put them there would be too busy clogging up the list of defence witnesses.
Starting a money-sucking cult truly is the perfect crime. Standby for my space-anime-mmo-jprg kickstarter.