Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

YggdrasilTM posted:

The Hour of Glory. Next: Hour of Promise, Hour of Eternity and Hour of Devastation.

Is there a reason that this isn't an extraction effect like Deicide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Boxman posted:

Is there a reason that this isn't an extraction effect like Deicide?

Is there a reason why it should be?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Man, there is no reason this couldn't be sllllligtly pushed at 3cmc.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

murder is our standard for black removal these days, can't have a strictly better murder

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

It would be orders of magnitude better than Murder, unless it was BBB.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I don't remember recent monoblack removal with 3cmc that exiles. They are all at 4 cmc or more.

e: yep, the only existing inconditional 3cmc exile black spell is Oubliette

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 21, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

planeswalker deck stuff

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

G/B is super beatable, people just aren't trying right now b/c lame duck format

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

DangerDongs posted:

So the first Standard SCG Invitational since Marvel ban is 7/8 for top eight G/B lists.

Edit: Correction this tournament was 6/17, and I believe ban was official 6/19.
Still looks like G/B may be the new king though.

Turbofog top tier once again if that's the case.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

80s James Hetfield posted:

Turbofog top tier once again if that's the case.

omg we all loving get it

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wasp of the Bitter End is kind of a neat card.

ShaneB posted:

omg we all loving get it

Given a choice between this or his copypasted MTGS post gimmick, I'm fine with how things are.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ShaneB posted:

omg we all loving get it

Look at this fuckin nerd unaware of the forum's Ignore feature.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

I try to save that for truly desperate times.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's not like you'll run out of space in the ignore list.

Story update: I can't believe Rhonas is loving dead. :rip:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
hour of desperation

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lone Goat posted:

Imagine if this thread was ever moderated?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Let he who is without a silly pet deck cast the first stone. Now here's 2000 words on why Mill is now T1 in Modern thanks to Fraying Sanity:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
That avid reclaimer, can you respond to the life gain? It reads like it is part of the Mana ability

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Siivola posted:

Scorpion God too strong

Sickening posted:

we would all be banned

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
post the turbofog list

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

what is this dumb poo poo, no-one has done anything worthy of getting probated lol

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Siivola posted:

The art for Hour of Glory is pretty meh given that it was supposed to represent their big godly throwdown.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 21, 2017

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Let he who is without a silly pet deck cast the first stone. Now here's 2000 words on why Mill is now T1 in Modern thanks to Fraying Sanity:

I need to try that card out when it drops . I haven't played it since they broke fuse cards and expertise.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

The art for Hour of Glory is pretty meh given that it was supposed to represent their big throwdown.

the art for Hour of Glory is pretty silly

quote:

"Reason"
U
Sorcery
Scry 3

"Fight"
4G
Sorcery
Aftermath
Look at the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, you may reveal it and put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, put that card into your hand.

I mean, Fight isn't actually called Fight given that Prepare to Fight is a card, but I assume the rules text is right

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

Yeah, my first read of it is the scorpion dude is giving Rhonas a pep-talk before he steps into the ring to face his opponent or something.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Molybdenum posted:

That avid reclaimer, can you respond to the life gain? It reads like it is part of the Mana ability

It is part of the mana ability, and cannot be responded to. The life gain is part of the ability, not a separate triggered ability. It would be a little awkward to template, but it's theoretically possible to do "Whenever ~ is tapped for mana, gain 2 life" that would be able to be responded.

quote:

605.1a An activated ability is a mana ability if it meets all of the following criteria: it doesn’t have a target, it could put mana into a player’s mana pool when it resolves, and it’s not a loyalty ability. (See rule 606, “Loyalty Abilities.”)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

YggdrasilTM posted:

Is there a reason why it should be?

Just looking at the hand seems like an extremely underwhelming reward for targeting a specific creature type, as well as historical symmetry with similar effects.

I mean, it's not worthless as is - it isn't like the God trigger would happen super often - but it just feels like a weird downgrade, especially since they were supposed to be on the upswing for "answers to potentially powerful things."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I need to try that card out when it drops . I haven't played it since they broke fuse cards and expertise.

I am super-excited to try it out but I don't know where it would go. My first guess is in the Mind Funeral spot but that card is great against the low-curve decks that beat up Mill. But the incremental mill cards like Crab and Mesmeric Orb are better than they appear on paper so this one has to work somewhere in the deck.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I am super-excited to try it out but I don't know where it would go. My first guess is in the Mind Funeral spot but that card is great against the low-curve decks that beat up Mill. But the incremental mill cards like Crab and Mesmeric Orb are better than they appear on paper so this one has to work somewhere in the deck.

Traumatize + that = mill the whole deck in one go

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Japanese speaker: can confirm the text of the Aftermath part. I don't know the Japanese phrasing for Scry, but it makes a lot of sense.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Elyv posted:

I mean, Fight isn't actually called Fight given that Prepare to Fight is a card, but I assume the rules text is right

i assume it's Reason to Live

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YggdrasilTM posted:

The Hour of Glory. Next: Hour of Promise, Hour of Eternity and Hour of Devastation.

Why does this need to be 4 mana?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ShaneB posted:

omg we all loving get it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I am also in the same boat that its should be 3 cmc. Can't be strictly better than murder? Get the gently caress out of here.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Exiling is better than destroying you dumb goons

This is also better than Deicide because this is maindeckable and works on most other creatures

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

It's in the mold of Oblivion Strike and Gild. B3 for unconditional exile (maybe + a bonus) is a template now.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I believe in your dreams.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

I am also in the same boat that its should be 3 cmc. Can't be strictly better than murder? Get the gently caress out of here.

Hell, why not 2

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It's in the mold of Oblivion Strike and Gild. B3 for unconditional exile (maybe + a bonus) is a template now.

weren't both those uncommon tho? i actually think 4 mana is fine since i think murder is good at 3 mana, but I also think it shouldn't be a rare just because of an upside that comes up maybe once every 100 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hell, why not 2

Let's say 1. Better PtE for Black! Fatal push is now obsolete!