Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Senjuro posted:

Sure you will, his next victim.

I'm not saying that there's no argument in favor of killing the Cat dude, just that it's a much stronger case to intervene if you arrive in the middle of it and there are actual people in front of you to save vs. saving a hypothetical future victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Avalerion posted:

I think we can just accept that the game is willing to let you make bad choices (like kill trolls). If you do your Geralt is a bad person but rear end in a top hat Geralt is a valid choice, games letting you be evil is nothing new.

If you try and justify it as anything else, yea no, this is like siding with the legion in fallout new vegas.

Opening a can of worms, there are die hard fans of the Legion in the Fallout playerbase.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Opening a can of worms, there are die hard fans of the Legion in the Fallout playerbase.

Yeah they also play a lot of World of Tanks and are gearing up to review bomb the new Wolfenstein

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Would Geralt really put himself at that much risk for justice that really doesn't mean much? I mean they both got chumped by peasants with pitchforks. That probably means Cat Witcher's a badass. Would he really risk fighting a witcher to the death for the gently caress of it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah they also play a lot of World of Tanks and are gearing up to review bomb the new Wolfenstein

So Russians?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Would Geralt really put himself at that much risk for justice that really doesn't mean much? I mean they both got chumped by peasants with pitchforks. That probably means Cat Witcher's a badass. Would he really risk fighting a witcher to the death for the gently caress of it?

yes dude, he would.

Geralt literally spends most of his time risking his rear end to settle situations like this, regardless of whether or not the other guy was a witcher he was clearly a monster and it's well within Geralt's character to kill him because of his actions, him hunting down and killing a monster after the monster killed a bunch of people (ie, the situation is already 'over') is not remotely uncommon, and especially given this monster's clear propensity for this type of action, hinting that it's not the first time and it won't be the last.

Add to that that it's clearly in his own best interest to deal with this problem, a witcher who has a history of brutally murdering shitloads of innocent people for no good reason isn't really the kind of thing you want running around when you're also a witcher, considering how badly they often get treated already.

Gonna get mighty hard to find a job or a place to sleep if the cat witcher keeps killing whole villages. Nobody is gonna want to hire you or put up with you if there starts to be a pattern of "village asks for witcher, whole town mysteriously and brutally murdered".

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Well he knows a village with a bunch of beds free now whenever he needs one.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think there's an incongruity here with some people playing the game making decisions based on "what would geralt do" and some people playing the game making decisions based on "what would i, a person playing a videogame, like to do"

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Cowcaster posted:

i think there's an incongruity here with some people playing the game making decisions based on "what would geralt do" and some people playing the game making decisions based on "what would i, a person playing a videogame, like to do"

Playing it as "what would Geralt do" is dumb. If you don't want to infuse yourself into it and stick to what someone other than yourself would do, then you might as well make the game linear without choices or decisions.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah, I guess so.

I don't see how it isn't clear at this point that Geralt is prone to meddling with poo poo he shouldn't, tends to get involved on the side of the underdog, and is in general a nice if somewhat gruff guy who cares a lot about his friends and family and is very much a protector of the downtrodden and weak, so much so that I mean it literally got him killed once already. Also he often serves serves sort of a judge/jury/executioner (if need be) role when he deals with a lot of stuff, especially sentient monsters, so him going "actually, after hearing your story you're a bloodthirsty lunatic and I need to put you down like a rabid dog" is very much in line with his character, ESPECIALLY considering the now orphaned little girl involved.

e:

metallicaeg posted:

Playing it as "what would Geralt do" is dumb. If you don't want to infuse yourself into it and stick to what someone other than yourself would do, then you might as well make the game linear without choices or decisions.

The discussion is literally about "what Geralt would do". Obviously players can do what they want.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 21, 2017

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

metallicaeg posted:

Maybe last 10+ pages of this thread is a testament that "what would Geralt do" is not exactly clear cut. Besides, it's not dumb at all unless you plan to never play this game again. Many people set different "rulesets" for their subsequent runs to shake things up. "What would Geralt do" is exactly that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's a misconception, obviously people play "what do you think Geralt would do" and then that's where the interpretations trail off in different directions, some of them filtered through your own morality and some of them guided by who you think Geralt is.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I always play games as "what would Iron Crowned do"

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Palpek posted:

It's a misconception, obviously people play "what do you think Geralt would do" and then that's where the interpretations trail off in different directions, some of them filtered through your own morality and some of them guided by who you think Geralt is.

Geralt is real and my friend and I asked him what he would do before I posted.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Palpek posted:

Yes, exactly. My actions in game are a murky conflation of my own motivations and those that I imagine to be Geralt The Character's, where the dividing line is very much undefined; every player is going to have a different perspective depending on the order and manner of how they've played the game and the decisions they've made. To get a little more pretentious about it, I feel like when I am playing, at least, my actions in game fall somewhere between those that are purely reflexive, and those that are "gestures:" i.e., I've had to artificially pause a moment, consider, and then act in a way that feels aesthetically appropriate. I spared Cat guy, because at that moment I thought, considered, and felt that Geralt was probably disinclined to kill another witcher by nature (I also spared Letho, who has caused at least as much suffering), could feel empathy for the poo poo rear end job that it is, and may have just felt too conflicted at that moment to do anything at all. It was to an extent an arbitrary choice, and I feel like I/Geralt may have just as easily done the opposite on another go around.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

metallicaeg posted:

Isn't the essence of role-playing to make decisions based on what a fictional person would choose? I mostly just pick whatever I personally think is the best option morally, but I don't see how it's dumb to actually role-play this Geralt character as Geralt.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You get to decide what kind of person Geralt is though. Since you are given those choices they are all a valid interpretation of his character.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Letho's fate, that's where the real dilemma is at. He murders a bunch of kings but not out of malice or anger. You could argue he was forced but that's not really clear. He doesn't kill anyone he doesn't have to and spares Geralt when he has the opportunity to kill him. He helps Yen after rescuing her from the hunt. Rescues Triss at the end if you don't but it's his fault she was captured to begin with.

I can understand why someone would choose either option with him.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 21, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea to me that was just politics, the kings were dicks anyway so who cares.

Getting assassinated should probably count as an expected hazard of the job.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I make calculated decisions based on what I think will get me the sword with the highest #NUMBERS#.

Like if there was an achievement sword you got for depopulating Novigrad I'd do it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I make calculated decisions based on what I think will get me the sword with the highest #NUMBERS#.

Like if there was an achievement sword you got for depopulating Novigrad I'd do it.

Hell yeah! Too bad that requires a second playthrough or looking up every quest reward beforehand.

Senjuro posted:

Letho's fate, that's where the real dilemma is at. He murders a bunch of kings but not out of malice or anger. You could argue he was forced but that's not really clear. He doesn't kill anyone he doesn't have to and spares Geralt when he has the opportunity to kill him. He helps Yen after rescuing her from the hunt. Rescues Triss at the end if you don't but it's his fault she was captured to begin with.

I can understand why someone would choose either option with him.

I spared Letho but killed the Cat witcher and I couldn't even say why. I guess my decisions are actually mostly based on who has the coolest voice?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

cowcastertm approved

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Letho is the best because he belts out a one liner towards Roche and Ves that merits the single most scathing "gently caress you" in the series.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
loving hell I just realized, they got Charles loving Dance to play Emhyr. CDProjekt really is a grown up developer :aaa:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

cowcastertm approved

I'm just saying if there was a really good sword crafted with Friendly Cave Troll parts yes, I would have that achievement.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
When I started the books I didn't know I'd be reading about a fairy king who couldn't get it up :laffo:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Going back to the Cat School guy really quick, I chose to end him. Not because of justice or revenge, but because I saw him as broken permanently. I saw ending him as a mercy Geralt could afford him. I also believed that he would do worse in the future because he was broken, and that would make it worse for Witchers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mortons stork posted:

loving hell I just realized, they got Charles loving Dance to play Emhyr. CDProjekt really is a grown up developer :aaa:

CDPR are big Last Action Hero fans.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Fuligin posted:

Yes, exactly. My actions in game are a murky conflation of my own motivations and those that I imagine to be Geralt The Character's, where the dividing line is very much undefined; every player is going to have a different perspective depending on the order and manner of how they've played the game and the decisions they've made. To get a little more pretentious about it, I feel like when I am playing, at least, my actions in game fall somewhere between those that are purely reflexive, and those that are "gestures:" i.e., I've had to artificially pause a moment, consider, and then act in a way that feels aesthetically appropriate. I spared Cat guy, because at that moment I thought, considered, and felt that Geralt was probably disinclined to kill another witcher by nature (I also spared Letho, who has caused at least as much suffering), could feel empathy for the poo poo rear end job that it is, and may have just felt too conflicted at that moment to do anything at all. It was to an extent an arbitrary choice, and I feel like I/Geralt may have just as easily done the opposite on another go around.

Letho is a different case, for me. He was contracted essentially as a mercenary in a war, he was just doing his job, and he didn't go out of his way to kill anyone he didn't need to. Letho is a brutal killing machine but he also doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would murder an entire village complete with women and children because 3 assholes attacked him. He'd definitely murder the poo poo out of the 3 assholes, and anyone else who wanted some, but he's not gonna go out of his way to cause suffering.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm sure a couple of shattered jugglers from that king's boat would dispute your claim of "not going out of his way to kill anyone he didn't need to"

also let me mention how awesome it was they added in northern wind to witcher 3 probably solely because of that cutscene

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Cowcaster posted:

i'm sure a couple of shattered jugglers from that king's boat would dispute your claim of "not going out of his way to kill anyone he didn't need to"

also let me mention how awesome it was they added in northern wind to witcher 3 probably solely because of that cutscene

He didn't go out of his way, and those guys died as a result of his attack on the king. He didn't kill the king and then also murder everyone nearby just for funsies, he did what he had to do to kill his target and that's it.

It's probably NOT actually very easy to kill a bunch of kings who are currently involved in wars, so I'd guess he took the best chance he could and the rest is just collateral damage.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

*freezes and then shatters a bunch of unarmed civilians when the only target is a single person* "ah yes, acceptable collateral damage, the ends justify the means, etc."

*kills a bunch of unarmed civilians after they stiff you on a bill and a couple of them try to ram farm implements through your juicy bits* "unforgiveable, monstrous, vile, etc."

edit: i mean, i spared them both myself, just to me it seems inconsistent to do one but not the other

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 21, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

not to mention taking triss hostage to get out of a jam, and personally killing/getting all of iorveth's crew captured and tortured to death on a slave ship as scapegoats, from what i remember

i guess the weirdest of all would be killing letho but letting the cat witcher go

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 21, 2017

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Letting Letho live leads to more content, whereas Catboy quest ends whether you kill him or not. Gimme some more of them cutscenes

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hobo Clown posted:

Letting Letho live leads to more content, whereas Catboy quest ends whether you kill him or not. Gimme some more of them cutscenes

actually a reasonable point

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

not to mention taking triss hostage to get out of a jam, and personally killing/getting all of iorveth's crew captured and tortured to death on a slave ship as scapegoats, from what i remember

i guess the weirdest of all would be killing letho but letting the cat witcher go

I had a harder time killing Letho because he did also save Triss in the end. In the middle of a mage purge which she surely would have been targeted in. Sure, it was his fault, but he actually went out of his way not to be a COMPLETE dick in the process, like how he tried to get Foltest's children out of the room before he killed him. (though that went wrong) It seemed like a completely premeditated one time political job to help his school, as opposed to crazy man flying off the handle and just killing everyone nearby. Unlike Cat Witcher, I never felt like he'd continue murdering dudes if I let him go. Plan's done! Killing him would just be catharsis if you're still torqued off about getting blamed for his poo poo or if you maybe liked Foltest. The only people Letho continues to endanger are "people trying to kill Letho."

Letting cat witcher go and killing Letho would definitely be bizarre, but I can understand the reverse. I feel like Letho was a better "either way seems valid" choice.

(I did kinda like Foltest, as far as kings go. It was the genuine care for his kids. Hey, I've played Crusader Kings 2. Sticking with your bastards isn't easy.)

Hobo Clown posted:

but this is the best point

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Now imagine righteously killing both Letho and the Cat Witcher and then turning out to be a bad dad, just goddamn.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

metallicaeg posted:

Not really, because the story is about Geralt, not the player. Geralt is a complete character with his own backstory and personality and motives. it's not Morrowind where you're just the blank-slate protagonist. Witcher 3 does really limit your freedom, IE you can't just murder villagers or say "gently caress off Emhyr I don't even care about Ciri, I'm going to go collect plants". Obviously you still have some agency in what Geralt does it mostly boils down to a choice between "Kind of a Dick" and "Helpful Person".

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I was really hoping I could become the scourge of the Wasteland like in Fallout. IE generally helpful but very manipulative/wrath of God towards bad people.

Can I still roam around after beating the game or is it point of no return stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I was really hoping I could become the scourge of the Wasteland like in Fallout. IE generally helpful but very manipulative/wrath of God towards bad people.

Can I still roam around after beating the game or is it point of no return stuff?

After the end it pops you back into the game world and you can do any Witcher contracts you haven't done, side quests that aren't to directly connected to the main quest and the expansions.