Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

a huge raging/whiny bitch?

you're a real winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

Looking back it's pretty impressive that a show all about lawyers practicing law managed to go two and a half seasons before its first actual courtroom scene.

...but it literally opened the show with one?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Venuz Patrol posted:

whats weird about this episode to me is that the end of season 1 had jimmy saying, explicitly, "if i have a million bucks in front of me again, i'm not giving it up this time"

he just gave up a million because some old ladies were being catty. he's a pathological do-gooder
That was when he didn't have Kim, though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't know why people think there's going to be a whole season of Gene. What's happening there is 6-7 years minimum after the events of BCS. Gene would almost definitely not be in contact with any other characters from BCS. At a stretch he might make contact with Kim, but that sure as poo poo isn't enough to hang a whole 10 episodes on.

I can see the last season having a Gene-centric cold open for every single episode, culminating in some conclusion in the finale, but that's really it.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I saw an interview with the writer of the finale, and even she was being coy with the "We don't know if Chuck's dead." stuff.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

you're a real winner

I have a friend who concedes that Skyler was always in the right but still thinks that within the structure of the show Skyler was a "villain" who you were supposed to hate. But even that doesn't make sense because even if you take Walt's point of view, he never, ever hated her. He got frustrated with her sometimes for thwarting his criminal activities, but she was never a villain in his eyes. There's no rational way to watch the show and come away hating Skyler, not even if you're totally pro-Walt. That's what's so baffling about the whole thing.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I mean, it's not really that baffling.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Misogyny is pretty baffling in the 21st century.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

With Chuck and Mike's storylines essentially done I hope the show wraps up next season and finishes strong and we can just focus on Jimmy, Kim, Gus, Nacho & Gene.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
We need to combine Married With Children with Breaking Bad

That's right Peggy. I'm the head honcho. The big enchilada. The one who knocks.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The show's ratings have been dropping significantly each season so I'm scared it won't be renewed. Hopefully the retarded "is Chuck dead??" stuff will keep enough presence online they'll choose to renew.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

vermin posted:

We need to combine Married With Children with Breaking Bad

That's right Peggy. I'm the head honcho. The big enchilada. The one who knocks.

The amount of crotch grabbing matches.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Sagebrush posted:

you're a real winner

people actually think that though, which is scary

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
From here:

quote:

So can you assure me that we're not going to begin season four with a high school-aged Jesse Pinkman pulling a coughing, but very much alive Chuck from his burning home?

(Laughter)

Peter Gould: Dan, you might be on to something there.

Vince Gilligan: I like that! Where are we gonna find a high school-aged Jesse Pinkman?

Gould: It's funny, but now that you bring it up, Jesse's aunt's house is right around the corner from Chuck's, so potentially he could have been walking by.

Gilligan: And then he breaks the glass and he's a local hero.

Gould: This is writing itself!

Gilligan: This is gold!

Oh, God. So I've just ruined Better Call Saul and I apologize for that. (They laugh) What can you guys say regarding the certainty that this is not a bluff on your part?

Gould: There's a term that I learned in the Breaking Bad writers room, we used to call it "schmuck-bait." We learned it from the aptly name George Mastras, because he is a master and a maestro. George taught us this term "schmuck-bait," which basically means making it look like something big has just happened in order to get the audience to keep watching and then taking it back at the first possible opportunity. It's a bait-and-switch, the shows that make it look like somebody's dead or somebody's facing a certain horrible fate and then you see a commercial and as soon as the commercial's over, it's off the table. Our show, we try to think about consequences, not about tricking the audience or hiding things to fool the audience. We try to face down the consequences head-on as much as we can. But this is a long-winded way of also saying that the season four writers room has not opened as yet, so anything that wasn't on the screen is still fair game in my book.

Gilligan: In case it turns out that the best way to end this is for Abraham Lincoln to come forward in a time machine and save Chuck, then we'll do it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've never seen The Walking Dead but I understand that there was a season finale where they ended on a shot of someone getting stabbed in the face or whatever, and then at the beginning of the next season it was a wider shot and oh hahaha GOT YOU! the guy actually missed and stabbed the wall beside him and well, that just sounds like really top-notch brilliant writing and I hope that Better Call Saul can pull off something similar.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

I've never seen The Walking Dead but I understand that there was a season finale where they ended on a shot of someone getting stabbed in the face or whatever, and then at the beginning of the next season it was a wider shot and oh hahaha GOT YOU! the guy actually missed and stabbed the wall beside him and well, that just sounds like really top-notch brilliant writing and I hope that Better Call Saul can pull off something similar.
Vince Gilligan on the Insider Podcast for 401: Some folks from The Walking Dead showed up in the writers' room when we were brainstorming how to start the season, and lemme tell ya, the janitor who gave me the broom I used to chase them out was just the sweetest guy, best in the business.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

http://i.imgur.com/9CsJIrY.gifv

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't watch that dumb poo poo show but IIRC his brutal bludgeoning to death is a pretty big deal so I doubt they'd have changed it anyway. Tru fanz would've known.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

The show's ratings have been dropping significantly each season so I'm scared it won't be renewed. Hopefully the retarded "is Chuck dead??" stuff will keep enough presence online they'll choose to renew.

The good news is that the show's ratings aren't the only metric that factors into its renewal. I remember reading that one of the reasons AMC likes it is because whenever a new season starts airing, the number of people rewatching Breaking Bad on Netflix jumps up. And beyond that, Gilligan and Gould did a lot to solidify AMC's status as a channel with quality TV dramas. It might be worth it to AMC to allow them to finish the show on their own terms just to retain that relationship so that if/when they're shopping a new show around, they get the chance to buy it before FX or HBO does.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Great season ending, next season gonna be crazy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Chuck probably just went out to check the power meter again, so I'm sure he's fine.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It'd be better if after he smashed it he looked down it was still spinning

If he doesn't get the hint then well lol better start the barbeque

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The good news is that the show's ratings aren't the only metric that factors into its renewal. I remember reading that one of the reasons AMC likes it is because whenever a new season starts airing, the number of people rewatching Breaking Bad on Netflix jumps up. And beyond that, Gilligan and Gould did a lot to solidify AMC's status as a channel with quality TV dramas. It might be worth it to AMC to allow them to finish the show on their own terms just to retain that relationship so that if/when they're shopping a new show around, they get the chance to buy it before FX or HBO does.

This is really cool and exciting info, thanks for sharing!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Great season finale, lovely thread

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

How long is the production cycle for this show? I'm worried it's going to take quite a bit longer than a year for Season 4 to go from scratch to screen once they get started on it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RJWaters2 posted:

https://twitter.com/MJMcKean/status/833350083886379008
Sounds like he's gone for good. If we're lucky, a cold hot open flashback or two.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Someone needs to string together a video of all the times Howard says, "Could you give us the room please?"

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RJWaters2 posted:

https://twitter.com/MJMcKean/status/833350083886379008
Sounds like he's gone for good. If we're lucky, a cold open flashback or two.

I looked up that TMBG song on YouTube and this is one of the first comments:

quote:

At the last TMBG show I went to, Linnell said it's about a band who is getting older and keep saying that this is their last tour, but then never really retire. He compared this song to the longevity of The Rolling Stones.

So clearly this is a hidden message from Michael McKean about how Chuck is still alive and will use his new lease on life to re-join Spinal Tap and go on a world tour with Rebecca as the band's newly added violinist.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Someone needs to string together a video of all the times Howard says, "Could you give us the room please?"

Now that you mention it he does do that a lot. It speaks to how highly he thinks of himself.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Hector dies and chuck lives but he's robbed of most of his motor functions and the burns leave him looking like hector. Adds a lot of pathos to breaking bad.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Jimmy Lied

Chuck Died

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Hamlin Turned

Chuck Burned

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I could definitely see Chuck pooping his pants in defiance

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Jimmy Lied

Chuck Died

I feel like it's disingenous at best to blame Chuck for this.

Chuck could have chosen to take Howard's initial offer and work at the law school. Being a law prof is not a small thing. He could have written some law review articles AND had classrooms full of 1Ls who had to pretend to be enthralled by his every word.

Also, I still think the insurance people would have found out about that incident regardless of what Jimmy did, based on Kim and Mesa Verde Lady's conversation. Jimmy probably just sped the process up.

moist turtleneck posted:

I could definitely see Chuck pooping his pants in defiance

you poop your pants when you die, don't read too much into it

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

maskenfreiheit posted:

you poop your pants when you die, don't read too much into it

It is man's last defiance against nature

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Jimmy told Chuck in an earlier episode something along the lines of "you'll end up afraid and alone in a hospital." If we see any more of Chuck, I could see it being along those lines. It seems more tasteful to end Chuck's story with how they ended season 3, though. That can't be topped, and it's time for Jimmy's story to move on. A flash forward to Jimmy's bar license being reinstated would be great.

vermin posted:

Now that you mention it he does do that a lot. It speaks to how highly he thinks of himself.

Yes, but he seems to be the managing partner of his law firm.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

LLCoolJD posted:

Jimmy told Chuck in an earlier episode something along the lines of "you'll end up afraid and alone in a hospital." If we see any more of Chuck, I could see it being along those lines. It seems more tasteful to end Chuck's story with how they ended season 3, though. That can't be topped, and it's time for Jimmy's story to move on. A flash forward to Jimmy's bar license being reinstated would be great.

Yes, but he seems to be the managing partner of his law firm.

he's stuck in a hospital, suffering endlessly. his last words are "jimmy? jimmy?" but jimmy is dead...... hes saul now

hire me amc

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

And beyond that, Gilligan and Gould did a lot to solidify AMC's status as a channel with quality TV dramas. It might be worth it to AMC to allow them to finish the show on their own terms just to retain that relationship so that if/when they're shopping a new show around, they get the chance to buy it before FX or HBO does.

Well they didn't even let them finish Breaking Bad on their terms or Mad Men for Matt Weiner so I doubt that will stop them this time.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

It causes no harm to anyone and it might potentially help out someone in a desperate situation. It's a net good.

Actually, scratch that -- it might potentially help out someone in a desperate situation and it pisses off autistic sociopaths on the internet. It's actually very good

Is this the part where you are pretending that BCS is saving lives? Just save yourself the embarrassment by refraining from commenting further.

Opposing the implementation of suicide hotline #'s from being shoehorned into digital art forms isn't condoning suicide either, you pompous oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
if you have a thought on a suicide number being posted around a show that shows suicide, like, any thought at all, your a loving psychopath and should not be allowed near other people.

• Locked thread