Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

Um ok, what SHOULD game devs look like?

EDIT: I agree with what you're saying about devs but then you vault into old man//cloud territory immediately.

Oh I don't actually care how they look I just wanted to make a general jab at the stereotypical Seattle start-up weirdo with a pink mohawk and curled mustache because GAMERGATE was funny. I do sort of get annoyed with these artsy "livin' the dream makin' video games" hipsters who poo poo out terrible garbage because they seem to care more about narrative than gameplay. But hell they're just tryin' to make a buck like anyone else I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think games that let you design your own character are lazy and that 99% of character design in games is dull as gently caress. I don't think this is unique to games either. A lot of Japanese stuff comes close, but actually it turns out that most of the time their stuff is based on folklore.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Dark souls loving sucked

Its like a b-list sierra game had a lovechild with a lotr movie game

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

nigga crab pollock posted:

an autistic fedora neckbeard who has no clue how to design video games made the most successful video game of all time

quake and doom are foundational to the entirety of modern game design and were coded almost entirely by john carmack in what i assume to be a cocaine induced stupor. he banged that poo poo out, released it on deadline, figured it was too poo poo, and rewrote it from scratch again

John Carmack has been a driving force behind graphical innovations specifically for the purpose of making violent games more rad and continues to this day. Too many people don't realize that he is mostly responsible for how good it is to blow up demons and nazis and whatnot these days.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

sometimes carmacks' methodology is retarded though. IIRC the way Doom 3 drew shadows was ridiculous nonsense and is a technique almost no game or anything else employs. Same with id tech 5, RAGE and quake wars basically being unmoddable because of the fact mega-textures are so loving weird and require way too much computing time, and the final product looks like rear end regardless.

I remember being at the keynote where he was talking about id tech 5 and when he said modding was basically impossible in RAGE, that crowd booed him lol

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

basic hitler posted:

sometimes carmacks' methodology is retarded though. IIRC the way Doom 3 drew shadows was ridiculous nonsense and is a technique almost no game or anything else employs. Same with id tech 5, RAGE and quake wars basically being unmoddable because of the fact mega-textures are so loving weird and require way too much computing time, and the final product looks like rear end regardless.

I remember being at the keynote where he was talking about id tech 5 and when he said modding was basically impossible in RAGE, that crowd booed him lol

yea but even then he didn't give some BS excuse like "We want to tailor the game for the audience and we believe that modding will interfere with our vision" he was just like "it's going to be hard in this game". He's still a cool dude who likes modding. although now that's probably going to go away, I think the only AAA games that actively supports modding are fallout and skyrim.

online stuff has loving ruined a large section of gaming. we don't have cheat codes anymore because of achievements and unlocks, it's loving dumb. and now you can't even gently caress around in GTA V single player. with crazy mod stuff because of online stuff.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 21, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like how GTAV's story is split between 3 characters.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Tumble posted:

yea but even then he didn't give some BS excuse like "We want to tailor the game for the audience and we believe that modding will interfere with our vision" he was just like "it's going to be hard in this game". He's still a cool dude who likes modding. although now that's probably going to go away, I think the only AAA games that actively supports modding are fallout and skyrim.

online stuff has loving ruined a large section of gaming. we don't have cheat codes anymore because of achievements and unlocks, it's loving dumb. and now you can't even gently caress around in GTA V single player. with crazy mod stuff because of online stuff.

the reason skyrim still supports modding is because they have been iterating on the same engine since morrowind. like they have changed rendering engines and such but the core data structure of the game and the way it deals with entities, animations, NPC behavior and map loading has been basically unchanged. this is a point that people have actually argued with me over because they cannot believe it. not only are the engines functionally identical but people have datamined the executables and found basically the same function calls between them, either incremental updates to middleware or literally the same bits

the only reason modding even works is because the game engine loads all of its data from a handful of data files in a drat manifest and official addons are exactly the same thing as unofficial mods. the engine makes no discretion between them as it loads data at runtime, they don't even need to be in a specific order so long as the base game comes first.

you could see that as a good thing, and i would be tempted to say it is, but as a result of the absolute minimum amount of iteration necessary to produce the game they want, things like 'adding new animations' or 'new npc behaviors' require library modifications to the executable (or hilarious workaround spell scripting) because they aren't scripted, they are hard coded into the engine

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If its all the same engine then it gives me hope that someone will mod in the classic skills and attributes system into fallout 4, because whatever it is right now is loving garbage.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i haven't played 4 let alone modded it so i really can't say but it's likely that it's hard coded into the engine and there isn't much of an interface between the engine and the game data you can load.

that is probably going to be a trend moving forward with bethesda because the console implementations of modding don't give you the freedom to work around the engine limitations with DLLs and memory hacks so they pretty much only let you edit models, scripts, and map grids. if they are planning to keep the same codebase between versions moving forward and highlight modding as a feature they they're likely going to move a lot more functions engine-side and sanitize the poo poo out of what is user-facing to give a much 'cleaner' modding experience

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The gay golem was the best character in Dragon Age

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

The best character in all games is the super gay dude from enchanted arms

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fried Watermelon posted:

drat I'd forgotten him. this is actually a top drawer good opinion, friend.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Golems are always the best characters. My favourite character in NWN2 was the mute golem, for example. I upgraded it to disgusting levels and it had the best character development because all I could do was give it bigger and deadly swords instead of hands. In the end game you are betrayed by party members who you aren't friendly enough with and you get paired up with one other one.

Long story short, I was paired with my golem bro who brutally massacred them all while I looked on and did nothing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The golem in Origins attacked me on account of my authorizing the creation of a slave golem army so I had to kill her.

My bad.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Dennis System posted:

I forgot about the music, but the graphics just depict a few blocks, whose only function is as puzzle pieces. I don't consider those block art anymore than I consider individual Legos to be art.

haha look at this guy who sucks so bad he never saw the sweet pixel art of st basils cathedral or the rockets launching when you beat the highest normal difficulty level

git gud tetris scrub

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Meh, the Bioware writing obviously attracts some people. My friends like it. However, they are squee girls and thus the target audience. I'm a grumpy old man, so things like "cute," "hipster," and "squee" make me want to puke up my old man guts. I do appreciate that they tried to make Inquisition a bit like Dragon's Dogma. If only I could climb up a dragon and stab it in the face while surrounded by my sexy pawn waifus.

Jeza posted:

Golems are always the best characters. My favourite character in NWN2 was the mute golem, for example. I upgraded it to disgusting levels and it had the best character development because all I could do was give it bigger and deadly swords instead of hands. In the end game you are betrayed by party members who you aren't friendly enough with and you get paired up with one other one.

Long story short, I was paired with my golem bro who brutally massacred them all while I looked on and did nothing.

I loved this about NWN2. I wasn't expecting that twist in the end game, so I was a bit disappointed. However, my I always partied with my bros (Khelgar, Neeshka, and Elanee) and they loved me, so no harm no foul. I wish there was a NWN3.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

just big enough to not have too many cooks in the kitchen and a corporate culture that demands a quarterly profit over everything else

Tumble posted:

online stuff has loving ruined a large section of gaming. we don't have cheat codes anymore because of achievements and unlocks, it's loving dumb
achievements and unlocks never give you things like unlimited ammo, god mode, and big head mode. you always have to play the game "their way" because anything else is a violation of their artistic vision or whatever. thing is, those kinds of codes made things fun

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Sort of a mix between Richard Garriott and Guy Fieri

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Im of the opinion that games are in a really good place right now, you have so much choice and variety now and its cool. Theres games for people who like narrative and games for people who like gameplay.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Im of the opinion that games are in a really good place right now, you have so much choice and variety now and its cool. Theres games for people who like narrative and games for people who like gameplay.

But no option for people who want both except Saints Row

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

signalnoise posted:

But no option for people who want both except Saints Row

Ultimate general civil war has a better narrative than planescape torment or saints row.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Ultimate general civil war has a better narrative than planescape torment or saints row.

Would that be a narrative of northern aggression, my fuhrer?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

2D's Metroid controls have always kind-of sucked imo.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Maybe but the characters all suck and the dialogue is dated as hell

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Panzeh posted:

There's nothing like X-Wing or TIE Fighter out, so I disagree.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bogus Adventure posted:

There's nothing like X-Wing or TIE Fighter out, so I disagree.

Am I stupid for thinking EVE Valkyrie but as a TIE Fighter remake would immediately double VR gear sales or what.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

G.a.m.e.r.g.a.t.e.

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist
Sonic the Hedgehog never waits for Tails and doesn't care if he lives or dies. Sonic is a bully.

Knuckles is gay.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 are the only good Sonic games.

Tails sucks and his introduction doomed the franchise.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 are the only good Sonic games.

Tails sucks and his introduction doomed the franchise.

There was never a good sonic game. The juxtaposition between going fast and exploration only rewards you for doing one or the other, the gameplay was flawed down to the core.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

get that OUT of my face posted:

let's never forget this post by a bioware writer on their own forums

Barf
This was dragon age 2 though, right?

I loved Dragon age 3

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm honestly surprised that sonic is still around as a franchise. it's '90s as gently caress- mascot with "attitude," shoes based off of Michael Jordan's, and one in-game song that was recently confirmed to have been written by Michael Jackson. other platformer mascots like that haven't been seen in a while (looking at you, Gex)

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Barf
This was dragon age 2 though, right?

I loved Dragon age 3
yeah it was DA2

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 23, 2017

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

When Carmack was a teenager he got sent to a juvenile home for trying to break into his school's computer lab to gank the computers. He cut a hole in the window with thermite but got caught because one of his accomplices was too fat to fit through the hole.

This isn't really an opinion just a funny cool thing.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

hip check please posted:

When Carmack was a teenager he got sent to a juvenile home for trying to break into his school's computer lab to gank the computers. He cut a hole in the window with thermite but got caught because one of his accomplices was too fat to fit through the hole.

This isn't really an opinion just a funny cool thing.

More specifically he mixed thermite with vaseline so it could be applied to a window

lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Torquemada posted:

Am I stupid for thinking EVE Valkyrie but as a TIE Fighter remake would immediately double VR gear sales or what.

No, you're not. There is no good space combat sim on the market right now. Elite: Dangerous is the closest thing, but it's too empty to be fun. All I want is a drat Star Wars space combat sim where I can sit in the cockpit of a snub-nose fighter and fight in the Battle of Endor, weaving around capital ships and squads of TIEs while the Death Star is blowing up Rebel ships. Is that too much to ask?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
sonic adventure 2 was the last good sonic game and it was purely because of the soundtrack because the game is a bunch of mishmash poo poo that doesn't work. also the chao garden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx4DfHW0WtM

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
what started the trend of platform games having a whole bunch of minigames and very different playstyles because i understand it comes about because you need to switch up gameplay but it takes it to an extreme that ends up not working really well when you compare it to a game like, idk, rayman 2. you got plenty of variety but it was still like the same game and basic control scheme rather than 'here is a racing segment' 'here is a mech segment' 'here is a platform segment'

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

nigga crab pollock posted:

what started the trend of platform games having a whole bunch of minigames and very different playstyles because i understand it comes about because you need to switch up gameplay but it takes it to an extreme that ends up not working really well when you compare it to a game like, idk, rayman 2. you got plenty of variety but it was still like the same game and basic control scheme rather than 'here is a racing segment' 'here is a mech segment' 'here is a platform segment'

Perfect example of this is NiGHTS. Into Dreams was a fantastic game with I think 7 levels. Journey of Dreams had the same number of stages that played like the original, which was fine to have more of the same, but you only got to play those stages like once every hour and a half of gameplay or some poo poo because it had so many states that were not that style. You had to control a raft as it went downstream or avoid falling bombs or some poo poo. I only wanted to play the ones I bought the game for, the aerial ballet stuff. I never finished it because all the extras stages made it tedious. Horse poo poo IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Super Mario 3 did it, but it was maybe a little less jarring than some that came later (like sonic 2's weird rotating nightmare levels).