Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I finally have my BLM at 52 after resubbing for the first time in 3 years, and I've been doing the MSQ and levelling just fine. However I also have a WAR at 50 I'd like to level later on, and at some point AST, MCN and SAM to complete the order of Tank, Melee, Ranged Physical, Ranged Magical and Healer. Is spamming FATES still the fastest way to level or did they add a better way?

And does it change post 50 or 60?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Leal posted:

There are 3 ways to respond in SB content:

1: The "...." Squall response

2: The response that makes you punch your hand into your fist

3: Total clown option

Does anyone know what response you get if (post-70 dungeon spoilers) you tell Zenos you want to be friends?

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Does anyone know what response you get if (post-70 dungeon spoilers) you tell Zenos you want to be friends?

End of 70 MSQ spoiler He laughs at you, asks if we can truly let bygones be bygones at this point, then says we both knew how this was going to end from the moment it began.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Concurred posted:

I finally have my BLM at 52 after resubbing for the first time in 3 years, and I've been doing the MSQ and levelling just fine. However I also have a WAR at 50 I'd like to level later on, and at some point AST, MCN and SAM to complete the order of Tank, Melee, Ranged Physical, Ranged Magical and Healer. Is spamming FATES still the fastest way to level or did they add a better way?

Im no expert but I think palace of the dead is your best bet for levelling

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Concurred posted:

Palace of the Dead 51-60 is the beats out fate grinding as a way to get to 60. It will get just as boring as FATE spam after some time, but I find it easier to watch netflix while doing. It's particularly good as DPS since it has no role requirements so you almost always get an instant queue.

Go to Gridania and do the quest "the house death built" or something to that extent to unlock POTD. (Quests that unlock stuff are now blue with a plus sign) It has a separate levelling system so you can go in as any class and you do 10 floors at a time. Once you reach floor 50 you'll be able to start at that point on future runs. 51-60 is the agreed upon best set of levels for grinding xp.

e: Another option for 50-60 on alts is to do the Heavensward beast tribes. (Vath and Vanu Vanu) I think you need to be 60 to unlock them but they scale to your level between 50 and 60, both in difficulty and xp reward, so they're a decent way to get some xp for jobs in that range.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 21, 2017

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'm starting over coming back, just wanted to double check though. Am I still going to be able to have my fat chocobo mount? Wasn't sure if that was a 1 time character thing or account wide.

It's kind of the biggest reason I want to play this game again, lol

Also long shot: Does this game have cross-realm play for dungeons and stuff like WoW?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pvp is supposed to be good leveling now too, though I'm a little unclear if that's just with the roulette daily bonus, or if you can just grind it

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Pvp is supposed to be good leveling now too, though I'm a little unclear if that's just with the roulette daily bonus, or if you can just grind it

Shatter at least seems to net about 12% of a level per match at 60+ from my friends claims. Sub-60 it's less xp than PotD for a similar amount of time. Also you get that xp win or lose, at least for now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
But if you level in PotD you don't get the satisfaction of knowing you're making other people salty.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I realized last night that Hancock in Kugane looks like he was modeled after Aizen from Bleach.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Razzled posted:

I'm starting over coming back, just wanted to double check though. Am I still going to be able to have my fat chocobo mount? Wasn't sure if that was a 1 time character thing or account wide.

It's kind of the biggest reason I want to play this game again, lol

Also long shot: Does this game have cross-realm play for dungeons and stuff like WoW?

You'll have your chocobo mailed to you and it has a cross-realm party finder for instanced content within a data center (there are two data centers in NA for example)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

There is no bonus for the roulette. Shatter seems to be a flat 1/8 of a level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

OWLS! posted:

RDMs hopping off of Titan HM's platform and then saying "I was only casting" is my new favorite thing ever.

Training myself not to hit Displacement in fights where you can go off the edge is going to be a real challenge.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

hagie posted:

I realized last night that Hancock in Kugane looks like he was modeled after Aizen from Bleach.

The comparison I keep hearing is Urahara, and apparently the JP voice actor is doing an impression of him if it's not the guy himself.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

YamataNoOrochi posted:

End of 70 MSQ spoiler He laughs at you, asks if we can truly let bygones be bygones at this point, then says we both knew how this was going to end from the moment it began.

the most tsundere of villians

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

unseenlibrarian posted:

The comparison I keep hearing is Urahara, and apparently the JP voice actor is doing an impression of him if it's not the guy himself.

Kisuke is a lot more jokey, Hancock is just smarm.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Holyshoot posted:

When our characters move their mouth is it just nonsensical moving for the sakes of moving or is that them speaking Japanese?

It's to allow you to infer your character saying whatever you imagine to fit best. That is in fact generally the purpose of silent protagonists in JRPGs. To allow the player to headcanon whatever they want.

I think it's a dumb convention but FF14 does it passably so whatevs.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I think it's more like 1/12 or so by 69, but still pretty decent. I did half of the last two levels in pvp because I completely burned out on side questing.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blattdorf posted:

My problem with Summoner is that it now feels more like early Arcanist with benefits. Sure, it has all these skills, pets got changed a little, and I understand the responses, but my point is that mechanically it's all uninteresting. I didn't want to say this without bringing something to table (the DWT stuff honestly was terrible) to give some idea of what I meant.

Some kind of mix up is in order in the future, that's for sure.

I've wanted to try Archer for a while now, so at least I'm now strongly motivated to do so after I finish MSQ.

Personally I love dwt but yeah there isn't anything going on the the 45 (44 now) seconds of every minute you spend out of it. This is just a theory but I believe that the major split of smn and sch is going to allow for more interesting things in 5.0.

It's too late for the devs to do anything crazy with summoner in SB, it's probably in a good place DPS-wise.

And you should absolutely give bard a shot, I'm moving to it after I finish leveling RDM. I think it will be right up your alley since you seem to like having a variety of rotation mechanics to switch between.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh. I haven't actually done the PVP yet (tried to last night, got 90kd) so I just assumed the roulette worked like all the others.

So it sounds like shatter is the one to grind and to ignore the other two then? I know nothing about how any of these game modes work so I look forward to making my team salty

I'll also join the chorus of people digging the PVP changes. RDM has like, one button that actually costs mana, it looks like?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

A little tip for Bard in Level 50 content, since Barrage allows crits now saving it for a Straighter Shot proc allows a guaranteed triple crit. It's significantly more damage than just using Barrage on Heavy Shot before you have access to Empyreal Arrow. :science:

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

unseenlibrarian posted:

I can see that one. Ditch the glasses, get a bucket hat.

Maybe an amalgamation of both

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Shatter is the fastest and best pvp mode, yes. Capture is alright but a lot slower. Just spam shatter and learn how to pvp with your class

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh. I haven't actually done the PVP yet (tried to last night, got 90kd) so I just assumed the roulette worked like all the others.

So it sounds like shatter is the one to grind and to ignore the other two then? I know nothing about how any of these game modes work so I look forward to making my team salty

I'll also join the chorus of people digging the PVP changes. RDM has like, one button that actually costs mana, it looks like?

The roulette will likely dump you into shatter and that's the one most people do. The other two are okay.

Fields of Glory (Shatter) is all about killing ice, as they randomly pop up across the map.

Seal Rock (Seize) is a king of the hill thing where you capture and guard nodes for points, but the nodes expire so you constantly need to find new ones.

I've only done Borderlands Ruins (Secure) once, but if I remember right there's an element of base capture + there's a killing drones that pop up thing to get points.

In the meantime, you kill other players to rob them of points as well.

Seal Rock also has winning achievements that grant some gear.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 21, 2017

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's to allow you to infer your character saying whatever you imagine to fit best. That is in fact generally the purpose of silent protagonists in JRPGs. To allow the player to headcanon whatever they want.

I think it's a dumb convention but FF14 does it passably so whatevs.

I don't mind it. Was just curious.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The other factor is probably to save them for having to have multiple voice actors for the player character. Even beyond doing one for male and female, I'd imagine players would want a more the one option since it'd probably be kind of hard to find a voice that suits all the races at once.

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

Leofish posted:

The roulette will likely dump you into shatter and that's the one most people do. The other two are okay.

Fields of Glory (Shatter) is all about killing ice, as they randomly pop up across the map.

Seal Rock (Seize) is a king of the hill thing where you capture and guard nodes for points, but the nodes expire so you constantly need to find new ones.

I've only done Borderlands Ruins (Secure) once, but if I remember right there's an element of base capture + there's a killing drones that pop up thing to get points.

In the meantime, you kill other players to rob them of points as well.

Seal Rock also has winning achievements that grant some gear.

Yoooooo what coat is that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Got the trial up and running, but I see Excalibur is locked. Am I likely to be able to create a character there early in the morning, or wait until the new expansion rush dies down?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Should be possible early in the morning right after downtime.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cu Chulainn posted:

I think it's called the Field Commander's coat. You can find it under the achievements tab for Frontlines. I forget how many matches you need to win for the coat, but it's at least 50. I prefer Seal Rock over shatter so it's no big deal to me.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Cu Chulainn posted:

field commander's coat, you get the full set for winning...i think 100 frontlines?

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I think it's called the Field Commander's coat. You can find it under the achievements tab for Frontlines. I forget how many matches you need to win for the coat, but it's at least 50. I prefer Seal Rock over shatter so it's no big deal to me.

Much appreciated. 100 wins isn't going to be too much fun to get but oh well. Too bad it's not dyeable

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Cu Chulainn posted:

Field Commander set is granted through five achievements for first place victories in Seal Rock. It goes Head -> Feet -> Gloves -> Legs -> Body, for 1 -> 10 -> 30 -> 50 -> 100 victories respectively.

All the pieces are good and work well as a set or matched with other things, although 100 victories will obviously take you awhile. Hopefully there will be more interest in Seal Rock now with the PvP changes; I have always liked it a lot better then Shatter.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I finally got through the second dungeon and it was great. I'm really loving the story so far and the whole expansion to be honest. The environments are so much better looking than anything HW had (sorry, but snow ridden hell holes filled with catholic elves aren't that fun).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cu Chulainn posted:

Much appreciated. 100 wins isn't going to be too much fun to get but oh well. Too bad it's not dyeable

It can be fun but yeah you can't hyper focus on cheevo progress. It's gonna take time period.

Overhauled PvP is quite good and fun I recommend giving it a shot.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I returned for SB, and in general I'm a super casual FFXIV player. I literally only have ever leveled SCH to 60, and I think maybe BRD to 33-ish.

I'm currently sitting at 56 on RDM and plan to eventually level AST. If I have never been in PotD is it worth it for me to go through the motions of unlocking stuff in there? Or should i stick to FATEs and PvP? I also haven't ever done PvP.

I haven't done 90% of the content in this game. I also have hats turned off on my character.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Leal posted:

There are 3 ways to respond in SB content:

1: The "...." Squall response

The silent protagonist voice (aka '...') is prevalent throughout almost 90% of all dialogue choices from even way back in ARR, and it's the best if you like sticking with the stoic 'force of nature' character. Has anyone else done the same thing as me and pick the silent choice every time when it's possible? It's pretty fun, though sometimes the choice leads to something different than I was expecting: I would expect '...' to always imply stoic silence, but sometimes they twist it to imply sadness, mistrust, or confusion.

My favorite use of the '...' choice has to be in HW, when everyone is done giving their passionate speeches to the dragons to enlist their help. When the dragon turns to you, expecting another load of honeyed words, your silence is regarded as a welcome sign of strength and confidence. I'm paraphrasing, but it's something like: "I can see from your eyes that you know actions speak louder than words. You look ready to march forward without my help and take care of everything yourself, and I believe you could just do that if you felt like it.'

And speaking of stoic, I do love how in ARR they outright comment on how they're not sure why they bother even asking you to help sometimes, as you just nod to everything they say. Alphinaud wishes he could have a million of you to throw at every problem in existence.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

amazeballs posted:

I returned for SB, and in general I'm a super casual FFXIV player. I literally only have ever leveled SCH to 60, and I think maybe BRD to 33-ish.

I'm currently sitting at 56 on RDM and plan to eventually level AST. If I have never been in PotD is it worth it for me to go through the motions of unlocking stuff in there? Or should i stick to FATEs and PvP? I also haven't ever done PvP.

I haven't done 90% of the content in this game. I also have hats turned off on my character.

PotD is absolutely worth it for leveling alt classes, if only because it also gives you a preview of all of their abilities before you bother to level them "for real". You can learn from that. It's also better EXP than PvP up until 60.

Not everyone does, but you can.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
For PvPing, it's a really good idea to bring others along with you and use discord, PSN chat, whatever you have available. You can only do the roulette solo, but all you're missing out on is some wolf marks and progress towards PvP Rank(which is currently meaningless, I believe.) Being able to coordinate easily with just one other person is a huge shift towards succeeding, and the more you bring with you, the larger it is.

Experience earned is a static amount regardless of placing position. So if that's all you're after then don't sweat it none. But rolling people over with friends and bringing in the wolf marks to pick up glamour sets makes the time much more enjoyable.

For Shatter specifically, Ice is all well and good, but it can also provide you with the critical moments you need to easily break a team of it's Battle Highs and Battle Fevers while their alliance are busy with the big meaty training dummy objectives. Players with Highs and Fevers carry with them larger point penalties for dying and are absolutely worth defeating when you get the chances to, as well as reducing their alliances damage output on the ice by removing those buffs.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FutureCop posted:

The silent protagonist voice (aka '...') is prevalent throughout almost 90% of all dialogue choices from even way back in ARR, and it's the best if you like sticking with the stoic 'force of nature' character. Has anyone else done the same thing as me and pick the silent choice every time when it's possible? It's pretty fun, though sometimes the choice leads to something different than I was expecting: I would expect '...' to always imply stoic silence, but sometimes they twist it to imply sadness, mistrust, or confusion.

My favorite use of the '...' choice has to be in HW, when everyone is done giving their passionate speeches to the dragons to enlist their help. When the dragon turns to you, expecting another load of honeyed words, your silence is regarded as a welcome sign of strength and confidence. I'm paraphrasing, but it's something like: "I can see from your eyes that you know actions speak louder than words. You look ready to march forward without my help and take care of everything yourself, and I believe you could just do that if you felt like it.'

And speaking of stoic, I do love how in ARR they outright comment on how they're not sure why they bother even asking you to help sometimes, as you just nod to everything they say. Alphinaud wishes he could have a million of you to throw at every problem in existence.

There's a good gag involving that last spoiler in SB at least.