Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Nicalis has no other games

BoI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Just chiming in to Zeldachat to say that I think LBW was too easy and I didn't like the "rent" all the items at the beginning and then literally never die the whole time mechanic.

Me neither

So I just bought them for their ridiculously cheap prices

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm also going to pay $30 for 1001 Spikes and y'all can't stop me

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Nicalis only has two games

DraegonX
Mar 19, 2009
I just bought a Switch. Should I taste the BoTW cartridge?

Seriously, though. What are the recommendations for accessories (charger/case/screen protector)? I checked the OP but nothing was mentioned there.

DraegonX fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 21, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

DraegonX posted:

I just bought a Switch. Should I taste the BoTW cartridge?

Seriously, though. What are the recommendations for accessories (charger/case/screen protector)? I checked the OP but nothing was mentioned there.

I have the Ortz case and a glass screen protector.

Case
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NFKBP7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_CbRszbN9WT3YJ

Protector
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ASPNV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1bRszbZWJ68EV

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

DraegonX posted:

I've used these on multiple 4+ hour flights and nothing has exploded and my switch didn't run out of power:

Cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8GU2OC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Power Bank
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01422TC14/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bef posted:

Did you play on hero mode though. Also m64 is better than galaxy

Hero mode was an improvement but I didn't want to play the whole game a second time since I didn't love the first time enough. Someday. I still don't like the frontloading of all the dungeon items, though.

Also, as I said, M64 was more important than galaxy, and you are welcome to think it's better, but Galaxy did almost everything M64 did and improved upon it. It was nothing like that first feeling of going 3D, of course, but that is a timeline-of-life issue. As a game, Galaxy>M64.

I hope SMO is as much of a step up from Sunshine and 64 as BotW was from SS, TP, and OoT.

(note just to be hyper-clear to goons that all games mentioned in this post are good games - no on is saying they are bad)

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Having bought ARMS, I now actually get the motion controls and might actually play it with them most of the time.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

aware of dog posted:

Should I get Mario Kart 8DX even if I don't have friends to play it with

If you have an internet connection, you can play it with your goon friends right here in this thread!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm so psyched for Rogue Trooper. Have they said if it's getting a physical release?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Olivil posted:

Where's my Link's Awakening remake?

i think it got cancelled. the trailer for it isn't up anymore as far as i can tell. just reactions and first look types of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70BmyiYxy2c

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
look at those arms in japan

Phwoar

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dang also lol poor KoF.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Bloop posted:

Also, as I said, M64 was more important than galaxy, and you are welcome to think it's better, but Galaxy did almost everything M64 did and improved upon it. It was nothing like that first feeling of going 3D, of course, but that is a timeline-of-life issue. As a game, Galaxy>M64.

Both were amazing games but 64 was better because it wasn't as linear as Galaxy. Obviously, my opinion.

Also, I'm sure Nintendo will continue to pump out traditional Zelda's and revolutionary Zelda's in the coming years. Just as they do with the Mario series, it still gets traditional platformers as well as the occasional 3D sandbox that isn't really like anything else.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mace Bacon posted:

Having bought ARMS, I now actually get the motion controls and might actually play it with them most of the time.

I was in the same mindset until I got to rank 4 and kept losing to people online. I switched to Pro controller and am probably never looking back.

Also kinda nice to see Tekken 7 selling well. I was a huge fan back in the Tag Tournament days and haven't really played it at all since... maybe I'll pick it up.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Both were amazing games but 64 was better because it wasn't as linear as Galaxy. Obviously, my opinion.

This and how tight the controls are in m64 make it for me. Something about that engine they used made it feel really good to jump everywhere in, Galaxy games didn't feel that way for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

re: Cave Story

EpicNemesis posted:

I'm in the same boat. Everyone keeps gushing about the game but I can't bring myself to buy a game for double the price for "reasons" and I have no interest in playing it on my PC, so my only option is to wait until it drops to 15.

Unless the remake(s) are radically different from the original, then yeah I'd pay $15 at the absolute max. It's a pretty good game and it would have been worth that when it came out 15 years ago when good indie games weren't that common and "metroidvania" wasn't a term, but I feel like anyone who paid full price for it now to play it for the first time would probably be disappointed.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The camera in Galaxy was worse than I ever heard or remembered 64 being. I had to quit Galaxy because it was so bad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

The camera in Galaxy was worse than I ever heard or remembered 64 being. I had to quit Galaxy because it was so bad.

:psyduck:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Galaxy was an entirely guided experience. I don't know how having issues with the camera would be possible, it's entirely scripted and level geometry never gets in its way.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The one thing I miss from 64 is themed worlds but I'd rather have Galaxy's emphasis on gameplay anyway

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

raditts posted:

Unless the remake(s) are radically different from the original, then yeah I'd pay $15 at the absolute max. It's a pretty good game and it would have been worth that when it came out 15 years ago when good indie games weren't that common and "metroidvania" wasn't a term, but I feel like anyone who paid full price for it now to play it for the first time would probably be disappointed.

Compared to the original, it has optional high-res graphics that look pretty bad and a new translation where Balrog no longer says "huzzah".

I'm still thinking about getting it just to have a physical copy of Cave Story, though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Saying Galaxy did everything M64 did but better is ludicrous since it doesn't do AT ALL the one thing that M64 is known for and pioneered: 3D open world gaming. Galaxy is closer in concept to Super Mario 3D World than M64. Odyssey is continuing along the 3D open world gaming path of M64 and Sunshine.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Nicalis only has two games

This is a good thing. Nicalis should not be allowed to have games

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

Saying Galaxy did everything M64 did but better is ludicrous since it doesn't do AT ALL the one thing that M64 is known for and pioneered: 3D open world gaming. Galaxy is closer in concept to Super Mario 3D World than M64. Odyssey is continuing along the 3D open world gaming path of M64 and Sunshine.

True that it goes M64 -> Sunshine -> Odyssey (apparently) in terms of spiritual successors. The new game looks like a clear progression on that path.

Game mechanically and visually though, Galaxy 1&2 and 3DW are in that list too. Odyssey's visual and mechanical progression obviously considers them, as well.

I'll cop to my claim being unclear and unfairly general because I agree that the open-worldness is part of the feel of M64 and Sunshine that galaxy didn't really have. That said, it was mostly an illusion and 64 is only slightly less gated than Galaxy.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Hero mode was an improvement but I didn't want to play the whole game a second time since I didn't love the first time enough. Someday. I still don't like the frontloading of all the dungeon items, though.

I was ok with the frontloading, but I didn't like how each dungeon was mostly "solve every puzzle with a single item". I understand it was there to prevent people from having to rent every item all the time if they were bad and died a lot... But I would have preferred more variety within dungeons.

Still loved the game and the puzzle design especially, though. So maybe it wasn't a bad choice.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

raditts posted:

I thought it added two player, but apparently that's coming in an update later. And knowing Nicalis, it'll be delayed and/or buggy.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Confession time

I never played Super Mario Galaxy 2

:rip:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same. Or the first one

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you like Mario or platformers at all jeezus get to it

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Infinitum posted:

Confession time

I never played Super Mario Galaxy 2

:rip:

The first one was better, but 2 was definitely still really, really good.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Is it on Switch? No? Then I can't play it

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Rufio posted:

Is it on Switch? No? Then I can't play it

Same but Super Mario World

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The worst part about :filez: old games later is that you'll need a Wiimote for it

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Mario Galaxy made me feel like a child. It was quite inspiring.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Infinitum posted:

The worst part about :filez: old games later is that you'll need a Wiimote for it

The worst thing is that you don't have wiimotes already :colbert:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The Galaxy games are beyond stellar and probably my favorite 3D Mario games, which is why I don't like the Mario 3D World formula very much as it felt limiting and too linear. Odyssey is going to scratch the open Mario world itch extremely well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I did not know there was a Super Mario Galaxy 2 until today thanks to this thread

• Locked thread