Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Mentat Radnor posted:

My only significant recommendation is to take Power Charge on Crit out of your 6-link and put it in your Orb of Storms links in place of Flame Dash (who needs that when you have whirl?). In PCoC's place should be Cold Penetration, or if you don't want to recolor your 4-off chest, Crit Damage support. You're essentially running a 5L even though you have a 6L, leaving a lot of damage on the table.

Good point. I put the PCoC on the Orb of Storms, and tried out a Crit Damage (good) but I also tried out a Phys to Lightning support, which is really good since it's scaled by all your +phys/+WED gear, and also it gives you shock on crit! Which is basically a free crit damage gem. If I could balance my resists for Wise Oak that'd be real hot, I think

e: the tradeoff is less penetration on bosses which is the real hard part of fblades anyways. hrmm

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Jinnigan posted:

Good point. I put the PCoC on the Orb of Storms, and tried out a Crit Damage (good) but I also tried out a Phys to Lightning support, which is really good since it's scaled by all your +phys/+WED gear, and also it gives you shock on crit! Which is basically a free crit damage gem. If I could balance my resists for Wise Oak that'd be real hot, I think

e: the tradeoff is less penetration on bosses which is the real hard part of fblades anyways. hrmm

So the way conversion works is that you can only have 100% total conversion, which you already have from Frost Blades (60% phys to cold) plus the passive tree (Winter Spirit and the node before it for 40% phys to cold). While Phys to Lightning does give you some phys damage as extra lightning damage, the main reason to use it is for conversion. In this case, that main part of the gem just changes some of your cold conversion to lightning conversion instead.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Damage_conversion#Example_calculation

Since you now have 150% conversion, the game scales the values of 100% cold and 50% lightning down to fit 100%, so you're dealing 67% cold and 33% lightning before PtoL's "phys as extra lightning," so it will be closer to 50% lightning in practice. That means your Winter Spirit cold conversion nodes on the tree are essentially only giving you a slightly higher ratio of cold:lightning, and if you dropped them you would still have full ele conversion and 3 extra passives to play with. Either way, you're losing Cold damage by using Phys to Lightning and therefore losing penetration on your single-target from the threshold jewels like you mention, but gaining the ability to shock and some extra lightning damage on top.

If you want to keep using phys to lightning then it would be efficient to drop those 3 nodes and put them into something useful like a jewel socket, or head towards Claws of the Magpie for good phys damage and crazy attack speed. Also, Vessel of Vinktar flask instead of the Atziri flask is a must-have item if you're dealing half lightning damage, especially on a Raider who is immune to the self-shock downside! The leech is immense, as is the guaranteed shock on nearby targets.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 21, 2017

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
The best part of Lab is your first time finding Argus when you're underleveled.

Good dog. :3:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

loving with mines fort the first time, on a character I made last night. Cluster mines linked to glacial cascade is pretty fun. So far, both that and arc seem to be effective. Using a tremor rod, since it is dirt cheap and useful when you are poor.

Edit: Why do I have little floating skulls that explode with the sound of a car backfiring?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 21, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Glove enchantment?

Summon Raging Spirit with Minion Instability is the only other thing I can think of, but you'd probably wouldn't be asking that question of it was that.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Huh, I guess it is the gloves. I just did normal lab recently. "Cast word of the grave when your skills or minions kill.". I guess that means explody car-backfiring skulls.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Filthy Monkey posted:

loving with mines fort the first time, on a character I made last night. Cluster mines linked to glacial cascade is pretty fun. So far, both that and arc seem to be effective. Using a tremor rod, since it is dirt cheap and useful when you are poor.

Edit: Why do I have little floating skulls that explode with the sound of a car backfiring?

Glacial cascade mines are hilarious. Using that tremor rod you become one of the very trollish pvp builds and have stupid amounts of fun.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Some people in beta have been messing around with GMP-minefield tornado shot with coated shrapnel (poison on hit with mines/trap). So many poison stacks, so fast.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Some people in beta have been messing around with GMP-minefield tornado shot with coated shrapnel (poison on hit with mines/trap). So many poison stacks, so fast.

This also works with Doomfletch Prism, you get silly amounts of upfront damage instead.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I did the Endless Ledge thing. I didn't see the chest. I was instantly swarmed by skeletons and assumed this was an ironman thing and punched a skeleton to get a weapon and went on for 16 levels, me and the decoy totem I found... :negative:

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

...Are they really nerfing DoT damage again? I thought it was undertuned already, was then new keystone really that good?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mince Pieface posted:

...Are they really nerfing DoT damage again? I thought it was undertuned already, was then new keystone really that good?

I wouldn't say good but you really can't build a functioning poison or ignite build without it.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

I wouldn't say good but you really can't build a functioning poison or ignite build without it.

Doesn't really sound like you'll be able to build one with it now, either. I really don't understand their thought processes here.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I was going to build a Terminus Est flicker assassin next beta round but I will probably skip that now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I was going to build a Terminus Est flicker assassin next beta round but I will probably skip that now.

You can still get half a million dps out of it without too much trouble. Half as good as it was but still playable, at least. Oroflicker is probably better, tho.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 22, 2017

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

All these aoe changes nerfs...

Does this mean my plan to roll a pizzablast or RF totem for the 3.0 launch to help gear up a "real" build and help level newbie friends is dead? Bleh.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

sushibandit posted:

Does this mean my plan to roll a pizzablast or RF totem for the 3.0 launch to help gear up a "real" build and help level newbie friends is dead? Bleh.

I tested out RF totems on beta and ran it to level 70. It's still a really good 'first' build in terms of clear speed and safety and it's what I intend to use to fund my more exotic characters.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

sushibandit posted:

did beta nerf aoe even more? because pizzablast is still top tier for first build right now

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I tested out RF totems on beta and ran it to level 70. It's still a really good 'first' build in terms of clear speed and safety and it's what I intend to use to fund my more exotic characters.

I've never done an RF totem. Might try that as my next character. Any build you recommend?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Is RF totems more viable than selfcast RF as a league starter? I don't even know what you need as items besides the shield.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elentor posted:

I've never done an RF totem. Might try that as my next character. Any build you recommend?

This one: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1904823

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Good to know I can still roll with it as planned. Hadn't updated to the beta client yet to test it out myself.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

I build this for HC, but this applies to SC just as well.

Marauder is fantastic and safe. I do a kinda awkward thing where I head straight to AB after grabbing some life and burning damage. I generally feel safe as long as I can get here before Malachi on normal (which is very likely). After that, you go straight for the constitution life ring and start picking up %Health everywhere. You'll have enough damage to deal with pretty much anything in leveling content so just taking life is ideal. For leveling, I'll take Diamond Skin unless I get pretty lucky with gear. Before you get Fire Immune totems, totem Fire Res is a big deal and as such, I'll run Purity of Fire until then. Take the Chieftain ascendency when that comes up and head to fire immune totems. I play this build with massive Life Regen and run things like Forbidden Taste. The point of this build is to be able to farm Uber Lab safely to fund my other characters, so there are considerations for that built into the character.

I have my 3.0 plan for RF totems built out entirely in path of building. I'll post it when I get home.

Eezee posted:

Is RF totems more viable than selfcast RF as a league starter? I don't even know what you need as items besides the shield.

You need Life and Resistances to start mapping up through T10 - The gear requirements are super easy to meet as you truly require zero uniques.

This is a really good guide, if a bit dated (since it's 2.6 duh). Most notably, well-rolled Scepters are probably better in 3.0 than Doedre's. I'm not saying I'm better than this, but I think if you are going to do the 'purpose built RF spec for farming for other characters', Life Regen is superior for Uber Lab farming.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 23, 2017

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
I could still see LL guardian RF as a cheap league starter depending on how much dots get changed. You never really needed high es on your gear to get over 10k es; just a high mana pool. Should be able to clear maps pretty well with the buffed burning support.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
Does the "take increased elemental damage" for Augury of Penitence work for Righteous Fire?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yes. Why wouldn't it? RF is still elemental damage.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 23, 2017

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
I am too dumb to figure out how to activate cruel lab in the beta. I completed normal lab (quest completed, ascendancy point gained) and the three trials for cruel appear to be the same 3 I did for normal, but they say not completed. What do?

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 24, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

That sounds like something's bugged, assuming you did actually tap on the tab at the end of the trial like the others. Cruel lab is definitely do-able, as I have done it.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
They're in the same areas but in act 6 and 7. So act 6 prison for the first one for cruel, not act 1.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Budgie posted:

They're in the same areas but in act 6 and 7. So act 6 prison for the first one for cruel, not act 1.

Ahhh, thanks. That was not made clear anywhere (shocking, I know).

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

i can still taste him posted:

Ahhh, thanks. That was not made clear anywhere (shocking, I know).

Path of Exile: Fall of Oriath. That was not made clear anywhere

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Mr. Whale posted:

I could still see LL guardian RF as a cheap league starter depending on how much dots get changed. You never really needed high es on your gear to get over 10k es; just a high mana pool. Should be able to clear maps pretty well with the buffed burning support.

Are you fine with a Solaris? If you have to get a Shavs to get to mid tier maps it's a bit expensive for a league starter.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Eezee posted:

Are you fine with a Solaris? If you have to get a Shavs to get to mid tier maps it's a bit expensive for a league starter.

Without a chest piece, amulet, or rings on, and a rise of the phoenix shield, my guardian just hits 8k es. I would say you would be fine with solaris but a shavs is much better.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Just use the low life flask, easy and get some fat (well maybe not anymore) chest es

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What does an Inquisitor life crit tree look like? I'm trying to put together a frost blades or ice shot or something tree for Inquisitor but I really have no idea. It looks pretty bad, tbh. Is this just a bad/impossible concept?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Now that MoM absorbs the RF degen can you pull off some kind of LL RF Guardian by using Pledge/Cloak?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

What does an Inquisitor life crit tree look like? I'm trying to put together a frost blades or ice shot or something tree for Inquisitor but I really have no idea. It looks pretty bad, tbh. Is this just a bad/impossible concept?

It looks worse than doing the same thing with Pathfinder and just stacking pen.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

getting in on this SSF hardcore mayhem action, should be interesting.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm gonna try to get in on the double dipping action before 3.0 hits.

Is there any room in the guild for: Meat_Pizzagate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This Mayhem race :stare:

Started one for the first time just to see what the hell is up with it and it's just insane

• Locked thread