Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Just gonna borrow this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Sandpuppy posted:

JRRose rubs his hands in eager anticipation of a tragedy in OhiO.

Good work is in high demand.

AAARGH THESE PEOPLE ARE THE ANTAGONISTS OF THE PLAY THEY ARE BAD PEOPLE FUUUCK

quote:

*ahem*... Kim Jong Un is...BAD. Pulitzer, please.
Also this is wonderfully ironic because Un is 100% for sure smarter than Ramirez is, having been educated in an elite private Swiss school and what not. He's evil, he's not insane.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Not only is this a good cartoon, it seems tailor made for this thread!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lmao :suicide:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

"Everyone I hate are the same people."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Zesty posted:

"Everyone I hate are the same people."

So let me get this straight, in the span of a week, people got former rioters to channel their anger into theater? Shouldn't this be a good thing or does the cartoonist actually want violence?

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Sandpuppy posted:

Wait, do they think everyone was in shakespeare's time but they just threw trump in for no reason? Do they not realize it's being set in modern times and therefore has the modern President? I can't tell when people are intentionally missing the point or if they're just too dumb to know they're missing it.

And I just realized that last sentence kind of sums up my feelings to a lot of cartoonists on here.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I don't get how you can see "antifa" as the enemy without also realizing that you are rooting for the "fa"

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

They're going to be bringing up this Shakespeare poo poo for the remainder of Trump's term, aren't they.

NEWS ITEM: Trump legitimately says a racial slur to a foreign prime minister
MCCOY: Yeah, but look at this Shakespearean actor being a meanie

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

So let me get this straight, in the span of a week, people got former rioters to channel their anger into theater? Shouldn't this be a good thing or does the cartoonist actually want violence?

They started jeteing and stopped jeterrorizing us

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Gum posted:

"We held on to a deep red district by our fingertips- fear us"?

I honestly don't see it

On the other hand, there's also the lefties who are crowing "Ossoff would have won if only he'd done things my way!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Skippy Granola posted:

I don't get how you can see "antifa" as the enemy without also realizing that you are rooting for the "fa"

Yes, they want to be part of a great fascist regime where they are powerful and their enemies are brutalized. If the dow goes up who cares how many poors suffer, they're poors.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Yes, they want to be part of a great fascist regime where they are powerful and their enemies are brutalized. If the dow goes up who cares how many poors suffer, they're poors.

But...

Fascism is... bad?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sandpuppy posted:

Guys I'm starting to think the right in America doesn't care about facts or context.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Skippy Granola posted:

Really the sentiment seems to be more "Calling yourself something doesn't mean you are that thing". Like how the various countries called People's Republic of X which are neither of the people nor republics. That and people not realizing that "Antifa" is "Anti-Fa", most people I hear pronounce it more "An-tifa" and may not make the connection to anti-fascism.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jurgan posted:

On the other hand, there's also the lefties who are crowing "Ossoff would have won if only he'd done things my way!"

hot take: Jon Ossoff was not a good candidate, and I wish he'd won but I was never optimistic

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

loquacius posted:

hot take: Jon Ossoff was not a good candidate, and I wish he'd won but I was never optimistic

I mean yeah but there's no shortage of people acting like a full communism now candidate would've cleaned up in a district full of FYGM suburbanites.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I mean yeah but there's no shortage of people acting like a full communism now candidate would've cleaned up in a district full of FYGM suburbanites.

Burn the centrist!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Eh, it'd be nice to see someone actually run on a leftist platform and fail, instead of the usual nobody's-happy compromises that also fail. I think the idea of moderation is out the window after 2016.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Skippy Granola posted:

But...

Fascism is... bad?

Skippy, we have people gleefully crafting AHCA behind obvious closed doors until they just stamp it out and gently caress people raw and hard for years to come. Evil is in, buddy.

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, it'd be nice to see someone actually run on a leftist platform and fail, instead of the usual nobody's-happy compromises that also fail. I think the idea of moderation is out the window after 2016.

Clone Corybn and watch somehow that an outright Communist wins the DEM pick and the Presidency because reality runs by jokes. Trump then declares a state of emergency and tries to overthrow the government.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Archie Parnell ran on a pretty strong liberal platform (certainly by South Carolina standards), and came within four points of winning. He actually did better than Ossoff, though that's partly because of turnout.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

You don't even have to run on full communism now, honestly, just, y'know, run on something other than "I want to oppose Trump"

Say what you will about the tenets of progressive populism, Dude, at least it's an ethos

also: don't run ads like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rMVNC5l4IM

typing on his phone at me, then looking up to see if I read it yet, then typing at me some more

dude I'm right here, just talk, say something out loud

Lurdiak posted:

"I believe that if you start your campaign and run on a platform calling for a full loaf, at worst you’re gonna get a half loaf. If you start your campaign talking about a need for a half loaf, you’re going to get crumbs." -- Romantic poet John Keats

e:

Jurgan posted:

Archie Parnell ran on a pretty strong liberal platform (certainly by South Carolina standards), and came within four points of winning. He actually did better than Ossoff, though that's partly because of turnout.

Just think how well he could have done if he'd received even a tenth the national attention and outside funding that Ossoff did

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Jurgan posted:

Maybe but if races like this one are competitive then you're already looking down the barrel of a landslide. At this point you're basically playing for score

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Erenthal posted:

Kreider is still the perennial thread hero. Excellent article.
I wish he'd cartoon again, but I also respect that it's far better for his mental health (and probably his physical health) that he doesn't.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Democrats could use hopeless races like this to play around with more leftist platforms to see what gets people cheering, and what gets people booing. But the far left on this forum will *never* be happy. Even if Bernie had become president, they'd have been hating him about .... now, as he showed no signs of establishing a dictatorship of the proletariat and instead was fighting with a strongly Republican Congress over minimum wage and higher education funding.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

Democrats could use hopeless races like this to play around with more leftist platforms to see what gets people cheering, and what gets people booing. But the far left on this forum will *never* be happy. Even if Bernie had become president, they'd have been hating him about .... now, as he showed no signs of establishing a dictatorship of the proletariat and instead was fighting with a strongly Republican Congress over minimum wage and higher education funding.

On the contrary, I think I can speak for everyone in this forum and all associated subforums when I say we'd all be a lot happier than we are now

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Ossoff's campaign did its best to ignore Trump entirely, I don't know why people are pretending he ran as the anti-Trump.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

loquacius posted:

Just think how well he could have done if he'd received even a tenth the national attention and outside funding that Ossoff did

There is a school of thought that national attention was a net negative in these races. The basic idea is that Dems were already motivated to vote against Trump, and all the attention and advertising woke up Republicans who might have sat the Georgia election out otherwise. GA-06 had much higher turnout than SC-05, and the Republican did better there.

Candidates do make a difference, though. Maybe it's just that I paid more attention to SC because my wife was born in that district and I lived there for four years, but I had a good idea what Parnell wanted and why he was qualified, while I don't know anything about Ossoff other than he was a symbolic anti-Trump vote. Also, that ad you posted is awful- compare it to Archie's hilarious House of Cards parody and there's no contest.

Really, though, if you want better candidates, you have to put the work in and win primaries. Ossoff pretty much got the nomination by default, because no one else ran, as far as I know.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

loquacius posted:

"I believe that if you start your campaign and run on a platform calling for a full loaf, at worst you’re gonna get a half loaf. If you start your campaign talking about a need for a half loaf, you’re going to get crumbs." -- Romantic poet John Keats

:yeah:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shangri-Law School posted:

Ossoff's campaign did its best to ignore Trump entirely, I don't know why people are pretending he ran as the anti-Trump.

I mean, just off the top of my head, that ad I just posted, did you watch it

You don't even have to watch it because its preview image looks like this

like, a counter-example is right here on this page already and you don't even have to click anything

The election was treated in national media as basically a Trump referendum -- "dissatisfaction with Trump's presidency is so high that the Democrats have a chance to steal this red district" etc etc -- and everything I've seen from its marketing hasn't really done a whole lot to dispel that :shrug:

Jurgan posted:

There is a school of thought that national attention was a net negative in these races. The basic idea is that Dems were already motivated to vote against Trump, and all the attention and advertising woke up Republicans who might have sat the Georgia election out otherwise. GA-06 had much higher turnout than SC-05, and the Republican did better there.

This is a possibility, but more funding from the national party certainly couldn't have hurt

quote:

Really, though, if you want better candidates, you have to put the work in and win primaries. Ossoff pretty much got the nomination by default, because no one else ran, as far as I know.

This is a problem I don't really know how to address, since I'm like 90% of the country in that I like my rep (Joe Kennedy is good despite being a dynasty-haver) but I think everyone else's is dogshit

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

That might literally be the only ad Ossoff ran that mentioned Trump, and it wasn't shown at all down the stretch in the runoff. He barely mentioned him – if at all – in the two debates. This was notable; my buddy who worked on Ossoff's campaign says that his team thought he should goose up the Trump talk a little but Ossoff chose not to.

Ossoff's ads in the runoff were centered on four ideas:

1) Karen Handel is vehemently anti-choice, hates PPUSA, is fine with women getting breast cancer; an offshoot of this is that she's fine if you can't pay for your kids' treatments due to the AHCA
2) Washington sucks, don't it? I'll make it better.
3) Jobs are good. Here are some smart locals who do the jobs. I'll help them do more jobs.
4) Let me clear the record about (GOP argument against me).

Disclosure: I live in Atlanta and watch Wheel/Jeopardy every weekday night so yeah, I was drowning in these commercials for a couple months. Most of the DC/NYC lefty chatter about the state of campaign messaging was pulled from their asses wholesale, or done via a quick peek at YouTube.

e: This seat is up for grabs again in 2018. Ossoff can choose to keep his organization in place with all that cheddar and make another run for it. OR, a more progressive candidate could challenge him if Our Revolution, DemSoc, etc., get off their duffs and do something. Our Rev GA hasn't even sent out a mass email since like March so I'm guessing that's a no.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 21, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

loquacius posted:

Yeah, he took a GOP district from solid double digit wins to low single digit win he's basically Martha Coakley. :jerkbag:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, he took a GOP district from solid double digit wins to low single digit win he's basically Martha Coakley. :jerkbag:

GA-6 is in a weird ether; Hillary Clinton actually won the three counties (including Cobb, which is crazy) that are part of its area but not the area of GA-6 itself (all squares are rectangles, not all rectangles aren't squares). But it's suburban, well-off, well-educated, and largely white. The idea here is that you easily get the blue parts, then go picking off the suburban moms who are sick of Trump's poo poo. It almost worked in Round 1 but enough GOPers came home that the runoff wasn't meant to be. Before you ask – the internals showed the campaign that the easily blue voters had been more or less been maxed out; there wasn't some super-lefty pocket hidden that they didn't find or anything.

If I could change anything about GA-6, other than the fact that Ossoff lost...

- I wouldn't have the national Dems spend so much money on it. At the end, there were too many commercials; too much voter contact, that people might've gotten sick of him.
- I would've hit Handel harder on AHCA. His message there was sound, he just didn't say it enough IMO.

The LOL THIS ONE AD IS WHY OSSOFF LOST and HE DIDN'T EVEN LIVE IN THE DISTRICT NO I DON'T SEE A PROBLEM WITH TAKING HANDEL'S MESSAGING AND ACTING LIKE IT'S PROGRESSIVE and HE LOOKS LIKE A GOOBER UNLIKE JEREMY CORBYN SWOON stuff, meh.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

Ossoff's ads in the runoff were centered on four ideas:

Of these, I liked 3, but 1 and 2 were exactly the kind of negative reactive campaigning I was referencing even if they don't mention Trump's name explicitly (although point 2 almost did) and 4 was also reactive and questionable strategy. I think trying to bring in more tech jobs was basically his one solid proactive campaign promise that anyone knew about, which is not bad but also doesn't really reach you if you're not a tech professional.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ossoff got pretty much exactly as many votes as the no-name no-funding Generic D who ran last year. The only reason this one was close is that Karen Handel is not a long-standing beloved incumbent. Ossoff was not a good candidate.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

loquacius posted:

Ossoff got pretty much exactly as many votes as the no-name no-funding Generic D who ran last year. The only reason this one was close is that Karen Handel is not a long-standing beloved incumbent. Ossoff was not a good candidate.

:yeah:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

loquacius posted:

Of these, I liked 3, but 1 and 2 were exactly the kind of negative reactive campaigning I was referencing even if they don't mention Trump's name explicitly (although point 2 almost did) and 4 was also reactive and questionable strategy. I think trying to bring in more tech jobs was basically his one solid proactive campaign promise that anyone knew about, which is not bad but also doesn't really reach you if you're not a tech professional.

You're comparing special election turnout to presidential election turnout. Dem voters in particular are hard to motivate to turn out to "less important" elections.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Point 2's "Washington sucks" was less "Trump sucks" and more "stop frivolous spending"/"I'll work across the aisle", which granted isn't a great message from a Democrat but plays well in places where David Brooks columns are taken as a source of intellectual inspiration and not toilet paper.

quote:

Ossoff got pretty much exactly as many votes as the no-name no-funding Generic D who ran last year

That's pretty good to do in a special runoff as opposed to a Presidential year election.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Skippy, we have people gleefully crafting AHCA behind obvious closed doors until they just stamp it out and gently caress people raw and hard for years to come. Evil is in, buddy.

Son of a biscuit why didn't anyone tell them that authoritarian oligarchies are unamerican!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

Point 2's "Washington sucks" was less "Trump sucks" and more "stop frivolous spending"/"I'll work across the aisle", which granted isn't a great message from a Democrat but plays well in places where David Brooks columns are taken as a source of intellectual inspiration and not toilet paper.

If I had one wish it'd be every time anyone said this they'd immediately get struck by lightning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm surprised at how many fewer votes Handel got than Price.

• Locked thread