Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Karl Barks posted:

also the 2012 campaign was arguably won in the mid west by pushing the auto bailouts. those companies were basically nationalized and they used that poo poo in the ads

this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zhulik posted:

Also, kind of hosed up that the overall primary turnout dropped by 45% between 2008 and 2016. What happened there?

obama got to pretend he saved the economy when the vast majority of jobs created were in retail and service industry sectors

nothing for the millions of americans who lost their homes due to illegal foreclosures at the hands of financial criminals who got off scot free with free money they rewarded themselves with

basically dystopian wage-slavery is what obama's america has become. why even try anymore

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Karl Barks posted:

hmm when i think about the obama 2008 campaign i think about how he used the words healing and division all the time

obama basically ran on gently caress YOUR IRAQ WAR and also HEY THE ECONOMY JUST COLLAPSED DUE TO THESE FUCKOS

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol this is so disingenuous, the main themes of the campaign were change, hope, and fixing the economy and you know it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

also the 2012 campaign was arguably won in the mid west by pushing the auto bailouts. those companies were basically nationalized and they used that poo poo in the ads

that contrasted with romney having said "let detroit go bankrupt" were absolutely the only thing that really mattered

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
heres a very early obama stump speech if you want to hear what he actually says (for 2008)

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/1194817112475/obama-s-pennsylvania-stump-speech.html

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vox Nihili posted:

obama basically ran on gently caress YOUR IRAQ WAR and also HEY THE ECONOMY JUST COLLAPSED DUE TO THESE FUCKOS

and obama basically led on LETS KILL MORE FUCKIN MUSLIMS WITH ROBOTS YEAH and also MORE MONEY FOR THESE FUCKOS

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i don't even think obama did a good job, btu at least they had the sense to use the auto bailouts in their campaign

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Al! posted:

lf saw thru that hope and change bs from teh beginning lol

nah, iirc they weren't suckered nearly as hard as d&d was but they still bought what Obama was selling, at least for the first year or two

Zhulik posted:

Also, kind of hosed up that the overall primary turnout dropped by 45% between 2008 and 2016. What happened there?

2008 was a big outlier

it's not really a good basis for comparison

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Corbyn had more overwhelming institutional forces working against him, yet didn't have the same problem :shrug:
Are we finally getting to the point where we have disingenuous salt throws again?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

that contrasted with romney having said "let detroit go bankrupt" were absolutely the only thing that really mattered

that was such a hosed up thing to say you'd think a dem said it

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

ThndrShk2k posted:

Are we finally getting to the point where we have disingenuous salt throws again?

:getin:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UHD posted:

that was such a hosed up thing to say you'd think a dem said it

put coal miners out of work

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hope, change, and the installation of a worldwide caliphate

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:lol: that's not what he ran on hope that helps.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Vox Nihili posted:

heres a very early obama stump speech if you want to hear what he actually says (for 2008)

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/1194817112475/obama-s-pennsylvania-stump-speech.html

daamn watch this poo poo, haha what happened to you obama

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

He didn't run on these issues

He ran on ending the war in Iraq and fixing healthcare

(Both things he did the exact opposite of what he should have done)

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

daamn watch this poo poo, haha what happened to you obama

power is a hell of a drug

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

seriously: obama's main campaign theme was healing the divisions of Bush's incompetency

e: healing the divisions, not addressing the actual problems!
It's got it's own Wiki article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_%22Hope%22_poster

:bagl:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThndrShk2k posted:

i'd love for the solution to be as easy as "run as leftist, win", but I'm doubtful that that's the case

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Al! posted:

hope, change, and the installation of a worldwide caliphate

barack HUSSEIN obama

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

KomradeX posted:

My friend who was am independent as well changed registration only to find out she needed to have done that before October 2015

this is exactly what happened to me.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

have to find leftists willing to run first

I imagine most people would tell you to pound sand if you asked them to run because that poo poo takes time and money and life doesn't pause just because you're running for rep of bumblefuck illinois

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i'd love for the solution to be as easy as "run as leftist, win", but I'm doubtful that that's the case

The solution is clearly to keep on trying to win with lame boring corporate centrists

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

that is the case

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

UHD posted:

have to find leftists willing to run first

I imagine most people would tell you to pound sand if you asked them to run because that poo poo takes time and money and life doesn't pause just because you're running for rep of bumblefuck illinois
if only we funded these people with enough for more than the bare minimum to exist from the government like civilized countries do

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
therse a lot of stupid fuckin arguments itt but bickering about whether Obama ran on bipartisanship or merely talked about it has to be one of the stupidest

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As I recall, there was a lot of misinformation being (knowingly or otherwise, mostly otherwise I think) promulgated about registration deadlines/requirements for primaries on every side.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

therse a lot of stupid fuckin arguments itt but bickering about whether Obama ran on bipartisanship or merely talked about it has to be one of the stupidest

I don't think you understand how important it is to be correct in the SUK ZONE.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would yall mind if I closed this thread and opened a new one with more concurrent information in the OP?

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

docbeard posted:

I don't think you understand how important it is to be correct in the SUK ZONE.

This is why it's very important to post "Bernie would have won" every so often.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

Would yall mind if I closed this thread and opened a new one with more concurrent information in the OP?

just edit the OP

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Venom Snake posted:

no

also rename it the "cuck zone for zuck"

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's sweet watching the first 3 minutes of this 2008 Obama speech and have him mention wealth inequality, people not affording college, people unable to retire, and money being wasted on foreign boondoggles, and then immediately tabbing over to read your post about leftist poo poo not winning elections.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

just edit the OP

That's one option but Iv not enjoyed that new thread smell in a while

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

go ahead, I already have a nice tweet stored up to get the suk started page 1

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
just seal the fuckin hatches and pump the toxins in through the ventilation system already; we're all already dead

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

name the thread cuck zone or bust

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Venom Snake posted:

what if we just closed it and didn't open a new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

The solution is clearly to keep on trying to win with lame boring corporate centrists

centrists' value came in their being a vote for a Democratic speaker/majority leader to control what makes it to the floor for a vote, but if they can't even provide that (because they can't win), they're no use whatsoever so you might as well run full communists in a R+20 district, gently caress it

Karl Barks posted:

that is the case

as evidenced by how bernie sanders drove youth turnout during the primary just like corbyn did

• Locked thread