Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Florida QBs are amazing once they are freed from the oppressive shackles of Florida's dogshit offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

All the Will Grier hype coming out of WVU seems like a little much. He was good by recent Florida QB standards but he had like three good games. I feel like every time a QB transfers his reputation increases like 20 fold. Like when people decided that Kenny Hill was always going to be September Heisman Kenny when he transferred to TCU.

tbf he really only had three games, so 100% of his UF games were good.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Grier's game vs Ole Miss was just incredible

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

and then...

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I was thinking about Pete Carroll's Seahawks tenure and was wondering if Saban could be successful if given another shot at the NFL? Both ran pro-style offenses in CFB and are considered the best coach during their respective eras, but bombed during their first stints in the NFL.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

MourningView posted:

All the Will Grier hype coming out of WVU seems like a little much. He was good by recent Florida QB standards but he had like three good games. I feel like every time a QB transfers his reputation increases like 20 fold. Like when people decided that Kenny Hill was always going to be September Heisman Kenny when he transferred to TCU.

Kenny Hill loving sucks and TCU won't be good again until he's benched

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

an adult beverage posted:

I was thinking about Pete Carroll's Seahawks tenure and was wondering if Saban could be successful if given another shot at the NFL? Both ran pro-style offenses in CFB and are considered the best coach during their respective eras, but bombed during their first stints in the NFL.

Grown men aren't afraid of little Napoleon so I doubt his usual tactic of trying to wish death upon a player via eye contact will work as well.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Saban has no reason to move. As Bama's coach, he gets more respect and gets paid better than all but like four or five NFL coaches (and I'd be willing to bet that if you factor in title bonuses and unofficial perks like boosters paying off his mortgage, he gets paid more than any of em)

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I feel like he could be successful depending on the team he went to. I don't think anyone is finding any sort of success at the Browns no matter who it is, but if he went somewhere that has a history of at least a breath of life, he might be able to do it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Crotch Bat posted:

Grown men aren't afraid of little Napoleon so I doubt his usual tactic of trying to wish death upon a player via eye contact will work as well.

Right, Carroll and Saban's styles are vastly different and where Carroll's first two stints as NFL coaches failed for various reasons, none of them were related to the fact that players just didn't have any respect for him.

I'll say it: Saban's success at Alabama has very little to do with his coaching. He's running quite basic offenses and defenses. He's simply got players that are that much better than anyone else's players. He's a plus recruiter, he's hired other plus recruiters, and he's done well at hiding the influence of their boosters (easy to do when an exceptional recruiting class is not unexpected a la Ole Miss).

You can get away with being a mediocre coach in the NFL if you're also making excellent personnel decisions, but not if your players think you're an rear end in a top hat.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I feel like he could be successful depending on the team he went to. I don't think anyone is finding any sort of success at the Browns no matter who it is, but if he went somewhere that has a history of at least a breath of life, he might be able to do it.

Who cares I just hope the NFL ends our long national nightmare of Alabama success.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

kayakyakr posted:

Right, Carroll and Saban's styles are vastly different and where Carroll's first two stints as NFL coaches failed for various reasons, none of them were related to the fact that players just didn't have any respect for him.

I'll say it: Saban's success at Alabama has very little to do with his coaching. He's running quite basic offenses and defenses. He's simply got players that are that much better than anyone else's players. He's a plus recruiter, he's hired other plus recruiters, and he's done well at hiding the influence of their boosters (easy to do when an exceptional recruiting class is not unexpected a la Ole Miss).

You can get away with being a mediocre coach in the NFL if you're also making excellent personnel decisions, but not if your players think you're an rear end in a top hat.

Posting my favorite vid again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LNA4eiqw4s

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

I agree a lot of his bullshit doesn't work in the NFL but he is a really really really really good defensive coach, come on

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

That guy who has won a bunch of championships across two different teams? Nothing special, imo.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

I agree a lot of his bullshit doesn't work in the NFL but he is a really really really really good defensive coach, come on

big money big clit posted:

That guy who has won a bunch of championships across two different teams? Nothing special, imo.

Plus recruiter, good defensive coach, at schools that are already predispositioned to win national titles.

I mean, poo poo, Les Miles won a national championship with LSU.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Wrong thread

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kayakyakr posted:

Plus recruiter, good defensive coach, at schools that are already predispositioned to win national titles.

I mean, poo poo, Les Miles won a national championship with LSU.

He's a very good defensive coach. And there are a lot of schools (Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Florida) that are "pre-dispositioned" to win national titles based on natural advantages, and yet manage to spectacularly underperform routinely under a variety of coaches. LSU wasn't on a long streak of success when Saban got there. He's an exceptional college head coach, which encompasses a lot of disciplines beyond Xs and Os coaching, but he's also a very good Xs and Os defensive coach. Out of the crop of recent National Championship winner's I'd say he's more involved in X's and O's coaching than Urban or Dabo, who are also, get this, exceptionally good coaches.

Saying "he runs really basic Offenses and Defenses" like it's a knock on his coaching ability is dumb. Ensuring consistency from game to game is probably the hardest thing for a college head coach and only the truly great ones can field consistent teams. Complicated schemes and playbooks don't benefit anyone. Chip Kelly's offense had like five plays in it, but it worked really really well because his players executed consistently.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Also Saban's schemes are actually more complicated than most of the programs in Alabama's league, that part just wasn't true.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

He's a very good defensive coach. And there are a lot of schools (Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, Florida) that are "pre-dispositioned" to win national titles based on natural advantages, and yet manage to spectacularly underperform routinely under a variety of coaches. LSU wasn't on a long streak of success when Saban got there. He's an exceptional college head coach, which encompasses a lot of disciplines beyond Xs and Os coaching, but he's also a very good Xs and Os defensive coach. Out of the crop of recent National Championship winner's I'd say he's more involved in X's and O's coaching than Urban or Dabo, who are also, get this, exceptionally good coaches.

Saying "he runs really basic Offenses and Defenses" like it's a knock on his coaching ability is dumb. Ensuring consistency from game to game is probably the hardest thing for a college head coach and only the truly great ones can field consistent teams. Complicated schemes and playbooks don't benefit anyone. Chip Kelly's offense had like five plays in it, but it worked really really well because his players executed consistently.

Urban used to be an X's and O's guy at Florida. He's much less that at Ohio State. Dabo is definitely not an X's and O's guy. There's a reason why Clemson, for many years, has had among the highest paid OC and DC in the nation.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Raku posted:

Also Saban's schemes are actually more complicated than most of the programs in Alabama's league, that part just wasn't true.

Under Pruitt it is. I dunno about what Smart was like, but Pruitt is a bit of a mad scientist

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Smart and Pruitt run a very similar system

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

kayakyakr posted:

Urban used to be an X's and O's guy at Florida. He's much less that at Ohio State. Dabo is definitely not an X's and O's guy. There's a reason why Clemson, for many years, has had among the highest paid OC and DC in the nation.

Not really. Lots of long form during his tenure at UF about how he was a broad architect of his system, but it was really built by Brandon and Mullen at BG.

He did a lot of hands on with ST though.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LeeMajors posted:

Not really. Lots of long form during his tenure at UF about how he was a broad architect of his system, but it was really built by Brandon and Mullen at BG.

He did a lot of hands on with ST though.

Urbz is like the closest thing to a Beamer disciple you'll see. Dude visited Beamer virtually every offseason for the longest time, really bought into what Beamer preached about STs (most of the country bought in to some extent but Meyer was really about it). He and Beamer seemed to share a unique relationship from what I saw, always a lot of praise and respect from Meyer to Beamer even going beyond coach-speak stuff.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Urbz is like the closest thing to a Beamer disciple you'll see. Dude visited Beamer virtually every offseason for the longest time, really bought into what Beamer preached about STs (most of the country bought in to some extent but Meyer was really about it). He and Beamer seemed to share a unique relationship from what I saw, always a lot of praise and respect from Meyer to Beamer even going beyond coach-speak stuff.

"I want to be the head coach, and I want to run special teams. I want to be the game manager and the motivator," Meyer said. "I'm very involved in the offense, but I try to hire the best possible guys I can to coordinate, because coordinating the offense isn't calling a play. That's the misunderstanding."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

"I want to be the head coach, and I want to run special teams. I want to be the game manager and the motivator," Meyer said. "I'm very involved in the offense, but I try to hire the best possible guys I can to coordinate, because coordinating the offense isn't calling a play. That's the misunderstanding."

Yep. He was huge on (and very good at) picking trick plays at opportune moments to gut your opponent or flip momentum (see punt fake against Arkansas, 2006 SECCG), but he was never an x-and-o playcalling junky.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jimbo is a Saban disciple.

This means something.

:tinfoil:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Although I'm 100% sure I'd disagree with his policies, I'd vote for Saban for POTUS in a heartbeat.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Scarf posted:

Although I'm 100% sure I'd disagree with his policies, I'd vote for Saban for POTUS in a heartbeat.

He'll probably actually hire THE BEST PEOPLE though

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Scarf posted:

"Russia ran through our digital electoral infrastructure like poo poo through a tin horn"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Meyer has a strong input as to what he wants the general offensive scheme/philosophy to be but he's never been a playcaller. He went straight from WR coach to head coach. The success of his offense rises and falls a lot depending on who the coordinator is and thankfully he's generally been very good at finding quality OCs

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 22, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scarf posted:

I've read/heard they he's apparently a centrist/blue dog democrat which isn't great but would put him way over on the liberal side when it comes to college football coaches

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

MourningView posted:

I've read/heard they he's apparently a centrist/blue dog democrat which isn't great but would put him way over on the liberal side when it comes to college football coaches

Yeah, this is what I've picked up on. I think being at Kent State during the shooting played some part in it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Despite having never been old enough to vote for him, Kirk Ferentz definitely still writes in Ike Eisenhower's name for president every year

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Saban is also one of those guys who low key is obviously ready for them to just legalize weed. Understands that you got to have standards but isn't a prude or anything.

His story about midnight pussy and hillary clinton still owns

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

I mean, a blue dog democrat would be a nice change of pace these days...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'm pretty sure HC at bama is like 6th in line for the presidency anyway.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If you look back on the last century of Alabama history, you will find that football is the main driver of progressivism in the state.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Main? Only?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Greg McElroy assured me that because NASA has a station there, Alabama is actually a destination, a hub for physicists, scientists, men of letters and culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pillsburysoldier posted:

Greg McElroy assured me that because NASA has a station there, Alabama is actually a destination, a hub for physicists, scientists, men of letters and culture

I mean, Space Camp IS pretty rad.

• Locked thread