Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Whovians had the theory that this is going to be a simulation that the Doctor is testing Missy in, and I just hope that's totally incorrect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Senor Tron posted:

Whovians had the theory that this is going to be a simulation that the Doctor is testing Missy in, and I just hope that's totally incorrect

That strikes me as a very Moffat puzzle box sort of meta-plot. At this point I'd be surprised if simulations didn't come up as a part of the finale somehow.

If any part of this season outside of Extremis turns out to be all a dream the show better loving end with Bob Newhart waking up in bed with his Bob Newhart Show wife.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Fucks sake.

Is this isn't it?

Fucks sake.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pulling away from all the action, we see an expressionless Adric staring into a snowglobe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just want a good Cyberman story

Why can't we just have a good Cyberman story

The best Cyberman story in decades was about the loving Clockwork Robots in Deep Breath. What the Christ

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't think that's likely, though it would give Extremis a bit more relevance to the rest of the series after it got robbed by its sequels. Maybe there's a bit of that early on and it's like the series 8 bit with Clara and the Doctor in the "volcano" dream state.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Simm-Master wrecking Missy's redemption and Missy responding by killing Simm-Master to regenerate into Missy would in fact be an amazing way to handle this story.

Especially if newly regenerated Missy Master proceeds to kill Older Missy Master in the immediate aftermath of Regenerating, causing her to start regenerating.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope y'all ready for Cyber-Adric.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

I just want a good Cyberman story

Why can't we just have a good Cyberman story

The best Cyberman story in decades was about the loving Clockwork Robots in Deep Breath. What the Christ

Moffat seems to mistake the Daleks for Cybermen and the Cybermen for Daleks. He doesn't have a good reading on either villain.

Think of how much better the Dalek prison planet would've been as a Cyberman retirement home of sorts where the patients had started to reclaim some of themselves as madness set in.

Even the music and Clara makes more sense this way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

To be fair, nobody has had a good grasp on the Cybermen since like Tomb. The eras of "Excccccellent" and "DELETE!" Cybermen were not exactly impressive.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Bicyclops posted:

To be fair, nobody has had a good grasp on the Cybermen since like Tomb. The eras of "Excccccellent" and "DELETE!" Cybermen were not exactly impressive.

DELETE was a huge mistake, Cybermen don't need catchphrases, certainly not poo poo ones.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sad King Billy posted:

DELETE was a huge mistake, Cybermen don't need catchphrases, certainly not poo poo ones.

And yet, weirdly, they're still probably better than the Cybermen from the 4th-7th Doctor era, which is most of their run.

Some of it is that the Cybermen have been used way too often and don't have a ton you can do with them, sort of like the Borg, but some of it is just people taking whatever generic bad guy script they have and sticking a popular face on it, without any thought as to whether it fits.

Maybe even if the Mondas ones are sidelined for the two-parter, if the aesthetic is decent, Chibnall will stick with that design and idea the next time they show up.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Bicyclops posted:

And yet, weirdly, they're still probably better than the Cybermen from the 4th-7th Doctor era, which is most of their run.

Some of it is that the Cybermen have been used way too often and don't have a ton you can do with them, sort of like the Borg, but some of it is just people taking whatever generic bad guy script they have and sticking a popular face on it, without any thought as to whether it fits.

Maybe even if the Mondas ones are sidelined for the two-parter, if the aesthetic is decent, Chibnall will stick with that design and idea the next time they show up.

I think their threat was too great in the Gaiman story, having to destroy entire galaxies to contain them.
They should be formidable but not that formidable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Moffat seems to mistake the Daleks for Cybermen and the Cybermen for Daleks. He doesn't have a good reading on either villain.

Think of how much better the Dalek prison planet would've been as a Cyberman retirement home of sorts where the patients had started to reclaim some of themselves as madness set in.

Even the music and Clara makes more sense this way.

Man you are 100% correct on that.

And yeah, the Cybermen have been poo poo since the 60s ended, their last really good story was Invasion and that was mostly for their design and Vaugn being the best human villain ever. But with a modern day, with our climate in decline, society freaking out

The Cybermen should be more relevant than ever now. Not from the technological angle either, from the Must Survive angle. Which just, gets ignored.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bicyclops posted:

That's exactly what'll happen. This show always introduces some race/costume/whatever as a Big Deal and then reuses it a ton shortly after

Speaking of which I'm shocked at how long it's been since we've seen an Ood

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Riptor posted:

That's exactly what'll happen. This show always introduces some race/costume/whatever as a Big Deal and then reuses it a ton shortly after

Does anyone else remember when the Slitheen were being talked up as the monster of the revival era? The lasting addition to the rogues' gallery who'd surely be back to menace the Doctor once again?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone else remember when the Slitheen were being talked up as the monster of the revival era? The lasting addition to the rogues' gallery who'd surely be back to menace the Doctor once again?

Yeah, that didn't even go as well as the Ferengi did for Trek. At least they managed to salvage something there, Fart Monster as a concept was not going to be well regarded no matter what.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gorn Myson posted:

Simm-Master wrecking Missy's redemption and Missy responding by killing Simm-Master to regenerate into Missy would in fact be an amazing way to handle this story.

Yeah I would be totally on board with that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Riptor posted:

That's exactly what'll happen. This show always introduces some race/costume/whatever as a Big Deal and then reuses it a ton shortly after.

Unless it's the Power Rangers Daleks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

The Cybermen should be more relevant than ever now. Not from the technological angle either, from the Must Survive angle. Which just, gets ignored.

Yeah, I agree. The Mondas Cybermen in particular could serve as a particularly poignant criticism of Startup Culture and "disrupting" things, given that so many of major players write about embracing The Singularity but seem to lack basic empathy when it comes to human suffering, and they're the kinds of people who make decisions that affect technology all of us will be using. The Cybermen have a more limited scope than they are used for, but a good writer could do worlds with them right now.

Riptor posted:

I'd like to see the Ood come back, and not just for a joke. The Slitheen had more than their stay. Even with a complete aesthetic redesign that stops focusing on bad fart jokes, there are just more efficient ways of criticizing naked capitalism and blind family loyalty.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I'd like to see a follow up of the Mrs Purchase Cyberman where she meets up with Steven Toast.

MixxMaster
Sep 15, 2005
From Doctor Who Online:

10.11: World Enough And Time - DWO Spoiler-Free Preview

And so it came to pass that the players took their final places, making ready the events that were to come...

We want to start off by saying just how hard this episode was to preview without spoiling anything; and as you will all know by now, this is the episode that John Simm's Master makes his return. It is this fact that the BBC wanted us all to know about, that we feel is the only real let-down in the whole story. If this could have been kept secret, the reveal would be right up there with Series Three's YANA!

The episode kicks off with one of the most jaw-dropping pre-titles sequences the show has ever had, and a scene which we will no doubt be revisiting thanks to some more timey-wimey magic from Steven Moffat. Yep - that's about all we can say about that!

The main episode itself is the Cyberman story that most fans have been waiting for. We get to see the original Mondasian Cybermen from The Tenth Planet, here, and crikey do they work well! Barely anything has changed - even their voices are exactly the same. These are hands-down the scariest, creepiest version of the Cybermen to have ever hit our screens, and we're so glad they are back!

The Doctor, Missy, Bill and Nardole land on a 400-mile long spaceship, perched at the edge of a black hole. The unique setting is a brilliant concept that means that the front of the ship is at a different point in time to the rear - something that is a key device throughout the story.

There is something quite shocking that happens quite early on, and the consequences of what happens lead to even more shocks that will likely make this episode of Doctor Who one of the most horrific in its entire history. The show quite possibly dips its toe over the line of what it can get away with, but we think it just about works. Yep - that's about all we can say about that!

Once again, Bill (Pearl Mackie) takes up a good chunk of the episode, which dips back and forth to The Doctor, Missy & Nardole. Pearl has been truly amazing in Series 10, so far, and this episode gets her digging deep and delivering everything that's thrown at her. Likewise, Missy (Michelle Gomez) further explores her nicer side, and it seems that The Doctor may have just brought her back to the light. It's so exciting to see this new facet of her character, and the obvious mercurial conflict she is facing within.

Peter Capaldi's Doctor continues to break our heart with the realisation we are just a couple of hours away from his final moments. This man was born to play The Doctor, and he has wiped the floor with all of the naysayers who thought an older actor couldn't carry the role in this modern era of Doctor Who. He actually doesn't have a great deal to do in this episode, but his presence in the scenes he is in adds important grounding and gravitas, which will carry through to The Doctor Falls.

But what about John Simm, you all ask? Well, despite some rumours online, The Master is very much back - not a dream, not a 'Moment-esque' type appearance - he is back, and at his evilest. There were flashes of redemption when he faced The 10th Doctor, and near the conclusion of The End Of Time, it seemed he had made a noble choice. We are still unsure of whereabouts in Simm's Master's timeline this episode sits, but it seems to be set after the events of The End Of Time (we may be wrong, though).

Rachel Talalay delivers another belter on the direction front; full of atmosphere and weight and everything that has always made her episodes stand out. Can we please bring her back for every finale?

As for the musical score, Murray Gold has given us something bigger and bolder, with hints of Series Three (his finest soundtrack in our opinion), and a chilling undertone that haunts throughout the episode.

World Enough And Time gives us match point for Series 10 of Doctor Who, and it's all eyes on The Doctor Falls as to whether Moffat can cap off one of the strongest and most well-written series in its modern history.

RATING: 10/10

5 Things To Look Out For:

1) The Doctor emerges from the TARDIS...
2) "Is your real name Doctor Who?"
3) Venusian Aikido
4) "Pain."
5) "I'm very worried about my future."

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/1011-World-Enough-And-Time-DWO-Spoiler-Free-Preview.aspx

MixxMaster fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 22, 2017

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

I'd like to see a follow up of the Mrs Purchase Cyberman where she meets up with Steven Toast.
Interesting that Steven Toast's name hasn't been mentioned amongst the candidates for next Doctor, like how hes never mentioned for the James Bond role even though hes auditioned for it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MixxMaster posted:

And so it came to pass that the players took their final places, making ready the events that were to come...

Wait, wasn't that Dalton's narration in The End of Time?

MixxMaster
Sep 15, 2005

Timby posted:

Wait, wasn't that Dalton's narration in The End of Time?

yep

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
"And so it came to pass, that on Christmas Day, the human race did cease to exist"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Some sources are stating that the next episode reveal's the Doctor's real name. It's included with a bunch of other cheeky hints, though, so... probably not.

Most of the preview reviews are positive, focusing on Moffat's writing, Talalay's direction and Mackie's performance, with an almost universal complaint that it spends time building to surprises we already know because of preview materials (Mondas Cybermen/John Simm). They all say that the Cybermen are super creepy and that there are a lot of surprises besides the ones we already know. There's a preview scene that was cut from some of the critical reviews. Those who have seen it seem torn about it (some liked it, some didn't). There's something that happens pretty early in the episode that is a big deal that nobody in the spoiler free reviews can talk about except to say a Thing happens.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MixxMaster posted:

But what about John Simm, you all ask? Well, despite some rumours online, The Master is very much back - not a dream, not a 'Moment-esque' type appearance - he is back, and at his evilest. There were flashes of redemption when he faced The 10th Doctor, and near the conclusion of The End Of Time, it seemed he had made a noble choice. We are still unsure of whereabouts in Simm's Master's timeline this episode sits, but it seems to be set after the events of The End Of Time (we may be wrong, though).

This makes me feel better - I was worried they might use him as a representation of the Master's "true nature" to temp Missy back to Evil (hence the beard). It was great for Gul Dukat, but the viewer should never have that kind of intimacy with the Master.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm mostly relieved to hear that the cybermen do get the focus of at least the first half and are done well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm mostly relieved to hear that the cybermen do get the focus of at least the first half and are done well.

Yeah, all the sources say they're very creepy and dark (and they confirm it's the old voices).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Gorn Myson posted:

Interesting that Steven Toast's name hasn't been mentioned amongst the candidates for next Doctor, like how hes never mentioned for the James Bond role even though hes auditioned for it.

He's already been in Doctor Who and was disillusioned by the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z44kBaGmuM&t=231s

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

There's something that happens pretty early in the episode that is a big deal that nobody in the spoiler free reviews can talk about except to say a Thing happens.

Someone's getting cyberconverted.

Or regenerating. Or both.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

They wouldn't kill Bill, but what about Nardole?

Ohhhhhhhh.

From the preview we know that more advanced cybermen appear. We also know that Nardole has an artificial body. If they converted someone with life support systems more advanced that their own they'd probably take the changes on board wouldn't they.

That preview also says they can't be sure when in the Masters time line it is, but it has to be post End of Time doesn't it? It can't be from during his Mr Saxon time because the TARDIS was stuck on Earth. He was dead between that and the End of Time, so it has to be after for him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

That preview also says they can't be sure when in the Masters time line it is, but it has to be post End of Time doesn't it? It can't be from during his Mr Saxon time because the TARDIS was stuck on Earth. He was dead between that and the End of Time, so it has to be after for him.

One of the advance reviews says that they're not sure, but they think it's post End of Time Master. Audiences historically have trouble with multiple time traveling characters meeting out of sequence without extended explanation, so I sort of doubt he'll be before that, but hell, Moffat has nothing to lose at this point, so you never know.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think the goatee represents post End of Time Master.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

I think the goatee represents post End of Time Master.

Or at least since he got rid of the wife...

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I hope his real name is actually Doctor Who

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Harlock posted:

I hope his real name is actually Doctor Who

Whoanadvoratrelundar.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
On my world, it means "hope."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless