Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

When he was like 16 or something he beat the poo poo out of two Asian men while robbing a liquor store.

And when I double checked that I found this little ditty from when he was 14 https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.ab3f5214e352

quote:

She was a Boston fourth grader on a field trip to the beach when Wahlberg and his partners-in-crime threw rocks and yelled racial epithets, including the n-word, at her and her classmates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PriorMarcus posted:

No. I'm arguing he's great and critics can't engage with the text on any meaningful level beyond meme headlines.

Some get close when they come to the disturbing conclusion that there must be something wrong with America, but an awful lot of the time it's deriding Bay for creating entartekunst or whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PriorMarcus posted:

No. I'm arguing he's great and critics can't engage with the text on any meaningful level beyond meme headlines.

They are the same thing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Some get close when they come to the disturbing conclusion that there must be something wrong with America, but an awful lot of the time it's deriding Bay for creating entartekunst or whatever.

I will take a surface reading of the cartoon robot movies. Extra large :munch:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Transformers: Age of Extinction is the first movie I've ever seen that gave me the impression that it hated me for watching it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
And double up on the real interpretation by the un-woke sheeple

Want to feel that grease dripping down my crazy stronk fingers

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you look at it correctly, you will see that Optimus Prime is a metaphor for America, and furthermore.....

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

syscall girl posted:

I will take a surface reading of the cartoon robot movies. Extra large :munch:

Even the cartoons they were based off of weren't that willfully ignorant, they were pretty ribald with holding a mirror to America's over-consumption and gross assumptions of foreign cultures.

Reminder that Marky Mark casually throws around racial stereotypes and is never challenged to question his stereotypical views in these movies, yet the newest film calls direct attention to this with the Native American Sheriff calling him out on it early in the movie.

This is your America. This is your movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tars Tarkas posted:

It will be cool when all the studios that were whining about Rotten Tomatoes scores don't make a peep when Transformers makes a quadrillion dollars despite low scores.

It actually might not make a quadrillion dollars. It's looking at a $15 million opening day -- easily the lowest of the entire series by a huge amount; the first movie's opening day was about $28 million and the other three were all well above that -- and a $63 - 65 million opening weekend, by far the worst of the franchise.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

He beat a man within an inch of his life for being Asian.

It's always weird to me that Walhburg made it out of Dorchester and became famous. I really feel he just lucked out not being born later cuz almost every other white kid with Walhburg's background in my generation got involved in opiods in one capacity or another. That poo poo absolutely ruined a generation of Irish guidos in the metro Boston area.

If he was born in 2000 I garuantee you he'd be in prison for knocking off a CVS for oxy or something.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Bay is one of the greatest directors working today specifically because he uses big budget Hollywood franchises to show how loving ugly modern day America is. The fact the films make billions of dollars is all the proof you need that he's right.

If the audiences and critics all took the wrong message though, and the only people who recognize the commentary were already 'in on the joke', it's hard for me to see that as a noble accomplishment vs. movie war profiteering. Seems like his satire only strengthened and reinforced those institutions while he preached to the choir. What is it meant to achieve to remedy that ugliness, if anything?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Even the cartoons they were based off of weren't that willfully ignorant, they were pretty ribald with holding a mirror to America's over-consumption and gross assumptions of foreign cultures.

Thats the exact opposite of what is happening with that plot and its why Casey Kasem quit the show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Electromax posted:

If the audiences and critics all took the wrong message though, and the only people who recognize the commentary were already 'in on the joke', it's hard for me to see that as a noble accomplishment vs. movie war profiteering. Seems like his satire only strengthened and reinforced those institutions while he preached to the choir. What is it meant to achieve to remedy that ugliness, if anything?

It let nerds on the internet be smug.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

It's always weird to me that Walhburg made it out of Dorchester and became famous. I really feel he just lucked out not being born later cuz almost every other white kid with Walhburg's background in my generation got involved in opiods in one capacity or another. That poo poo absolutely ruined a generation of Irish guidos in the metro Boston area.

If he was born in 2000 I garuantee you he'd be in prison for knocking off a CVS for oxy or something.

Mark had to live down Donnie

And the funky bunch

Hard rode to hoe

He's a right winger now so gently caress him, but Basketball Diaries was really good and he was good in it.

Back when Mark Wahlberg was Marky Mark
This is how we used to make the party start
We used to mix hen' with Bacardi Dark
And when it kicks in you can hardly talk

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I love Pain and Gain, and I'm sure the Transformers movies have a lot of that sneaky commentary, but there's just too much incoherent noise and sound and grinding metal. It's like listening to atonal music - I appreciate the artistry, but gently caress no to spending two hours listening to it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
God I wish every single person who argues that the transformers movies are clever satire were forced to watch them over and over for the rest of their lives.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Peanut President posted:

God I wish every single person who argues that the transformers movies are clever satire were forced to watch them over and over for the rest of their lives.

I don't need to be forced to watch them all the time, friend. Just bought the 4 movie bundle on iTunes a few days ago!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Peanut President posted:

Why?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't need to be forced to watch them all the time, friend. Just bought the 4 movie bundle on iTunes a few days ago!

Did you ever read about how Kubrick did up Malcolm McDowell's eyes in A Clockwork Orange?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The first movie is played more straightforward but I think what made Bay turn is all the bitching about why Megatron kicked Prime's rear end so easily cause Prime's supposed to be a badass. Then in the second somehow it goes into "GIVE ME YOUR FACE!" after he dies and is resurrected.

I think Terry went into all this. But at some point things just...welp.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Joseph McGinty Nichol is a moronic douchebag who insists on being called by a dumb nickname that immediately clues you into the kind of person he is. His "director's cut" of Terminator: Salvation adds 30 seconds of tits, that's it. He was at a convention or a presser or something, and made a point of loudly asking the crowd if they wanted to see Moon's tits. Then there's Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle...

It's worse than that. The actress in question was sitting next to him at the time.

Fsmhunk posted:

Even if you ignore the terrible deisgns and writing of the Transformers movies they're extremely racist, misogynistic and homophobic. Besides Pain and Gain which is great, Bay's films reek of insecurity.

A weird complaint, since Pain and Gain is very specifically about insecurity. As in, that's the driver for the whole plot. It's also a key feature of all the humans that the Autobots recruit.

Fsmhunk posted:

That scene was great because it almost seemed like Bay trying to justify the camera hungrily leering at a character that was supposed to be underaged.

Or possibly making a statement about a former movie hunk who made a career out of appealing to pubescent girls who's now aging and has children of his own.

Wait, I forgot, Bay never does anything on purpose.

There's a really good gag in Pain and Gain that, I think, sums up Bay's view of America. The three morons are doing a home defence seminar, talking about how to deal with a rapist. Mark's character, Daniel Lugo, brings up his gorgeous trophy girlfriend and asks for a volunteer, saying 'who wants to be a rapist?' and the entire crowd stick their hand up. There's twpo interpretations of that scene. Either Bay thinks rape is hilarious, or he's showing you the sort of people that do: A bunch of sad middle aged men.

Electromax posted:

There are people who cheer on the combat scenes in Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket and Black Hawk Down, when all those films are extremely overtly critical of the wars they're depicting, American foreign policy and war in general. There are people who cheer on Travis Bickle, Jake De la Motta and Tony Montana. Audience reaction to satire and criticism can only be held against the artist so much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is the most tortured interpretation of a scene I have ever seen.

Was that intended as a critique of American foreign policy as well?

I mean is that was passes for film interpretation these days.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is the most tortured interpretation of a scene I have ever seen.

Was that intended as a critique of American foreign policy as well?

I mean is that was passes for film interpretation these days.

God, it's almost like you're not actually interested in interpretation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

God, it's almost like you're not actually interested in interpretation.

I am interested in film interpretation but I do agree that that wasn't what was happening there.

To often film interpretation is seen as a way to prove how clever one is. With no intention of interpreting the film itself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am interested in film interpretation but I do agree that that wasn't what was happening there.

Please tell us how you interpreted the scene.

quote:

To often film interpretation is seen as a way to prove how clever one is. With no intention of interpreting the film itself.

Careful, you may force the word irony to explode, condescending insulting guy who's offered no interpretation himself.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Bay includes all that stuff in his movies because he thinks it's extremely epic. The constant objectification is because it makes his weiner hard. Why must everything be subversion? Not every director is trying to trick studios in some cool rebel move against hollywood. I would respect people more if they just came out and said they like these movies instead of brutally owning me with next level Verhoven-esque satire.

Your memes end here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowman_McK posted:

It's worse than that. The actress in question was sitting next to him at the time.

A weird complaint, since Pain and Gain is very specifically about insecurity. As in, that's the driver for the whole plot. It's also a key feature of all the humans that the Autobots recruit.

Or possibly making a statement about a former movie hunk who made a career out of appealing to pubescent girls who's now aging and has children of his own.

Wait, I forgot, Bay never does anything on purpose.

There's a really good gag in Pain and Gain that, I think, sums up Bay's view of America. The three morons are doing a home defence seminar, talking about how to deal with a rapist. Mark's character, Daniel Lugo, brings up his gorgeous trophy girlfriend and asks for a volunteer, saying 'who wants to be a rapist?' and the entire crowd stick their hand up. There's twpo interpretations of that scene. Either Bay thinks rape is hilarious, or he's showing you the sort of people that do: A bunch of sad middle aged men.

There are people who cheer on the combat scenes in Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket and Black Hawk Down, when all those films are extremely overtly critical of the wars they're depicting, American foreign policy and war in general. There are people who cheer on Travis Bickle, Jake De la Motta and Tony Montana. Audience reaction to satire and criticism can only be held against the artist so much.

I've mentioned this before, but in college I met multiple people there on the GI bill who said they enlisted at least partially because of the movie Full Metal Jacket.

Fsmhunk posted:

Bay includes all that stuff in his movies because he thinks it's extremely epic. The constant objectification is because it makes his weiner hard. Why must everything be subversion? Not every director is trying to trick studios in some cool rebel move against hollywood. I would respect people more if they just came out and said they like these movies instead of brutally owning me with next level Verhoven-esque satire.

Your memes end here.

Bay's most humanist and progressive film (The Island) is also his only commercial failure, so whether or not you think it's satire, I think it's not that unbelievable that The Transformers films both don't directly portray his personal views and also are the result of a specific decision by him.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

When he was like 16 or something he beat the poo poo out of two Asian men while robbing a liquor store.

And when I double checked that I found this little ditty from when he was 14 https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.ab3f5214e352

I thought the goon hivemind was supposed to be against incarcerating children and ruining peoples' lives with a criminal record but I guess hating celebrities wins out against hating America's prison system.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guy Mann posted:

I thought the goon hivemind was supposed to be against incarcerating children and ruining peoples' lives with a criminal record but I guess hating celebrities wins out against hating America's prison system.

This is basically a perfect post.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

I will never not stop hating America's prison system. Give me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felon_(film) every loving day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

I'm not saying he should be thrown in jail or we should boycott his movies, but to my knowledge he's never really atoned, and this only came back to the public conscious because he wanted a pardon so he could become an honorary Boston cop.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well, to be fair, to graduate from Boston police academy you have to pass the course on head stomping and nightstick choking, and your final oral exam is just saying as many different racial and sexual slurs as you can before 90 seconds runs out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, guys, bad movies? Remember those? Lionsgate sure does as they've officially announced the return of the Saw series with this Halloween's Jigsaw. For a movie that's supposed to be coming out this year we know very little about it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Hey, guys, bad movies? Remember those? Lionsgate sure does as they've officially announced the return of the Saw series with this Halloween's Jigsaw. For a movie that's supposed to be coming out this year we know very little about it.

Saw was good, for its time.

And the one that had the syringe pit.

Exceedingly nasty, and some of the actors managed to shine through the hazy boring overarching "plot"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Skwirl posted:

Bay's most humanist and progressive film (The Island) is also his only commercial failure, so whether or not you think it's satire, I think it's not that unbelievable that The Transformers films both don't directly portray his personal views and also are the result of a specific decision by him.

It's also a blatant ripoff of a much older movie. The original filmmakers sued, and the courts agreed there were too many similarities for it to be a coincidence. There was a very large settlement, within the seven figure range.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Saw was good, for its time.

And the one that had the syringe pit.

Exceedingly nasty, and some of the actors managed to shine through the hazy boring overarching "plot"

The biggest problem with Saw was they killed off Jigsaw way too early and had no idea what to do after that and so things just kind of meandered around for 4 more movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The back half of the Saw movies are really baroque, it really felt like if Pinhead showed up you would barely even notice it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

The biggest problem with Saw was they killed off Jigsaw way too early and had no idea what to do after that and so things just kind of meandered around for 4 more movies.

Find and replace Dexter here

Surprise--oh well huh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

It's also a blatant ripoff of a much older movie. The original filmmakers sued, and the courts agreed there were too many similarities for it to be a coincidence. There was a very large settlement, within the seven figure range.

Yeah, but that's on the studio, The Clonus Horror was on MST3K for fucks sake, adaptation rights shouldn't be out of the budget for a movie starring Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson. Reservoir Dogs takes its plot almost entirely from the last half of City on Fire, Star Wars is close enough to The Hidden Fortress that there's an apocryphal story of Akira Kurosawa just showing up in George Lucas' office and staring at him until Lucas cut him a check. I don't think Michael Bay caught a rerun of MST3K one night and said to himself "I'm going to spend 100's of millions of dollars remaking that movie with two of the biggest stars of right now, but I'm not going pay the original studio a penny."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The back half of the Saw movies are really baroque, it really felt like if Pinhead showed up you would barely even notice it.

Didn't help that someone decided that every Saw movie had to have a bigger twist than the last one. Probably the only good ones were 1 (with Jigsaw pretending to be dead the whole time) and 4 (where it turned out that the movie was taking place during 3.)

• Locked thread