Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

The thing that "stymied" Bernie's outreach was all the media parroting this same talking point of Bernie not connecting to the realities of being a minority in America despite the fact he was just as favorable among minority young voters as among white young voters.

Okay, so I guess the strategy is for progressives to wait twenty years for their voters to grow up?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

His plan was the right-wing Heritage Foundation healthcare reform of 1993 with the tort reform provisions removed, which btw account for 2% - 3% of medical costs.

His "taxation of the rich" was actually a mixture of penalities for people who refused to buy private insurance (a giveaway for the insurance industry), a piddly .9% tax increase on the top 2%, and a small 4% additional tax on investment income for the top 2%.

So let's review:

Obama passes right-wing healthcare reform that is financed through a combination of forcing people to enrich insurance companies (or be penalized), a minuscule wage tax, and a small increase on investment income that, nonetheless, still leaves it at a lower tax rate then wages.

You consider this "not centrist"

Yeah, that's exactly my point. The most far left policy to pass in America in half a century is fundamentally conservative (if less so than the Heritage thing implies). And while most individual voters have particular beliefs that are more left than what the ACA represents, the fact is that no politician had yet successfully packaged a coherent progressive message. If you figure out how to do it, run for office and I'll donate to your campaign if my wife says it's okay.

Personally, I don't think Democrats are the problem. The Republicans aren't the driving force for tax cuts and corporationism; Heritage, Club For Growth, etc. are. Who are the progressive thought leaders, providing a solid template for progressive ideology? Leftists have been satisfied to point to Science and say, "these studies support our ideas", but nobody is putting the pieces together. Where's the leftist AEI? Candidates are only the final piece of the puzzle.

Edit: :shittydog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

PerniciousKnid posted:

And while most individual voters have particular beliefs that are more left than what the ACA represents, the fact is that no politician had yet successfully packaged a coherent progressive message.

Ouch my braaaaaaaaaaaain

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Okay, so I guess the strategy is for progressives to wait twenty years for their voters to grow up?

Yeah, that's exactly my point. The most far left policy to pass in America in half a century is fundamentally conservative (if less so than the Heritage thing implies). And while most individual voters have particular beliefs that are more left than what the ACA represents, the fact is that no politician had yet successfully packaged a coherent progressive message. If you figure out how to do it, run for office and I'll donate to your campaign if my wife says it's okay.

Personally, I don't think Democrats are the problem. The Republicans aren't the driving force for tax cuts and corporationism; Heritage, Club For Growth, etc. are. Who are the progressive thought leaders, providing a solid template for progressive ideology? Leftists have been satisfied to point to Science and say, "these studies support our ideas", but nobody is putting the pieces together. Where's the leftist AEI? Candidates are only the final piece of the puzzle.

Edit: :shittydog:

The strategy is the fallowing.

1. Purge party of sociopaths and ivyleagers.
2. End money from pacs.
3. Run on Medicare for all and breaking up your precious big banks.
4. Win and do as we promised.
5. Laugh as you join the gop.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

You don't win the demo primary on young voters, minority or not, you do it by winning older southern black voters. Bernie's campaign was doomed from the start because you just don't build the decades of connections the clinton's had overnight.

bernie would've won if the DNC wasn't so prone to cheating their own voters. oh well.

quote:

Which makes sense because older people naturally are more risk-adverse (and for good reason). It's kinda like how you switch over to safer investments as you get older.

they are also real prone to being tricked by scammers who steal all their money or tell them they're the most electable candidate in history

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

It's utterly hillaryous to see a Bernie supporter post this, considering it basically says that the Bernie wing of the country is basically non-existent and that the social liberalism/economic conservatism that clinton presented is the way to go.

Are you incapable of reading graphs?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I just want to point out that PerniciousKnid quoted me and said "you're ridiculous if you think Obama is a centrist after taxing the rich and subsidizing health care" and slid into "yes, that was my point, it's right wing legislation" without missing a beat.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Plus if you think the guy who taxed the rich to fund the most radical explanation of subsidized health care in fifty years is a centrist then your definition of left probably starts in the -0.5 column at best.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah, that's exactly my point. The most far left policy to pass in America in half a century is fundamentally conservative

There's no coherent line of argument here. "You wrongly think Obama is a centrist because he passed fundamentally conservative legislation" doesn't make any sense.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PerniciousKnid posted:

Buddy, sorry to say but you're a goddamn idiot. Everybody ITT knows that nobody in the US has done actual leftism for about half a century, this isn't news. The problem is that the only organization that could realistically get out and work to enact that coherent progressive message is the Democratic Party, and in the Democratic Party the establishment doesn't want that message and is more interested in keeping an iron grip on the party organs rather than cooperate with the left and work towards building an actual winning coalition.

So this is basically why the Democrats are a big part of the problem and why the establishment has got to go.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

The strategy is the fallowing.

1. Purge party of sociopaths and ivyleagers.
2. End money from pacs.
3. Run on Medicare for all and breaking up your precious big banks.
4. Win and do as we promised.
5. Laugh as you join the gop.

This is a lovely plan. Purging isn't a great way to reach a majority, maybe push a plan and focus on recruiting people to believe in it or at least go along with it. Also you left out a bunch of issues. And why would I join the GOP, when I'm the one interested in genuinely advancing progressivism while you choreograph circular firing squads? Do you want to impact politics, or bask in a smug sense of superiority? Because you can't do both.

Do you want to win over people in the real world, with a variety of priorities and beliefs, or do you want to win Reddit?

Ouch my braaaaaaaaaaaain

Sorry, I guess I Caveman Lawyered through the Sanders presidency.

Edit:

Cerebral Bore posted:

Buddy, sorry to say but you're a goddamn idiot. Everybody ITT knows that nobody in the US has done actual leftism for about half a century, this isn't news. The problem is that the only organization that could realistically get out and work to enact that coherent progressive message is the Democratic Party, and in the Democratic Party the establishment doesn't want that message and is more interested in keeping an iron grip on the party organs rather than cooperate with the left and work towards building an actual winning coalition.

Then to revisit my previous point, what are the organizations advancing progressivism? If that work is being done, is it low quality or does it just need a signal boost?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 21, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

And both candidates vastly outperformed in the youth vote, regardless of race. It was the older voters who were sufficiently convinced that Hillary was a shoo in and a reliable ally.

but one increased turnout, thereby increasing the effect of the overperformance, while the other didn't

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cerebral Bore posted:

The problem is that the only organization that could realistically get out and work to enact that coherent progressive message is the Democratic Party

wrong

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

but one increased turnout, thereby increasing the effect of the overperformance, while the other didn't

Don't blame Bernie for Hillary's lovely polling. As for their respective primary performance, that has been addressed already, Corbyn won because of unforeseen consequences of Labour's internal voting, which is incomparable to the months long, inscrutable process of American primaries.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

And while most individual voters have particular beliefs that are more left than what the ACA represents, the fact is that no politician had yet successfully packaged a coherent progressive message.

Are you loving kidding me?

Barack OfuckingBama did this in both of his campaigns, and won because of it. He didn't exactly follow through, policy-wise, but he talked the talk. Acting like it's somehow impossible to sell voters on a progressive message shows such incredible ignorance on your part.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

PerniciousKnid posted:

This is a lovely plan. Purging isn't a great way to reach a majority, maybe push a plan and focus on recruiting people to believe in it or at least go along with it. Also you left out a bunch of issues. And why would I join the GOP, when I'm the one interested in genuinely advancing progressivism while you choreograph circular firing squads? Do you want to impact politics, or bask in a smug sense of superiority? Because you can't do both.

Do you want to win over people in the real world, with a variety of priorities and beliefs, or do you want to win Reddit?

Sorry, I guess I Caveman Lawyered through the Sanders presidency.

Nah kicking out subhuman sociopaths like you means the non voters can trust us. I know you hate to hear that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Didn't take you for a third party faithful, but whatever floats your boat, I guess?

PerniciousKnid posted:

:ironicat:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PerniciousKnid appears to be an idiot

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

Barack OfuckingBama did this in both of his campaigns, and won because of it. He didn't exactly follow through, policy-wise, but he talked the talk. Acting like it's somehow impossible to sell voters on a progressive message shows such incredible ignorance on your part.

It is not ignorance. Pk is likley in medical insurance and only doesn't vote gop because they are not a white male. Pk lies because pk could be financially hit a bit by Bernie or allies winning.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Essentially all of the Silicon Valley tech companies support the DNC establishment. This is not including Wall Street and the MIC (although they support them as well). In 2020, you can bet that these companies are going to deceptively manipulate trends online in the favor of their bought off candidate. They're probably going to have their own boiler-rooms full of sockpuppet accounts pushing their narratives, too. It's going to be a mess.

Defeating the puppet (most likely Cory Booker) they put up in the primaries is going to be a tough challenge. Hillary was a stuttering, bumbling idiot on the same level as Mitt Romney in the area of public speaking, and yet, she still received the nomination largely due to dirty tricks and corruption within the DNC.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I just want to point out that PerniciousKnid quoted me and said "you're ridiculous if you think Obama is a centrist after taxing the rich and subsidizing health care" and slid into "yes, that was my point, it's right wing legislation" without missing a beat.

There's no coherent line of argument here. "You wrongly think Obama is a centrist because he passed fundamentally conservative legislation" doesn't make any sense.

Yeah I hosed that up. My point was just that Obama is relatively left for America but still not left in the sense you've been describing. American politicians aren't yet equipped to articulate progressivism, although Sanders was a marked improvement, among others.

Crowsbeak posted:

Nah kicking out subhuman sociopaths like you means the non voters can trust us. I know you hate to hear that.

What the gently caress is your problem?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah I hosed that up. My point was just that Obama is relatively left for America but still not left in the sense you've been describing. American politicians aren't yet equipped to articulate progressivism, although Sanders was a marked improvement, among others.

You lied through your teeth.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Majorian posted:

Acting like it's somehow impossible to sell voters on a progressive message shows such incredible ignorance on your part.

I never said that it's impossible. I said Democrats aren't good at it yet.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

They were quite good at it for a while. Bill Clinton and Barack Obama didn't win only because they're amazing orators touched by God (although that obviously didn't hurt). They also ran on at least relatively economically populist platforms. Their charisma helped make that pitch believable, but their respective victories were due to more than just their raw talent. They understood something that the unreconstructed Clintonistas of the party can't even be bothered to try to grasp.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

PerniciousKnid posted:

Who is the most popular politician in the country?

What is his message?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Then to revisit my previous point, what are the organizations advancing progressivism? If that work is being done, is it low quality or does it just need a signal boost?

The problem is that people/organizations with a bunch of money tend to not be leftist (because they wouldn't benefit from leftism), and money is required to create the sort of think tanks and advertisements you're talking about.

To be frank, your argument here is literally just "leftists aren't already in power, therefore leftists aren't already in power." Like, yeah, it's certainly true that leftists do not have much political influence. That is why it is important for individuals to support leftist politicians and speak with others about why they think leftism is good. What are you even proposing here? Are you saying that Democrats shouldn't move to the left because leftism isn't already popular? "Idea X isn't already popular/dominant" isn't exactly a strong argument against supporting helpful ideas.

Regardless, it's undeniably true that leftism is becoming more prominent within the Democratic Party. It's not yet dominant, but it's a hell of a lot more popular than it was 10+ years ago. This is the ideal time to express leftist ideology and support what few leftist organizations and individuals exist.

Majorian posted:

Eh, this isn't really the case. Obama did a very good job of using language that seemed to align with progressive values without actually being specific about what progressive/leftist policy he'd support (I think he may have mentioned the public option, but otherwise not much). It's the difference between saying "Income inequality is unacceptable!" and saying "I'm going to greatly increase taxes on the rich." One is just an assertion of a general principle, while the other refers to a specific action.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Here's a really good piece on Medium, entitled, The “Panera strategy” didn’t work for Ossoff. It won’t work for Dems nationally. A few quotes:

quote:

This strategy might work with wealthy, suburban voters, but it’s likely to turn off the vast majority of the Democratic base who failed to turnout for Democrats in 2016 and who they’ll need to win in 2018 and beyond. In fact, the establishment’s desired strategy does not seem fundamentally different from their failed approach in 2016 when Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) infamously declared:
“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

quote:

Among people of color, black turnout sharply declined. 2016 saw the lowest turnout since 2000 and a drop of 7.1 percent since 2012. 90 percent of African Americans thought Obama’s economic policies would be good for people like them, while only 62 percent believed the same for Hillary Clinton. Clinton’s share of the Latino vote also dropped 5 points from 2012, when 71 percent of Latinos voted to reelect President Obama.
42 percent of the voters who flipped from supporting Obama in 2012 to Trump in 2016 believed that Democrats’ economic policies favored the wealthy. Clinton beat Trump among union households by only 8 percent, the smallest Democratic advantage since Ronald Reagan’s victory in 1984. And in the Rust Belt, Trump didn’t flip white voters from Obama; Democrats just lost over 20 percent of them.
If Democratic strategists continue pushing the party to court wealthy voters and even wealthier donors to swing a handful of districts, they will continue to alienate the base and its desire for larger-scale economic redistribution. This is precisely the kind of crisis that left the Democratic Party vulnerable to low turnout rates and disastrous defections. To voters upset with Democrats’ continued responsibility for bad trade deals, rampant inequality, or generally feeling like the party takes them for granted, the amount of blue seats on a map won’t be very convincing.
The Democrats’ consultant class chase after this mythical moderate voter with business-friendly policies because of their mistaken view that politics solely exists on a left-right spectrum. As Bernie Sanders and Trump’s populist candidacies have shown, a more salient divide is emerging in American politics: top versus bottom. The traditional left versus right spectrum is losing relevance as many voters increasingly see politics as a struggle between the elite and the people. The rise of the 1% means that the working and middle class voters that Democrats wish to target feel left behind and would resonate with a populist message centering issues of healthcare, childcare, and college.
Many Republican donors have adapted the change in political weather by riding the wave of the Tea Party’s populist energy rather than quelling it. They have defeated Democrats in every level of government by feeding and activating their base constituencies with right-wing populism while Democrats have continuously taken their base for granted.

In summary, launch Brian Fallon into the sun please.

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, this isn't really the case. Obama did a very good job of using language that seemed to align with progressive values without actually being specific about what progressive/leftist policy he'd support (I think he may have mentioned the public option, but otherwise not much). It's the difference between saying "Income inequality is unacceptable!" and saying "I'm going to greatly increase taxes on the rich." One is just an assertion of a general principle, while the other refers to a specific action.

Who says one has to be specific in crafting a progressive message? One can easily craft a progressive pitch that is really basic and filled with platitudes. Trump outflanked Clinton on populism while being incredibly vague and disingenuous. While we don't want Democratic candidates to lie to their voters or mislead them, my point is that the electorate is hungry for populist promises - and has been for a while.

e: Also, give Obama's speech on the economy in October of '08 another look. Say what you will about how willing he was to follow through on it, but this is an economic justice pitch.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 22, 2017

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Who is the most popular politician in the country?

What is his message?

Bernie Sanders identified as a socialist and didn't get run out of the country, and I found that very exciting. But he also didn't owe his popularity to that as much as to his outsider presentation, according to most of the data I've seen. It's an optimistic step, but if you tell me that Sanders did well for the same reason as Donald Trump, I'm gonna temper my expectations.

I still think a progressive in the White House is perfectly doable for 2020, but I think the message that gets us there hasn't been refined yet, or at least I haven't seen it in action.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Bernie Sanders identified as a socialist and didn't get run out of the country, and I found that very exciting. But he also didn't owe his popularity to that as much as to his outsider presentation, according to most of the data I've seen. It's an optimistic step, but if you tell me that Sanders did well for the same reason as Donald Trump, I'm gonna temper my expectations.

It seems to me that the lesson you should be taking from that is, "Don't run someone who comes off as just another politician."

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The fact that it's named the "Panera Strategy" should have been a giant rear end warning sign.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

PerniciousKnid posted:

But he also didn't owe his popularity to that as much as to his outsider presentation, according to most of the data I've seen.

I'd like to see that data, if you don't mind.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PerniciousKnid posted:

Bernie Sanders identified as a socialist and didn't get run out of the country

He very nearly took home the presidential nomination from a party he didn't belong to with zero national name recognition. I think you might be minimizing what happened a little bit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Majorian posted:

Who says one has to be specific in crafting a progressive message? One can easily craft a progressive pitch that is really basic and filled with platitudes. Trump outflanked Clinton on populism while being incredibly vague and disingenuous. While we don't want Democratic candidates to lie to their voters or mislead them, my point is that the electorate is hungry for populist promises - and has been for a while.

The thing is, those ideas aren't inherently progressive unless they're backed up by some idea of the policy that would be used to achieve them. Even conservatives talk about fighting poverty, but that doesn't make them progressive. The things he said could sound good to people from across the political spectrum. I agree that using language like Obama did is useful for winning elections, but I think it would be even better if politicians explicitly mentioned actual progressive/leftist ideas instead of just vaguely alluding to goals like "fighting income inequality."

edit: At the end of the day, most people, regardless of ideology, share the same general goals of making people physically and economically healthy and happy. What determines ideology is how one wants to achieve those goals. Democrats have formed an art out of expressing progressive-sounding ideas in vague terms that don't actually promise anything concrete.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I still think a progressive in the White House is perfectly doable for 2020, but I think the message that gets us there hasn't been refined yet, or at least I haven't seen it in action.

It doesn't matter if most people actively support leftism; all that matters is that they're not actively against it and don't mind voting for someone who supports such ideas. It's also not clear what point you're even trying to make. Are you trying to argue that Democrats shouldn't move to the left? No one in this thread has the power to magically create leftist politicians and political organizations; the best most of us can do is donate to people/organizations that are good and express our own support for leftist/progressive ideas. The current lack of an organized left is not a reasonable argument against attempting to form such a movement.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 22, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Not his job, get over it.

No?

The revolving door between government and private industry is a big problem. "Just get over it" is bad governance because it's an invitation for corruption, and worse politics because people who got screwed by white-collar criminals aren't going to "get over" politicians taking money from the crooks they protected while in office.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

No?

The revolving door between government and private industry is a big problem. "Just get over it" is bad governance because it's an invitation for corruption, and worse politics because people who got screwed by white-collar criminals aren't going to "get over" politicians taking money from the crooks they protected while in office.

:goonsay: "Ahem, I think you'll find that Obama was not officially hired by a Wall Street bank, therefore..."

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The left needs to drop this silly term 'progressive' in favor of the term 'socialism'. Centrists and corporate democrats are deceptively co-opting the term for themselves already. The term 'socialism' cuts through the bullshit, and no centrist will use it to refer to themselves for votes.

Just a thought.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RedSpider posted:

The left needs to drop this silly term 'progressive' in favor of the term 'socialism'. Centrists and corporate democrats are deceptively co-opting the term for themselves already. The term 'socialism' cuts through the bullshit, and no centrist will use it to refer to themselves for votes.

Just a thought.

Yeah, the problem with the term "progressive" is that it is used to refer to a variety of different ideas. When someone says they're progressive it's not clear if they're referring to being left-wing economically or being socially liberal (or both).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RedSpider posted:

Just a thought.

I mean, I think that would be great but not even Corbyn is really there yet and we have Diet Corbyn at best.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I mean, I think that would be great but not even Corbyn is really there yet and we have Diet Corbyn at best.

I'm not sure an imperial power is wholly ready for anywhere near full-strength Corbyn, but one can always dream.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

RedSpider posted:

Just a thought.

But you're right for the US

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

tekz posted:

But you're right for the US

Joke's on you, Macron is literally the long term end result of the PS neolibs desperately trying to do exactly that.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Agnosticnixie posted:

I'm not sure an imperial power is wholly ready for anywhere near full-strength Corbyn, but one can always dream.

Who is closest to America's version of the Absolute Boy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Brony Car posted:

Who is closest to America's version of the Absolute Boy?
franken

• Locked thread