Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mandatory lesbian posted:

weren't both those uncommon tho? i actually think 4 mana is fine since i think murder is good at 3 mana, but I also think it shouldn't be a rare just because of an upside that comes up maybe once every 100 games

Gild was rare. Oblivion Strike was common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I agree that since it is so narrow on its plus side it should hit library and graveyards, especially since these new Gods spend some time in the graveyard before coming back.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

DangerDongs posted:

I agree that since it is so narrow on its plus side it should hit library and graveyards, especially since these new Gods spend some time in the graveyard before coming back.

They spent the time from the killing to the end of the same turn, i.e. not a lot of time.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Gild was rare. Oblivion Strike was common.

hmm, alright i see they consider any upside to be rare worthy. still not a fan but at least it's consistent

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Unlike those two, this is instant.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

weren't both those uncommon tho? i actually think 4 mana is fine since i think murder is good at 3 mana, but I also think it shouldn't be a rare just because of an upside that comes up maybe once every 100 games

Gild was rare. Sorcery speed but argueably higher upside.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

YggdrasilTM posted:

They spent the time from the killing to the end of the same turn, i.e. not a lot of time.

There are situations where this will matter. They attack and trade and then follow up immediately by casting a second copy, or they are pitching these to the graveyard via effects like tormenting voice while having an other in play. It's slim, but so is any benefit from casting this card.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Michael Majors is joining the new R&D game balance team, that's a really good hire I think.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I'm ready for Ixalan and Grixis Pirates

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

YggdrasilTM posted:

Let's say 1. Better PtE for Black! Fatal push is now obsolete!

Now you're talking

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Tales of Woe posted:

Michael Majors is joining the new R&D game balance team, that's a really good hire I think.

Kinda sad though because I've been enjoying GAM podcast.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tales of Woe posted:

Man, think of all the benefits we get in 2019!?!?!

My money is on WOTC not extending their contracts because they do not want anything but yes men.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DangerDongs posted:

There are situations where this will matter. They attack and trade and then follow up immediately by casting a second copy, or they are pitching these to the graveyard via effects like tormenting voice while having an other in play. It's slim, but so is any benefit from casting this card.

In the first case you'd just cast this at end of turn once they've returned the other copy to their hand, and in the second it doesn't really matter unless they have the potential to get it back from the graveyard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggdrasilTM posted:

Let's say 1. Better PtE for Black! Fatal push is now obsolete!

gently caress, why have it cost mana? Yu-Gi-Oh had the right idea.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sickening posted:

Man, think of all the benefits we get in 2019!?!?!

My money is on WOTC not extending their contracts because they do not want anything but yes men.

I hope not. Majors is great and I'm excited to see what kind of influence he can have on the design team, especially since they're been churning out unimpressive/unexciting stuff for awhile.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

As long as I can play it in my deck without having to make a difficult decision, I'm on board

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tales of Woe posted:

gently caress. This means GAM podcast is dead, since they already took Andrew.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

Now you're talking

You guys do realize it's possible to acknowledge that it's consistent with their previous policies while also thinking hard removal should be slightly buffed, right

I'm not even sure I agree but this strawmanning is silly

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Elyv posted:

You guys do realize it's possible to acknowledge that it's consistent with their previous policies while also thinking hard removal should be slightly buffed, right

I'm not even sure I agree but this strawmanning is silly

I'm being sincere

your move, internet argument guru

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh is so completely unbalanced that they actually have what is literally a Plague Wind with no cost legal at 1 copy per deck (Raigeki) on top of what is Wrath of God with no cost at 2 copies per deck (Dark Hole) and they're barely relevant.

But we can go further than Yugioh, why not make it give you mana instead of cost you mana?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh is so completely unbalanced that they actually have what is literally a Plague Wind with no cost legal at 1 copy per deck (Raigeki) on top of what is Wrath of God with no cost at 2 copies per deck (Dark Hole) and they're barely relevant.

But we can go further than Yugioh, why not make it give you mana instead of cost you mana?

Zero cmc, exile a creature, Dark ritual

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Zero cmc, exile a creature, Dark ritual

Nah, that should be at least a modal card for balance:

* Add BBB to your mana pool.
* Exile target creature.
* Choose two of the above options.

:v:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
BBB

Destroy all creatures, add BBB to your mana pool at the beginning of your next main phase

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I just realised this common from the last set foreshadows the Scorpion God killing the five Amonkhet Gods, which I thought was pretty cool.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Ehhh, I don't think that's foreshadowing, nor do I think that the Scorpion God will be the one to kill all 5 gods, if all 5 are even killed. I can see how you read that into it, but I think it's a way to say that scorpions hurt.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shadow225 posted:

Ehhh, I don't think that's foreshadowing, nor do I think that the Scorpion God will be the one to kill all 5 gods, if all 5 are even killed. I can see how you read that into it, but I think it's a way to say that scorpions hurt.

But it does have Bolas's horns on its face.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

YggdrasilTM posted:

I don't remember recent monoblack removal with 3cmc that exiles. They are all at 4 cmc or more.

e: yep, the only existing inconditional 3cmc exile black spell is Oubliette

Unmake.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elyv posted:

the art for Hour of Glory is pretty silly

I mean, Fight isn't actually called Fight given that Prepare to Fight is a card, but I assume the rules text is right

Ready to Rumble :getin:

(Except not really because Ready//Willing is a card.)

Maybe Reason to Exist.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

AlternateNu posted:

Ready to Rumble :getin:

(Except not really because Ready//Willing is a card.)

Maybe Reason to Exist.

Reason to Live.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Has anyone said Ashes to Ashes yet?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think they'd still print exile target creature at BBB if they had a reason to make triple-color spells, though it wouldn't be a common

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

odiv posted:

Ashes to Ashes.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

odiv posted:

Funk to Funky

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MTGO is funny. Match 4 opponent conceded the match at the end of game 2, after winning game 1 barely through my mull to 5 (UG Infect seems to have a horrendous matchup against UB, can't really blame them.) Match 5 opponent played Land, Land Augur, Land and then DCed for 10 minutes and timed out.

https://twitter.com/MagicOnline/status/877665277512622081

I also got booted from MTGO about 15 minutes after that last match, while trying to make a better deck. Can't log in, good times. Guess my Match 5 opponent got booted before me.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Elyv posted:

the art for Hour of Glory is pretty silly

I mean, Fight isn't actually called Fight given that Prepare to Fight is a card, but I assume the rules text is right

the literal translation for the combined names is something along the lines of Just Cause so go figure out some synonym that involves the word to

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

dragon enthusiast posted:

the literal translation for the combined names is something along the lines of Just Cause so go figure out some synonym that involves the word to

Causus to belli.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Just to Survive

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Right to rule?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

Here is a real card that is real.

Checks out. My uncle works at Wizards.

I wish it was real.

Oh, wait. Still wouldn't stop fetch lands.

4 color decks forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Right to rule?

Ooh, not bad.