Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lemming posted:

If I had one wish it'd be every time anyone said this they'd immediately get struck by lightning

Yeah, I cringed. Ossoff's a good dude; if he runs again I hope he just dumps that one.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

I love this for some reason.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pakled posted:

You're comparing special election turnout to presidential election turnout. Dem voters in particular are hard to motivate to turn out to "less important" elections.

I mean, if we're gonna play that game, it was also the most hyped, publicized, and heavily funded special election in recent memory, and I cannot stress enough the complete facelessness and basic nonexistence of Rodney Stooksbury, so I'd still hesitate to call this a historic victory

D.N. Nation posted:

Point 2's "Washington sucks" was less "Trump sucks" and more "stop frivolous spending"/"I'll work across the aisle", which granted isn't a great message from a Democrat but plays well in places where David Brooks columns are taken as a source of intellectual inspiration and not toilet paper.

Anyone who wants to curb government spending and for Democrats to cooperate with Republicans is going to vote Republican, rear end in a top hat suburbs or not

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Zemyla posted:

The delightful mix of blob-ular McConnell; not-overbourne self-awareness and being rather apt?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Zemyla posted:

It's very meta, sort of directed at weirdos like us who follow political cartoons. It kind of reminds me of "Gonzalez" the cartoonist in Matt Bors's cartoons.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Philip Hammond’s Mansion House speech – The chill-out chancellor’s Mansion House speech promised the City everything – just to cause maximum distress to the Maybot"

Telegraph:

Corbyn taunts May as she backs down on election pledges in Queen's speech

Independent:

Queen's Speech delayed because it has to be printed on goatskin paper that takes days for ink to dry

Times:

Evening Standard:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it seems to me that they could print the speech on the special archival paper, set it aside to dry, and then give the queen a laser print to read from, but i guess that's why i'm not the queen

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, it'd be nice to see someone actually run on a leftist platform and fail, instead of the usual nobody's-happy compromises that also fail.
iirc this happened in 2016, several times over in fact. Bernouts aggressively ignore this when you point it out, or try to blame Clinton because of course they do (even though some of those losses happened in places she herself did well), to the surprise of absolutely no one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

U.T. Raptor posted:

iirc this happened in 2016, several times over in fact. Bernouts aggressively ignore this when you point it out, or try to blame Clinton because of course they do (even though some of those losses happened in places she herself did well), to the surprise of absolutely no one.

Lol. Didn't know Fulchrum had a baby brother.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lemming posted:

If I had one wish it'd be every time anyone said this they'd immediately get struck by lightning

"I'll work across the aisle" is something Candidate Obama stressed in 2008, and it played pretty well then!

Eight years of obstructionism and dozens of attempts at ACA repeal later, most Democratic voters are thoroughly uninterested in the idea

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

D.N. Nation posted:

This'll look just terrific in B&W.

Few pages late, but it only got printed in the AJC today.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm honestly surprised that Theresa May has lasted this long. I legitimately thought that her party would dump her within the week.

I suppose that she just doesn't have the dignity and grace of noted pig-fucker David Cameron, and wants to just hang on no matter what instead of bowing out willingly.

U.T. Raptor posted:

When you point this out, they usually try to claim that Tammy Duckworth is actually a pure leftist rising star in the party, and ignore poo poo like the run of Zephyr Rain.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Can we borrow Corbyn? Like...just for 2018?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Pants Donkey posted:

Can we borrow Corbyn? Like...just for 2018?

Corbyn would kill for the sort of swings the Dems have been getting

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Theresa May has lasted this long. I legitimately thought that her party would dump her within the week.

I suppose that she just doesn't have the dignity and grace of noted pig-fucker David Cameron, and wants to just hang on no matter what instead of bowing out willingly.

No one else wants the job. If she steps down, whoever takes her place has to either:

A) Negotiate a deal with a minor party of gibbering lunatics to enable them to push through dramatically self-destructive Brexit policy
or
B) Immediately lose an election to Jeremy Corbyn.

Who's going to want to face that? May's career is already dead, they can use its still-warm corpse as a shield.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sandpuppy posted:

*ahem*... Kim Jong Un is...BAD. Pulitzer, please.

Is it normal in the US for doctors to set up press conferences in random hospital hallways?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Gum posted:

Corbyn would kill for the sort of swings the Dems have been getting

Yet can't get the win :negative:

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Senate health care bill working group is all male. (Note the padlock.)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Selachian posted:

The Senate health care bill working group is all male. (Note the padlock.)

Telnaes's faces are all delightful.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

When you point this out, they usually try to claim that Tammy Duckworth is actually a pure leftist rising star in the party, and ignore poo poo like the run of Zephyr Rain.

Can you explain what this means? I like Tammy Duckworth, but I'm not sure how liberal she is. She's got a great personal story (Democrats already have our greatest president as someone who couldn't walk, so why not another?) and I remember her grilling someone for taking advantage of VA benefit fraud. I'm not sure who Zephyr Rain is or why they're related to Duckworth, and google is somewhat unclear.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
A lot of Democratic politicians aren't terribly left, and that's because of the problem with the Republican Party being so absolutely batshit insane that traditionally conservative politicians have no place there. Politicians that in Europe would be center-right like Macron are Democrat in the USA, because they aren't interested in things like climate change denial or mad conspiracy theories.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Selachian posted:

The Senate health care bill working group is all male.
Do the Republicans ever discuss why that is or why it's okay, for any of the various times it happens? I mean I know no one can make them but I wonder if a comment about it ever slipped out by accident.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do the Republicans ever discuss why that is or why it's okay, for any of the various times it happens? I mean I know no one can make them but I wonder if a comment about it ever slipped out by accident.

"If men and women are truly equal, then it doesn't matter. You're the real sexist for implying it makes a difference."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Pakled posted:

"If men and women are truly equal, then it doesn't matter. You're the real sexist for implying it makes a difference."

If that cartoon is a fair representation, it's all white, too.

Obviously Republicans are completely non-racist and non-sexist, which is why their committee is all-white-male - they'd never commit "reverse racism" by "promoting an unqualified minority or woman."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

If that cartoon is a fair representation, it's all white, too.

The guy with the beak is Ted Cruz.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Ted Cruz is rrrrrrrrrreal loving white

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jurgan posted:

White and/or slime golems.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

U.T. Raptor posted:

It's grimly comical that being endorsed by Bernie is a near guarantee that you lost your election. Hillary is included in this.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

All you need to know about that heartbreaking situation is that our government did not free him sooner- maybe they didn't even try- and that the Supreme Court ruled that people released from Guantanamo Bay cannot sue the people responsible.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BarbarianElephant posted:

A lot of Democratic politicians aren't terribly left, and that's because of the problem with the Republican Party being so absolutely batshit insane that traditionally conservative politicians have no place there. Politicians that in Europe would be center-right like Macron are Democrat in the USA, because they aren't interested in things like climate change denial or mad conspiracy theories.

This is the biggest why I hate what the Republicans have become as they have gone so crazy that almost all political discourse has been hosed. Questions like the environment where the question should be how much resources we spend combating climate change and how they should be allocated have become should we do anything at all about the matter.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

U.T. Raptor posted:

Clinton's strategy was to appeal to dissatisfied Romney voters who would split their tickets for her while voting Republican downballot and assuming these would make up for losing blue collar voters, so it would be weird if she didn't outrun the downballot given her strategy.

She succeeded in the first part, getting wealthy Republicans to split their tickets, but miscalculated somewhat when it came to the second part, whoops.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/thenib/status/877574724422844417

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

gently caress YES

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Garrison posted:

My take on the Georgia special election won by Karen Handel. The biggest loser was the DNC, spending a whopping 50 million on the race to replace Rep. Tom Price in the US House. Liberal hack Mr. Madow blamed "bad weather" for Jon Ossoff's crushing defeat. Which Dem will blame Russia next?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Attack on Titan goes weird.

• Locked thread