Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

kayakyakr posted:

There's a reason why Clemson, for many years, has had among the highest paid OC and DC in the nation.

pfft, you think that clipboard is only a cod piece?

For real though, no one here expects him to be calling plays. He use to be more involved when he first got the job and I swear he called every trick play that didn't work. He figured it out though and found/hired the best (found Chad Morris, hired Venables who was getting ran out of Oklahoma [loving lol]) and focused on making every recruits mama fall in love with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

More time for baptizing players at practice

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sometimes I like to think they put the national championship trophy on that tiger's head like a hat and that's how they display it

and then Dabo does that dumb long stare again

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 22, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just found out Texas State plays UTSA the same day as my Descendents concert :negative:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pillsburysoldier posted:

Sometimes I like to think they put the national championship trophy on that tiger's head like a hat and that's how they display it

and then Dabo does that dumb long stare again

When you stare into the tiger, sometimes the tiger stares back.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Raku posted:

His story about midnight pussy and hillary clinton still owns

Sharing is caring friendo.

Scarf posted:

I'm pretty sure HC at bama is like 6th in line for the presidency anyway.

I can go pull voting records if work is slow, but he consistently places in most elections with a write in option in the state.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Warbird posted:

Sharing is caring friendo.

I can go pull voting records if work is slow, but he consistently places in most elections with a write in option in the state.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nick-saban-hillary-clinton/

lock it up by midnight or it ain't worth it, kids

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

What is this Saban midnight pussy thing?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Scarf posted:

Although I'm 100% sure I'd disagree with his policies, I'd vote for Saban for POTUS in a heartbeat.

Harbaugh for VP

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

drewhead posted:

Harbaugh for VP

So Joe Biden 2.0 then?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

loving :lol: that Hillary quote

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Raw doggin Hilldawg :quagmire:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Nick Saban rules.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Scarf posted:

I'm pretty sure HC at bama is like 6th in line for the presidency anyway.

If The South Would Have Won

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Korranus posted:

If The South Would Have Won

If the Confederacy survived, then I'm pretty sure interstate conflicts would be resolved through SEC football games and not the Supreme Court.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pakled posted:

If the Confederacy survived, then I'm pretty sure interstate conflicts would be resolved through SEC football games and not the Supreme Court.

Nah, the supreme court would be the playoff committee of the land.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

Nah, the supreme court would be the playoff committee of the land.

5-4 decisions are the ACC's territory though

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
A&M is the best Texas public school at making money through athletics.
Texas is second best. Everyone else loses money, Houston loses the most.
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06/22/ballpark-figures-texas-m-reigns-uh-gets-boost-texas-college-sports-rev/

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06/22/ballpark-figures-texas-m-reigns-uh-gets-boost-texas-college-sports-rev/

The numbers for Texas Tech need a huge asterisk. Tech does not sell tickets to students but instead attaches a fee to full-time student costs. This is accounted for as a subsidy from the school to the athletics department, so while Tech operates a balanced budget, it always shows a $1-2 million deficit between revenue and expenses.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Spacebump posted:

Aren't A&Ms numbers inflated due to the stadium work and the cult of aggiedom donating their life savings or something?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The problem with these kind of articles is it only looks at raw money coming in and out, and never looks at why that defecit spending is okay.

UH athletics is like Tech where it has always had student fees. It's not intended to make money. It's marketing. The student fees were part of the deal that created the athletic department to begin with and they've been voted in favor of by the students every year since 1946. It's how an urban school with no oil royalty fund (UT, A&M) and no old money (SMU, TCU, Baylor, Rice) built up and got in the Southwest Conference. Without it, UH never has any athletics, never mind a football team...and without that identity probably would be in the University of Texas system today.

The real problem with athletic revenue isn't the student subsidy or even the lack of TV money...it's how the giving alumni base is 90% Baby Boomers from the 60s and 70s classes because UH pissed away the 80s and 90s and completely lost Generation X. Millenial alums like me will have to bridge the gap when the Boomers finish dying off and that's going to make some skinny days until we get that kind of disposable income.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

The real problem with athletic revenue isn't the student subsidy or even the lack of TV money...it's how the giving alumni base is 90% Baby Boomers from the 60s and 70s classes because UH pissed away the 80s and 90s and completely lost Generation X. Millenial alums like me will have to bridge the gap when the Boomers finish dying off and that's going to make some skinny days until we get that kind of disposable income.

To be fair, the Gen X'ers are currently at the age where they have money but they're not quite influenced easily enough for development departments to easily take it from them. They're also not quite old enough to for life insurance policies to start paying out. Boomers and the silent generation make up most of the donor base for all schools.

I do think that Gen X and Millennials are going to be less likely to donate to the schools. Gen X because they're less giving overall and Millennials because the colleges really screwed them over.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I'm a UH season ticket holder and its hilariously cheap ($125 per ticket for the whole season) which is poo poo this year, but last year included the OU and Louisville game. I am a fan of the deficit spending UH AD - I definitely wouldn't get UH season tickets if they were more expensive.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sab0921 posted:

I'm a UH season ticket holder and its hilariously cheap ($125 per ticket for the whole season) which is poo poo this year, but last year included the OU and Louisville game. I am a fan of the deficit spending UH AD - I definitely wouldn't get UH season tickets if they were more expensive.

That is ridiculously cheap. My endzone seats at Tech cost me $300/year when all is said and done.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I'm going to loving hate having a 33-year-old as a head coach unless he wins football games

https://twitter.com/LincolnRiley/status/878253190885408768

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

TipTow posted:

I'm going to loving hate having a 33-year-old as a head coach unless he wins football games

https://twitter.com/LincolnRiley/status/878253190885408768

Quit being an old person, a) emojis are fun and cool and b) recruits like it and c) who gives a poo poo

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
:lol: if you think the last 10 years of college students paying off student loans for decades are going to donate in meaningful numbers anytime soon

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Quandary posted:

Quit being an old person, a) emojis are fun and cool and b) recruits like it and c) who gives a poo poo

My 62 year old mother stopped by my house on Tuesday and brought me some chicken and rice she'd made. Ate it for dinner and texted her back thanks and that it was really good (it was). She responded with "Glad to hear it (thumbsup emoji) it was (fire emoji)". I sat on my couch dumbfounded for a solid 5 minutes.

Besides, coaches often use that stuff to hype up fans as well as interact with players. A lot of them will basically tell you a recruiting verbal just happened or is coming soon with various emoji or hashtags.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 23, 2017

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Frinkahedron posted:

:lol: if you think the last 10 years of college students paying off student loans for decades are going to donate in meaningful numbers anytime soon

This is me. I love Mizzou, but I will not be donating probably ever, unless I become a millionaire.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I have zero student loans and there's zero chance I'd ever donate to UF unless i made so much money it put me in a different tax bracket or something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

I have zero student loans and there's zero chance I'd ever donate to UF unless i made so much money it put me in a different tax bracket or something.

That's not how tax brackets work.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Frinkahedron posted:

I mean, who needs to rely on the kindness of a few rich alumni when you can just gouge 98% of the students who come through the school?

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

the mean lunch lady posted:

This is me. I love Mizzou, but I will not be donating probably ever, unless I become a millionaire.

I didn't attend a school that extorts donations for football season tickets so I can't see donating money ever unless I had so much money that I could get the business school renamed after me. Even then I'd probably rather buy a gulfstream or something.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
If I wanted to use somewhere between a few dollars and many thousands of dollars to support my school I'd probably just buy stuff. Ranging from like a t-shirt all the way up to a luxury football suite, depending on how much money I wanted to throw at them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Quandary posted:

They make me feel like I'm reading that page in Highlights magazine that replaced random words with pictures to help you learn how to read.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I once got a call from my university asking for a donation. They knew I was a recent graduate and still started asking of I'd be willing to donate like $500. I laughed at them.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I feel bad for those folks calling to get donations because they are usually doing that for some cash while they work at school and know that people hate getting those calls.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
How does that call go? My school never called me for donations for whatever reason. Maybe they realized I wouldn't be making any money with my major (they were right).

"Yes hi I know you just finished a time in your life where you will be several thousand dollars in debt for the rest of your life but would you mind giving us even more money?"

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wouldn't consider donating a dime to Texas until they start playing A&M in football again.

Then again I also have lots of student loan debt so it's not like I could donate even if I wanted to. Maybe one day when I'm rich... :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I would pay $200 for a 9 win season, and $400 for a 10 win season (bowls excluded)

• Locked thread