Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

But for reals the best thing to do about racists in game is choose ignore them. You can choose was does and does not anger you, these guys are just a bunch of nobodies being shitheads on the internet. They should not be so upsetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

I have this game, played about a half hour of it and I just can't seem to get into it. Idk, it doesn't give me the same feeling BF: vietnam or BFBC2: vietnam did

it's not trying to. bf games are much, much more arcadey than redorchestra style games. this is a game for ppl who liked ro/ro2 and it does that pretty well imo.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Das Butterbrot posted:

it's not trying to. bf games are much, much more arcadey than redorchestra style games. this is a game for ppl who liked ro/ro2 and it does that pretty well imo.

Ya it's a totally different game style than BF and I think they did a real solid job here.

As was the case in RO it is really, really important to play on a server with good players... And the groups of good players are still kinda moving around a lot in this, so it's super hit or miss.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This game could use like a bunch more maps. How did they ship this with only 5 maps?

I mean there is firebase and compound but no one ever plays those cause they suck.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cu Chi is the only map I throughly enjoy the rest while interesting aren't fun to play.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Popete posted:

This game could use like a bunch more maps. How did they ship this with only 5 maps?

I mean there is firebase and compound but no one ever plays those cause they suck.

For the price I find it difficult to complain to much. Many full prices games only come with 8-10. More maps would certainly be a plus though and I look forward to the workshop launching.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DoctorStrangelove posted:

But for reals the best thing to do about racists in game is choose ignore them. You can choose was does and does not anger you, these guys are just a bunch of nobodies being shitheads on the internet. They should not be so upsetting.

the easiest way to ignore the racists is just to not play the game thats chock full of racists if i have to compromise by turning off the parts of the game that allow people to be racist at me

again overwatch handles this extremely well. RS2 just has a backwards interface and attitude towards how selectively muting players enhances a game

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Buschmaki posted:

Whenever people are racist I'm just gonna start insulting white people like a blaxploitation hero. I've had enough of honky-tonk crackers ruining games for me.

drat, that is infuriating. You should try the euro servers, I've played this game for 26 hours and never ran into any voice chat racists. There was one fucker who spouted a bunch of racist poo poo in the chat. I did my old RO trick; First an obvious teamkill to get them riled up, and then pretend to attack them, shoot them in the leg with a pistol etc to get them to TK you in turn. Act all butthurt in chat, let them gloat, then do the same again until they TK you enough to get kicked the gently caress out of the server.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 20, 2017

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
holy gently caress there are racist dickheads, on the internet no less, playing shooter games

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Taking smoke grenades from squad leaders is a real loving dumb move; as it is scouts/pointmen rarely decide to chuck them unless they took it that as squad lead.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popete posted:

Making maps is hard. Look at their patch notes though they certainly aren't slacking.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There are already a few custom maps that people have put up on servers for testing, a couple of which are incredibly high quality so far. It should also be entirely possible to cannibalize the supremecy maps for territories, or flip the spawns of the territories maps for some more variety.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Is there a way to give up the squad leader role when you get it? I seem to inherit it by getting promoted into the spot during a game and I'm not exactly sure how this happens.

Most of the time it's not a big deal, but being promoted to Squad Leader as an American sniper sucks for everyone, because I'm usually at a spot where no one want to spawn from. It's not so bad as the VC because I can just dig a tunnel as I go to my setup point.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Is there a way to give up the squad leader role when you get it? I seem to inherit it by getting promoted into the spot during a game and I'm not exactly sure how this happens.

Most of the time it's not a big deal, but being promoted to Squad Leader as an American sniper sucks for everyone, because I'm usually at a spot where no one want to spawn from. It's not so bad as the VC because I can just dig a tunnel as I go to my setup point.

leave the squad and rejoin it

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Go to role selection and look to the right of the name. Click on the rank stripes to promote someone.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
cool, thanks!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Not to take you all away from racism chat but

The new patch put in a cool new bug. If your commander force spawns you (rapid deploy/ambush) there is a high chance you will spawn and your screen will immediately go black like you're dead.
The only way I've found to fix it is ~suicide

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Speaking of new maps, it looks like all of the old Red Orchestra/Rising Storm maps are fully compatible with the RS2 SDK. I've been able to load a few RO2 maps and run around as a PLN soldier with an AK. The problem I'm running into, though, is that I don't know how to get the textures and lighting working properly. I'm not familiar with the Unreal editor or the RO2 version, so I'm just kind of guessing as to how things work at the moment.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

i just bought this game based on the past 60 posts, joined my first game and sent some GI's home in body bags with an sks, i should have been a small vietnamese boy in the 60's instead of an american ogre in the 2010's.

i feel lied to though i have not heard a single bit of racism! only tactical communications! sad!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Savage For The Winjun posted:

i just bought this game based on the past 60 posts, joined my first game and sent some GI's home in body bags with an sks, i should have been a small vietnamese boy in the 60's instead of an american ogre in the 2010's.

i feel lied to though i have not heard a single bit of racism! only tactical communications! sad!

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

go home gi

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

leave the squad and rejoin it

when you press . and bring up the weapon/squad select thing, each person's name has a little button to the right of it to promote them to squad leader.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Taking smoke grenades from squad leaders is a real loving dumb move; as it is scouts/pointmen rarely decide to chuck them unless they took it that as squad lead.

When I squad lead on the US I try to be the Radioman. He isn't picked a lot so the role is probably open. Then you just let people spawn and throw smokes, running back and forth to the ammo crate. Sometimes the commander may want to use you to make a collect call and you let him.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol "two dudes on one team have a combined kill count that surmount the rest of the server", "Dude, the us commander can get a lot ok. there is not hacking"

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
US commander honestly should be getting a huge amount of kills if he is making good decisions.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

turn off the TV posted:

Speaking of new maps, it looks like all of the old Red Orchestra/Rising Storm maps are fully compatible with the RS2 SDK. I've been able to load a few RO2 maps and run around as a PLN soldier with an AK. The problem I'm running into, though, is that I don't know how to get the textures and lighting working properly. I'm not familiar with the Unreal editor or the RO2 version, so I'm just kind of guessing as to how things work at the moment.

there are some good tutorials that can give you a decent start, but i wouldn't recommend trying to import/modify RO2 maps for this. it'd be easier in the long run to remake it on your own, so you don't get glitchy textures and lighting and can ensure all objectives and markers are properly placed, whereas importing you can miss small things and then poo poo gets weird.

Commoners posted:

US commander honestly should be getting a huge amount of kills if he is making good decisions.

like having command autism and predicting the other commanders moves. always a good feeling.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

automaticswim posted:

there are some good tutorials that can give you a decent start, but i wouldn't recommend trying to import/modify RO2 maps for this. it'd be easier in the long run to remake it on your own, so you don't get glitchy textures and lighting and can ensure all objectives and markers are properly placed, whereas importing you can miss small things and then poo poo gets weird.

like having command autism and predicting the other commanders moves. always a good feeling.

I was actually able to get some RS maps to load with almost every single asset properly textured, sky box working, etc. While I'm not sure how you would be able to get that stuff loading in the client, I was thinking more along the lines of custom map creators having a leg up in recreating their old content.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Someone let me know when they fix the black screen bug.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Anyone else get the red screen bug? Happens when you get dropped off by heli into an area outside the combat zone. Screen turns red because you've got a few seconds to get back onto the map before you die, but once you do, the infrared predator-style screen doesn't go away.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
that was supposedly fixed in the latest patch, but i guess not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
It probably did then. The last time it happened to me was a few days ago.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ded posted:

Not to take you all away from racism chat but

The new patch put in a cool new bug. If your commander force spawns you (rapid deploy/ambush) there is a high chance you will spawn and your screen will immediately go black like you're dead.
The only way I've found to fix it is ~suicide

Yep had this happen :(

Also loving stop ambush spawning me at the worst possible spawn when I am using squad tunnels >_<

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

JFC posted:

Someone let me know when they fix the black screen bug.

If it happens respawning by bringing up the console and typing suicide will fix it it seems.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Mega Comrade posted:

If it happens respawning by bringing up the console and typing suicide will fix it it seems.

also hitting escape should fix it? it happened to me twice and just hitting escape and letting the menu load did that.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Took out an entire squad with a nade. :thurman:

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I did an experiment. I played on a few official Tripwire servers and only got the GI GO HOME at the end of the match and the occasional person speaking in Engrish. Then I jumped on a server with custom maps and it was over the top racism and autistic screaming. After 30 or so minutes, the admin came on and kicked them. Then the server went back to GIs going home.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam: This racism is killing me inside.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Just bought this. Do we have a designated goon group/discord or should I dive into pubby hell?

Generally this gets answered fast but babby arguments in the thread probably clogged it up a bit. If you join the CTS Mumble we have a channel that's usually active at later times in the day for NA and also some eurogoons that play on NA servers anyway during the day (ping hasn't had a huge affect on my gameplay in any of the RO/RS games) as long as it's a US East server. There is a Discord for the game but I've not used it, so I can't really speak on whether or not it's frequently active.

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

I have this game, played about a half hour of it and I just can't seem to get into it. Idk, it doesn't give me the same feeling BF: vietnam or BFBC2: vietnam did

The gameplay is vastly different, it takes almost all the gameplay and mechanics from RO2/RS1 for the most part, just with a Vietnam theme. The only other thing I'd argue is comparable is maybe the Vietnam maps from Project Reality.

Hamlet442 posted:

custom maps

Has anyone seen/played a custom map yet? I'm pretty sure the servers that say they have custom maps just allow a weird 64 man clusterfuck version of the 16 man Skirmish maps included with the base game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam: This racism is killing me inside.

RichEvansSpeaksChinese.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Dvsilverwing posted:

Has anyone seen/played a custom map yet? I'm pretty sure the servers that say they have custom maps just allow a weird 64 man clusterfuck version of the 16 man Skirmish maps included with the base game.

Few I've played were 64 player territories maps. There's probably 5 or so floating about that I've seen, none are particularly great yet though, pretty unfinished.

• Locked thread