Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

single payer plans cannot work in states because the inherent volatility of health care prices, plus their general trend upwards, makes them very difficult for states with fixed budgets. This is why it failed in vermont.

Of course this isn't a problem at the federal level.

You either need to a.) mandate everyone buys in to it which makes it politically untenable or b.) have a system set up where the federal government subsidizes your overruns.

Also you'd need it be specifically for medical expenses so unscrupulous governors couldn't use it to their own devices like states do now with medicaid.

ColoradoCare dealt with all of those problems. Obviously it didn't pass because people balk at such large tax increases, but it was a good model of how state-level single payer should work in theory.

The real problem with state-level single payer is that it's incredibly expensive and states can't declare bankruptcy. This is actually a pretty big problem when you're taking on a lot of formerly uninsured people who were essentially ghosts before you gave them coverage, and now they're all going to come out and use it and it's difficult to estimate the costs. You gently caress up with the estimation of how much funding it requires and have a cost overrun? Congrats, you can't pay providers because there's no money left in the fund. The federal government doesn't have this problem since we can run on a deficit while the system normalizes.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mustached Demon posted:

Check them for security reasons and then ban them?

Yeah, I figured that. I guess what I'm asking is: why should the press feel any obligation to accede to these dumb, arbitrary demands? I know that an organized rebellion will increase the whining about "the media" and give them more ammunition for canceling press briefings altogether, but when has the White House ever showed any respect for decorum? It just seems like respect only ever goes one way for this administration: the press bowing its knee and giving in to silly demands for the chance to ask Sarah Huckabee Sanders questions she won't answer.

I mean...you're the press secretary for the POTUS. If you can't handle someone putting you on tape, why the hell do you even have your job?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

The Phlegmatist posted:

ColoradoCare dealt with all of those problems. Obviously it didn't pass because people balk at such large tax increases, but it was a good model of how state-level single payer should work in theory.

The real problem with state-level single payer is that it's incredibly expensive and states can't declare bankruptcy. This is actually a pretty big problem when you're taking on a lot of formerly uninsured people who were essentially ghosts before you gave them coverage, and now they're all going to come out and use it and it's difficult to estimate the costs. You gently caress up with the estimation of how much funding it requires and have a cost overrun? Congrats, you can't pay providers because there's no money left in the fund. The federal government doesn't have this problem since we can run on a deficit while the system normalizes.

You can't post that picture without posting the accompanying story of how someone thought a Furry convention was something for service animals and brought a service dog to it

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Has this already been posted?

https://twitter.com/clevstondems/status/877707204295512065

No puppet etc

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm wondering how they expect to enforce that. What's to stop a reporter from hiding a microcassette recorder in their pocket and sneaking it into the briefing? And what would they do if they did find recoding equipment; send someone to bed without supper?

They are well aware that the hierarchy of "getting caught saying terrible things" goes:

Caught on video

Caught on audio recording

(Ten thousand lines removed)

Printed quote only, probably made up by the lying fake media, where's the tape?

It never happened

If somebody does wear a wire anyway, the audio quality will be terrible, and revealing the recording will mean an instant excuse to ban the outlet for "security reasons."

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Yeah, I figured that. I guess what I'm asking is: why should the press feel any obligation to accede to these dumb, arbitrary demands
What do you suggest they do? (given that the wh controls the briefing room, and press credentials etc)
the only thing giving reporters access to the press secretary or white house staff, afaik, is historical norm

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

loving why. What is the goddamn point of doing this.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Hollismason posted:

You can't post that picture without posting the accompanying story of how someone thought a Furry convention was something for service animals and brought a service dog to it

It was probably someone who needs an service animal :shrug:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TARDISman posted:

loving why. What is the goddamn point of doing this.

It's particularly insane as it passed the senate almost unanimously.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hollismason posted:

How are the teeth?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Reik posted:

How are the teeth?

In the 13 years? (it was at least 10 I know) since I posted that I have had them fixed. Thank you for your concern.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hollismason posted:

In the 13 years? since I posted that I have had them fixed. Thank you for your concern.

Glad to hear.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Don Lemon just showed the dashcam video of Castille and then the girlfriend's video after. I never saw the second one.

Holy poo poo.

E: also some shithead is defending it "t.h.c. meaning he had so much t.h.c. intoxicating his body that he might have misinterpreted the instruction"

These fuckheads and the people who defend it have no concept of accountability or responsibility. Even if he did panic that piece of poo poo still deserves the consequences of his actions.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 22, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

awesmoe posted:

What do you suggest they do? (given that the wh controls the briefing room, and press credentials etc)
the only thing giving reporters access to the Minister of Truth or white house staff, afaik, is historical norm

I dunno. I just wish they weren't quite so deferential to these dumb rules. I'm sick and tired of the good guys bowing and scraping to the bad guys, only to have to eat poo poo in return.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

I dunno. I just wish they weren't quite so deferential to these dumb rules. I'm sick and tired of the good guys bowing and scraping to the bad guys, only to have to eat poo poo in return.

when you say bowing and scraping you mean "complaining on social media and on the platforms they're paid to communicate through (while going along with the restrictions because if they didn't they would be unable to do their important jobs)", right?

e: you're mad at the white house and that's thoroughly reasonable but it's dumb to blame the media for rules they have no real option but to follow. their only "meaningful" way to protest would be to cut off coverage which is exactly what the white house wants

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Jealous Cow posted:

It's particularly insane as it passed the senate almost unanimously.

The Freedom Caucus is both paid by dark money and detests anything that has the hint of Liberal on it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This was the sanctions bill that was so important to work with Republicans to pass that the Democrats decided not to blockade the Senate over the secretive AHCA drafting process that violated every legislative norm, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

This was the sanctions bill that was so important to work with Republicans to pass that the Democrats decided not to blockade the Senate over the secretive AHCA drafting process that violated every legislative norm, right?

Except, Democrats were able to first pass that sanctions bill and now are blockading the senate.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/338591-dems-to-grind-senate-to-a-halt-over-obamcare-repeal-fight

quote:

Senate Democrats are slowing the Senate to a crawl as they escalate their fight over the GOP push to repeal and replace ObamaCare.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) announced that Democrats will invoke the so-called "two hour" rule on Tuesday, which blocks committees from meeting after the Senate has been in session for two hours.

"As we've made clear to our Republican colleagues, if they continue to insist on ramming through a secret health care bill without any public input or debate, they shouldn't expect business as usual in the Senate," Schumer said in a statement.

Democrats had threatened such a move on Monday, warning that they would disrupt Senate proceedings unless Republicans agreed to debate their healthcare bill in public and give it at least one committee hearing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh nice, the Dems finally pulled the football away from Republicans for a change.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Probably because the House signaled they were going to block the sanctions bill.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/johnjcook/status/877731582211088384

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/877742750418038784

No need to pass any laws restricting press freedom, a White House had a way of shutting that whole thing down.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 22, 2017

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Naw, it's cool, every single member of the press corps happened to leave their cameras (and recorders and cell phones) in their cars. Oops.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
loving record it in protest. Don't cave to their lovely demands

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Those horrible Democrats, making such outlandish demands, like "we should be allowed to know what this thing says that we're voting on that will significantly impact tens of millions of Americans." They're such scumbags.

- Literally every conservative news outlet tomorrow, without the slightest hint of irony.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They should report on the fact that it's not reportable. It would be Helleresque.

" We take you live right now to the White House and us not reporting on the not reportable"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Robot Hobo posted:

Those horrible Democrats, making such outlandish demands, like "we should be allowed to know what this thing says that we're voting on that will significantly impact tens of millions of Americans." They're such scumbags.

- Literally every conservative news outlet tomorrow, without the slightest hint of irony.

It's EXACTLY what the Dems did with Obamacare.

"But that had several amendments introduced by Repub-"EXACTLY WHAT THE DEMS DID WITH OBAMACARE.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

It's EXACTLY what the Dems did with Obamacare.

"But that had several amendments introduced by Repub-"EXACTLY WHAT THE DEMS DID WITH OBAMACARE.

I can't imagine this will go over well.

"All those things we said the Democrats did with Obamacare that were so terrible, well that was a totally unprincipled criticism on our parts because we're going to do it too!"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 22, 2017

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

VitalSigns posted:

I can't imagine this will go over well.

"All those things we said the Democrats with Obamacare that were so terrible, well that was a totally unprincipled criticism on our parts because we're going to do it too!"

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/877740981239533569

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/johnjcook/status/877731582211088384

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/877742750418038784

No need to pass any laws restricting press freedom, a White House had a way of shutting that whole thing down.

How long until journalists start pulling recording stunts and solidarity sit-outs?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Isn't "no press briefings at all" basically what the white house wants? If the journalists start showing up en masse with recording equipment wouldn't that give the white house the justification it needs to end the briefings?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Charliegrs posted:

Isn't "no press briefings at all" basically what the white house wants? If the journalists start showing up en masse with recording equipment wouldn't that give the white house the justification it needs to end the briefings?

I don't think even Americans will accept, "The Press wanted to record and report on stuff!" as an excuse to stop doing anything.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

I don't think even Americans will accept, "The Press wanted to record and report on stuff!" as an excuse to stop doing anything.

I don't think they'll care.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
They should just print whatever they want with "White House refused to comment". "Sources say Trump got lost in his pantry; White House refused to comment."

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's remarkable that you loving people elected this guy

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Craig K posted:

lets see now, 30 frames per second, 120 frames, that comes to four seconds even

A+ joke nerd

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

namaste faggots posted:

Technically, we didn't.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

PerniciousKnid posted:

They should just print whatever they want with "White House refused to comment". "Sources say Trump got lost in his pantry; White House refused to comment."

But...The White House refused to comment

(orb)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

namaste faggots posted:

I'm guessing you're not an American so here's a really simplified reason as to why he was elected. We are one big country that basically houses the equivalent of 2 very different countries within it yet we think it's realistic that one person can govern these 2 very different countries.

It probably wouldn't be this way had we just let the south secede in 1861 and not fought to take them back.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
from a couple pages back, but:

Lightning Lord posted:

Is there a German word for when someone correctly identifies at least part of the cause of a problem but implements the worst solution possible?

there is the verb "verschlimmbessern" (ich verschlimmbessere, du verschlimmbesserst, er/sie/es verschlimmbessert etc.), which means to attempt to make something better but in the process end up making it even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Charliegrs posted:

It probably wouldn't be this way had we just let the south secede in 1861 and not fought to take them back.

It probably would have.
I mean back then it was North vs. South, now it's Coastal vs. Flyover.

• Locked thread