Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Hello my name is Fisheystix and I may stop being a red mage

E: For context, that's a palace of the dead boss.

FisheyStix fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

How is that spoilers

I mean the mandatory fantasia was a bit much but...

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

The new elite mark bills that used to be posted weekly are now posted daily. That gives you a total of 210 seals a day if you do them all, or a little more than 1 grade 6 materia every other day.

which bills? the forgotten knight ones? you can buy grade vi materia from those now?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I noticed that there's no entry for Heavensward on Steam. Is it just baked into the base 20$ game now?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FisheyStix posted:

Hello my name is Fisheystix and I may stop being a red mage

E: For context, that's a palace of the dead boss.

Crappy screenshot aside now I'm awfully tempted to try SAM instead of finishing the MSQ with RDM :(

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

I noticed that there's no entry for Heavensward on Steam. Is it just baked into the base 20$ game now?

I believe it's baked in to Stormblood now.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
60-70 is so much easier than 50-60 was, I might actually finish leveling everything this expansion

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Are you gonna try to do Savage Omega when it releases?

If no, play whatever looks coolest. If yes, still play whatever looks coolest.

Not an empty quote

Lemon-Lime posted:

I tried to figure out a theoretical WAR opening rotation/possibly optimal path to getting the gauge you need just before Berserking: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uBQrZFdZWy_0oppGx0UDgjudh7aj0XSKejoHvMXzIHQ/edit?usp=sharing

Stuff that still needs to be checked:
- what the optimal rotation is in-between Berserk windows, so you end up at 100 gauge with a Path primed just as Berserk is coming off cooldown while doing the most damage possible.
- when to use Upheaval so it doesn't interfere with the above.
- how the gently caress you transition from Defiance to Deliverance in the first place if you're tanking.

This is just napkin maths so the actual number of GCDs you can fit in to each buff might be different, but this seems to work just looking at the timers on Berserk and Release at 2.44s GCD. It seems like WAR is going to want enough SKS to hit a roughly 2.35s GCD to be able to fit everything in the Berserk+Release burst window. Whether that's worth doing vs. simply losing 100 potency on Upheaval is another thing to figure out.

Continuing on this, was talking War ~Fell Cleave~ rotations with Erna in chat earlier. The rotation is pretty loving annoyingly tight if you want to squeeze every onze of dps out.

For pre-70 non Inner Release it's basically prep for berserk with a full gauge and maim primed, then

100 gauge -> Berserk -> cleave (50) -> infuriate -> cleave (50) -> path from maim (70) -> full path (100) -> cleave (50) -> cleave (0), maim (10), zerk wears off as you transition into the next stage

You now have 60s or 24 gcds at no skill speed remaining. This gives you enough time to do double Upheaval while you rebuild 100 gauge for the next berserk.

Eye (hits 20 gauge and lets you continue cleanly) (23 gcds remaining) -> Upheaval -> path (20) -> path (17) -> path (14) -> cleave (13) -> eye -> upheaval (10 gcds remain, at 40 gauge - you can use Thrill to boost the damage of an Upheaval slightly if you want, not super exciting)

And on to the next berserk

Path (7 gcds remaining), eye (4), prep maim (2), berserk refreshes, repeat

So there are about two GCDs worth of slack in there, +/- based on your SS and personal latency + time lost dodging bad/repositioning/brain farting/etc.

Which... isn't a lot of slack. And if you stuff up the gauge count by doing the wrong combo in there, it'll throw off your Upheaval timing, and possibly your Berserk timing.

Some unanswered questions - is Enhanced Infuriate worth a gently caress if you burn it on between-zerk Upheavals/Cleaves? I'm assuming it was made for 90s berserk, but I haven't mathed it out over a ~4min period, so I'm inclined to just keep using it on Berserk cooldowns - but maybe its worth using for better mitigation with IB? Dunno.

Is Upheaval worth doing over another Cleave? (I think it is even in Deliverance, 2x Upheavals is 600 potency vs 500 for cleave at 10 less gauge cost and no gcd cost - if you're slightly damaged it probably still comes out to about a cleaves worth of damage, without the gcd cost).

I have absolutely no idea how you shift from Deliverance to Defiance cleanly. You'd have to switch right as you zeroed out your gauge at various points in your rotation. Trying to do that while maintaining a perfect Berserk cycle is past my muscle memory, I'm just now getting down the 4x cleave pattern. Maybe in a week or two of practice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Nevermind, found a solution on the tech support pages.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 22, 2017

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

haha perfect

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shy posted:

haha perfect

The response options in SB are way better than they were up to this point. Props to the script teams.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
With Stormblood out, how does Bard play now? Still an archer with a bunch of party buffs?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I posted earlier about how I thought the story was stupid. Having completed it, it's time to effort post. Obvious story spoilers, do not click if not finished.

The problem I have with the story this go around is that everything pre-doma liberation is essentially the same meta-plot. Go to a place under imperial rule promising liberation. Witness Garlean oppression. Get rebuffed by oppressed people. Fail to understand why they rebuff you. Do some busy work to get into their good graces. Finale of story arc which varies slightly depending on where you are. These same story beats played out In The Peaks, The Ruby Sea, and Yanxia. Half of them even played out in the Azim Steppe. It was incredibly tiring going through almost step for step identical stories except this time it's villagers instead of pirates instead of miners instead of the resistance. I feel like Doma had a mostly satisfactory wrap-up, with Azim Stepped being the most interesting zone and the final attack on Doma castle was well done. Gosetsu's death angered me quite a bit; in fact it's what spurred my initial shitpost on the topic. But the post credit's stinger has assuaged my disbelief.

Post Doma was ok. My only real beef with it is that I feel like it tried to cash story checks it hadn't earned with regards to Lyse. The story completely failed to show Lyse as a leader. Or as much of anything to be honest. She started the game as pretty much still Yda and she ended the game... exactly the same. Still impulsive, still impetuous. Put in charge of the resistance but never really shown leading it. The skeleton of what they were trying to do with her is there and obvious, but it never got the developement it needed. On the whole, the post-Doma stuff felt really rushed, which is pretty funny considering how languid the Doma stuff felt.

Zenos was... fairly lousy as a villain. If he wasn't so awesome in the solo fights you have with him he would be entirely forgettable. With any luck, what little plot he was actually involved in will progress into something interesting.

Lastly, I cannot believe the number of times I said to myself, "This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard." At least 6 times. So many idiot plans, Alphinaud never would have stood for it.

A reasonably satisfying finale though. Good last dungeon, good last trial.

Final thoughts: Drastically worse than HW. Not even as good as 2.3-2.55. Better than ARR.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Current status: freaking out about how loving good the 2nd boss of Bardam's Mettle is

and how much of a ruiner of pugs it is :stonklol:

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The new elite mark bills that used to be posted weekly are now posted daily. That gives you a total of 210 seals a day if you do them all, or a little more than 1 grade 6 materia every other day.

They're still posted weekly. It seems the (Posted daily) part is probably a mistake, because I killed mine on Tuesday and it hasn't reset today.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

Current status: freaking out about how loving good the 2nd boss of Bardam's Mettle is

and how much of a ruiner of pugs it is :stonklol:

i mean only one person has to clear it right? it should be a Never Fail assuming you know what youre doing

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maguoob posted:

They're still posted weekly. It seems the (Posted daily) part is probably a mistake, because I killed mine on Tuesday and it hasn't reset today.

That's unfortunate but also good. Searching for a B rank mob can be pretty frustrating, I can't imagine doing that daily.

Still, with HW and SB hunts that's 1740 seals a week, or a little over 4 materias.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

the crossover in refs I never knew I wanted

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

With Stormblood out, how does Bard play now? Still an archer with a bunch of party buffs?
No more cast bars again is the big thing. The songs are pretty dramatically different now, also. The TP and MP songs are role actions, don't consume MP and most importantly don't reduce your damage so you can actually use them now. Foes is still Foes but works for all types of damage and not just magic anymore. Then you have 3 songs that you cycle through every 30 seconds that each proc off your dot crits in different ways, one of them replaces river of blood as your bloodletter/rain of death reset, one is sorta like GL and gradually increases attack speed as you crit, and the third uses your crits to charge up a super attack. Battle Voice is now a cooldown that adds a party buff that's specific to whichever of those three songs you're playing at the time.

IDK entirely how I feel about the changes in general, but at the very least its way more thematically a "bard" job now because you're constantly playing songs.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

homeless snail posted:

No more cast bars again is the big thing. The songs are pretty dramatically different now, also. The TP and MP songs are role actions, don't consume MP and most importantly don't reduce your damage so you can actually use them now. Foes is still Foes but works for all types of damage and not just magic anymore. Then you have 3 songs that you cycle through every 30 seconds that each proc off your dot crits in different ways, one of them replaces river of blood as your bloodletter/rain of death reset, one is sorta like GL and gradually increases attack speed as you crit, and the third uses your crits to charge up a super attack. Battle Voice is now a cooldown that adds a party buff that's specific to whichever of those three songs you're playing at the time.

IDK entirely how I feel about the changes in general, but at the very least its way more thematically a "bard" job now because you're constantly playing songs.

Foe Requiem also drains MP really harshly now, it's not just something to throw up and forget about it for a minute whenever you have MP. It's a burst tool. It lasts maybe 10 seconds. The songs also give your party members effectively a passive minor crit rate buff, since it should have as close to 100% up time as you can manage. Unfortunantly, you don't get in on that goodness, the Direct Hit increase of Battle Voice, nor the most strange of all, the Troubadour defensive effects. You can give the 7 others in your party 15% more HP, 10% Physical reduction, or 10% Magic reduction depending on what song you have rolling when you use it even though you're left out in the breeze. Bard does however get a version of Convalescence that is targetable to party members, self included, in Nature's Minne.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 22, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

new bard loving owns

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Countblanc posted:

i mean only one person has to clear it right? it should be a Never Fail assuming you know what youre doing

It's not about passing; it's about publicly shaming those who get forced out.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Battle Voice gives 15% direct hit regardless of song, it's Troubadour that has song-specific benefits.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I am amused that you take fall damage from jumping into water. This is probably the first MMO I've played that does that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dogsicle posted:

Battle Voice gives 15% direct hit regardless of song, it's Troubadour that has song-specific benefits.
Ah yeah I get them mixed up, still used to thinking of battle voice as the "make songs better" button.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm not in Stormblood yet so I can't speak to the 60-70 experience wrt how the new skills improve it, but my main gripes would be aoe feeling really weak (as with most SB classes) and the song mechanic being too random. It sucks to spend a Paeon only to get a single proc near the end, or a Minuet where Pitch Perfect doesn't even max out once. I know there's a later trait that triggers song procs when EA is used, so worst case you should get two procs(?) but that's still kinda bad. One awesome change that was mentioned in passing earlier is that Barrage can crit now, so it's pretty great on a Straighter Shot proc if you don't have EA due to sync or it's not off cooldown. Also the role actions that restore TP/MP halve your enmity, so I suppose they could double as a sort of Quelling Strikes when you're bursting in Minuet/Ballad.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
WHM is loving sick as hell. Finally hit max level earlier and beat up a Susano extreme today. I'm using cure III for the hell of it to snipe the other healer and show boat on susano and I can't run out of mana and I'm not even 300 ilvl yet. Thin Air is absurdly busted and good.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I finished the pvp exp chart I mentioned earlier:

Thank you to the various goons who helped me fill this in. The last level has a note that says 'just do 1 less game and finish this with your job quests'. I'll post the actual spreadsheet once I do dungeon exp values.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I have chosen my first class to 70 wisely.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This is the summer of level 69.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

For the level 70 EX dungeons, do you need to finish your MSQ or is it enough to hit max level?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

This is the summer of level 69.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Are bard cast bars gone forever 1-70 or is there still an awkward wana be mage phase?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Failboattootoot posted:

I posted earlier about how I thought the story was stupid. Having completed it, it's time to effort post. Obvious story spoilers, do not click if not finished.

Final thoughts: Drastically worse than HW. Not even as good as 2.3-2.55. Better than ARR.

I had this exact sentiment, glad I wasn't alone.

Hopefully 4.1 improves? I suspect Omega will be a wash, maybe not quite as hard as Alex though

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xun posted:

Are bard cast bars gone forever 1-70 or is there still an awkward wana be mage phase?

Near as I can tell, there is not.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Xun posted:

the only cast bar is foe's requiem

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

For the level 70 EX dungeons, do you need to finish your MSQ or is it enough to hit max level?
Finish your MSQ.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Scholar still feels like poo poo compared to how they used to be but there are videos of people doing Susano EX with 1 healer (Scholar) with only spot healing from the PLD in between and they pull it off so, I guess they're OK? Still feels worse though, I can't even handle multipulls in Doma Castle and stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pissdude posted:

Scholar still feels like poo poo compared to how they used to be but there are videos of people doing Susano EX with 1 healer (Scholar) with only spot healing from the PLD in between and they pull it off so, I guess they're OK? Still feels worse though, I can't even handle multipulls in Doma Castle and stuff

Lean heavily on a manually controlled Eos.

I get the impression that the other healers do not have to put in nearly as much effort for the same throughput and have better DPS (especially AoE). Is this correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I'm enjoying Archer a lot! I should've went with it much earlier.

Overall, the expansion owns bones. The Kugane Tower Climb is the best part, though.

There's a lot of hidden vistas all around Kugane, so jump on various buildings to discover them all!