Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/877740702528004096

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Dangit I go to dinner and miss all the good Knicks posting

morestuff posted:

To be fair that was kind of those Knicks teams' thing, not just Jackson

100% a Knicks thing, that's Clyde every game. The man loves a good pass and hates bad shot selection (although his idea of Shot Selection is that of a 70 year old man with inordinate respect for midrange 2s, but they do have to be open midrange 2s)

The Frazier/Reed (and also Jackson was there too I guess) Knicks were the team that would deflate the balls to give themselves an advantage over teams that preferred to dribble.

Jota posted:

Agreed. I'm sick of Jackson constantly poo poo talking Melo to the media trying to shame him and get him to be annoyed enough that he would agree to waive his no trade clause or whatever. You're the dumb rear end in a top hat that signed him to the contract.

It makes me really happy that Melo has just told the Knicks to gently caress themselves and smiled as he cashed his big rear end checks.

NO HE DIDn'T!! THAT WAS ALREADY IN PLACE WHEN JACKSON CAME IN! This is the man was responsible for that:
Melo's lovely albatross no trade clause contract is the main thing that's stopped Jackson from doing anything major with the team during his tenure as GM

Melo's been dragging the team down for longer than Jackson at this point.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/ianbegley/status/877738161341964288

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zoux posted:

Can deals be officially made already, someone told me the transaction window doesn't open until July

its free agents they cant talk to until then

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

not until 2018, i imagine. i don't think there's a trade that can happen to put him in a place he would rather be

Come on Ainge, dangle those pics in front of Gilbert. You know he doesn't what to be left empty handed after Lebron leaves a 2nd time.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

That's ignoring the fact that the Celtics can offer the pick before the Suns so they probably win by default if they so wish

Danny never listens to me though so it's not happening

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the july moratorium on free agent signings where they cant talk until july 1 and then they can negotiate and agree to deals but cant actually sign them for a couple weeks is what gave us the deandre jordan hostage crisis so i cant wait to see what this crazy offseason has in store

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GM Phil is spectacular.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

EvanTH posted:

Melo's lovely albatross no trade clause contract is the main thing that's stopped Jackson from doing anything major with the team during his tenure as GM

Melo's been dragging the team down for longer than Jackson at this point.

Phil Jackson was hired in March of 2014, and Carmelo's new contract was signed in July 2014.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Good thing Phil Jackson can align root chakras across the span of the globe so he could really let KP know he cares

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

All of this sounds... basically reasonable?

Especially the Not Intrigued part considering all of the offers I've seen so far have been teams blatantly lowballing. Suns offering Booker + 1st rounder was the closest to anything remotely acceptable and even that was a few picks short of an even deal.

Sheriff posted:

I don't hate myself enough to watch Knicks games, how sure of a thing is Porzingis? His stats look average, which honestly isn't a huge red flag for a guy that young on a team that bad. But he's also been injured a few times, correct?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be flipping my poo poo if I was a Knicks fan, but what are the chances this trade doesn't look totally terrible 5 years from now?

It's hard to tell because he sort of plateaued this year what with the team is a mess and Melo making everyone he plays with look bad. If you want to see him make a lot of mistakes and get completely dominated watch the Nuggets v. Knicks game from last season. Here's some lowlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71_MZMVS3FQ

He's easily my favorite Knick since Tyson Chandler but he's not exactly a guaranteed top 10 player like some folks might have y'all believe.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Phil Jackson was hired in March of 2014, and Carmelo's new contract was signed in July 2014.

this is news to me and I want to know why it happened

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

I have no loving idea what he's waiting for in terms of cashing in his assets.

More assets

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

Looks like he's been a GM candidate a bit lately though, I wasn't aware of this: http://bsndenver.com/chauncey-billups-seems-destined-for-a-gm-job-but-it-wont-be-with-the-nuggets/
I know this wasn't the reason you were linking it, but:

quote:

Connelly’s built a core in Denver in Nikola Jokic, Jamal Murray, and Gary Harris, that should be able to contend in a few years and ownership seems to have bought into his long-game vision — something that might not have happened under Denver’s last regime.
what the gently caress is this guy talking about? Jamal Murray and Gary Harris aren't a "core," they're both undersized SGs who are best at catch-and-shoot. The current GM's first act in office was trading away Gobert for a scrub and cash. Literally the only thing the current GM has done well is drafting Jokic. The Nuggets have one real build-around player, some decent role players, like eight mediocre-to-good wings, a questionable PG situation, and one of the worst defenses in the NBA.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Funny thing is they could have worked out a S&T with Chicago at the time. Bulls had assets to trade (2 firsts in that draft and Niko Mirotic) and needed an S&T to pay him the max.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Don't blame Melo for signing a contract that was placed in front of him.

I don't care how unqualified you know you are, if someone is willing to sign you to large amounts of guaranteed money, you sign that poo poo.

The onus is on the Front Office to not offer the player fuckoff money.

The Kings figured that out, the Bulls know that which is why they are likely gonna move him before he gets the Super Hyper Max(didn't figure it out with Hoiberg though).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

harris and murray are part of the core because theyre the two young guards on the team who arent historically terrible

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 22, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Reading back on it, it looks like Melo took several million less than a max in order to get the No-Trade Clause included

so now I think they're all retarded

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

EvanTH posted:

Reading back on it, it looks like Melo took several million less than a max in order to get the No-Trade Clause included

so now I think they're all retarded

Turns out Melo wasn't.

He got the No trade and now is either gonna get waived or bought out by Phil Jackson. Rather than shuttled off to like Sacramento or something.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Ty1990 posted:

If Danny Ainge doesn't end up with Kristaps in the next 24 hours I have no loving idea what he's waiting for in terms of cashing in his assets.

Seems like he doesn't want to give up Bradley or more than 2 lottery picks and also Jaylen Brown is a shade under Greek Freak on his value chart.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Melo owns and him refusing to move on his no trade clause as a gently caress you to Phil Jackson is the greatest

Also I think that off season rules so hard because it makes these multi-billionaire owns seem like they are richer version of regular people. It is like when I get a few hundred extra bucks and I am trying to justify some mechanical keyboard or some dumb poo poo that I don't actually need. When an NBA owner or GM has a heap of cap space to play with they sign Mozgov to a 60 million dollar deal 35 seconds into free agency.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

if I'm the Suns I do that Chriss/bender/#4 for Porzingis deal all day

As for Denver, Jokic is really good obviously and a lot of people think Murray is going to be really good. Gary Harris is solid too, but yeah given his overlap with Murray that team needs a few more pieces before it really has something approaching a full core.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Carmelo: Hmm a max contract seems goodish buy let's try angling to knock 10 mill off that price and you can give me the option to gently caress up the team for years on end when I continue declining as I have been
Phil Jackson [via teleconference from Montana, staring at a dreamcatcher out of frame, pupils touching the whites of his eyes]: what... ohh yes try angle... perfect, you're really starting to udnerstand the uh and uh (accidentally minimizes the window and assumes he's ended the call) oh what'd I do. Hey does anyone know how to

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I might become a darker Knicks fan, one that lurks beneath MSG feasting on occasional tourists that wander into my subterranean lair

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

In a Job where I could be moved against my will on a whim, you drat right I'd take like 5% less or so money to guarantee I have the right of refusal.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Was Jackson forced to draft KP by Dolan?

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Looking forward to a return of sad-knicks-fan-kp-draft.gif once he gets flipped to the Celtics

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im jealous of knicks fans for having the opportunity to build up a tolerance to the complete institutional dysfunction that defines broader american life these days

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

In a Job where I could be moved against my will on a whim, you drat right I'd take like 5% less or so money to guarantee I have the right of refusal.

Yeah I mean when you've got a wife who loves NYC and kids to think about you really need to consider the stability of the household when you're making any big decisions lol

I remember all the reporting about the No-Trade Clause being at La La's behest because of her NYC roots

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

you'd think dolan and melo would be natural allies through their shared love of extremely stupid hats

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Melo's a cool dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJTCXlT4c3E

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

EvanTH posted:

Yeah I mean when you've got a wife who loves NYC and kids to think about you really need to consider the stability of the household when you're making any big decisions lol

I remember all the reporting about the No-Trade Clause being at La La's behest because of her NYC roots

La La no longer runs that family Melo doesn't care anymore SHIP HIM

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

can you imagine how bad melo would become if now, post-separation he started dating a kardashian

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
and If anyone ever tries to tell you that arguing about sports online is a waste of time, you can point them right here where after months of bitter argument Dexo is winning me over on Phil being a senile old man. We can change each other. There is hope for the future (but not for the Knicks)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SWOOP IN VLADE
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/877778205406580736

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/877734165814198272

Only one was an MVP though

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

suns you fucks do something :argh:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oooh yeah I forgot that whole exit interview situation happened. Lol is that the reason Porzingis is available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oooh yeah I forgot that whole exit interview situation happened. Lol is that the reason Porzingis is available?
Probably. Of course Phil is wrong in saying it's never happened to him before, since Shaq skipped multiple exit interviews which ultimately lead to him getting traded to Miami.

quote:

In 2003 when Jackson was coaching the Lakers, Shaquille O’Neal missed his exit interview, but would later attend it two weeks later. It still upset Jackson.

“It's disrespectful to us as a staff,” Jackson said at the time. “We wanted this and we felt it was important as a team. It's important for closure.... And it's adult responsibility to do that.”

The following season, O’Neal did it again, and it led to some bigger changes. After missing his exit interview was scheduled for June 18, Phil Jackson stepped down as Lakers coach the very next day. On July 14, O’Neal was traded to the Miami Heat per his request.

• Locked thread