Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I shouldn't​ back this because I've already got a bunch of Trail of Cthulhu books I haven't got to use but that looks and sounds so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Evil Mastermind posted:

But there's no mechanic in the world that'll stop a GM from being an rear end in a top hat and just throwing the worst things he can at the players. At all. Even the Agenda and Principles can't stop the GM if he doesn't care to follow them. Yeah, he's breaking the rules but that'd be just as true if he ignored CR in D&D. In that case, the problem isn't the system, it's that the GM is a jackhole.

Ironically, it was the ability of a DW GM to say "rocks fall, everybody dies" that finzlly convinced Pundit that DW was an RPG and not a "storygame".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is the Yellow King game still using the GUMSHOE engine?

Helical Nightmares posted:

Red Market's News!! :toot:

I felt sick to my stomach to learn that Caleb had to make the Lifeline forums himself because the guy he contracted to make it ran off with the money.

But I am definitely getting a hardbound book if I can order one.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
At this point I think I can scientifically track my interest curve every time a Laws project is announced. "Oh, a Laws game, that's cool!... oh... it's Lovecraft? Oh. Um. Well, looking forward to the next one!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have no idea

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/877533056340418561

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

I shouldn't​ back this because I've already got a bunch of Trail of Cthulhu books I haven't got to use but that looks and sounds so cool.

I really loved Trail of Cthulhu but I have had such miserable experiences with Pelgrane and their kickstarters. I never received any of my Nights Black Agents stuff, and received no support or even responses after a while of trying to solve the issue. It was like 5 years ago at this point, but it still makes me really salty and I haven't supported any of their products since.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Harrow posted:

Well, sure, it's entirely reasonable not to want to play PbtA.
I like PBTA, but there have been lots of times I saw a tagline for an interesting game, and I was like "Oh cool, how are they going to handle that genre emulation?" And it was just PBTA or FATE. One does get Fate Fatigue.

mllaneza posted:

There have been at least two failed attempts to run it PBP on these forums, and you betcha I'll sign up for a third try.
Yeah dogg, I was playing the Titus Pullo Arch-Militant.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I like PBTA, but there have been lots of times I saw a tagline for an interesting game, and I was like "Oh cool, how are they going to handle that genre emulation?" And it was just PBTA or FATE. One does get Fate Fatigue.

Yeah, I can relate to that. I think both PbtA and FATE are systems that look like they're easy to design for so a lot of people are drawn to them for their projects and you end up with PbtA games and FATE games everywhere.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't get Fate. I've tried reading Spirit of the Century, Fate Core, and Atomic Robo and it just hasn't clicked. I guess maybe it's too open ended for me

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mllaneza posted:

Ironically, it was the ability of a DW GM to say "rocks fall, everybody dies" that finzlly convinced Pundit that DW was an RPG and not a "storygame".

Wait what the gently caress?

I know he's an idiot who can't read but what. I don't have grognards.txt anymore to be my angry about RPG twitter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait what the gently caress?

I know he's an idiot who can't read but what. I don't have grognards.txt anymore to be my angry about RPG twitter.

It's completely unsurprising to me that for some people, the standard for being a "real RPG" is bound up in yet even more Hidebound Tradition.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mike Mearls serves as captain of the colony ship that is set to crash into the sun like in that Simpsons episode.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I can relate to that. I think both PbtA and FATE are systems that look like they're easy to design for so a lot of people are drawn to them for their projects and you end up with PbtA games and FATE games everywhere.

I'd agree; both are trendy systems right now, and a lot of people confuse "rules-light" with "easy to design." I don't know enough about FATE to comment on it, but I'd argue that PbtA is actually a much harder system to do really satisfying games with, especially if you want really robust genre emulation. People don't seem to realize that the successful genre-emulation exercises in the system all involve extensive design and thoughtful use of the PbtA toolkit, not "think of some cool stat names, moves, and playbooks and you're good!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
FATE I see as a make-your-own-system kit. Using FATE doesn't mean much to me at this point - it's what you add to it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'm loving this huge surge in rules-lite narrative heavy games but unless they're doing something really unique with it I just have too many FATE/PbtA games already to give some new one more than a quick 'oh, neat' look.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think a big problem with FATE is that everyone seems to describe it as 'rules lite' and I don't think it should be. Did the system makers bring that on themselves or has the opinion mistakenly grown organically?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

starkebn posted:

I think a big problem with FATE is that everyone seems to describe it as 'rules lite' and I don't think it should be. Did the system makers bring that on themselves or has the opinion mistakenly grown organically?

Fate Accelerated is pretty light, but all the good Fate Core games have some weighty mechanical systems attached to them give you stuff to work with. I haven't seen the Fate Accelerated update of the Dresden Files rules, but they probably kept the spell system and stuff from that to it too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Plutonis posted:

Mike Mearls serves as captain of the colony ship that is set to crash into the sun like in that Simpsons episode.

The Golgafrincham "B" Ark.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Fate fractals always seemed like a golden opportunity to dive up your own rear end. I'm not saying a lot of people do that, but the system certainly supports it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

starkebn posted:

FATE is an over 20 year old system that's gone through four or five revisions without really re-branding itself or changing the core of it in a meaningful way (hey, people like it, its unique). In the 90s, it was one of the rules-lightest systems around. Lighter games just didn't exist, not as we think of them now. There were no The Quiet Years or Fiascos yet.

So keep that context in mind when people describe Fate as "rules light". Fate Accelerated boils the whole game down to like, 4 pages, but Fate Core and games working off of it are pretty complex. Especially since like, the core resolution system is one of the most complicated around, so even though that's 95% of the game's rules and rules complexity, its something you need to deal with constantly every time you do anything, ever.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Don't forget that to a lot of the hobby D&D is the "standard", so anything less complex is to be considered "lite."

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Did the 'OPP are bad and don't pay freelancers' get a lot of discussion back when it was first happening on Twitter back in April?

http://imgur.com/gallery/aDj92

rpgnet has shut down discussion on it, because half the mods freelance for opp so they're struggling with how to handle it.

I can imagine a 'both sides' where Holden is bad at putting in paperwork, but that OPP are also poo poo at managing things - if only because of quite how awful Richard Thomas is at customer relations publicly, so I can only assume he's even worse at it in private with freelancers.

PST fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 22, 2017

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Not that it's any kind of defense, but a shocking amount of RPG companies (and, really, companies outside this industry) string freelancers along. Those that are roughly legitimate business-shaped tend to pay eventually, with rare tire-fire exceptions like Catalyst.

Which, again, isn't a great look even if you're dragging your feet on paying an rear end in a top hat. But "I picked up the contract from CCP" sounds like there's more going on than just "isn't fulfilling obligations." There are people who have gotten tons of late payments and missing comps from [?WW/CCP/OPP?], and there are also people who (always? often?) get paid in a timely fashion and get comps of every book they sneeze at.

:shrug:

Also, that Italy trip was an expenses-paid convention thing where Rich was a guest of honor. So, you know. Maybe when you start sounding like Frank Trollman raving about Rich Thomas' extravagant Kickstarter scam lifestyle, shut the gently caress up.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 22, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The OPP thing got a bunch of discussion on here in the WOD thread. Hill's situation and the Exalted 3e situation are kinda separate.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

gnome7 posted:

In the 90s, [FATE] was one of the rules-lightest systems around. Lighter games just didn't exist, not as we think of them now. There were no The Quiet Years or Fiascos yet.

This isn't true at all. FATE came out in 2003, for one. It's is based on FUDGE, which was even slimmer, and did originally come out in the 90s. There was even another FUDGE clone, Kobalds Ate My Baby, that was successful enough to run multiple editions and also get reused for Ninja Burger.

For comparison, while I wouldn't call it "rules-light," Luke Crane had already published Burning Wheel in print before FATE came along.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

This isn't true at all. FATE came out in 2003, for one. It's is based on FUDGE, which was even slimmer, and did originally come out in the 90s. There was even another FUDGE clone, Kobalds Ate My Baby, that was successful enough to run multiple editions and also get reused for Ninja Burger.

For comparison, while I wouldn't call it "rules-light," Luke Crane had already published Burning Wheel in print before FATE came along.

I have been corrected before when referring to Burning Wheel as a rules light game, and subsequent looks at it have reaffirmed for me that it is any thing but that.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Fate Accelerated is pretty light, but all the good Fate Core games have some weighty mechanical systems attached to them give you stuff to work with. I haven't seen the Fate Accelerated update of the Dresden Files rules, but they probably kept the spell system and stuff from that to it too.

What are the good Fate Core games? (asking everyone, not just Nuns with Guns)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Scyther posted:

Atomic Robo has a good reputation. Kerberos Club just drips with style and is one of the few ways you can get away with steampunk these days. I haven't actually played them though so I couldn't tell you if they work as intended.
Gods and Monsters mixes bits and pieces of FAE and Fate Core, and it's pretty wonderful, although the language isn't always all that clear.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Kerberos Club isn't Fate Core unless they've done a Core verison since I last looked. It's off in its own fate derivative called StrangeFATE.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Scyther posted:

Atomic Robo is the best implementation of the system I've seen. It is the easiest to pick up and learn (Fate is not rules-lite by any measure), with plenty of comic panels used to illustrate how the game runs in play, and skill modes are the perfect distillation of the skill pyramid.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Scyther posted:

Like paradoxGentleman said, Atomic Robo is the best one. I shouldn't have used "Fate Core" to describe other decent Fate games because I was also thinking of stuff like Spirit of the Century and the Dresden Files and those haven't been updated from Fate 3rd edition to Core (4th). They're alright, but Dresden being full of wizards leads to some obvious balance issues between builds.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Kerberos Club isn't Fate Core unless they've done a Core verison since I last looked. It's off in its own fate derivative called StrangeFATE.

To be specific, StrangeFATE is a modified 3rd edition with rules for making super power skills

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'll vouch for Atomic Robo, it's very geared to wacky science adventures but it got me to understand how to build Stunts which has been super useful for other Fate games.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Every PbtA game I've read has had really bad art, save for Masks which alright. Like, I was gonna give Fellowship a go but that would require looking at the book and I cannot do so because it's a compilation of every art trend I hate

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SunAndSpring posted:

Every PbtA game I've read has had really bad art, save for Masks which alright. Like, I was gonna give Fellowship a go but that would require looking at the book and I cannot do so because it's a compilation of every art trend I hate

Actually, Fellowship's art really owns.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

SunAndSpring posted:

Your art tastes suck.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Actually, Fellowship's art really owns.

It's so saccharine! It's the visual equivalent of swallowing a gallon of sugar water. And I really like cute stuff, so this is saying a lot coming from me

Serf
May 5, 2011

yeah the art in fellowship is some of the best i've seen

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Fellowship's art is great.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
:( I feel really left out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis