Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

chutche2 posted:

So a kinda hilarious thing me and my friends came up with

A 185 point vanguard detachment consisting of 1 company commander and 6 platoon commanders, all with power axes and laspistols. You get guys with 3-4 wounds, 3 attacks, and a 5+ invuln save that hit on 3+, and if they're ever in combat during their shooting phase they can all give themselves Fix Bayonets and immediately make 3 attacks each

:laffo:

I want to see that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Speaking of Guard, 8th has made me finally get around to painting the Hydra I've had for who knows how long.

gently caress your [FLY]ers

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Speaking of Guard, 8th has made me finally get around to painting the Hydra I've had for who knows how long.

gently caress your [FLY]ers

Looks great. I especially love the red glowing thing.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
What is the goonsensus on 8th? Pick up the game again, or burn your minis?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

Looks great. I especially love the red glowing thing.

It looks like legit glass. It's incredible.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

chutche2 posted:

So a kinda hilarious thing me and my friends came up with

A 185 point vanguard detachment consisting of 1 company commander and 6 platoon commanders, all with power axes and laspistols. You get guys with 3-4 wounds, 3 attacks, and a 5+ invuln save that hit on 3+, and if they're ever in combat during their shooting phase they can all give themselves Fix Bayonets and immediately make 3 attacks each

And if you play them right they will be immune to shooting attacks 😂

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

8th is insanely good compared to 7th. I don't play other war games so I couldn't tell you if it's actually good or not.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Kingfish posted:

And if you play them right they will be immune to shooting attacks 😂

Putting them in a taurox and keeping it slightly ahead of them when they disembark is a good way to do that. Could also replace one of the platoon commanders with a command squad.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Sexual Aluminum posted:

It seems pretty drat good so far. GW have plenty of chances to gently caress stuff up moving forward but for now things are looking up.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

chutche2 posted:

So speaking of nurgle stuff.

Once my AoS list is done, how out of place would putrid blightkings be as counts-as nurgle terminators?

They're loving amazing models, and now I think i'll be using mine as counts-as Chaos Spawn for a nurgle army.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Texmo posted:

They're loving amazing models, and now I think i'll be using mine as counts-as Chaos Spawn for a nurgle army.

They'd probably do better as Possessed than Chaos Spawn

But then I hear posessed are garbage.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

I have a bunch of heavy bolter devastators and I don't have a single grav weapon in my army. :colbert: I never bought any because my marines are mostly from 3rd/4th edition.

I'll be honest, man, I know what you're trying to get at, but the "Power is for cool dudes who don't care about balanced games like some kind of grognard" blanket statements are really lame. People can play with what they like; I've been trying to frame my posts as my own personal preference, not an absolute. I just see more loopholes and the possibility for abuse with Power and that's why I'll be avoiding it. It's not that I expect my friends to build lists like that, but I don't like that the option is there. I think it serves its purpose as a simpler system to ease new players into the game and with the right crowd it is probably fine. That doesn't change the fact that it doesn't account for everything. If taking a powerfist, for example, added 1 power to a unit, I'd be more open to it.

It's not for me and that is all I have been trying to get at. :shobon:

Nah, man it's not like that--I'm totally OK with people playing to win and going full bore at 40k. I like to do that sometimes too. It's not about calling people "filthy WAAC-ers," which I agree is lame poo poo. It's just more about the vibe of the game you are playing is what I'm saying, and if you are worried about loopholes and abuse, then it's just not for you. I don't think it's a tautology, either--it's more that you have to just be OK with the idea that somewhere, there's a more granular points system that may say one player has a slight advantage over the other

Let me put it this way: When I play against BuffaloChicken or srm, we'll probably use power. It's quicker and easier and I'll throw something together based on WSIWYG with my models and I don't care if I'm down by a hundred points or so going into the game. We'll also probably play an asymmetric scenario.

When I play against my buddy Dan, those games are more competitive and we'll play with points cause that's the type of game we'll play. In those games, I care a lot more about having balanced forces down to the granular points.

It's not that I think PLs are the be-all end-all, just that they're very good for a type of game/mood and not just to be "intro versions of points." I think they do a decent job describing the general strength of stuff and are good for building lists for WSIWYG armies that have "subpar" loadouts.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

8th is pretty good and it's a great time to get back into the game.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 22, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sexual Aluminum posted:

It feels like a good step because ,yeah , 7th was bloated as gently caress. Big fan of the vehicle simplification. On the other hand I dont like how they are handling points vs power level. Also few other nit-picky things but over all it does seem like they are trying to improve game play. I can't stand the story line behind primaris marines but I love the models.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

goose willis posted:

I haven't looked at Games Workshop prices in a while because I mostly get my material off eBay sales but uh

Sisters of Silence are 80 dollars for ten plastic figurines? That used to be for like a mega battle force back in the day or some poo poo

I feel like you could just get them for free buying Burning of Prospero sets, breaking them up, and selling the 30 mk3s, Tartaros terminators, and Custodes on ebay. Or to Goons, I could use some Custodes.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Thanks to this post, I just ordered 60 Howling Griffons shoulder symbols, and decided to go for painting my Primaris just like Zuul.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I didn't think of that. Excellent idea!

Finished a Lieutenant. Still need to base them, but i'll do all that later. Sorry for the phone pics!

I also went crazy for the heavy jump troops, and now own 12 of them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TwingeCrag posted:

Stormboyz are literally manned anti-aircraft rockets now. This timeline is getting better :unsmith:

They can assault planes. That is the orkiest thing ever to ork. :orks101:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Look if you're worried about getting the most out of units when you do a PL game, then they're not for you. And that is totally fine

But if you built your army 3 editions ago and don't want to break off anyone's arms to kit your unit out to proper 8th edition build specs so you can have the most efficient army, then hey maybe consider PLs

I'm liking the concept for my orky vehicles because it means I can model them however I think it looks cool and not have to hack them up if I want to try another loadout for something that isn't easily magnetized.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 22, 2017

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Cross-posting my pink Ham-bois.

Just a few quick photos of the 4 chosen I've finished for my new Emperors Children army. Sorry for the poo poo quality photos, currently waiting on new phone. These pictures don't do the pink justice. It's supposed to be Vallejo Game Color - Squid Pink

The shading is pretty heavy handed, and this is my first go at models this detailed, but I think they came out alright. :shobon:

Still trying to get the process down, and watching a ton of videos. Gonna invest in an airbrush sometime soon and a few new detail brushes so highlights don't end up being so big and messy.

Wanted to go more :sparkles: Emperor's Children. While i was painting a few of these at my FLGS, a few people commented they liked them, but could never bring themselves to field a pink army, thus giving me more confidence that this was the correct decision. Going to do the bases with flowers as well. (Thanks whomever posted the flower links earlier!) Also, here is my terminator sorcerer with a female human head.

These look really good dude. I love the colour scheme choice and I think on the tabletop they will look fantastic. I always feel we often get hung up on what the models look like at painting distance but actually what matters is what they look like on the tabletop.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Just want to check, I assume the interpretation of the tyranid/ork/whatever rules that say things like "If this unit contains 20 or more models" then it doesn't apply if you have some in the unit die in the game itself, taking it below the number?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

General Olloth posted:

Just want to check, I assume the interpretation of the tyranid/ork/whatever rules that say things like "If this unit contains 20 or more models" then it doesn't apply if you have some in the unit die in the game itself, taking it below the number?

Yes. The moment it falls below the threshold the bonus no longer applies.

Upon comparison, it looks like the Triumvirate models are all primaris sized (cypher, etc).

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

Yes. The moment it falls below the threshold the bonus no longer applies.

Upon comparison, it looks like the Triumvirate models are all primaris sized (cypher, etc).

Yeah I thought so.

I ordered the Tyranid Swarm box and it has 40 termagants and 40 hormagaunts. I should run blobs of 30/10 and not 20/20 if losing a single model drops the bonus right?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

General Olloth posted:

Yeah I thought so.

I ordered the Tyranid Swarm box and it has 40 termagants and 40 hormagaunts. I should run blobs of 30/10 and not 20/20 if losing a single model drops the bonus right?

Yeah. One model drops and you'll be down the bonus, so if you want to leverage it you need some buffer.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Keep in mind this isn't always true.

Plaguebearers get their bonus if you had 20 models at the beginning of the phase. Make sure to read your rules.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Keep in mind this isn't always true.

Plaguebearers get their bonus if you had 20 models at the beginning of the phase. Make sure to read your rules.

Yeah it doesn't say beginning here in the tyranids rules. It's a really short sentence that I guess you could argue the other way because it's a little vague but I assume the intent is that it's gone once you're below.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

General Olloth posted:

Yeah it doesn't say beginning here in the tyranids rules. It's a really short sentence that I guess you could argue the other way because it's a little vague but I assume the intent is that it's gone once you're below.

In the case of tyranids, yes.

I'm saying always read your rules because they don't all work like this.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

The Kingfish posted:

8th is insanely good compared to 7th. I don't play other war games so I couldn't tell you if it's actually good or not.

I play way to many wargames, not played 40K since 3rd edition and 8th is actually good. Also PL are good too.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Someone in this thread commented that the Fire Raptor gunship is amazing. I just read an article saying the Stormraven fills that role better.

If I only had budget for 1, which would you guys recommend? (And with which weapon choices?)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't know what the new 40k fire raptor rules are but the old rules and 30k rules for it are loving crazy.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

dexefiend posted:

Someone in this thread commented that the Fire Raptor gunship is amazing. I just read an article saying the Stormraven fills that role better.

Fire Raptor is amazing. Building one is like looking into the abyss of all your lifes bad choices though. :shrug:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

In the case of tyranids, yes.

I'm saying always read your rules because they don't all work like this.

I don't understand how the tactical difference is enough to warrant two separate rules. Or worse, the dozen different rules that all say "set up in reserve and deploy >9" away at the end of any movement phase".

The lack of USRs are baffling.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

dexefiend posted:

If I only had budget for 1, which would you guys recommend? (And with which weapon choices?)

Personally I'd buy a Valkyrie and just counts-as it as either, because the Fire Raptor and the Stormraven look like flying dumpsters. That's just me though...

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
My new favourite models are the zombie poxwalker who's hammered nails through a flamethrower to turn it into a club, and the other one who's scratching his chin with a third arm he's sprouted for the purpose.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

I don't understand how the tactical difference is enough to warrant two separate rules. Or worse, the dozen different rules that all say "set up in reserve and deploy >9" away at the end of any movement phase".

The lack of USRs are baffling.

They got the message "too many redundant USRs we have to waste time looking up when they finally come into play" and decided that meant everyone wanted to go back to 3rd edition where there were ten flavours of the same rule written marginally differently.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

The Kingfish posted:

Can Pask give orders to himself?

E:as written he definitely can, but I'm not sure if that was geedubs intent.

I was going to make some argument that was like "but I read tank orders can't go to characters" but looks like Pask has an exception. Neat.

Played last night. Back to the DA razorspam with cherub/lascannon devs, 2 stormtalons, and a chimera full of primais psykers against 60 cron warriors, two c'tan shards, 10 wraiths and 3 heavy destroyers. I boarded him on the top of three. Let me tell you, smite spam is a thing and having 10 characters running around with force staves is terrifying.

I also picked up a Bobby G last night. Razorspam with reroll to wound sounds pretty rough.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Geoff Zahn posted:

I wish I was insane enough to make a 1000 pt Guard army that is just 300 conscripts, 3 company commanders, and 6 scout sentinels with autocannons.

Don't forget the Commissars!

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I was skeptical, but it's been playing great so far. Simple, intuitive and fast. Big improvement over 6th/7th, IMO.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Personally I'd buy a Valkyrie and just counts-as it as either, because the Fire Raptor and the Stormraven look like flying dumpsters. That's just me though...

The fire raptor looks like the 40k equivalent of a Havoc gunship and is baller as gently caress. The 40k flyers on the other hand look weird. The fire raptor is a big model.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

I was going to make some argument that was like "but I read tank orders can't go to characters" but looks like Pask has an exception. Neat.

Played last night. Back to the DA razorspam with cherub/lascannon devs, 2 stormtalons, and a chimera full of primais psykers against 60 cron warriors, two c'tan shards, 10 wraiths and 3 heavy destroyers. I boarded him on the top of three. Let me tell you, smite spam is a thing and having 10 characters running around with force staves is terrifying.

I also picked up a Bobby G last night. Razorspam with reroll to wound sounds pretty rough.

I was like "why, are psykers any good now?" and then I realised you actually did mean Primaris and lol smite spam is too funny of an idea.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I haven't had the chance to play yet, but every battle report I've watched just wind up with a huge pile of melee by turn 2 no matter what kind of armies are used. Is this a problem people have run into? Is melee the winner over shooting this round?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

I haven't had the chance to play yet, but every battle report I've watched just wind up with a huge pile of melee by turn 2 no matter what kind of armies are used. Is this a problem people have run into? Is melee the winner over shooting this round?

People aren't used to the new rules. You want to actually deploy farther away from the center, fall back and kite regularly, and have a plan for getting to objectives later if you are a shooting army now. It doesn't HAVE to be a big melee ball.

If you play two assault armies then I guess that is likely if you don't have objectives spread out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

I was like "why, are psykers any good now?" and then I realised you actually did mean Primaris and lol smite spam is too funny of an idea.

Yeah it was something else. I killed 15 warriors and the deceiver turn one. Turn two they melted most of the wraiths. Just forcing an ocean of mortal wounds is pretty good.

ETC is considering banning the HQ detachment because of garbage like this and Tau missile commanders.