Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Is that a rare?

Looks perfect for my "all cute" Phelddagrif deck!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Kinda makes you sad that Always Watching is rotating out soon huh?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

YggdrasilTM posted:

I like this!

reprint unearth you loving cowards. there's even cycling in this set!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

You've paid 9 mana to create the first Zombie....

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

one assumes you play this in a deck that played or made a zombie before turn five

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

mcmagic posted:

Dang you cracked the nut. It's a 9 mana 4/4.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

mcmagic posted:

You've paid 5 mana for a 5/5 with considerable upside. You then pay 4 mana and no cards for a 4/4 that likely has text. If the base card was like, an enchantment, then sure, but disregarding the fact that you're getting a creature for your initial mana investment is disingenuous.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

You paid 5 mana to make the God and 4 mana to make the zombie. It's not an artifact or an enchantment, the god is a bona fide 5/5 for 5.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

No, Bolas! Don't kill the cute little bird! :ohdear:

*spoiler season voice* basically baleful strix with additional upside

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i'm really glad mcmagic is here to explain to us that cards aren't good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

little munchkin posted:

*spoiler season voice* basically baleful strix with additional upside

You've paid 7 mana to draw 1 card....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Lord of Hats posted:

You've paid 5 mana for a 5/5 with considerable upside. You then pay 4 mana and no cards for a 4/4 that likely has text. If the base card was like, an enchantment, then sure, but disregarding the fact that you're getting a creature for your initial mana investment is disingenuous.

You do get this body which is fine but you're not going to be scrying unless you're already ahead on board. All these new gods feel very win more to me. But then again we have no idea what the format is going to look like. If it's very slow, they could all be good.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 22, 2017

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I would pay big money for a LGS security video to watch mcmagic argue with people in his local shop about card evaluation

mcmagic posted:

But then again we have no idea what the format is going to look like. If it's very slow, they could all be good.

Turbof.....

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Doubling striking cat zombie looks fun

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mcmagic posted:

You do get this body which is fine but you're not going to be scrying unless you're already ahead on board. All these new gods feel very win more to me. But then again we have no idea what the format is going to look like. If it's very slow, they could all be good.

Owning a single zombie is now "ahead on board", good to know.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The big question is if this 5 drop is better than Liliana's Mastery; and if so, is it worth splashing blue for it in mono-black zombies.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

May throw this into XMage to try tonight. I really liked Conley Woods Mono Bluedrazi from a few days ago.

Todd Stevens 5-0'd with it, playing against 3 Mardu Vehicles, 1 GB Energy, and I have no clue what the other match was.

After the league, he suggested making a Mountain (it should have been a Westvale Abbey, but I misread the screen) a Sea Gate Wreckage for Control, and maybe swap out the Dragonmaster Outcasts (I can't believe this junk Mythic from the first Zendikar is actually seeing play) and Mirrorwing Dragon for some other cards.

Hasty Hanweir Garrisons are really good, btw. You generally have enough removal to clear the way, and he makes clocks tick really fast.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the god's activated ability is basically "give every creature in every graveyard eternalize, but only for you" you shouldn't really think of it in terms of generating arbitrary 4/4 zombie tokens

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Shadow225 posted:

Todd Stevens 5-0'd with it, playing against 3 Mardu Vehicles, 1 GB Energy, and I have no clue what the other match was.

After the league, he suggested making a Mountain (it should have been a Westvale Abbey, but I misread the screen) a Sea Gate Wreckage for Control, and maybe swap out the Dragonmaster Outcasts (I can't believe this junk Mythic from the first Zendikar is actually seeing play) and Mirrorwing Dragon for some other cards.

Hasty Hanweir Garrisons are really good, btw. You generally have enough removal to clear the way, and he makes clocks tick really fast.

Is there a video?

edit: found it on twitch

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 22, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DangerDongs posted:

The big question is if this 5 drop is better than Liliana's Mastery; and if so, is it worth splashing blue for it in mono-black zombies.

Doesn't that deck go away because of rotation?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening posted:

Doesn't that deck go away because of rotation?

Next set. The deck is still there until Ixalan.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

DangerDongs posted:

No. Liliana's Mastery has immediate impact whereas you need at least a turn to get some real value out of this guy. But after rotation this could slot into zombies if there's enough stuff in HoD and Ixalan to make up for all the cards zombies will lose from the sets rotating out.

Very big if though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Locust God doesn't quite grant Eternalize; the tokens keep their mana values.

Might get ambitious and try Esper Zombies.

I've just notice Priest of the Blood Rite is standard-legal thanks to the PW decks, he plays nice with Locust God. Angel of Invention might be good too.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 22, 2017

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Well, that definitely is aggressive.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Interesting risk/reward on this one in particular I think. Possibly an amazing T2, one worth giving up most of T3. Can also get punished for it badly.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't think the Scarab God is a "win more card". It's good at parity. It's stats probably aren't as good as other pushed 5 drops, but it gives you the option to make 4/4s for 4 mana, which is quite powerful. It's a decent play if you are behind versus aggro, as you can trade zombies for their threats. It won't pull you back from imminent death, but it put's you in a position of inevitability.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This gives me a headache.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

teddust posted:

I don't think the Scarab God is a "win more card". It's good at parity. It's stats probably aren't as good as other pushed 5 drops, but it gives you the option to make 4/4s for 4 mana, which is quite powerful. It's a decent play if you are behind versus aggro, as you can trade zombies for their threats. It won't pull you back from imminent death, but it put's you in a position of inevitability.

4/4s with abilities/etb effects.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh hey it's another Tooth and Nail for Kiki+Conscripts in commander.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So it's basically a 5/4 for 2 with Echo... Is this good? I have no idea.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

Oh hey it's another Tooth and Nail for Kiki+Conscripts in commander.

It only gets them to the hand, not into play.

Still definitely a Commander card I'd say

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

If there is a UBx control deck in standard, I think this guy is a decent finisher. As far as I can tell, there isn't a lot in the format that can kill him outright, and he grinds you out of the game with a bunch of 4/4s. I don't know if the support for that type of control deck exists because I don't play the format, but if a theoretical deck that is filled with spot removal, ways to refill your hand, and this guy I think would do well.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

2GG get Devoted Druid and Vizier of Remedies. To your hand. :(

Comedy option: GG: Shuffle your library.

edit: Would this have been broken as an instant?

odiv fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 22, 2017

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

odiv posted:

2GG get Devoted Druid and Vizier of Remedies. To your hand. :(

Comedy option: GG: Shuffle your library.

3 mana =1 CMC 1 dude to hand
4 Mana= 2 CMC 2 dudes to hand
5 Mana = 3 CMC 3 dudes to hand
6 mana = 4 CMC 4 dudes to hand

I can't imagine this card being cast for more than 5 very often (outside of EDH).

I don't know if it is strong enough for standard, but it seems like it could be good in some sort of grindy midrange green deck, but I would be very surprised if it has a place in Modern when CoCo and Chord both exist.

The design is cool though.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Madmarker posted:

3 mana =1 CMC 1 dude to hand
4 Mana= 2 CMC 2 dudes to hand
5 Mana = 3 CMC 3 dudes to hand
6 mana = 4 CMC 4 dudes to hand

I can't imagine this card being cast for more than 5 very often (outside of EDH).

I don't know if it is strong enough for standard, but it seems like it could be good in some sort of grindy midrange green deck, but I would be very surprised if it has a place in Modern when CoCo and Chord both exist.

The design is cool though.

cast for 5 seems the sweet spot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

If there is a UBx control deck in standard, I think this guy is a decent finisher. As far as I can tell, there isn't a lot in the format that can kill him outright, and he grinds you out of the game with a bunch of 4/4s. I don't know if the support for that type of control deck exists because I don't play the format, but if a theoretical deck that is filled with spot removal, ways to refill your hand, and this guy I think would do well.

Torrential Gearhulk is so much better than this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Torrential Gearhulk is so much better than this though.

Gearhulk also costs 6 and this buys back Gearhulks

E: I think this card is made to win midrange wars more than a a control finisher