Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Is see your 'Shiplap' and raise you Corrugated Iron:

http://mountainmodernlife.com/creative-ways-to-use-corrugated-metal-in-interior-design/

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/368098969526244936/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m not impressed unless they have enough rusting iron to denude the room of oxygen and kill visitors.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Why does she have full sized bath towels in a half bath?

lol

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MisterOblivious posted:

Sharing a fun new update at my house with you all today! It’s a shiplap display wall and I’m so excited about it! Remember when I had my carpenter put up shiplap in Kole’s new room? I loved it so much that I decided we needed a little more of it. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get enough white molding/planks in my life. :)

http://www.thesunnysideupblog.com/2016/08/shiplap-display-wall/

I had been going back and forth on what to put on the wall in this spot between my office and powder bathroom and then it hit me! That would be the perfect spot for some shiplap. I drew my carpenter a quick sketch and he got to work.

Maybe I'm terrible but knowing that it's supposed to a display wall and have a bunch of crap on it make it less objectionable. It's still bad, but on the same level as the rest of that bland-rear end house instead of being the worst feature in a pile of blandness.

Also powder bathroom sounds like the toilet you've set aside for cocaine use.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's like the office of an owner of a rendering plant. But evil because they're going after endangered species to sell as aphrodisiacs.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Bad Munki posted:

Just an autocorrect typo, that's actually the entrance to M'udr'üm, the underkingdom of the Darkitechts, the most craven and sinister of interior designers.

Crappy Construction Tales: The entrance to M'udr'üm, the underkingdom of the Darkitechts, the most craven and sinister of interior designers.

Edit:fixed a typo

lordofthefishes fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 22, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

deadwing posted:

it's where the mudpeople live

We prefer to be called Finns.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

frozenphil posted:

Is the perspective jacked or is that mudroom door like 4 feet tall?

I think it's because it's just an under the stairs closet. But does that area actually connect to an outside door because otherwise calling it a mudroom is loving dumb. It's just a closet.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

Vintage 2017

I wonder which of the drawers/doors on that corner to the right actually works. Or do they have diagonal backs?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I think it's because it's just an under the stairs closet. But does that area actually connect to an outside door because otherwise calling it a mudroom is loving dumb. It's just a closet.

I think maybe the room she is standing in while taking the picture is the mudroom. The understairs closet is in the mudroom. The outside door is behind her, out of frame.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

The house really is vintage 2017. Someone should lock it up for future urbanex types to discover.

Can't hate on that kitchen though. 48" range, 2 sinks, quartz counters and inset cabinets? Yes please. Hopefully that lady will come to her senses and dismantle the second island and put an actual table in.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Something something always leave plenty of slack

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

kid sinister posted:

What in the ever living gently caress... :magical:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No you see the ratchet acts as a mechanical diode, it's a half-wave rectifier, obviously

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bad Munki posted:

No you see the ratchet acts as a mechanical diode, it's a half-wave rectifier, obviously

But there are two ratches in series.

Either they have the same polarity and are needed to handle the voltage, or they’re Zener ratchets.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think maybe the room she is standing in while taking the picture is the mudroom. The understairs closet is in the mudroom. The outside door is behind her, out of frame.

Shows hundreds of photos of the house and children, won't post the floorplan "for privacy reasons."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kid sinister posted:

That's like a 30mm dia wire :stonk:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

courtesy of my very own bathroom

ten feet away: huh i wonder why there's corner molding on some corners but not others

three feet away: oh

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's like a 30mm dia wire :stonk:

it looks like 4/0 but that's a way way thinner jacket than i've ever worked with

edit: ask me about the time i was working in a cable shop and an order came in for a shitload of double-jacket 4/0, which we'd never even heard of. turns out they use that poo poo on locomotives. not being in the locomotive industry, we asked the client why they'd specced that cable. "we're going to half bury it in permafrost and run it over with forklifts." whatever dudes, your cable.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 22, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Olivebridge Cottage gets another update.

quote:

Then some more decisions. How tall are the first floor ceilings? I say 10 feet. Adriana wants 12. How tall are the second floor ceilings? I say 8. Adriana insists on 10. All of a sudden the house gets four feet taller. That doesn’t sound like a big deal, but things like that had a bigger impact on everything—costs and time, for instance—than any of us appreciated at the time. That’s longer lumber, more insulation, more of all the finishing materials…whoopsie!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I hate everyone involved

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whoopsie!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Turns out when I put my smokes in years ago I wired them into two different circuits so you have to turn off two breakers to kill my bathroom vent fan. I found out because I'm gutting the bathroom, so I guess leaving it for a few more days won't kill me but I suppose I should fix it. That was a nasty bug to track down though, it took me a while to consider turning off all the breakers then turning things on one at time until the fan came on, which happened for two breakers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not mine but good times.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
That just gives you something to do after waffle stomping.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

Vintage 2017

WHY??? Why so much white in a kitchen???

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's the style now. I don't care for it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

topenga posted:

WHY??? Why so much white in a kitchen???

I am looking into my future, I know it. My fiancee loves white everything. Bought our house a little over a year ago, and the old owners had lots of stained wood. The base, and trim is stained, kitchen cabinets are stained, doors, etc. It's mostly an orange/brown kind of color. I'm generally ok with it, but she's already mentioned how she wishes the trim was white, and talked about painting over our cabinets in white. I don't mind white, but I'm worried that slowly like 90% of our house is going to be white.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There's not a :ughh: big enough.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/06/21/home-depot-menards-lumber-size-lawsuit/415874001/

quote:

Two home improvements stores are accused of deceiving the buyers of four-by-four boards, the big brother to the ubiquitous two-by-four.

The alleged deception: Menards and Home Depot (HD) market and sell the hefty lumber as four-by-fours without specifying that the boards actually measure 3½ inches by 3½ inches.

The lawsuits against the retailers would-be class actions, filed within five days of each other in federal court for the Northern District of Illinois. Attorneys from the same Chicago law firm represent the plaintiffs in both cases. Each suit seeks more than $5 million.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

WTH. I'm pretty sure HD lists the actual dimensions on the placard in the stores. They sure list it online. I want to smack the lawyers who accepted this and people who wanted to bring suit over it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Oh what the gently caress. The most frivolous of lawsuits

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I would love for dimensional lumber to have stricter tolerances though. Sometimes two different batches can be way the gently caress off.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

xwing posted:

WTH. I'm pretty sure HD lists the actual dimensions on the placard in the stores. They sure list it online. I want to smack the lawyers who accepted this and people who wanted to bring suit over it.

It's stupid, but at least on HD's website they call it 4 in. x 4 in. Further down it lists the actual dimensions as 3.56 in. Maybe that's what this is arguing. Probably should just list is as 4x4 and not say 4 in. x 4 in.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-4-in-x-8-ft-2-Ground-Contact-Pressure-Treated-Southern-Yellow-Pine-Timber-194354/205220341

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Elendil004 posted:

I would love for dimensional lumber to have stricter tolerances though. Sometimes two different batches can be way the gently caress off.

Oh man, trying to get nice mitered corners on cedar siding thats really off is not fun

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Presumably they are just there for looks, like everything else in her house, and no one ever uses them.

You know, I get a little jealous when I see a house as organized, and clean, and pretty as that, and then I realize that mine is a mess because we actually USE the house, and have stuff in the house that likewise gets used on a regular basis, rather than being a museum of Interior Design. In other words, I have a comfortable, warm, lived in space, where she's got a store display. Then I'm OK with my mess, mostly.

kid sinister posted:

Oh, Jesus Christ get that the hell away from me! No, nope, nein!

Surprise! 2x4s aren't, either!
Wait - aren't 4x4s usually like fence posts and such?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I don't know poo poo about poo poo, and even I know 4x4 is the pre-planed measurements, and you lose a 1/4 of an inch roughly on each side from the finishing.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The Olivebridge Cottage gets another update.

quote:

All of a sudden the house gets four feet taller. That doesn’t sound like a big deal

We need a :catstare: + :siren: for that line.

Does sound like a new thread title, doesn't it?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Darchangel posted:

Wait - aren't 4x4s usually like fence posts and such?

Also used in framing.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

We need a :catstare: + :siren: for that line.

Does sound like a new thread title, doesn't it?

Seriously. How the hell is that NOT a big deal? Do people think most buildings are just made out of legos?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh man this blog is giving me flashbacks to working in architecture.

"Then some more decisions. How tall are the first floor ceilings? I say 10 feet. Adriana wants 12. How tall are the second floor ceilings? I say 8. Adriana insists on 10. All of a sudden the house gets four feet taller. That doesn’t sound like a big deal, but things like that had a bigger impact on everything—costs and time, for instance—than any of us appreciated at the time. That’s longer lumber, more insulation, more of all the finishing materials…whoopsie!"

12' ceilings can be nice in a "great room" or something but in, what is this, a cottage? You don't need loving 12 foot ceilings in your guest bedroom and you don't need 10 in your 2nd floor bedrooms. 10 and 8 would have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
We had to raise the roof of our factory at work by less than 10 feet in order to accommodate the larger track and robot system we use to move materials inside the factory.

It cost dozens of millions, but it was worth it compared to the alternative.

Spending a pile of treasure to raise the ceilings for aesthetic whims does not seem worth it