Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Field Mousepad posted:

Always watch the Trailer Park Boys if you smoke weed. I don't even smoke weed and I love that show.

I just realized that I thought this was the same as Eastbound and Down. Maybe it is still? I've never seen either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

I just realized that I thought this was the same as Eastbound and Down. Maybe it is still? I've never seen either.

Okay, well, watch Eastbound and Down. Now.

Then watch Trailer Park Boys, but probably start at Season 2 and then give up when it gets stale (most people agree that 2-6 are great)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You gotta start TPB at season 1 to appreciate the best long running gag that you don't realize until maybe season 3.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

You gotta start TPB at season 1 to appreciate the best long running gag that you don't realize until maybe season 3.

Which is? I haven't watched the show in years.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Which is? I haven't watched the show in years.

Julian's rum and coke.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Franchescanado posted:

Okay, well, watch Eastbound and Down. Now.

Then watch Trailer Park Boys, but probably start at Season 2 and then give up when it gets stale (most people agree that 2-6 are great)

I just googled Eastbound and Down and poo poo it is a lot different than I had thought it was.

I only knew the name before, and for some reason always assumed it was something along the lines of downton abbey. Maybe because both have down in their name I dunno.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Julian's rum and coke.

Oh, I caught onto that in Season 2 when he had one with him every time he was driving as well. It is a great gag, but you don't need S1 for that. The only thing about S1 to know is that they are "reformed" criminals being followed by a film crew for a COPS-like TV show about criminals recently out of prison. That, and they like growing pot.

BrainDance posted:

I just googled Eastbound and Down and poo poo it is a lot different than I had thought it was.

I only knew the name before, and for some reason always assumed it was something along the lines of downton abbey. Maybe because both have down in their name I dunno.

It's one of the best written & best improvised dark comedies with cinematic sensibilities and an all-star comedy cast acting weird as gently caress. It's worth it for season 1 Andy Daly alone.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Julian's rum and coke.

i honestly didnt notice it until they all got out of that car crash and he still had it. i dont know what season that was though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So I stopped watching House of Cards in the middle of Season 4 last year not because I didn't like it but because I got busy with other stuff and wasn't compelled to get back to it. Underwood just recovered from his transplant. I remember it kinda lagging that first half. Did it pick up? Is it worth going through all of it through the new season?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i honestly didnt notice it until they all got out of that car crash and he still had it. i dont know what season that was though.

drat, that was a great moment. I think that was near the end of S2 or middle S3.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Punkin Spunkin posted:

what's a good comedy or weird movie to get high to on Netflix rn...maybe something from the 80s I missed

The first thought that came to mind was my favorite 80's comedy Better Off Dead, but after researching it not streaming. So after that I kept going down the list Revenge of the Nerds, Bachelor Party, Police Academy, Stripes, Weird Science, Beverly Hills Cop, and so on. Guess what? None of them are on Netflix. Netflix needs to step up their 80's comedy game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Revenge of the Nerds does NOT hold up, what with the rape and terrible gay jokes :(

I've watched the entirety of Trailer Park Boys and always thought Julian drank Vodka and Coke

because I got high

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

BrainDance posted:

You guys like Bosch? My therapist recommended it to me for some reason so maybe there's something he wants me to see in it to like, be a better person. But I don't wanna sit through something real boring you know?

Yeah it's pretty solid.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

what's a good comedy or weird movie to get high to on Netflix rn. and I don't mean some niche white people comedy like that broadway show where I have to get really lame references to laugh. anyone about to suggest the American Office plz sit down. maybe something from the 80s I missed (which would mean all of the 80s, I have seen Big Trouble in Little China and the Escape From movies).
I was leaning towards rewatching Gremlins (60% sure I saw that as a kid...or was that an MST3K knockoff...), there's no Encino Man (never saw that)...I did find The Assassin which I keep meaning to watch but that might be 2 heavy

kinda wish they had The Void already

Hot Fuzz, Wet Hot American Summer, Tom Segura's standup,

Rory Scovels new special was excellent

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah it's pretty solid.

I found season 1 of Bosch to be a bit too "dad power fantasy" but season 2 is an huge step up

Similar in some ways, Chance on Hulu (with Hugh Laurie) is great, it's like Dr House's Noir Adventure With Earl's Brother and is surprisingly dark.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

nate fisher posted:

The first thought that came to mind was my favorite 80's comedy Better Off Dead, but after researching it not streaming. So after that I kept going down the list Revenge of the Nerds, Bachelor Party, Police Academy, Stripes, Weird Science, Beverly Hills Cop, and so on. Guess what? None of them are on Netflix. Netflix needs to step up their 80's comedy game.

In that same basket, you can watch Real Genius on Crackle for free. It's not funny, but that's not really what you watch 80's comedies for.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Thwomp posted:

So I stopped watching House of Cards in the middle of Season 4 last year not because I didn't like it but because I got busy with other stuff and wasn't compelled to get back to it. Underwood just recovered from his transplant. I remember it kinda lagging that first half. Did it pick up? Is it worth going through all of it through the new season?

It picks up steam from there, and season 5 is pretty good all the way through. Season 3 was the lowest point for the series for sure. But I have to wonder how much longer this show can keep going. Wasn't it originally only supposed to be 3 seasons?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really enjoyed House of Cards season 5 but be prepared for how absolutely absurd it is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's one of those shows that was built on a premise of escalation. What will Frank do next? How far will he really go? So naturally things have to get crazier and crazier and we're in season 5 now so there's going to be a point where it loses a lot of people, maybe its there already.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Castlevania comes to Netflix on July 7th.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

what's a good comedy or weird movie to get high to on Netflix rn. and I don't mean some niche white people comedy like that broadway show where I have to get really lame references to laugh. anyone about to suggest the American Office plz sit down. maybe something from the 80s I missed (which would mean all of the 80s, I have seen Big Trouble in Little China and the Escape From movies).
I was leaning towards rewatching Gremlins (60% sure I saw that as a kid...or was that an MST3K knockoff...), there's no Encino Man (never saw that)...I did find The Assassin which I keep meaning to watch but that might be 2 heavy

Hot Shots, Part Deux! is on Starz streaming if you have that, and it is still funny as hell. Dunno if the first is streaming anywhere, but it holds up too.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Rent Southland Tales on Amazon. Every once in a while I re-recommend it, because it is THE best adaptation of a Philip K. Dick novel he never wrote. If you're in the right frame of mind it's pretty funny too.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mysterious frankie posted:

Rent Southland Tales on Amazon. Every once in a while I re-recommend it, because it is THE best adaptation of a Philip K. Dick novel he never wrote. If you're in the right frame of mind it's pretty funny too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7aS01JpK0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm still patiently waiting for Southland Tales to get rediscovered for the gem it is. "The best book Philip k Dick never wrote" is extremely accurate

Unmature
May 9, 2008

precision posted:

edit: ^^^^ Revenge of the Nerds does NOT hold up, what with the rape and terrible gay jokes :(

I've watched the entirety of Trailer Park Boys and always thought Julian drank Vodka and Coke

because I got high

The rape thing is hosed UP. And the gay jokes are terrible, but I think it still gets points for having a gay protagonist, especially in an 80's tiddy comedy.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Lmao fuckin southland tales is so terrible

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
At first I was like what rape? I don't think I've seen the movie since the late 80's. Then I remember what happen in the 'moon walk' thing. Pretty bad.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Not to mention the whole "Nerds are as much a minority as African Americans" thing.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Not to mention the whole "Nerds are as much a minority as African Americans" thing.

It's basically a very early instance of the mra/"alt-right" white nerd worldview.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fayez Butts posted:

Lmao fuckin southland tales is so terrible

Man, I thought the same thing watching it the first time, until the ride along scene with John Lovitz's evil cop character. That was where it clicked for me. That movie is cheesy and trashy and bad, but it's pure PK Dick bad, where it's this distilled lowbrow naked lunch moment of horrible realization that all of what we experience is wrong and entirely surreal. It's exactly was he was trying to convey about our modern existence, minus all the attempts to clean it up and make it cool that so many Hollywood adaptors of his actual stories go for. Kelly nailed the aesthetic, the paranoia, the existential misery and most importantly the humor of being in an American power fantasy gone long.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A MIRACLE posted:

Hot Fuzz, Wet Hot American Summer, Tom Segura's standup,

Rory Scovels new special was excellent

I didn't care for the Rory Scovel special. I shut it off about the time Jack White showed up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I watched it on Shudder but it seems to be in heavy rotation on their free stream so...

Turkey Shoot is grade-A exploitation fun. It's basically your standard future prison/Most Dangerous Game story but everything else is so high quality.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BrainDance posted:

You guys like Bosch? My therapist recommended it to me for some reason so maybe there's something he wants me to see in it to like, be a better person. But I don't wanna sit through something real boring you know?

I like Bosch, it's a fairly typical jaded police detective series but it's played very well by the main cast. The plotlines are good too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My dad watches that show. I think it's the only reason he wants to visit me in LA

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So everything I've heard about American Horror Story makes it sound like an entertaining trainwreck. Am I wrong?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So everything I've heard about American Horror Story makes it sound like an entertaining trainwreck. Am I wrong?

It wasn't even a trainwreck for the first few seasons, so yea I'd recommend it. And each season is it's own storyline, so feel free to quit at any time or even skip a season if it's not clicking with you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Sort of. Seasons 1 and 2 are Legit Good. Season 3 is just very boring. Seasons 4 and 5 are definitely trainwrecks. Haven't seen 6 yet but I heard it was okay and a lot less "out there".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

Sort of. Seasons 1 and 2 are Legit Good. Season 3 is just very boring. Seasons 4 and 5 are definitely trainwrecks. Haven't seen 6 yet but I heard it was okay and a lot less "out there".

Season 6 uses a combination of ghost shows with re-enactment actors and found footage to tell the story. They somehow made a concept super up my alley very boring.