Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nuru posted:

The SB story can be summarized as a very angry, yet Scholarly, Lalafell constantly punching his other palm.

Someone in my static cracked a joke a few days ago that instead of actual talking fish, lalafells, catpeople, dog people, etc., the WoL is a supersoldier that is drugged up so much he is tripping balls. It's really a medieval world, but all the gods, talking crystals, flying dragons, and sentient potatoes are all the product of a hallucinogens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i just got a level 64 monk using tornado kick the moment he hit gl3.

i am so mad

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Harrow posted:

Is Black Mage as fun as it looks in Stormblood?

I ask because I just watched a video in which I'm pretty sure I saw a Black Mage Triplecast Flare-Foul-Flare and it looked amazing.

it's really fun and im enjoying it a lot. Thunder IV is amazing to fire off in dungeons. I'm only 67 so I have cheaper flare and foul to look forward to so things are just gonna get better.

You can basically do a blizz 3, blizz 4, thunder IV, fire III, fire 2, fire 2, triple cast flare, flare, convert, flare. you can probably swiftcast a foul in there as well to give you 4 instant huge AOE bombs. and its only a 90 sec cooldown.

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 22, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Something I noticed during late MSQ: Raubahn referred to my character as "lieutenant" quite a bit. I assume that's Flames-only?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Grand Company folks will usually refer to you by your rank regardless of affiliation. If you were just a private, he'd call you private.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
People from your GC always refer to you by rank - even stuff like the dialogue in Hullbreaker HM changes if you're in the Maelstrom.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How likely is it that I can get into a static as a samurai

Should I just get a healer to 70

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Something I noticed during late MSQ: Raubahn referred to my character as "lieutenant" quite a bit. I assume that's Flames-only?

Your GC superiors will always use your rank. I mean, if the WoL was one of your junior officers wouldn't you want to remind them at every opportunity?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Healers aren't in any more demand in statics than anyone else, really.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
So I've tried mixing it up with SMN by incorporating Lucid Dreaming (not a bad thing) with Ruin III. It helps keeps it going in the short-term, but you'll get mana starved real fast.

And it still sucks!

If I'm now supposed to maximize Ruin 3 without using DWT, then what is even the point of DWT in the first place jesus SE why

Archer is fun, though. Most skills are instant cast, so it's easy to move around during the fight.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Anecdotally I see more healers looking for statics than anyone else.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thumbtacks posted:

It's only 8 people. Forming a group is really easy to do, just round up some friends and fill in the rest. FF14 raiding isn't anything like the early WoW days.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

So I've tried mixing it up with SMN by incorporating Lucid Dreaming (not a bad thing) with Ruin III. It helps keeps it going in the short-term, but you'll get mana starved real fast.

And it still sucks!

If I'm now supposed to maximize Ruin 3 without using DWT, then what is even the point of DWT in the first place jesus SE why

Archer is fun, though. Most skills are instant cast, so it's easy to move around during the fight.

Despite SMN seeming incredibly braindead I'm hearing there's a pretty huge swing in DPS from person to person at 70, so there's probably some nuance I'm missing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Timing for bahamut egi seems like it'd be pretty big.

Regarding lucid dreaming, because aetherflow's mp return was halved its required for the ACN classes. SCH and SMN both have MP issues now.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

All of 3.0 took place over 16 days and you can't convince me otherwise

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't know if this is something that requires spoilers, but the mount from the hunt achievement requiring 3000 A Ranks and 2000 S Ranks seems pretty brutal. Pink Peanut, did it unlock for you immediately?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Erg posted:

All of 3.0 took place over 16 days and you can't convince me otherwise

When I went though it I pretended it was happening realtime and they took four to eight two minute naps throughout the day that required setting up a full camp.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

nuru posted:

Despite SMN seeming incredibly braindead I'm hearing there's a pretty huge swing in DPS from person to person at 70, so there's probably some nuance I'm missing.

I guess it's because some people are falling asleep at the keyboard.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nuru posted:

I haven't played SMN since Stormblood hit but what I'm hearing is that the job is a lot more punishing if you mess up your Aetherflow stack management in any way due to the new ways the system works. Its DPS may actually be pretty good when played well though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sinteres posted:

I don't know if this is something that requires spoilers, but the mount from the hunt achievement requiring 3000 A Ranks and 2000 S Ranks seems pretty brutal. Pink Peanut, did it unlock for you immediately?

Yeah I'm never going to be getting this one. At absolute most I'll max mount speed everywhere and even that will take too much time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wonder how much distance you'd have to cover on your mount to make the time spent grinding out seals worthwhile.

Centurio seals at least give xp from the hunts but allied seals...I'm scratching my head trying to think of a good reason to grind those.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Magil Zeal posted:

I haven't played SMN since Stormblood hit but what I'm hearing is that the job is a lot more punishing if you mess up your Aetherflow stack management in any way due to the new ways the system works. Its DPS may actually be pretty good when played well though.

You're also punished pretty badly for dying by losing up to 2 minutes of work on Bahamut Aether.

Compare BLM, which loses out on 30 seconds at most and drops straight into Ice to get full MP again, or RDM, which loses between 0 and 14 GCDs of meter. The fact that SMN's cycle is so long means you have a chance to lose so much more if you gently caress up. So don't gently caress up.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
This is a bit late but regarding the references to the older games, I couldn't have been the only one who knew exactly what the last boss of the lvl 69 dungeon (Castrum Abania) would be after seeing the two first ones.

I had a smile on my face pretty much the whole time after I realized what was going on.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

wait a loving second

SB MSQ spoiler if Lyse decides to leave the Scions because she can't stay neutral anymore, what about the WoL and how they pick and join a grand company? doesn't that make us non-neutral too

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

ilifinicus posted:

wait a loving second

SB MSQ spoiler if Lyse decides to leave the Scions because she can't stay neutral anymore, what about the WoL and how they pick and join a grand company? doesn't that make us non-neutral too

This is probably hand-waved by the fact that the WoL proves his neutrality, regardless of GC status, through actions, helping everyone. Saving the world several times will do that. Neither your GC nor the other two nations care that you decide to stand for Ishgard in the post-3.0 Grand Melee, after all.

National alignments are for lesser mortals who don't slay gods (that no one else can even go near) on a routine, almost daily basis.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Did the final Trial last night, really got our asses saved by the healers time and time again, had to use the healer LB at like 15% and pulled it out in one go. That fight has a lot of poo poo going on.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Meiteron posted:

This is probably hand-waved by the fact that the WoL proves his neutrality, regardless of GC status, through actions, helping everyone. Saving the world several times will do that. Neither your GC nor the other two nations care that you decide to stand for Ishgard in the post-3.0 Grand Melee, after all.

National alignments are for lesser mortals who don't slay gods (that no one else can even go near) on a routine, almost daily basis.

There's also a pretty big difference between having a rank like lieutenant as opposed to "leader of the nation," I'd imagine.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
PLD at 68, and requiescat is everything I ever dreamed it would be. Timings work perfectly too if your dpsing, reapplying goring blade comes up between every 'phase', and the 48 seconds of riot blade will get you to full MP right in time to Requiescat again.

Mild flex note, requiescat buffs heals, and those aren't reduced by Shield Oath. That sure saved a Lakshmi NM run just now.

I'm feeling like oath is a precious resource more and more though, especially if you stance dance a lot. Depends on how valuable defensive utility will be, I guess.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The Otter pet comes from 18 hour Mining/Botany/Fishing venture at level 61.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Minrad posted:

lol that this happens for literally every single game release

idk why people buy physical copies of games, especially via mail order, unless they're prepared to wait for up to a week after the game is actually out

Because last time I ordered the CE it arrived a couple days after release and before early access ended.

I also order physical copies from Amazon all the time and I got Persona 5 six days before it came out so I had half the game done before anyone even touched it. So yeah, I've generally had good luck until now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about Steam.

Yeah try turning off Steam overlay too.

FF14 has had this issue for a few years, it comes and goes.

Disabled the steam overlay, let me play for almost a whole hour before crashing from DirectX again.

Not sure what else I can turn off. AMD doesn't seem to have Catalyst, or if it did I already uninstalled it or some such.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, the last resort is just playing in DX9.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

Well, the last resort is just playing in DX9.

How would I do that? I assume it would also negative impact graphics or some such.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cythereal posted:

How would I do that? I assume it would also negative impact graphics or some such.

On the game launcher there's a config button at the bottom. Click on it and switch to DX9. I personally can't run on DX11, but it's because I'm playing on an old computer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cythereal posted:

The game launcher has an option, its easy as pie to change. It used to default to 9.

It won't be a big difference and unless you're a computer graphics guy you'll probably not even notice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zaphod42 posted:

The game launcher has an option, its easy as pie to change. It used to default to 9.

It won't be a big difference and unless you're a computer graphics guy you'll probably not even notice.

Ah, okay. Will give that a try next.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Anyone with a lore book, is there anything in there about the Keeper of the Entwined Snakes, the hyur in white armor who is always with Kan-E? If you talk to him optionally while tasked with speaking to all the Leaders before unlocking the final MSQ dungeon, he drops some information about himself I found pretty neat. If anyone passed over him and wants to know: He's a former Imperial from Cartenau who Kan-E had spared. It's kinda neat that there are effectively two people close to Eorzean leaders that are former members of the empire, one being a Garlean herself.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 22, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
ULDAH: lol I'm Dalmasca
LOCHS: Hold my beer

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Skaw posted:

Anyone with a lore book, is there anything in there about the Keeper of the Entwined Snakes, the hyur in white armor who is always with Kan-E? If you talk to him optionally while tasked with speaking to all the Leaders before unlocking the final MSQ dungeon, he drops some information about himself I found pretty neat. If anyone passed over him and wants to know: He's a former Imperial from Cartenau who Kan-E had spared. It's kinda neat that there are effectively two people close to Eorzean leaders that are former members of the empire, one being a Garlean herself.

Was three, lest you forget about Eline Roaille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Are people still having a bastard of a time making a new character on Excalibur? I'm trying to decide if I want to start playing tonight, or just try to squeak in there at like 5:00 in the morning EST tomorrow.