Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wizgot posted:

Why can't new threads be made using this app? I would expect it would have been implemented already. Also, how is the forum switch from vBulletin to XenForo going to affect the awful app?

The switch to Xenforo will require rewriting just about everything in all the current forum viewing applications. If we're lucky, there will be a good mobile layout built in so even if it takes a while before the apps are fixed, we can still browse on a phone fairly easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Xenforo update will allow you to create threads, but not posts

It's a new posting paradigm that'll really shake things up

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Wizgot posted:

Why can't new threads be made using this app?

Because the developers are lazy pieces of poo poo.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pretty sure they accept pull requests so if you've got some time :v:

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

falz posted:

I believe thread creation is intentionally omitted for fewer literal shitposts.

If people want to shitpost they are going to shitpost no matter what.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

Because the developers are lazy pieces of poo poo.

And how!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Hell yea

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Inspect Your Gadgets › Awful.apk: Because the developers are lazy pieces of poo poo.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

baka kaba posted:

This loving web 2.0 is bullshit and it'll never catch on for stupid crap like this.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mogomra posted:

This loving web 2.0 is bullshit and it'll never catch on for stupid crap like this.

lol... "Web 2.0".

We on "Web 3.11 for Workgroups".

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
It infuriates me that you can't make threads. Justifying the absence of this feature to reduce shitposting just doesn't cut it for me. Has the developer stated at any point that this is the real reason for the lack of thread making?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wizgot posted:

It infuriates me that you can't make threads. Justifying the absence of this feature to reduce shitposting just doesn't cut it for me. Has the developer stated at any point that this is the real reason for the lack of thread making?

I would donate to a GoFundMe campaign to never include making threads in the app.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It "infuriates" you? Good lord. Find some perspective in life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you considered coding, friend? You could make your very own fork that lets you post threads!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I would donate to a GoFundMe campaign to never include making threads in the app.

This but also replies.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Wizgot posted:

That's cool bro I get it.
Here, let me help you get started.
code:
int MakeNewThread(int forumID, string title, string body, int OPID){
  // this needs to be hardcoded, thanks Radium
  int icoID = 82;
  /* not sure what to put here but it will probably end up with */
  SubmitForm(forumID, icoID, title, body, OPID);
}

Toshimo posted:

:yeah:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wizgot posted:

This is the best post I've seen all day.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thermopyle posted:

This is the best post I've seen all day.

Lawl

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

That's cool bro I get it.
Here, let me help you get started.
code:
int MakeNewThread(int forumID, string title, string body, int OPID){
  // this needs to be hardcoded, thanks Radium
  int icoID = 82;
  /* not sure what to put here but it will probably end up with */
  SubmitForm(forumID, icoID, title, body, OPID);
}
:yeah:

I'm gonna laugh when someone makes 2 billion threads and your 32 bit signed int thread counter overflows.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm gonna laugh when someone makes 2 billion threads and your 32 bit signed int thread counter overflows.

*tugs collar nervously*

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wizgot posted:

Raise Ferg from his feculent grave to ask him.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Wizgot posted:

Wizgot posted:

If people want to shitpost they are going to shitpost no matter what.

Indeed...

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Wizgot posted:

Since you seem to be clueless and everybody is just snarking at you, I'll explain: there is no "developer". This app is done for free, in spare time, by some very generous people. You could see a list if you bothered to read the OP. Nobody has added thread making as a feature because they don't have the time and/or inclination to do so. You are not entitled to demand anything from those people, so please stop being so huffy. You're embarrassing yourself.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm also infuriated and would like my money back from this app. How do I contact your retention department?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Wizgot posted:

you seem upset

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Whenever I click on a forums link and the app opens, it takes me to the correct thread and page, but never to the correct post. Is this a known issue?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I don't think so, I'll have a look at it - the whole 'handle external links' thing is a bit screwy and I've been poking at it a bit recently

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peachfart posted:

I'm also infuriated and would like my money back from this app. How do I contact your retention department?

Sir, this is the Awful app for Android phones and tablets

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Whenever I click on a forums link and the app opens, it takes me to the correct thread and page, but never to the correct post. Is this a known issue?

Just chiming in to say I think this describes my experience too (Pixel, but across last couple phones too). I think if you follow the link, it'll load the page but not go to the correct post (instead, it just stays at top of page). Then if you hit back and re-follow the link to the post, I thiiink it usually goes to the post. I may be wrong, but that's how I think it works.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
embeded tweets don't appear to be working properly for me; the text of the tweet shows for a few moments, then only a link is displayed for a few moments, and vice versa, continuously, without end.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Were they working before? It has to run one of Twitter's scripts and it kinda comes in slowly when the network is slow, and sometimes it can't load at all and they stay as a link. If it's a recent thing you could try restarting the app, but it's probably Twitter :shobon:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I've only tried turning on the embedded tweets today for the first time. I'll wait a bit and try again later after restarting my device.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

update: same issue after device restart. I'm using a Samsung S3, Android 4.4.2

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Release Date: May 2012

Ooof

Get a new phone. That poo poo is ancient.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

still does all the stuff I want it to :shrug:

well, like, most of the time anyhow

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

JawKnee posted:

well, like, most of the time anyhow

The simple truth is that developers do not spend time making sure everything is working on 3 year old Android versions. Because, frankly, Android was a pile of poo poo 3 years ago and it sucks to work on.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

that's fair - and if this is a result of my older android version I'll leave it at that. Just figured I should post the issue I was having.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

JawKnee posted:

except be secure.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Taffer posted:

The simple truth is that developers do not spend time making sure everything is working on 3 year old Android versions. Because, frankly, Android was a pile of poo poo 3 years ago and it sucks to work on.

Hey man I check things on a Jelly Bean emulator that runs like garbage! It takes literally 30 minutes to load a page with videos and tweets on it but they load dammit! We strive to provide a truly awful experience on the full, terrifying range of goon devices

Nah there's no real reason it shouldn't work, especially if it's stuck in some weird loop. It's just JavaScript in a webpage :can: - if you can use the Android System Webview on the play store (which I can't get a link to on my phone :v: ) that might solve some issues, and is probably a good idea in general

Otherwise is this happening with all tweets or just some of them? A link to a post that's doing it would be good. And do they ever actually load?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Isn't the API used for tweet embedding also rate limited at the scale of the forums themselves?