Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't help that someone decided that every Saw movie had to have a bigger twist than the last one. Probably the only good ones were 1 (with Jigsaw pretending to be dead the whole time) and 4 (where it turned out that the movie was taking place during 3.)

The only series I've seen do this in a remotely clever way, whatever else I think about the movies, is the Final Destination series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fsmhunk posted:

Why must everything be subversion?

Not everything is. Bay really obviously is, though. Sexual insecurity and objectification and the toxicity of the American male archetype aren't subtext for 'Pain and Gain,' they're the plot. Transformers has the same deal: propaganda and indoctrination are the plot. He's gotten progressively less subtle in every movie. If he makes Transformers 6, it'll just be him holding up an Optimus toy, yelling 'you loving idiots, he's an rear end in a top hat, please understand this'

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 22, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The only series I've seen do this in a remotely clever way, whatever else I think about the movies, is the Final Destination series.

Final Destination did no wrongs. The log truck scene, I mean c'mon

Also everything else about it

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How many movies has tom cruise returned from the dead now? At least 3, just in the last few years.

Oh, mi3 too, so four!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

got any sevens posted:

How many movies has tom cruise returned from the dead now? At least 3, just in the last few years.

Oh, mi3 too, so four!

MI3 came out long enough ago that I question your definition of "the last few years." Wait are you counting Minority Report, because that's even older and he doesn't die he just get;s put in the same jail as Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man? What movies are you talking about? because I got Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat, and the Mummy., does he die and come back to life in Oblivion?

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
When we had a Pirates marathon with drinking game, one of the best rules was to raise your glass whenever it turns out he's not dead! Probably happens in a lot of movies, regardless of Tom Cruise.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I used to have a Halloween tradition of going to see the new Saw movie in theaters every Halloween for years. I thought the series was pretty fun all the way through. At least, that's how I remembered it. I watched all 7 of them leading up to Halloween like 2 years ago after not seeing any for years, and man, after like 3 or 4, they really do not hold up at all.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Peanut President posted:

God I wish every single person who argues that the transformers movies are clever satire were forced to watch them over and over for the rest of their lives.

No no no nooo!

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a really good gag in Pain and Gain that, I think, sums up Bay's view of America. The three morons are doing a home defence seminar, talking about how to deal with a rapist. Mark's character, Daniel Lugo, brings up his gorgeous trophy girlfriend and asks for a volunteer, saying 'who wants to be a rapist?' and the entire crowd stick their hand up. There's twpo interpretations of that scene. Either Bay thinks rape is hilarious, or he's showing you the sort of people that do: A bunch of sad middle aged men.

My interpretation is that all these (married) men have the hots for the girlfriend to the point that they don't mind playing something as horrible as a rapist, just so they can get really close to her for a short while. So yes I agree that it's really a bunch of sad middle aged man, taking an opportunity to be lecherous with a bullshit excuse to justify their behavior to their partners.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 22, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Star Wars is close enough to The Hidden Fortress that there's an apocryphal story of Akira Kurosawa just showing up in George Lucas' office and staring at him until Lucas cut him a check.

Wait, what? Do you have any more on this? I was under the impression that Lucas and Kurosawa actually ended up being fairly close, to the extent that Lucas pretty much browbeat Fox into releasing Kagemusha in the USA.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

No no no nooo!

My interpretation is that all these (married) men have the hots for the girlfriend to the point that they don't mind playing something as horrible as a rapist, just so they can get really close to her for a short while. So yes I agree that it's really a bunch of sad middle aged man, taking an opportunity to be lecherous with a bullshit excuse to justify their behavior to their partners.

That's in keeping with my reading. I guess the two readings are more separated by the intended (loaded term, I know) audience reaction. Are you supposed to laugh with these characters ('haha, yeah, I'd be a rapist for her, lol) or at them?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Snowman_McK posted:

That's in keeping with my reading. I guess the two readings are more separated by the intended (loaded term, I know) audience reaction. Are you supposed to laugh with these characters ('haha, yeah, I'd be a rapist for her, lol) or at them?

It might be both. In that scene you are looking at three scumbags "integrating" themselves in a gated community full of upstanding, polite (but really just rich) citizens. And yet those citizens leap at the opportunity to roleplay the opposite of the values they preach, just to get close to a beautiful woman. These people live the life that Lugo (Wahlberg) has been longing for, but at that moment they are closer to him than they would ever want to admit (to both others and to themselves).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

It might be both. In that scene you are looking at three scumbags "integrating" themselves in a gated community full of upstanding, polite (but really just rich) citizens. And yet those citizens leap at the opportunity to roleplay the opposite of the values they preach, just to get close to a beautiful woman. These people live the life that Lugo (Wahlberg) has been longing for, but at that moment they are closer to him than they would ever want to admit (to both others and to themselves).

You're also looking at two different versions of the American masculine ideal (really, more the id, I guess) staring at each other. The gang is hyper buff, confident, capable of violence to get what they want and to defend what they've got. The suburban husbands have the houses and the cars and the stable nuclear family. They're both missing what the other has, and its absence is making one group miserable and turned the others into murderers (well, attempted murderers at that point)

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 22, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pain & Gain is an amazing movie. I hope Bay makes another one of his coked-out Coen brothers stories again. It's kind of the Bad Boys II of criminal movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It was probably Bay who suggested they cast Hailey Steinfeld to star in the Bumblebee movie, since she's the only young actress he knows to have been in a Coen brothers movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Skwirl posted:

MI3 came out long enough ago that I question your definition of "the last few years." Wait are you counting Minority Report, because that's even older and he doesn't die he just get;s put in the same jail as Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man? What movies are you talking about? because I got Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat, and the Mummy., does he die and come back to life in Oblivion?

Kiiiiinda. At one point he dies, but is still alive at the end of the movie. Schroedinger's Cruise.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this! posted:

Hey, guys, bad movies? Remember those? Lionsgate sure does as they've officially announced the return of the Saw series with this Halloween's Jigsaw. For a movie that's supposed to be coming out this year we know very little about it.

Speaking of studios not bothering to promote their stuff, people have apparently known for a year that the upcoming horror/scifi film God Particle is going to be the 3rd Cloverfield movie but sites like imdb and box office mojo still have UNTITLED CLOVERFIELD FILM appearing on their lists of October releases.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 22, 2017

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I used to have a Halloween tradition of going to see the new Saw movie in theaters every Halloween for years. I thought the series was pretty fun all the way through. At least, that's how I remembered it. I watched all 7 of them leading up to Halloween like 2 years ago after not seeing any for years, and man, after like 3 or 4, they really do not hold up at all.

I liked part 6, when he goes after the insurance company employees. It doesn't feel as bogged down in the mythology as the other sequels.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i just don't know if i can get into the saw remake without it connecting to a wider universe of movies :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wait, what? Do you have any more on this? I was under the impression that Lucas and Kurosawa actually ended up being fairly close, to the extent that Lucas pretty much browbeat Fox into releasing Kagemusha in the USA.

It probably never happened, but that's pretty much the whole story. Star Wars was the biggest movie in the world and Kurosawa just stares at George Lucas until Lucas breaks out the check book.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The title for Jurassic World's sequel has been unveiled

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Whooooooooooooooooo caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaares

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Jurassic World: Kingdom Hearts

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So are they just remaking Jurassic Park 2 this time

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

CharlestheHammer posted:

So are they just remaking Jurassic Park 2 this time

The last one was already a remake of Jurassic Park 2. The poster makes this one look like a Planet of the Apes-style follow-up. I don't know - maybe this Bayona character will pull a rabbit out of a hat and make a halfway decent dinosaur movie.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I wonder how many movies Chris Pratt is contracted for. It'd be funny if they locked him in before he got big and every movie is just Chris Pratt giving less and less of a poo poo.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Help! We can't shoot the dinosaurs! They're protected by plot contrivances!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

well why not posted:

Pain & Gain is an amazing movie. I hope Bay makes another one of his coked-out Coen brothers stories again. It's kind of the Bad Boys II of criminal movies.

Pain & Gain is easily the second best Captain America movie.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Remember the Saw movie where the evil plan all along was to punish the cop for not checking his doors and corners.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bar Crow posted:

Help! We can't shoot the dinosaurs! They're protected by plot contrivances!

Yep, if the next movie had a character named Turok and promised me mass dino death this side of Chicxulub, I'd be first in line.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Gerard Butler must prevent dinosaurs from killing former President Aaron Eckhart when a theme park breaks down, in Jurassic World: Kingdom has Fallen

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They made two Saw games and the second one had kind of an interesting twist to it. When you start the game you're put in a tutorial area playing a character who isn't the main character of the game. When you get to the end of the tutorial you're racing across a balance beam with a person on another one above you with only one of you being allowed to escape the trap house. If you win the race or fall off it's kind of the same result as the game proper starts.

When you get to the end of the campaign you discover that you're playing as the person you were racing against in the tutorial and if you survived the tutorial then the main character fails and is killed

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I liked part 6, when he goes after the insurance company employees. It doesn't feel as bogged down in the mythology as the other sequels.
Oh that wasn't 4? I've forgotten already. That one was good though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, 6 is the only one past the first three that's even worth watching, and even then the Jigsaw plot kinda drags it down. Peter Outerbridge is a dope actor though.

I will say, I appreciate a series that makes Tobin Bell and Costas Mandylor into horror icons.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Part four is where Donnie Walberg gets his head crushed by giant ice blocks.

I got dragged to all those movies, and I think only saw that one willingly because I heard it was good.

It was not.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

I will say, I appreciate a series that makes Tobin Bell and Costas Mandylor into horror icons.

Some time after I watched the first three or four Saw movies (I tapped out somewhere around that point, I remember only seeing the first two because I worked at a video game store that sold used DVDs, so I could just borrow them for free), I randomly picked The Firm on Netflix or Prime or whatever ... and lo and behold, there's Tobin Bell as an assassin with the speed of an Olympic runner.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timby posted:

Some time after I watched the first three or four Saw movies, I randomly picked The Firm on Netflix or Prime or whatever ... and lo and behold, there's Tobin Bell as an assassin with the speed of an Olympic runner.

It's great watching Seinfeld and seeing random character actors pop up. Tobin Bell was in one. Dayton Callie was a cab driver.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Young Freud posted:

Yep, if the next movie had a character named Turok and promised me mass dino death this side of Chicxulub, I'd be first in line.

I'd watch Turok. I hope it takes place on a really misty island. I hope there's a scene where Turok uses bow and arrow and a bad guy makes a racist Indian joke. Turok then just shoots him with the cranial drill. And quips "A Native American just blew your mind"

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 22, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

It's great watching Seinfeld and seeing random character actors pop up. Tobin Bell was in one. Dayton Callie was a cab driver.

Seinfeld and the original Law & Order are both great for that -- Law & Order because they just grabbed every actor who was doing off-Broadway, Seinfeld because they could just grab anyone off the lot.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

He also shows up in one of my fav XFiles episodes "Brand X"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, it's a trip when suddenly in pops Anna Gunn or Jon Voight!

• Locked thread